• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Darkman M

Meus Renaissance said:
Something odd happened when
Ricketts was 'training' me
. Before, in Dead Eye, the markers would appear as you moved the LS across a body, now you have to press RB to mark them. I think this is better, especially for duels.

Yeah level 3 dead eye is easily the best .

Meus Renaissance said:
Something odd happened when
Ricketts was 'training' me
. Before, in Dead Eye, the markers would appear as you moved the LS across a body, now you have to press RB to mark them. I think this is better, especially for duels.

That is the difference between Dead Eye levels two and three. You are able to manually select your targets and if you like you can just treat it like Dead Eye level one and fire without the automated targeting.

NG28

I'm looking for Gordo....do I need to keep killing boars til he spawns or is he in a specific location in the circle?

UrbanRats said:
But Rockstar said the lasso WAS in MP, they said it in the 1 hour phone calls podcast thing.

Whoever said that was obviously confused, as it's definitely not. I've seen a multiplayer unlock list, and it's not on it, and we're far from the only people complaining about it's omission.

Raide

Marvie_3 said:
I don't know, but now I have to try it. :lol

I am also thinking about putting someone on the train tracks and adding bait and seeing if I can create a monster roadkill. :lol

I will also have to try dragging someone behind me on a horse covered in bait. :D

JambiBum

Raide said:
I am also thinking about putting someone on the train tracks and adding bait and seeing if I can create a monster roadkill. :lol

I will also have to try dragging someone behind me on a horse covered in bait. :D

I was herding cattle earlier tonight and there was a train getting robbed by outlaws. The gun scared my cattle off and 8 of them got smashed by the train :lol :lol

Raide

JambiBum said:
I was herding cattle earlier tonight and there was a train getting robbed by outlaws. The gun scared my cattle off and 8 of them got smashed by the train :lol :lol

:lol

Like Meaty Fireworks. :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
Raide said:

Two more splendid ideas! :lol

JambiBum said:
I lost 6 of mine that way. Cow corpses were flying all over! :lol

Noisepurge said:
Im not sure if this has been answered but can i swap out the golden guns for regular ones? They are ugly! :D

Yes. Go to the main menu and select Weapons. Go to your pistol/revolver and move your stick LEFT or RIGHT if you have more than one weapon of the same category.

Hyphen

Downhome said:
Wow. I'm at 21hr 41min and I'm only 32.7% done. :lol

I spent at least a few hours earlier this afternoon doing nothing but hunting. I'm not even to
Mexico
yet. Heck, I haven't even been to the northeast part of the map yet.

I'm similar - It's been 21 hours, and I'm at 21%. Like you, I haven't been South of the San Luis River, or North of the MacFarlane's Ranch. The fact that I don't fast travel anywhere is probably a big contributing factor. It's just that I find it so much fun to ride, and take everything all in as the sun sets/rises. Beautiful stuff. And yes, hunting really is a lot of fun.

Lotan

Wow, what can I say?

I just finished the game, and damn...everything was so good. This is without a shadow of a doubt the single best game I have ever played.

Ever.

wRATH2x

Banned
I just
reached Mexico and Irish left me(that motherfucker). I met up with Lee Van Cleef and he taught me the Dead Eye 3, which was awesome

eXistor

Well mp is out for me. I can't get my stupid modem/router to set NAT to open. I've turned on UPnP, forwarded the correct ports and everything, but it still says it's set to Strict. I'm pretty sure its my make of modem that's causing it (KPN Experia box, used only in the Netherlands), but it effectively means I can't ever play online. RDR is the first time in about 2 years I even wanted to try online, but alas.

I must say on the whole I am disappointed with the game. There's so much they absolutely nailed and don't get me wrong; ultimately I really like the game, but there's so much more they could have done to make it more memorable. The world and its presentation are second to none, but honestly what is there to do really? There are a fuck-ton of cool locations to find and when you get there there is literally nothing to do. It's just a fantastic looking wrapper. If the game were an rpg, you would get that adventure-itch when you got to a cool new location: what kind of monsters are here and what loot will they drop? Any secret chests to find? Maybe some awesome new equipment. RDR basically offers nothing like that. I know its not an rpg, but I feel like most locations are wasted like this. Sometimes you get to a new town and what can you do? Open a drawer to find $4,- or something, shoot the townspeople with no repurcussion. If you stick to missions the game works its magic, but if you go it alone, I find the game to be really lacking in the fun department. Random encounters are always the same and offer little to no variety. I find myself skipping these, because there is almost no reward and why would I want to do the exact same encounter 20 times? GTAIV gets a lot of shit, (most of it undeserved if you ask me, it's a good-to-great game) but at least you could easily entertain yourself inbetween missions. I'm not gonna be playing poker, play 5-finger filet or any of the bullshit minigames anyway (I did play them, but they all suck).

I hope this game gets expansions like GTAIV where they address these faults, but as it is it's certainly worthwhile, but it's not a complete game imo.

Marvie_3

Banned
Jumped in a cow pen as I was working towards the 'kill one of every animal' achievement. Right after I gunned down a cow, a frickin bull charged me from behind and killed me. :lol

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
A Mexican on a cliff was getting ready to throw dynamite at me.

I shot him.

He fell off the cliff.

The dynamite in his hands detonated and the explosion caused him to be thrown up and into the river.

His scream was satisfying.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but how does the weapon system work? Is it just a case of having enough money, or are some of them only available at certain points in the game?

Lotan

Opus Angelorum said:
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but how does the weapon system work? Is it just a case of having enough money, or are some of them only available at certain points in the game?

A little of both. You have to buy most of them at a store and they unlock over time. I believe the unlocks are tied to the game's fame system.

Lotan said:
Wow, what can I say?

I just finished the game, and damn...everything was so good. This is without a shadow of a doubt the single best game I have ever played.

Ever.

You're still on the honeymoon. It'll pass.

Walshicus

Ben2749 said:
Oh, and all the gambling games should have been made playable in multiplayer also. They're so damn good (so much so they could be XBLA games), it's criminal they're not playable online. Especially Poker.

I really hope some of these omissions are addressed with DLC.
They *need* to expand the multiplayer going forward. Minigames, lasso, trains... more things for 16 people to do.

I'm loving it as is right now, don't get me wrong.

Lotan said:
A little of both. You have to buy most of them at a store and they unlock over time. I believe the unlocks are tied to the game's fame system.

Thanks.

Just another, how much ammunition is available? Do you have to stock up before leaving, or is it readily available from downed enemies?

Marvie_3

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
Better tiers of weapons unlock for purchase as you move through the game.

Edit: beaten

Dabanton

Marvie_3 said:
Jumped in a cow pen as I was working towards the 'kill one of every animal' achievement. Right after I gunned down a cow, a frickin bull charged me from behind and killed me. :lol

Yeah i accidentally opened the gate at Bonnies place and a bull got out then it started charging at me whilst i tried to lasso it. But it wasn't having it and keep shoving me off.

I finally legged it into a shop with the bull right behind me. :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
Dabanton said:
Yeah i accidentally opened the gate at Bonnies place and a bull got out then it started charging at me whilst i tried to lasso it. But it wasn't having it and keep shoving me off.

I finally legged it into a shop with the bull right behind me. :lol
Yeah that's where I was too. I had never noticed the bull in there before. Damn thing charged me from behind and gored me like a matador. :lol

:lol Mexican
Al-Pacino, he looks and speaks just like him. "You looking at me?"

9gbslt.jpg

eXistor

chandoog said:
The expression of the guy on the right :lol
While I was typing my little post up there, I had my game paused at exactly this moment! I was chuckling to myself about both Al Pacino and the doofus on the right.

Dabanton said:
Why can't you skin the dogs? you take it's meat but the fur stays on.
Sometimes you just take the spoils but the carcass remains untouched visually, just one of the many little bugs in the game.

Darklord

Banned
Where in Thieves landing do you search to find Scrap 1 of the Bollard Twins outfit? Not really sure what I'm looking for. Also, where's the tailor in Thieves landing? Doesn't seem to be on my map. 0_0

Edit: Nevermind.:D

Where do you find more treasure maps? I'm a little into Mexico at the moment, and I've only come across the very first one you get near the start of the game.

eXistor said:
Well mp is out for me. I can't get my stupid modem/router to set NAT to open. I've turned on UPnP, forwarded the correct ports and everything, but it still says it's set to Strict. I'm pretty sure its my make of modem that's causing it (KPN Experia box, used only in the Netherlands), but it effectively means I can't ever play online. RDR is the first time in about 2 years I even wanted to try online, but alas.

I must say on the whole I am disappointed with the game. There's so much they absolutely nailed and don't get me wrong; ultimately I really like the game, but there's so much more they could have done to make it more memorable. The world and its presentation are second to none, but honestly what is there to do really? There are a fuck-ton of cool locations to find and when you get there there is literally nothing to do. It's just a fantastic looking wrapper. If the game were an rpg, you would get that adventure-itch when you got to a cool new location: what kind of monsters are here and what loot will they drop? Any secret chests to find? Maybe some awesome new equipment. RDR basically offers nothing like that. I know its not an rpg, but I feel like most locations are wasted like this. Sometimes you get to a new town and what can you do? Open a drawer to find $4,- or something, shoot the townspeople with no repurcussion. If you stick to missions the game works its magic, but if you go it alone, I find the game to be really lacking in the fun department. Random encounters are always the same and offer little to no variety. I find myself skipping these, because there is almost no reward and why would I want to do the exact same encounter 20 times? GTAIV gets a lot of shit, (most of it undeserved if you ask me, it's a good-to-great game) but at least you could easily entertain yourself inbetween missions. I'm not gonna be playing poker, play 5-finger filet or any of the bullshit minigames anyway (I did play them, but they all suck).

I hope this game gets expansions like GTAIV where they address these faults, but as it is it's certainly worthwhile, but it's not a complete game imo.

Did you seriously just say that there's not much to do? :lol Did you try doing the challenges? Going for medals in the missions? Bounty hunting? Doing all the objectives for getting the different outfits? Playing Poker/Liars Dice (which are good enough to be XBLA games if only they were online)?

This game is overflowing with stuff to do, and the only way I can see somebody getting bored quickly is if all they do is fall into the trap of just running around and shooting things at random, which I noticed was the case in GTA4.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
This game reminds me more of Assassin's Creed 2 than GTA, probably the mix of horses, looting bodies, and the unique setting/atmosphere (for a videogame, anyway).

And voice actor for the main character is fucking excellent. I mean, some of the best voice acting I've ever heard. Some of the other acting (I'm looking at you, rancher chick that saves your life at the beginning) is downright embarrassing next to him.

eXistor

Ben2749 said:
Did you seriously just say that there's not much to do? :lol Did you try doing the challenges? Going for medals in the missions? Bounty hunting? Playing Poker/Liars Dice (which are good enough to be XBLA games if only they were online)?
Let me restate that: There's not much interesting stuff to do. I've already said that I hated the minigames (I admit that Liars Dice is pretty cool), so those are off. The challeges are pretty good, if a bit too much of an exercise in repetition. Bounty hunting is lame as hell. It's the same damn thing over and over again, I've never had any variation in those. Just go to the last known location shoot the badguys, lasso the bounty and ride back to town. That's it. Going for medals in missions? That just means doing them over and over until you get gold. Again, an exercise in repetition.

I rode through the desert yesterday when a woman in a neglige next to a covered wagon cried for help. I came nearer and suddenly 3 thugs came out of said wagon and tried to rob me. I quickly shot them, went to the woman, when she said "Please don't kill me, I'll change my life. Here, take this. It's all I have", gave me 200$ and ran away. :lol

Ben2749 said:
Just shoot them off. That's kind of the point; to make things interesting.

lol, well sure. But then I just feel like they're just catering to the ADD crowd that thinks "me must shoot things!". Not to mention it's frustrating having the game completely diminish the idea of having one of the fastest horses in the game when a bunch of bandits rubberband up to you doing mach 3.

I feel like Rockstar tried so hard to create this authentic wild west atmosphere, but then their fat fingers got in the way in regard to the gameplay. Some of it at least.

I'm going for the Buckin' Awesome achievement where you break three different types of breeds. However even though I can see in my stats how many horses in general I've broken, I'm not sure which breed they were specifically. Is there anywhere in the Stats menu where it would show this?

+Aliken+ said:
Thanks but I don't mean a comparison on the online for Ps3 and 360.
It's just that if I end up playing more the single player than the multiplayer I'll probably go for the 360 version however if the online mode is really good and worth it I will get the Ps3 version as I have a longer friend list.

Playing with a bunch of friends>>>playing MP without friends. That might seem obvious but it's really the case in this. I get a lot of errors switching game types, going from gang match back to free roam sometimes never leaves the load screen forcing to back out of the game altogether. No one really seems to want to play any modes except free roam in my experience (10 hours played time in MP) so if you have friends and like free roam, a lot, you will like this.

PoweredBySoy said:
I feel like Rockstar tried so hard to create this authentic wild west atmosphere, but then their fat fingers got in the way in regard to the gameplay. Some of it at least.

To make it more authentic, it would surely mean there would be even less to do?

PoweredBySoy said:

Did you consider the possibility that it's simply "not to your tastes", instead of throwing insinuations of poor game design around? Because I'm sure the countless people lavishing praise upon the game, including all the people here that have contributed to 228-page long topic you're posting in right now, would all take issue with that.

Top Bottom