• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

sw33tclyde said:
Dead eye + throwing knves = delicious!

The knives stick into their body whereever you hit too, seeing a TK sticking out of someone's gourd is nasty.

On an extra note to this, heads do actually explode and deform when you get headshots. Love it!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
now that most have had this for almost a wekk, any GTAIV level backlash by anyone?

Haunted

Everyone complaining about the lack of moral choices in this game hasn't played it correctly.

A desperate looking guy just came riding towards me, frantically begging me to help save his wife who was about to be hanged by some nasty bandits! But while listening to his sad tale, I saw some beavers scampering along in the background. Oh shit - sorry dude, but I really want those beaver pelts!

Tough dilemmas, tough moral choices demanded of the player. RDR has those.
lol

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I learned something about myself, this weekend. When I play the game single player (which I had done all last week), I'm a saint. Every choice is the most honorable one possible, etc.

But this weekend I was over at a bud's house, and we were just messing around in the game world, passing the controller back and forth. For some reason, I felt compelled to be the most evil fucker you have ever seen.

I literally murdered the entire town of Armadillo :lol. For a while, sheriffs just kept coming and coming. But eventually I killed everyone, and the town was just quiet. I was a little bit thrown off for a minute... kinda thinking "That's it? They don't keep coming?" but then something amazing happened:

A train rolled into town and stopped, and about 6-8 MORE lawmen hopped off! They sent dudes via TRAIN to take me out :lol :lol :lol I lol'd even harder when I realized that it had taken them like 8-12 in-game hours to get there, too. GTA this ain't, ha.

My plan was to steal the train and ride away laughing, but this story ends a little anticlimactically. I ended up getting stuck on the geometry and shot in like 2 seconds.

Ah, apparently I'm at "Hero" rank now anyway. I never even noticed. That's why I was somewhat anxious when I saw I wasn't getting honour from doing good deeds. I'm assuming that fame takes longer to accumulate, as I'm still only "Mercenary".

Thanks guys. Now I won't be so pissed off when some dumbass innocent NPC's stands in the middle of a group of enemies and I end up killing them by mistake.

Haunted

Downhome said:
I'm at 30% in, give or take. If Mo Van Barr hasn't showed up yet will he not at all anymore?
If you've done more than one bounty in Armadillo, you missed him.

Ben2749 said:
Ah, apparently I'm at "Hero" rank now anyway. I never even noticed. That's why I was somewhat anxious when I saw I wasn't getting honour from doing good deeds. I'm assuming that fame takes longer to accumulate, as I'm still only "Mercenary".

Thanks guys. Now I won't be so pissed off when some dumbass innocent NPC's stands in the middle of a group of enemies and I end up killing them by mistake.
Man, you don't sound very honourable at all. :/

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Haunted said:
No one picked up on my pun. :(

Hm...

What a ridiculous oversight. >_<

Oh well, maybe they'll patch it so he appears automatically for those who haven't had the chance to get him yet or something? *hopes*
Maybe try replaying the mission?

Branson

So if I put in the Deadly Assassin outfit code at launch and still havent seen it pop up in the outfits section...am I screwed?

Opus Angelorum said:
Do people attempt to limp/crawl away when wounded badly? I can imagine shooting someone off their horse from distance, only to see them crawl ever so slowly away in a last act of desperation.

Yeah, I've seen a few enemies trying to crawl away before.

Zeliard

Haunted said:
Everyone complaining about the lack of moral choices in this game hasn't played it correctly.

A desperate looking guy just came riding towards me, frantically begging me to help save his wife who was about to be hanged by some nasty bandits! But while listening to his sad tale, I saw some beavers scampering along in the background. Oh shit - sorry dude, but I really want those beaver pelts!

Tough dilemmas, tough moral choices demanded of the player. RDR has those.
lol

:lol

Basically. You make your own moral choices.

I agree, though, with Jeff Cannata on the latest Weekend Confirmed. I wish at this point that Rockstar would just say fuck it and go full-bore and make these games actual (console) WRPGs. They're already most of the way there. They don't even need to add stats - just choice & consequence, and more variety and player choice in mission progression.

Haunted

levious said:
which one is Mo Van Barr? Is there a way to be certain if I missed it?
movanbarr.jpg

This motherfucker right here. You can check the outfit page to see if you've done him already.

Ben2749 said:
What's this about Mo Van Barr? Who is he? What's bad about missing him?
You can't get the Deadly Assassin outfit if he doesn't appear. :(

Haunted

Zeliard said:
:lol

Basically. You make your own moral choices.

I agree, though, with Jeff Cannata on the latest Weekend Confirmed. I wish at this point that Rockstar would just say fuck it and go full-bore and make these games actual (console) WRPGs. They're already most of the way there. They don't even need to add stats - just choice & consequence, and more variety and player choice in mission progression.
I'm all for it! This would also take care of the most common complaint about the game (well, aside from it being a glitchfest :p), the crummily presented morality of the protagonist, divided between forced cutscenes and actual gameplay.

Zeliard

PoweredBySoy said:
Aesthetically it's pretty cool, but I kind of wish they would have just restricted it to dueling. During gunfights it takes me out of the atmosphere of the game. I want epic, long-lasting gunfights - with the sounds, the banter, the graphics, cowboys blasting back and forth.... Not to mention it's just plain overpowered.

Just don't use it. I personally forgot it was even there for the first few hours I played (never played the previous Red Dead).

I use Dead Eye now occasionally when I'm on horses, and sometimes to do cool cinematic shit like target someone's leg while they're running and watch them flip forward in slow-mo. I prefer the more violent and immediate gunplay that you get during real-time, though.

Haunted said:
I'm all for it! This would also take care of the most common complaint about the game (well, aside from it being a glitchfest :p), the crummily presented morality of the protagonist, divided between forced cutscenes and actual gameplay.

Precisely.

Let's get Rockstar and Obsidian to team up. ;)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Haunted said:
This motherfucker right here. You can check the outfit page to see if you've done him already.

well I didn't have the gamestop code anyway, but I think I've done two bounty missions already, does that mean I've missed him?

Haunted said:
Wow. How the hell were you supposed to know that? And what were you supposed to do? Think he was the first bounty and I shot him dead. Haven't checked in some time, but for all successive bounties the icon on the map would say "Moe Van Barr". Is that just a glitch or is there a way to make him reappear?

And speaking of "Limited Edition" stuff, where do you get a hold of the soundtrack?

Definity

Ben2749 said:
Oh, for fuck's sake. Rockstar had better patch him in then, because I've missed him, and I really want to get 100% in this game.

Has there been any response from R* yet on the Mo Van Barr issue? I didn't realize the outfits were linked to the 100% stat.

Meier

speculawyer said:
Hmmm. I got a promo credit for Super Mario which just shipped but I did not get a promo credit for RDR. :-/ Hmmm.
Just email Amazon's support. They're amazing and will be back in touch with you in no time flat. The SMG2 one did mention within 2 business days specifically though FYI (noticed this when I ordered) and this one was apparently 10 days according to others.

So I was around Escalera looking for the Hungarian Half-Bred when I see two people in a camp with dynamite. It turns out it's two Mexican guys messing with it so I decided I'd get off my horse and have a listen. Then one of the guys tells the other in Spanish something along the lines of "Hey be careful, the slightest park could set off the dynamite and blow everything up".

Two seconds pass and I hear a LOUD ASS explosion, BOOM! all three of us die from the dynamite.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Haunted said:
No one picked up on my pun. :(

Hm...

What a ridiculous oversight. >_<

Oh well, maybe they'll patch it so he appears automatically for those who haven't had the chance to get him yet or something? *hopes*
I'm pretty sure I only wounded Walton at that part and Mo still appeared for me. I only shot him in the leg and Marshall picked him up and and put him on the back of his horse at the end of it.

Filldough

Ben2749 said:
Oh, for fuck's sake. Rockstar had better patch him in then, because I've missed him, and I really want to get 100% in this game.

Mo Van Bar is not required for 100% completion. Nor is the Assassin Outfit, it was DLC. Its just an annoyance more than anything. Hopefully will be resolved soon.

Matt322

Ben2749 said:
Duster Outfit, Gentleman's Attire, and Deadly Assassin do not count towards 100%.

Meier

For some reason, it seems like the Social Club is down or something.. I'm having trouble getting it to load here at work. Can someone link me directly to the RDR page? Want to see if that works instead.

The Chef

So i try and lasso my first horse and I'm holding down L2 to have my lasso out, circle to look at the horse, while tapping x with the side of my thumb to go faster and then trying to aim and hit R2 to lasso him.

So apparently, unless your Goro this isn't an easy task.

Was in a stagecoach being chased by bandits and the last one ran his horse behind me, over a rather steep cliffwall, and somehow got the horse airborne right above me. I shot the rider off of the horse in midair in slow motion, causing the horse to land in my stagecoach. It was pretty great.

LethaL ImpuLse said:
I'm starting to think this game may have the greatest glitches ever :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFoMvLmfFEY
:lol That's fantastic.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The Chef said:
So i try and lasso my first horse and I'm holding down L2 to have my lasso out, circle to look at the horse, while tapping x with the side of my thumb to go faster and then trying to aim and hit R2 to lasso him.

So apparently, unless your Goro this isn't an easy task.
Dont use circle to look at the horse...just use the right stick.

Also make sure you dont let go of L2 when you have the horse lasso'ed.

daddynorcal

Neo Member
Downhome said:
I'm at 30% in, give or take. If Mo Van Barr hasn't showed up yet will he not at all anymore?

We're aware of an issue some people were experiencing where Mo Van Barr wouldn't appear. We're working to resolve it as soon as possible. Once resolved, players can continue collecting scraps towards the Deadly Assassin bonus outfit without issue.

R* Support

So do gang bounties ever come back or do you only ever get one per gang? I killed the first couple before I realized getting them alive was a requirement for certain outfits...

Haunted

Matt322 said:
Duster Outfit, Gentleman's Attire, and Deadly Assassin do not count towards 100%.
That's good.
EzLink said:
Don't you have to do all
of the bounty missions though to get 100%?
That's bad.
daddynorcal said:
We're aware of an issue some people were experiencing where Mo Van Barr wouldn't appear. We're working to resolve it as soon as possible. Once resolved, players can continue collecting scraps towards the Deadly Assassin bonus outfit without issue.

R* Support
That's good!

I was on a bounty hunt, and I decided to take the bounty alive for the extra money. My horse was shot dead a little before the town entrance. I picked up the guy, walked so that the dead horse is offscreen and I can summon another one. The new horse gallops towards me and all of a sudden drops dead (I'm going to go with either "bug" or "collapsed from exhaustion of being hitched"). Damn. :lol

daddynorcal said:

R* Support

Do you know what the turn around time is for help on your Tech Support site? I entered my code from Gamestop to download the soundtrack, but due to a traffic overload on the website my download became corrupted. Since the link was only good for a limited time I now can't re-download the zip file for the soundtrack. I sent an email to Rockstar Tech Support last week on Wednesday, but I haven't received a response yet.

Reknoc

EzLink said:
Don't you have to do all
of the bounty missions though to get 100%?

Looking at R* social 100% page the bounties are based on the location you capture/kill them not who they are.

Top Bottom