• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Beat the game and
secret ending. Shit blew my mind, man. That was some unexpected twisting. But in a strange way, makes my need to still do all the sharpshooting and hunting challenges fit better with the story. More sense that the kid needs to learn it than the older man. Sorta.

Game was stunning from start to ending. Will sit atop the throne of GOTYs this year alongside Mass Effect 2 and God of War III (so far.)

Do people attempt to limp/crawl away when wounded badly? I can imagine shooting someone off their horse from distance, only to see them crawl ever so slowly away in a last act of desperation.

Q8D3vil

am i the only one who think gunplay is kinda boring and too easy with dead eye ?!
dead eye level 2 and 3 are cheap and lame :/
i reached mexico and i'm kinda bored.

but, my friends just bought it so i will try the online today.

Seanspeed

Banned
Q8D3vil said:
am i the only one who think gunplay is kinda boring and too easy with dead eye ?!

Its really fun sometimes, and other times it feels cheap.

Dont have to use it if you dont want to, though.

Wiggum2007

Q8D3vil said:

Yeah for the most part I only use dead-eye in two situations: when I'm surrounded and on the brink of death, or to combat the awkward on-horse combat controls.

Q8D3vil

Yeah for the most part I only use dead-eye in two situations: when I'm surrounded and on the brink of death, or to combat the awkward on-horse combat controls.
i loved level 1 ( max payne nostalgia ) but level 2&3 are wtf is this cheap shit.

Downhome

Ben2749 said:
Where do you find more treasure maps? I'm a little into Mexico at the moment, and I've only come across the very first one you get near the start of the game.

I know you likely have this figured out by now, but what the heck. Once you find a treasure on a map the one you used it sorta "discarded" and that map is replaced by a new one. I do believe in the animation when you get a treasure it also shows him getting the new map at the same time as the treasure.

That confused me for a few minutes the first time myself.

Haunted

PoweredBySoy said:
And in addition to the shooting-things complaint, there's been plenty of times where the game complete devolves into a shooting gallery, where Marston lays waste to 50 guys using an assortment of generous auto-aim and Dead Eye. At this point I wouldn't be too surprised if the next level has me riding minigun in a helicopter.
:lol

Closer to the truth than you think.

Haunted

Finally in West Elisabeth. Snowy area doesn't look too hot, but is a cool change of pace.

Great Plains! <3 <3

Q8D3vil said:
i loved level 1 ( max payne nostalgia ) but level 2&3 are wtf is this cheap shit.
You can use Level 3 exactly like Level 1.

dread9

Banned
MidnightRider said:
I must suck at treasure hunting.

I got a map with a
noose
on it so I go out to
hanging rock
and never find it :( :( :(

you have to look at the specific rock formations on the treasure map and find them and the treasure is hidden in the middle kind of.

Is Liar's Dice a real game? Because I feel that it's really, really flawed and that ive been able to take advantage of that every time. The opponents NEVER bid that you're spot on, so betting safely will always work in your favor, because 9 out of 10 times the person following you will make some kind of outrageous bid after your safe one.
Pretty easy.

Xater

Ok more then 25 hours spent with this game and about 84% done. I think I'm done with this game. I don't have the energy to 100% these open world games. Still one amazing title and definitely on the short list for GOTY.

@Revolutionary: It's a real game but the AI doesn't seem to be very good at it.

Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liar's_dice

dread9 said:
you have to look at the specific rock formations on the treasure map and find them and the treasure is hidden in the middle kind of.

I don't need a shovel or anything right?

he just digs it on the auto whenever i get close?

Draco

Been playing for about 2 days now on 360. I love the game, but I think the overall horse controls and especially gunfights from horseback were handled better in GUN. I hate hitting a bumper to slow down.

harrytang said:
why not set the way point and then setup and camp site? im not sure what you mean about going to town to get to places, but its certainly not the only means to fast travel.

He was talking about multiplayer, in which you don't lay down camps. There's a "transport" signpost you go to in towns if you want to "warp" somewhere.

dread9

Banned
MidnightRider said:
I don't need a shovel or anything right?

he just digs it on the auto whenever i get close?

lol nono you see a rockpile and you simply take the rocks off and open the container.

Ben2749 said:
He was talking about multiplayer, in which you don't lay down camps. There's a "transport" signpost you go to in towns if you want to "warp" somewhere.
:lol :lol :lol

I forgot all about campsites.

I've been riding my happy ass back to towns to save... fuck i'm dumb

Revolutionary said:
Is Liar's Dice a real game? Because I feel that it's really, really flawed and that ive been able to take advantage of that every time. The opponents NEVER bid that you're spot on, so betting safely will always work in your favor, because 9 out of 10 times the person following you will make some kind of outrageous bid after your safe one.
Pretty easy.

I had never heard of Liars Dice before RDR, but now I want to play it with some friends in real life.

MidnightRider said:
:lol :lol :lol

I forgot all about campsites.

I've been riding my happy ass back to towns to save... fuck i'm dumb

If you're now talking about single-player, I tend to prefer riding everywhere anyway. The map isn't so big that it takes too long, and I often end up doing stuff along the way, whether it's a bit of hunting, or doing a favour for a stranger.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Q8D3vil said:
how !? as soon as i shoot my first bullet the dead eye turned off...

not sure what he was referring to, but can't you revert back to level 1 or 2 with a code? Or does that prevent saving and trophy/achievement earning?

Alucrid

Banned
Mik2121 said:
How the fuck do you kill a cougar with a knife?... It's impossible!! :(

Shoot them once to make them tentative and you can pretty much have at them with the knife.

Q8D3vil said:
how !? as soon as i shoot my first bullet the dead eye turned off...

Eh, just use Dead Eye, shoot once, use Dead Eye again right after. Not too much of a hassle.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Picked this up Friday. I hear galloping in my sleep.

I already like it much more than GTAIV but there's still some things that annoy me. I shall now list them.

1. I wish there was a speed between walk and hold down A run. Walk is too fast, run can be too hard to control in tight spaces.

2. I hate hate hate when they suddenly throw you in a situation and then try and explain what to do in that little box in the upper left while the clock is ticking or while I'm trying to drive a stagecoach or in the middle of a shootout. They really need to find a better way to get this info across, like, I don't know, pausing the game. (which is what I do manually now every time that thing pops up, pause and then go to the brief screen).

3. Purchase sweet new rifle with basically all the money I had; receive same rifle for free on next story mission. :|

4. Need to be able to fuck whores.

5. Not enough time is given to hogtie after lassoing. I never have enough time to slow down, get off horse, walk over to guy, then hogtie. So what I end up doing is getting off my horse and then waiting until he gets up and re-lassoing. I don't know, just seems dumb to machine gun the lasso, just give me more time. I mean fuck I probably broke the guys legs the first time anyway.

Other than that though it's all pretty good, the gameplay seems much improved over IV, maybe because the world is a simpler place. I'll never forget the mission in IV that made me want to smash my balls with a brick: I think I was on a motorcycle and I had to drop these bombs on the ground and have a van drive over them to blow the van up. But like the bombs had a fuse so you had to time it so they would explode right when the van was over it. And they didn't drop behind you, they dropped to the side. Plus you can't see the fucking van because he's behind you. PLUS, you don't get to decide where you're going, you have to stay in front of the van. So you're driving along and then all of a sudden the van turns a corner and now you're driving along some road with your dick out for no reason. Oh and there were like 3 vans. Fucking dumb dumb dumb. I mean you have to press at least 40 buttons at the same time just to attempt that. I swear to fucking god if I'm trying to take down a stagecoach by throwing stick of dynamite behind my horse FUUUUUUUUUU

Borgnine said:
5. Not enough time is given to hogtie after lassoing. I never have enough time to slow down, get off horse, walk over to guy, then hogtie. So what I end up doing is getting off my horse and then waiting until he gets up and re-lassoing. I don't know, just seems dumb to machine gun the lasso, just give me more time. I mean fuck I probably broke the guys legs the first time anyway.

Keep holding down the left trigger after you throw the lasso over them. This keeps them on the ground and you can just walk up to them.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
wayward archer said:
Keep holding down the left trigger after you throw the lasso over them. This keeps them on the ground and you can just walk up to them.

Oooohhhh, guess I wasn't doing this. Thanks for the tip!

Borgnine said:

You know you can lasso someone from your horse and keep them tied up until you reach them right? Just lasso and continue holding the LT while you get off of your horse and run up to them. Press Y to hogtie. Very simple, although I might have misunderstood your post..

Max

I am not Max
Borgnine said:
You can lasso people for as long as you want, can't you? I haven't had any people escape from my lasso's so far, I remember dragging a thief by foot to the shopkeeper rather than tying him up and carrying.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just made it into Mexico and I'm at about 12 hours played I think. Obviously I am taking my time with the game. I have been doing a lot of the side stuff, playing Poker and what not and just enjoying the scenery (I haven't used quick travel even once). There are a few side quests I left undone back in the Armadillo area so I will probably go back and take care of them before proceeding with the main story.

I gotta say, though, the part where you first get to Mexico was absolutely amazing. This game has so much atmosphere. I love it!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: my strange love of deserts, that western climate and all of that, combined with the vast stretches of it found in RDR is positively overwhelming for me. I honestly can't believe I am okay with holding down the A button for like five to ten minutes just to get from one town to the next.

The only issue I've had with is that my game bugs out a bit at Thieves' Landing, and there was one story mission (
the MacFarlane barn fire
) where I had to follow someone who didn't go anywhere. Just stood there next to a tree and I had to reload.

Q: When you buy the deed to a horse, does it show up automatically hitched at your place of rest? I remember buying one and never saw it, but I had to reload the game anyway so it's like I never bought it.

Max

I am not Max
Gooster said:
Q: When you buy the deed to a horse, does it show up automatically hitched at your place of rest? I remember buying one and never saw it, but I had to reload the game anyway so it's like I never bought it.
You have to use it in your inventory, then it will show up as your hitched horse

Q8D3vil said:

Are you playing on expert or normal, normal is way too easy, that shits a joke, you dont even need dead eye. Im playing on expert and dead eye has saved me multiple times and is very useful when you're shooting it out on your horse.

Mik2121

Haunted said:
Finally in West Elisabeth. Snowy area doesn't look too hot, but is a cool change of pace.

Great Plains! <3 <3

You can use Level 3 exactly like Level 1.
Wait to see the Tall Trees and snowy part of it during the sunset... it's so damn beautiful.

Ground my way to level 40. And it is a grind. Don't think I'll have the patience to do that more than twice. As tempting as the "super bull" is. :lol

dreamer3kx said:
Are you playing on expert or normal, normal is way too easy, that shits a joke, you dont even need dead eye. Im playing on expert and dead eye has saved me multiple times and is very useful when you're shooting it out on your horse.
I've found normal is decently tough. Enough that I've died a handful of times.

MaxSteel

MidnightRider said:
I must suck at treasure hunting.

I got a map with a
noose
on it so I go out to
hanging rock
and never find it :( :( :(

tell me about it - i spent 20 minutes running all around that area of the map, trying to line up the image with what i was seeing, and nada

Borgnine said:

You know that if you hold down the left trigger, they remain tied up, so you can take as long as you want, right? You can even drag them behind your horse that way.

Apparently, in Mexico killing a goat is a crime punishable by instant death.

Ben2749 said:
I had never heard of Liars Dice before RDR, but now I want to play it with some friends in real life.

My friends and I have been playing Liar's dice for years. I got the achievement for not losing any dice the very first game I played. Play drunk... and the more people the better because you have to guess a lot and hope that other people have what you need when you bet. In RDR everyone is too honest so it's easy to beat it... too easy.

Top Bottom