• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Hyphen

Darklord said:
I'm 20% in at 7 hours. :(

Wow! Are you doing much exploring or hunting at all, or are you strictly going through the main plot parts of the game?

Patrick Bateman said:
I rode through the desert yesterday when a woman in a neglige next to a covered wagon cried for help. I came nearer and suddenly 3 thugs came out of said wagon and tried to rob me. I quickly shot them, went to the woman, when she said "Please don't kill me, I'll change my life. Here, take this. It's all I have", gave me 200$ and ran away. :lol

:lol
I was watching my nephew play the other day - He spotted 2 figures on the edge of a cliff, so he rode up to them. When he got there, a man on a horse shot another guy (who was on foot), causing him to tumble down the cliff. The shooter then turned to John Marston, said "Howdy", and then rode off... :D

Opus Angelorum said:
To make it more authentic, it would surely mean there would be even less to do?

I'm not speaking out against the variety of things to do in the game, but more the way they were approached in some cases. In this case I was talking about the rapidly spawning 'rescue bandits' they appear while you're transporting a bounty. It's an annoying contrivance which only seems to exist because Rockstar feels we must be constantly shooting things. To me the game would be much more interesting if my fast mustang, which I worked hard to get, was actually able to outrun he pursuing bandits.

And in addition to the shooting-things complaint, there's been plenty of times where the game complete devolves into a shooting gallery, where Marston lays waste to 50 guys using an assortment of generous auto-aim and Dead Eye. At this point I wouldn't be too surprised if the next level has me riding minigun in a helicopter.

I don't know. I love the game for what it tries to be, but it's definitely flawed.

Meier

Dabanton said:
Fucking cougars just had the pleasure of three attacking me one after the other man they are fast. :lol
I had one of those world encounters in tall trees.. I'm taking a guy back to Blackwater on my horse to help out a lawman. I fight off bandits a few times and am about halfway.. just leaving Tall Trees to get to Great Plains. I see a bear and swap over to my buffalo rifle and take him down with one shot between the eyes from horseback. I ride up to skin him since I know there's an achievement for skinning enough bears.

BOOM, out of nowhere two others appear and I'm dead. Oops. :lol

Barrett2

Hogtied a woman and put her on the railroad tracks; waited for the train... Feels good, man.

Im' having mixed success putting out bait. Sometimes I use it and its a little critter holocaust, other times I use it and nothing happens.

Darklord

Banned
Fuck Horseshoes. Fuck it to hell.

Hyphen said:
Wow! Are you doing much exploring or hunting at all, or are you strictly going through the main plot parts of the game?

Yeah I did a fair bit of exploring, I'm not even out of the first area yet.

Ben2749 said:
Did you consider the possibility that it's simply "not to your tastes", instead of throwing insinuations of poor game design around? Because I'm sure the countless people lavishing praise upon the game, including all the people here that have contributed to 228-page long topic you're posting in right now, would all take issue with that.

That very well could be, but I'm certainly not feeling intimidated by 'countless lavishing people' to where I don't feel like I can criticize. The rabid Gaf fanbase is free to argue, but just bring something better than "this is game of forever you just don't get it!".

DarkKyo

PoweredBySoy said:
I don't know. I love the game for what it tries to be, but it's definitely flawed.
So you'd be happy with less action? I think you should move on to Animal Crossing if this is the case.

Anyone know any spots in the first two areas of campaign where you can find boar? I am pretty bored of the campaign's stupid missions so I have been doing all the challenges but I fear I am now stuck on challenges centered around areas I have no access to yet :(

Bumblebeetuna said:
Anyone know any spots in the first two areas of campaign where you can find boar? I am pretty bored of the campaign's stupid missions so I have been doing all the challenges but I fear I am now stuck on challenges centered around areas I have no access to yet :(

I ran into a boar up in the cliffs NE of Armadillo, but only one. They're rare in New Austin it seems, and there are no boar markings for that spot on the paper map.

If you want a Rockstar sandbox game with next to no shooting whatsoever, play Bully. It's an excellent game, and I will readily agree it was refreshing to not be asked to go off and kill people all the time. But this is a Western game, so expecting otherwise is just silly. And considering how many different things there are to do on the side, and the variety in missions, I still don't understand how you can say there's too much shooting. GTA games are still a hundred times more gun-orientated, as are other, non-Rockstar, Western games.

Bumblebeetuna said:

If you keep doing challenges without advancing the story and opening up new areas, you're going to hit a wall at some point. Otherwise you'd just have every type of animal and flower everywhere, which would not only be a bit dull, but it would be a bit off-putting when you get mauled by a bear within a few minutes of starting the game. :lol

Anyway, you encounter boars near Thieves Landing. I think you can head there right away; it's just east of MacFarlane's ranch.

Hyphen

Bumblebeetuna said:

Yeah, North West of the MacFarlane's ranch. It's not on the paper map, but it's on the in-game map. That's where I got my kills for them. Be careful though, because there are wolves and cougars around there too.

Darklord said:
Yeah I did a fair bit of exploring, I'm not even out of the first area yet.

Oh, ok. Strange how you've completed so much though. Maybe I'm just doing too much exploring... :D

PoweredBySoy said:
I'm not speaking out against the variety of things to do in the game, but more the way they were approached in some cases. In this case I was talking about the rapidly spawning 'rescue bandits' they appear while you're transporting a bounty. It's an annoying contrivance which only seems to exist because Rockstar feels we must be constantly shooting things. To me the game would be much more interesting if my fast mustang, which I worked hard to get, was actually able to outrun he pursuing bandits.

And in addition to the shooting-things complaint, there's been plenty of times where the game complete devolves into a shooting gallery, where Marston lays waste to 50 guys using an assortment of generous auto-aim and Dead Eye. At this point I wouldn't be too surprised if the next level has me riding minigun in a helicopter.

You mean you haven't turned auto aim off?

painey

after beating it i've completely lost any will to play again :( I wish it had better single player achievements for free roaming instead of this multiplayer bollocks.

Ok so when checking General Store I have the papers with some of the name of these breeds although it says "Unavailable". Does this mean I have broken these horses or I have yet to?

Edit: Found the info. This is how you get the Buckin' Awesome trophy/achievement.

In order to unlock this achievement, you have to lasso one of these horses in the wild and break them. All three horses can be found in all three areas of the game, but some are more common in particular areas than others. The way to track whether you've broken them or not is to go to the local General Stores and look at the last three horse licenses available. At the start, they are all marked "unavailable". Once you've broken one of the horses, they will become available for purchase.

The Kentucky Saddler - A golden-colored horse with yellow/gold hair, this one can be broken during a quest/mission that you do at Bonnie's ranch. When you go out to break horses with her and her father, she will tell you to break a golden-colored horse. That is the Kentucky Saddler.

Hungarian Half-Bred - A white/grey-colored horse with a black nose, this one can typically be found in a plain to the east of Escalera. If you look on your map in-game, you'll see this plain marked with three running horses on it. You can also find them in the far east of Mexico, out by El Matadero and Casa Madrugada.

American Standardbred - A completely black horse, this one can typically be found in a plain to the south of Beecher's Hope in West Elizabeth.

Again, these are the MOST COMMON places to find these horses. It does mean they are the ONLY places. Rarely, you might find one of these horses accidentally mixed into the fold in New Austin or West Elizabeth.

Majine said:
Got that trophy, but can't get the Liars Dice. Having a hard time winning two times in a row, how am I suppose to make it to 5? T_T

I got the Liar's Dice achievement in Mexico. I don't know if it's different down there but the two guys at the table were both idiots and it only took me 3 tries to win with all 5. Lost only one dice on the other two attempts.

Wiggum2007

Fallout-NL said:
You mean you haven't turned auto aim off?

I want to turn auto-aim off, but it just makes on-horse combat such a hassle, unless I use Deadeye constantly, which feels like just as much of a handicap as auto-aim.

Wiggum2007

lawblob said:
Count me in the group that doesn't like Dead-eye 3. Just seems to add an unnecessary layer of work to the process.

Man I can't wait for Dead-eye 3, I'm sick of this automated bullshit, I'd rather have level 1 than this.

Fallout-NL said:
Dead-eye is a little overpowered, it's fun though.

Aesthetically it's pretty cool, but I kind of wish they would have just restricted it to dueling. During gunfights it takes me out of the atmosphere of the game. I want epic, long-lasting gunfights - with the sounds, the banter, the graphics, cowboys blasting back and forth.... Not to mention it's just plain overpowered.

I agree with Wiggum. It feels like these crutches - Dead Eye and auto-aim - are really just there for the spastic horse combat, where they're needed. On foot the game is much more fun with auto-aim off and minimal Dead Eye.

eXistor

Ben2749 said:
If you want a Rockstar sandbox game with next to no shooting whatsoever, play Bully. It's an excellent game, and I will readily agree it was refreshing to not be asked to go off and kill people all the time. But this is a Western game, so expecting otherwise is just silly. And considering how many different things there are to do on the side, and the variety in missions, I still don't understand how you can say there's too much shooting. GTA games are still a hundred times more gun-orientated, as are other, non-Rockstar, Western games.
I dunno. I mean, you're right this is a Rockstar game so I did expect it to be GTA in the Wild West (which it is). But there's so much more to be done with a Western setting. You don't have to be a cowboy you know. I find the concept of a treasure hunter set in the Old West much more interesting than being a cowboy. Instead of being armed with a variety of guns, you come equiped with a pick and shovel. Dynamite to gain entrance to new areas. Treasure maps with lots oflittle hints to follow. Herbs and flowers to pick and use in recipes etc.

But I'm being too negative. RDR really is a great achievement. I'm just not convinced everything in the game is as good as it should/could have been.

Barrett2

I think Dead-Eye could have been more interesting had they limited it to only 3 shots per use. Instead, when using a six shooter and a little patience, you can wipe-out an entire group of dudes in one swoop. If they had just limited the number of bullets you can squeeze off with each use, it would have made gunfights a lot more strategic.

Wiggum2007

PoweredBySoy said:
I agree with Wiggum. It feels like these crutches - Dead Eye and auto-aim - are really just there for the spastic horse combat, where they're needed. On foot the game is much more fun with auto-aim off and minimal Dead Eye.

Yeah it bugs me that really all they needed to do was fix the control scheme so that during combat we can keep our horse running with the left thumbstick, rather than this awkward control scheme where you have to alternate between aiming with the right thumbstick and tapping A to keep your horse from stopping.

Darklord said:
Where's the scrap of the bollard twins outfit in Thieves landing? I thought I found it but apparently not.:lol

It is in
that big Warehouse on the right when you enter town from the west. I believe it is on the upper floor somewhere, if memory serves me correctly.

Obviously not much of a spoiler, but tagged just in case people want to find it on their own.

lawblob said:
Count me in the group that doesn't like Dead-eye 3. Just seems to add an unnecessary layer of work to the process.

The best thing about Dead Eye 3 is that it's not Dead Eye 2. I can finally stop shooting innocent bystanders and horses in the leg.

Meus Renaissance said:
Ok so when checking General Store I have the papers with some of the name of these breeds although it says "Unavailable". Does this mean I have broken these horses or I have yet to?

Edit: Found the info. This is how you get the Buckin' Awesome trophy/achievement.

In order to unlock this achievement, you have to lasso one of these horses in the wild and break them. All three horses can be found in all three areas of the game, but some are more common in particular areas than others. The way to track whether you've broken them or not is to go to the local General Stores and look at the last three horse licenses available. At the start, they are all marked "unavailable". Once you've broken one of the horses, they will become available for purchase.

The Kentucky Saddler - A golden-colored horse with yellow/gold hair, this one can be broken during a quest/mission that you do at Bonnie's ranch. When you go out to break horses with her and her father, she will tell you to break a golden-colored horse. That is the Kentucky Saddler.

Hungarian Half-Bred - A white/grey-colored horse with a black nose, this one can typically be found in a plain to the east of Escalera. If you look on your map in-game, you'll see this plain marked with three running horses on it. You can also find them in the far east of Mexico, out by El Matadero and Casa Madrugada.

American Standardbred - A completely black horse, this one can typically be found in a plain to the south of Beecher's Hope in West Elizabeth.

Again, these are the MOST COMMON places to find these horses. It does mean they are the ONLY places. Rarely, you might find one of these horses accidentally mixed into the fold in New Austin or West Elizabeth.
thanks I was looking where the American Standardbred were

U2NUMB

Finally hooked up with a friend and we messed around in a private free roam. I really love how relaxed and fun it is. Looking forward to getting more friends together and going after more gangs and also getting that wanted level up. Fun stuff!

Darklord

Banned
Wiggum2007 said:
It is in
that big Warehouse on the right when you enter town from the west. I believe it is on the upper floor somewhere, if memory serves me correctly.

Obviously not much of a spoiler, but tagged just in case people want to find it on their own.

Thanks!

U2NUMB said:
Finally hooked up with a friend and we messed around in a private free roam. I really love how relaxed and fun it is. Looking forward to getting more friends together and going after more gangs and also getting that wanted level up. Fun stuff!

Yeah it's fun when you have to ride across the map to find the other people..
Sike.

MrDaravon

n00b question that I can't seem to get a quick answer to: This game wasn't on my radar at all until the past couple days and I've got some friends interested in picking it up. Does anything you do or level up in Free Roam carry over to your single player game or vice versa? Or are they completely separate? From what I was able to find it looks like competitive MP is completely separate, but I couldn't seem to get a good answer on the Free Roam thing.

was trying to escape some bandits yesterday and slid down a hill on my horse the game slowed down to a crawl them darkness and up pop the PS3 crossbar.

Also anyone having problem getting the costume from the rockstar social network to work. Keeps telling me I will have it after my next save, but I have yest to get it.

Barrett2

PoweredBySoy said:
The best thing about Dead Eye 3 is that it's not Dead Eye 2. I can finally stop shooting innocent bystanders and horses in the leg.
Shooting innocent horses in the legs is like 90% of the fun i have with this game! :lol

red shoe paul said:
Yeah it's fun when you have to ride across the map to find the other people..
Sike.

Lay a waypoint down, and use transport to teleport there. I wish you could transport from the pause menu, rather than having to go into town, but it's still a lot better than nothing. It's certainly a lot better than in GTA, where if you wanted to get somewhere, you HAD to travel there. Wanted a helicopter, but the nearest one is at the other side of the island you're on? Tough shit, you have to drive it.

kaskade

PoweredBySoy said:
This is true. I think the game would have been fine just staying at dead eye 1. I must say though, when a horse and bandit is running full speed it's pretty funny to shoot the horse and see the bandit go flying.

Seanspeed

Banned
eXistor said:
But I'm being too negative. RDR really is a great achievement. I'm just not convinced everything in the game is as good as it should/could have been.
I think the same could be said about pretty much any game, especially huge games like this with tons of things to do.

I'd say RDR is a case where the positives massively outweigh the negatives. I get frustrated here and there, but then I have a couple hours of absolutely brilliant gaming where any frustration is quickly forgotten.

Goddamn cougars! Every encounter has been similar to this:

Spoilers for a 17-year-old movie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShUgQCI1P_I

Edit:

SailorDaravon said:
n00b question that I can't seem to get a quick answer to: This game wasn't on my radar at all until the past couple days and I've got some friends interested in picking it up. Does anything you do or level up in Free Roam carry over to your single player game or vice versa? Or are they completely separate? From what I was able to find it looks like competitive MP is completely separate, but I couldn't seem to get a good answer on the Free Roam thing.

Single player and multiplayer/Free Roam challenges are separate. In addition, I'm somewhat positive the multiplayer weapons challenges can only be done in versus modes. All the other stuff like Survivalist, Sharpshooter, etc. is Free Roam stuff.

harrytang

Ben2749 said:
Lay a waypoint down, and use transport to teleport there. I wish you could transport from the pause menu, rather than having to go into town, but it's still a lot better than nothing. It's certainly a lot better than in GTA, where if you wanted to get somewhere, you HAD to travel there. Wanted a helicopter, but the nearest one is at the other side of the island you're on? Tough shit, you have to drive it.

why not set the way point and then setup and camp site? im not sure what you mean about going to town to get to places, but its certainly not the only means to fast travel.

Top Bottom