• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Haunted

Kintaro said:
:lol

No, the best part was (big spoiler)
Louisa appears out of nowhere in the final mission and gets blasted on then promptly forgotten about. Shit, I didn't even know it was her. Reyes would never remember her name!
Yeah, I never understood that last part, Reyes was kind of a strange guy. That whole story-section felt kinda weird, tbh. Like, I'm still not sure what the hell they were going for there.

Still, Bonnie was great, here's hoping they'll have some more good characters in West Elisabeth.

jedimike

Kintaro said:
So, I finished the Mexico missions. Wow. What a bunch of shitty ass characters. There were only two characters in the entire thing that I gave a tiny shit for. The rest were scum. Not even fun scum. Just tedious, mind-numbing scum.

This was really a low point in the game. =/

I'm getting very bored with Mexico... I can't wait to unlock the next territory. I'm attacking the missions as quickly as possible (fast travel) to avoid getting distracted with side missions. I absolutely hate traveling across the land here.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Haunted said:
Yeah, I never understood that last part, Reyes was kind of a strange guy. That whole story-section felt kinda weird, tbh. Like, I'm still not sure what the hell they were going for there.

Still, Bonnie was great, here's hoping they'll have some more good characters in West Elisabeth.

Bonnie and Marshall, by far, are the best characters. Oh, well, also the strange from the "I Know You" quests. Creepy.

Reyes and the Mexican Military are simply two sides of the same coin.
Just as corrupt and scummy.
Meanwhile, Marston just keeps on killing for assholes. =/

Reknoc

Finally. West Elizebeth. Was taught a valuable lesson during my third mission about the snowy area
it's full of bears and cougars... fuck the snowy area
. Was kinda spoiled on what the area was like though thanks to freeroam.

Reknoc said:
Finally. West Elizebeth. Was taught a valuable lesson during my third mission about the snowy area
it's full of bears and cougars... fuck the snowy area
. Was kinda spoiled on what the area was like though thanks to freeroam.

I made a point of avoiding it in free roam. Can't wait to take down some bears.

Reknoc

Bungieware said:
I made a point of avoiding it in free roam. Can't wait to take down some bears.

Yea I would have avoided it aswell, infact I don't think I've ever entered it when playing with my friend but it loves to spawn me in Blackwater as soon as I start.

Gor@n

Neo Member
First up this game is fuckin EPIC, but i have an issue. I played a couple missions without activating the assasins outfit and i did it today and it says i have to capture or kill mo van bar, yet he was my first bounty in armadillo, but its not checked off on the list. WTF? I'm always being shot at when i visit Thieves Landing, is it cause i'm honourable/famous? While savin it in town i was gettin shot through the window :lol

Mik2121

Same as you guys. I've only been to the snowy area once because I spawned in Blackwater and I was playing with a friend that wanted to hunt down some bears. We went together but on the way a cougar (of course..) out of nowhere came and killed us both. We respawned in Blackwater again but decided to just go south to New Austin.

Since then, I've not been to the snowy area and
all my current challenges (Hunter, Treasure, Survivalist, etc.. ) are all located there
. Now that I just finished the
Mexico missions
, I'm heading over there and can't wait to get into the snowy forest and get mauled by boars, cougars, bears, etc... :)

(edit - adding some spoiler tags just in case)

edit 2 - And as someone else said, for some reason I don't enjoy roaming around Mexico nearly as much as I enjoy it while around New Austin (specially the area near McFarlane Ranch) and probably the West Elizabeth area (from what I could see the only one time I was there).

Filldough

Xater said:
Any tips for shooting hats of with Dead Eye? I always blow the brain out although I am aiming as high as possible. Obviously that's not good. :lol

Dont use R1, it seems to be an auto kill, just let it slow time, fire gun with R2. As others have said aim high. I've found it to be one of the more difficult things to do in the game to be honest... Thats why I stick to hogtying people and laying em on the tracks... laid back and stress free.

jedimike said:
I'm getting very bored with Mexico... I can't wait to unlock the next territory. I'm attacking the missions as quickly as possible (fast travel) to avoid getting distracted with side missions. I absolutely hate traveling across the land here.

You can just go off to the side of the road and hit select. Start a campsite and then fast travel from there. Or take a stagecoach...

Filldough

Gor@n said:
First up this game is fuckin EPIC, but i have an issue. I played a couple missions without activating the assasins outfit and i did it today and it says i have to capture or kill mo van bar, yet he was my first bounty in armadillo, but its not checked off on the list. WTF? I'm always being shot at when i visit Thieves Landing, is it cause i'm honourable/famous? While savin it in town i was gettin shot through the window :lol

http://www.reddead.net/forums/thread-when-will-rokstar-fix-the-mo-van-barr-bug

I've had same problem, drove me crazy. I just beat the game anyways... I'll go thru again later. The only suggestion I've found involves erasing all of your save games, starting new. Doing all the bonnie missions, and then the first Marshall mission. During that mission, you have to kill the bounty. If you only wound him, Mo Van Bar will not show up. Anyways, it sucks, hopefully its fixed soon.

Mik2121

Filldough said:
Dont use R1, it seems to be an auto kill, just let it slow time, fire gun with R2. As others have said aim high. I've found it to be one of the more difficult things to do in the game to be honest... Thats why I stick to hogtying people and laying em on the tracks... laid back and stress free.
In normal hats, I always point at the sides of the hat and it works.

Amir0x

Banned
Filldough said:
Once you go black, you'll never go back! :lol

i caught a black one and it was rad, but at some point it must have got hurt because its stamina would never recharge full anymore, and it ran out quick and it also limped around a bit when I got off.

Filldough

Amir0x said:
i caught a black one and it was rad, but at some point it must have got hurt because its stamina would never recharge full anymore, and it ran out quick and it also limped around a bit when I got off.

Maybe you're riding that stallion a little too hard? Guess KY wasn't really around back then. I'm sure there was a lot of limping in the old west... plus with the leg shootings, I mean... its ridiculous.

edit: wait you weren't joking? :lol

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Amir0x said:

Should have given it an apple or horse pills.

Akim

Banned
Wow I've had some rage inducing shit happen to me while I'm trying to catch this bounty...

First I go and kill all his bitches and tie him up and put him on a horse. Some other guy comes up so I shoot him and the horse just starts running at full speed. I finally catch up to it and lasso it when a bunch of wolves come and fucking eat me.

Then I go again and when I'm trying to capture him I get stuck between two rocks.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Big Ass Ramp said:
The characters are anything but boring. Come on.

Irish

"You see, Mr Marston, God invented wiskey so the Irish cannot rule the World."
:lol :lol :lol :lol

and on the way to mexico

Surely I didn't sleep with all your sisters
:lol

When the game tells you that there are new guns available, are they only available in one store or should they be available in every store? I went to the closest store after it said that and nothing new was there. :/

God damn piece of shit game. Two game crashing bugs (360) and I'm not even that far into it, and keep losing so much precious game time. And fuck horse racing.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I just spent $750 on a new "fast" horse, and the thing is just as slow as the normal horse and does not have increased stamina...

My God is the game fantastic. I wasn't expecting that this would be so near to GTA in production levels, as the original Red Dead didn't seem to get that sort of treatment.

I came into this expecting a lesser product but a style and setting I enjoyed more. I think the action in this game is far more interesting than that of GTA games. You are on a horse, and yet the chases seem somewhat faster, better controlling, and more exciting (thanks awesome bass lines) than what I've experience in Rockstar's modern-day settings.

Best of all, I didn't even know the game was going to be like this. I expected a hub-and-spoke or level structure. I felt all the fights were going to be rigid cover to cover battles down a thin tube. What I got is lots of driving, shooting, nick of time noose snapping, and
mine cart riding
. It is all very fluid and it really keeps the game from being stale.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Finally got to the pointer where I can see Abigale(or however you spell her name). I expected her to be prettier. :lol

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Class_A_Ninja said:
My God is the game fantastic. I wasn't expecting that this would be so near to GTA in production levels, as the original Red Dead didn't seem to get that sort of treatment.

but it's good :D

TTG

Ahhh Mexico, finally. I'm doing a lot more story missions now. My hunter challenge is a variety of raccoons, foxes(which I haven't seen yet) and skunks... talk about a downgrade from killing cougars with a knife. And the only stranger mission open is another collectathon. I did find something interesting though:

I've been to 2 deserted/destroyed houses that are all by themselves in Mexico. Both had a chest inside(expected), but also messages scribbled on the walls. Does that mean anything? Tie into any side mission?

FFS!! Froze on me at the end of that
boring ass defend the train with the gattling gun
mission. Calling it a night as far as Red Dead is concerned. Can't raise myself to slog through that again. LOST soon!!

bathala

Banned
holy shit that German in the poker game.

awesome voice and character. really annoying

been trying to disarm him. kept dying. I've never had a problem with other duels

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Yay...for my Birthday my wife & daughter got me this game, plus God of War III, and a subscription to Gamefly.

Year of gaming begins ;)

Rebel Leader said:
it cost R* about $100 million and 5 years of development

It will take 4 to 5 million sales at full price to recoup the development costs of Red Dead.

I really wasn't following the game. I'm not surprised that is the budget judging by the quality of the final product. There are two types of Rockstar non-GTA games. There is the ping-pong, Midnight Club, State of Emergency group and then there is Bully. I guess this Red Dead got the Bully treatment.

I don't think they will have a problem recouping that. I've heard as many people discussing this game in my workplace as Modern Warfare 2. I think there is possibly a market for the Old West stuff that no one really knew about. Nearly everyone has Oregon Trail as part of their gaming vocabulary, even if they didn't really play that many games as a kid. People really enjoyed dying of dysentery, and I think this game is tapping right into that.

Mik2121

bathala said:
watching
Ricketts and Marston
talk is like watching a movie.
Yep. he is one of my favorite characters next to
Marshal Johnson
Irish (for some reason I liked that drunkard)
and obviously Marston himself (the best imo).

Amir0x

Banned
Big Ass Ramp said:
Should have given it an apple or horse pills.

An Apple!? I don't feed my fucking horses. That's money and this is the wild fucking west!

Also, I thought the horse pills were for me. Goddamn horses...

Mik2121

Amir0x said:
An Apple!? I don't feed my fucking horses. That's money and this is the wild fucking west!

Also, I thought the horse pills were for me. Goddamn horses...
What the heck would you expect to happen after drinking those yourself? :lol :lol :lol

bathala said:
holy shit that German in the poker game.

awesome voice and character. really annoying

been trying to disarm him. kept dying. I've never had a problem with other duels

Pretty sure you need to kill that son of a bitch.

bathala said:
watching
Ricketts and Marston
talk is like watching a movie.

I don't know, I'm really liking the game but can't feel it's a little over-rated.
Rickettes and Marston didn't make a fucking bit of sense to me, I have this old git telling me I can't shoot despite just taking out 50 local miners in one mission upset that I was assisting a man for duping them out of their cash, yet clearly I'm still the good guy? I'm currently still in Mexico but it already annoying me that there wasn't a choice between the current regime and the rebels even if inevitably they'd lead to the same thing.

Back to Ricketts and Marston, it just seemed like a generic mentor role shoe-horned into a scenario where it didn't make sense, it's not like a "good" movie and I'm not swept away like it.

On top of that I feel people are being really forgiving on this because of the changes made to the system itself. I meant yes the cover/cover-shooting is better but I can't help think that the side-mission progress is leagues behind San Andereas and the side-missions themselves are hugely limited and frustrating. On top of that the multiplayer free-roam is ahead of Saint's Row in it's capacity for it's number of players but is completely decimated solely in regards to number of activities. I mean can we do single play mission co-op? No? Well can we at least play poker together?

Once again I really like the game just like I really liked GTA4, but what shortcomings of GTA4 does this resolve?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Spirit of Jazz said:
I don't know, I'm really liking the game but can't feel it's a little over-rated.
Rickettes and Marston didn't make a fucking bit of sense to me, I have this old git telling me I can't shoot despite just taking out 50 local miners in one mission upset that I was assisting a man for duping them out of their cash, yet clearly I'm still the good guy? I'm currently still in Mexico but it already annoying me that there wasn't a choice between the current regime and the rebels even if inevitably they'd lead to the same thing.

Back to Ricketts and Marston, it just seemed like a generic mentor role shoe-horned into a scenario where it didn't make sense, it's not like a "good" movie and I'm not swept away like it.

On top of that I feel people are being really forgiving on this because of the changes made to the system itself. I meant yes the cover/cover-shooting is better but I can't help think that the side-mission progress is leagues behind San Andereas and the side-missions themselves are hugely limited and frustrating. On top of that the multiplayer free-roam is ahead of Saint's Row in it's capacity for it's number of players but is completely decimated solely in regards to number of activities. I mean can we do single play mission co-op? No? Well can we at least play poker together?

Once again I really like the game just like I really liked GTA4, but what shortcomings of GTA4 does this resolve?

The more I play, the more I agree. I have no comment on the online stuff though. Haven't played it. I doubt I will. As the story continues, things get really silly. As a result, it's hurting Marston as a character more and more. I'm hoping the last part of the game picks up.

Top Bottom