• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Raide

Had a nice kill earlier. Slow mo tagged the left knee and then the face. Its amazing to see them buckle as the first shot hits and then fly backwards as the face shot lands. :lol Works well with any shot-gun

Is there a infinite amount of honour you can earn in this game? I haven't paid attention to whether you get honor from any stranger favours. The last few I've done, I've only noticed an increase in fame. I'm going to be really pissed off if I can't get to maximum honour because some fucking stupid NPC's decided to mingle with a group of bad guys I'm shooting at, and the auto-aim targeted them.

Jex

I still want the option to roll back dead-eye to level 1. Right now I'm a god who can stroll into any situation and kill 6 people in two seconds. Makes the game wayy to simple, I've died about twice, and the second time was only when I got set on fire.

Yeef

Quick question: Is there some way to manually decide if you want to use an Ace as a 1 or 11 in blackjack? I didn't see any prompt I was playing few days ago and lost a hand with 11 points with one of my cards as an ace.

Gooster said:
Q: When you buy the deed to a horse, does it show up automatically hitched at your place of rest? I remember buying one and never saw it, but I had to reload the game anyway so it's like I never bought it.
You can activate that deed repeatedly, whenever you want that horse. You could hold a Kentucky Saddler and a Hungarian and switch back and forth. Which is nice. I do like the horses and their behavior and the keeping track of them in this game. Unlike other games with horses which names I won't mention but which initials are "ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION."

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
the euphoriaengine is the best thing this generation has done for me game-mechanics wise.

As a consoleplayer I'm still waiting for "real" physics, where wood is wood, breaks like wood etc etc etc

Yeef said:
Quick question: Is there some way to manually decide if you want to use an Ace as a 1 or 11 in blackjack? I didn't see any prompt I was playing few days ago and lost a hand with 11 points with one of my cards as an ace.

It does it automatically. It counts as an 11 unless it would make you bust, in which case it becomes a 1.

Yeef

Ben2749 said:
It does it automatically. It counts as an 11 unless it would make you bust, in which case it becomes a 1.
Well it didn't for me. I should've had 21 but it made me lose the pot with a score of 11 to the dealer's 20. >:|

NG28

How do I unlock the Hungarian Half Breed and the American Standard-bread deeds? Do I have to reach a certain section of the game or break them in out in the wild?

Yeef said:
Well it didn't for me. I should've had 21 but it made me lose the pot with a score of 11 to the dealer's 20. >:|

Huh, that sucks if true. So you stood when you had an Ace and two or more other cards that totalled 10, right? Maybe under those circumstances, there is a way of manually changing what it is worth.

Xater

NG28 said:
How do I unlock the Hungarian Half Breed and the American Standard-bread deeds? Do I have to reach a certain section of the game or break them in out in the wild?

You have to break them.

Yeef

Yup. I had an 8, a 2 and an ace and stood. Not really a huge deal since it was a small pot, but still kind of annoying.

wayward archer said:
Most satisfying ending in any videogame i've ever played, ever.

I hope there is tons of extra content planned, because I want to play more in this world.

Yeah, I'd be ecstatic if we saw DLC along the lines of Lost & Damned/Gay Tony. The first thing I want to see though is more stuff to do/more people and animals in Free Roam.

NG28

wayward archer said:
Most satisfying ending in any videogame i've ever played, ever.

I hope there is tons of extra content planned, because I want to play more in this world.
It would be cool if they went with episodes like they did with GTA.

On a side-note, I feel it's worth mentioning here that I've been looking forward to Super Mario Galaxy 2 ever since it was announced, and I planned all along on importing it from the US rather than wait until it came out here in the UK on June 11th. But RDR is so damn good, I don't even care.

Seriously, that speaks huge volumes about how great this game is. I'm psyched for Galaxy 2, and I always have trouble holding off on games I want; I usually buy them as soon as they're available.

xBigDanx

11000 post so I'm not searching them all for the answer to this question which I'm sure has been asked.

The challenges are all pretty cool and pretty straightforward. For the treasure hunter challenge - how the hell do I find the treasure? I got a map and it seems to show me a rock and a tree. And that is it. Really? Everywhere I look there are rocks and trees. Is there something I am missing that might narrow down the area to look in?

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
xBigDanx said:
11000 post so I'm not searching them all for the answer to this question which I'm sure has been asked.

The challenges are all pretty cool and pretty straightforward. For the treasure hunter challenge - how the hell do I find the treasure? I got a map and it seems to show me a rock and a tree. And that is it. Really? Everywhere I look there are rocks and trees. Is there something I am missing that might narrow down the area to look in?

The first one? It doesn't just show a rock and a tree.

:lol :lol :lol

I was on my way to treasure chest #8 and a couple of banditos rolled up on me from above. I toss a firebottle at their feet and they burst into flames. With all that fire in their eyes I suppose they lost sight of the edge of the cliff, and whoopsie-daisy, they fall, flaming, to their deaths. Nothing like burning banditos flying through the air to give you a good laugh.

There's a noose in the picture too.

Here's a hint:
You're not looking for an actual noose. Look at the map, and try and find a place where a noose might be used.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
xBigDanx said:
Then what am I missing? I see a rock and a tree in the upper left corner... and in the bottom right corner, it is a rock.
Look at the rock and tree just like you see in I.

Go to the right side of the huge rock and search inbetween the smaller rocks. It's up against the huge rock somewhere.

I don't think they explained this map very well, it took me about 20 minutes. The ones after this are much easier so far.

xBigDanx

Ben2749 said:

Oh, I must be missing that... but still, does it narrow down the area at all? Or do I just need to keep an eye out for a noose hanging from a tree as I play the game?

xBigDanx

Ben2749 said:

Here's a hint:
You're not looking for an actual noose. Look at the map, and try and find a place where a noose might be used.

ahh, gotcha. ok I'll give it a try tonight once I get home.
thanks

I'm going to ask again, as it seems nobody saw my previous post; is there an inifinite amount of honour you can earn? Or are you fucked if you accidentally kill too many innocent people?

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Ben2749 said:

Here's a hint:
The noose is there
on the tree, but not the floating noose in part II on the map.

jergrah

Just to chime in -- I love, love, love this game so much! Ive spent so much time just galloping around in Single Player or free roam, hours playing poker, games of horseshoes, etc.

Also -- not sure if posted, but I just noticed the soundtrack hit iTunes this morning

Yeef said:

How is this possible? Why would you not hit on 11?

Haunted

Ben2749 said:
I'm going to ask again, as it seems nobody saw my previous post; is there an inifinite amount of honour you can earn? Or are you fucked if you accidentally kill too many innocent people?
As long as you do good deeds, your honour will rise until the max.

Najaf

What exactly is the point of buying weapons? Every time the gunsmith has gotten something new and interesting, I have decided to hold off, and low and behold, I get that weapon or something better in the next several missions.

For instance I just left
mexico
and stopped by two gunshops on my way North. One had a nice semiauto pistol, and another held a collectors pistol for $650. Once again, I hold off spending my hard earned dollars, and sure enough, the moment I get to
Blackwater
I am given a new pistol that puts everything else I have seen thus far to shame for free. The same thing went for the bolt action, springfield, and sawed-off shotgun. It seemed the moment I saw it in a gunshop, I would find it or be given it soon after through the course of the game.

Another question: is it worth it to buy a horse? I have the money, but am I right in thinking that I can find these 3 star horses in the wild and tame them? I am loving the game so much, but I find myself hoarding all my money because I feel the game never took the time to tell me what was really worth the investment.

Najaf

MrCompletely said:

He would not hit because as he said, one of his cards was an ace, already giving him 21. What he is saying is that the computer read his hand as valuing the Ace as one, not eleven, and he went on to loose the hand.

Yeef

Ben2749 said:
I can't say for certain, but I think honor is unlimited. Unless you're going on killing sprees you shouldn't have any trouble maxing out your honor. I had mine maxed out before getting to Mexico and that's without a spotless record.

MrCompletely said:
The real question is why you would hit on 21? I should've had 21 but the game counted it as 11.

Haunted

I think I'm officially fucked out of an outfit and 100%ing this game. I've done lots more bounty hunts in Armadillo in the hopes of Mo Van Barr appearing, but apparently the game has run out of named bandits and is posting random posters without a picture now. :(

Oh well.

Najaf said:
What exactly is the point of buying weapons? Every time the gunsmith has gotten something new and interesting, I have decided to hold off, and low and behold, I get that weapon or something better in the next several missions.

For instance I just left
mexico
and stopped by two gunshops on my way North. One had a nice semiauto pistol, and another held a collectors pistol for $650. Once again, I hold off spending my hard earned dollars, and sure enough, the moment I get to
Blackwater
I am given a new pistol that puts everything else I have seen thus far to shame for free. The same thing went for the bolt action, springfield, and sawed-off shotgun. It seemed the moment I saw it in a gunshop, I would find it or be given it soon after through the course of the game.

Another question: is it worth it to buy a horse? I have the money, but am I right in thinking that I can find these 3 star horses in the wild and tame them? I am loving the game so much, but I find myself hoarding all my money because I feel the game never took the time to tell me what was really worth the investment.
My advice would be to just spend the money on whatever, you're getting way, way more money than you'll ever need in this game. Basically, if you don't spend it on weapons and horses, you won't spend it at all. :p

As for the (3 star) horses, you have to break them in once, then you can buy their deeds in the shop. 1 and 2 star horses aren't worth it anyway.

But hey, if you like walking around with lots of unspent cash, that's certainly your right. :p

Yeef

Najaf said:

For instance I just left
mexico
Blackwater

There's an achievement for buying 'rare' weapons from shops if you care about that sort of thing. Personally I like to have every weapon available to me so i just buy any new weapons I see.

Money was only an issue for me in the first hour or two. You really do get more than enough money from normal gameplay. I can't be sure, but it seems like more bounty jobs pop up when your money starts to get low.

The only things to spend money on that are worthwhile are weapons, horses and houses none of which are essential. You can get good weapons and horses on your own and just use campsites in place of houses. The occasional mission/stranger will have you paying people off, but they generally give you the option to either take what you need by force or come back later when you have enough money if you're short on cash.

soldat7

red shoe paul said:
Yeah it's fun when you have to ride across the map to find the other people..
Sike.

This game is taking me forever to get through because I consciously do not fast travel and I stop to smell the roses all the time. I love it for these reasons, at the very least.

Loudninja

Haunted said:
I think I'm officially fucked out of an outfit and 100%ing this game. I've done lots more bounty hunts in Armadillo in the hopes of Mo Van Barr appearing, but apparently the game has run out of named bandits and is posting random posters without a picture now. :(

Oh well.

My advice would be to just spend the money on whatever, you're getting way, way more money than you'll ever need in this game. Basically, if you don't spend it on weapons and horses, you won't spend it at all. :p

As for the (3 star) horses, you have to break them in once, then you can buy their deeds in the shop. 1 and 2 star horses aren't worth it anyway.

But hey, if you like walking around with lots of unspent cash, that's certainly your right. :p

http://www.reddead.net/forums/threa...read-mo-van-barr-does-work?pid=43473#pid43473

Not like it will do you any good though :(

Haunted

NameGenerated said:
Are animal parts only used for selling or is there some type of cooking/crafting later on?
95% of parts should be sold, but there are two or three stranger missions which require you to collect some flowers/animal parts for them.

Haunted

Mik2121 said:
Wait to see the Tall Trees and snowy part of it during the sunset... it's so damn beautiful.
No one picked up on my pun. :(

Loudninja said:
Hm...

In the first mission you do for the sheriff in Armadillo, KILL WALTON. IF you just wound him or lasso him, Mo Van Barr will not appear.
What a ridiculous oversight. >_<

Oh well, maybe they'll patch it so he appears automatically for those who haven't had the chance to get him yet or something? *hopes*

Dead eye + throwing knves = delicious!

The knives stick into their body whereever you hit too, seeing a TK sticking out of someone's gourd is nasty.

daddynorcal

Neo Member
5. Not enough time is given to hogtie after lassoing. I never have enough time to slow down, get off horse, walk over to guy, then hogtie. So what I end up doing is getting off my horse and then waiting until he gets up and re-lassoing. I don't know, just seems dumb to machine gun the lasso, just give me more time. I mean fuck I probably broke the guys legs the first time anyway.

It's possible you are letting go of L2/LT. You need to be holding that down to keep the lasso out. If you do that, you should be able to pull yourself towards the lassoed target and then hogtie them.

R* Support

Jexhius said:
I still want the option to roll back dead-eye to level 1. Right now I'm a god who can stroll into any situation and kill 6 people in two seconds. Makes the game wayy to simple, I've died about twice, and the second time was only when I got set on fire.

If you unlock the cheats you get from joining the R* Social Club then 1 of the 7 cheats it gives you is an option to scale Dead Eye back to either level 1 or level 2.

Top Bottom