• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

JambiBum

Mr_Guillotine said:
Really? I thought it was
God or a grim reaper of sorts, hence why he stands near breecher's hope in your last encounter and says "This is a fine spot..." which happens to be where marston is buried after his death.
Could work both ways too though. As maybe John knows that
he is going to die once he moves back home because he doesn't trust the Feds

I think we are both right in a way really.

JambiBum said:
Could work both ways too though. As maybe John knows that
he is going to die once he moves back home because he doesn't trust the Feds

I think we are both right in a way really.
Yeah, the guy is up for interpretation. All I know is I want a sequel or DLC or something already.:lol

Tokubetsu said:
Anyone know all the points you encounter the stranger for the "California" stranger mission?
Track the miner costume, after each encounter wait a few days for a new one to come up.

By the way, any GAF games up? 360 version.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Tokubetsu said:
Anyone know all the points you encounter the stranger for the "California" stranger mission?

It's all around the same general area, it gets marked on your map when you can find him again.

Bizzyb said:
Nope. Everyone I know including myself has yet to receive their $20 bonus.

I can't speak for anyone else, but it has never taken days for me to receive any bonus from Amazon. Amazon usually e-mails the code or applies the credit directly to my account within two days of shipment. Anyway I decided to e-mail Amazon yesterday and got the following reply today.

Hello,

I'm sorry you didn't receive the $20 gift certificate for ordering "Red Dead Redemption". I've included the gift card claim code below.

If you find any difficulty in redeeming the gift certificate, please write back to us using the below link

So yeah, I'm happy I've got my $20 credit now. I would suggest e-mailing Amazon about your bonus, or you can keep waiting. :D

DeVeAn

Dead to Rights said:
I can't speak for anyone else, but it has never taken days for me to receive any bonus from Amazon. Amazon usually e-mails the code or applies the credit directly to my account within two days of shipment. Anyway I decided to e-mail Amazon yesterday and got the following reply today.

Hello,

I'm sorry you didn't receive the $20 gift certificate for ordering "Red Dead Redemption". I've included the gift card claim code below.

If you find any difficulty in redeeming the gift certificate, please write back to us using the below link

So yeah, I'm happy I've got my $20 credit now. I would suggest e-mailing Amazon about your bonus, or you can keep waiting. :D
I can not for the life of me find their e-mail. Could you help me out?

Found a fun little thing to do. If you challenge someone to a fist fight, provided they're not a pussy, they follow you pretty relentlessly. There's ladders in Blackwater to get to the top of buildings....

ZombieSupaStar said:
FUCK THIS HORSE RACING SHIT, every fucking open world games needs some fuk race carp!

GODDAMN IT
Its not about smashing A or X. Its about finding a rhythm, once evry 2-3 seconds. My wife could not beat it either and showed her how and she did it first try after that.

Tr4nce

So after playing for a few days, I still think this game looks awesome. I'm glad I changed my TV settings though, game looks way better now on my TV if you ask me. The vista's are amazing, and the game is beautiful at every hour of the day. Nights are so awesome, but I love the lighting the best when it's around 10 o clock in the morning, and the sky is blue. The lighting is fantastic.

Also getting drunk looks so fantastic. The way John moves after that, it looks so real.

Bought it on PS3 and had lots of fun playing it so far.

Multiplayer is great, but not good. The controls are often frustrating when you're in a firefight, but I guess this just takes a bit of getting used to.

Apart from the gameplay in multiplayer, I think there are many errors in the social interface:

• You can't join friends in their Freeroam/Competitive sessions through the quick-menu. This should be top-priority for Rockstar to include in their next patch.
• Your friends are somehow sorted on add-date. The friends that you added most recently, will appear at the bottom of the list. Obviously, this should be alphabetically, and players that are in-game should be grouped at the top of the list.
• If you're in a posse, you will not get notified of invites from other friends... Wtf?

Damn these cougars, two of them were attacking me, first one killed my horse, second one me :(

Did anyone manage to kill those bastards with a knife for the Hunting Challenge? How is that even possible?

And how can I get my golden Revolver? I've typed in the code for it, it was accepted, but now it isn't in the downloadable content area.

Fafnir

berserk_ftw said:
Damn these cougars, two of them were attacking me, first one killed my horse, second one me :(

LOL taking a break because one of those damn ninja cougars came out of nowhere and one-shotted my horse just now...I was like...wtf...WTF MY HORSE?! :lol

Nyx

Anyone else actually felt terrible the first time their horse died ?

They are so incredibly well animated that they're almost real, when I hit a big rock with my horse + wagon the horse died and was lying in a position in which it seemed his neck was broken, I felt bad....

Grayman

Nyx said:
Anyone else actually felt terrible the first time their horse died ?

They are so incredibly well animated that they're almost real, when I hit a big rock with my horse + wagon the horse died and was lying in a position in which it seemed his neck was broken, I felt bad....
I felt real bad the first time mine died because the lame level 2 dead eye locked onto it and blew it away =(

Aurora said:
You don't play much poker do you?
Yeah, poker feels genuine enough in this game.
Blackjack, however? Total horseshit. I've seen the dealer get 21 on like 6 hits several times.
I guess that's one of the reasons there's no trophy involving it: cuz it's bs in this game.

EDIT: As for feeling bad about my first horse dying: not really. But then again, my horse was a dumbass and decided to drown itself. :lol

I feel always bad, if I run over an Armadillo or have to shoot them, they are kinda cute, and when you kill them, their squeaking breaks my heart :(

My new awesome Kentucky Stabbler died just a few minutes later, after I've got it, a horde of wolves came by and killed it :'( I've just got it! AND IT WAS SO FAST AND BEAUTIFUL!

Also, what is this shit, with only one horse for 20 missions trophy? There are evil animals on every corner hungry for a piece of my horse :(

Damn, I'm in love with this game :lol

Hunting wolves at 3AM in the desert with only a knife makes you feel like a MAN. I mean cotdamn, I just feel like shooting something, and eating jerky now.

berserk_ftw said:
Also, what is this shit, with only one horse for 20 missions trophy? There are evil animals on every corner hungry for a piece of my horse :(

I got that with my Stallion without ever realising it was an achievement!

Such a great game.

eXistor

The best fun I had was yesterday. After a cutscene, a hooker in Mexico basically called me a dick. So I start pushing her around, she starts falling over furniture and such (very realistically I might add). She starts to run, I hogtie her. I take her to a fairly steep hill, cut her loose and push her down and a-tumblin' she a-goes! Apparantly npc's don't die as easily as in GTA, so I hogtie her again, take her to a cliff, cut her loose and push her off. Apparantly some passer-by saw this and alerted the authorities after which I'm swiftly gunned down by the law.

God I must have spent 2 hours pissing about last night trying to do one capture bounty :lol

At one point I had shot the hats off the four henchmen, hog tied the boss.
Then his mates come so I call my horse, only to have it run infront of my dead eye and get shot in the face. I then chuck him on a random horse, only for the fuckign thing to run off with him on it :lol
So im chasing him on foot.. the horse then gets jumped by a pack of wolves!
So I whip out my knife and start stabbing everything that moves, then more mates come which I shoot then stab more wolves then I finally get the horse only for me to gun down more enemy's, accidentally shoot a policeman and end up having a massive gun fight with 4 law men and then die

Such madness.

Johnlenham said:
God I must have spent 2 hours pissing about last night trying to do one capture bounty :lol

At one point I had shot the hats off the four henchmen, hog tied the boss.
Then his mates come so I call my horse, only to have it run infront of my dead eye and get shot in the face. I then chuck him on a random horse, only for the fuckign thing to run off with him on it :lol
So im chasing him on foot.. the horse then gets jumped by a pack of wolves!
So I whip out my knife and start stabbing everything that moves, then more mates come which I shoot then stab more wolves then I finally get the horse only for me to gun down more enemy's, accidentally shoot a policeman and end up having a massive gun fight with 4 law men and then die

Such madness.

Reads like you have spent your 2 hours well, my Sir. :lol

kevm3

This game is sort of what I imagined RPGs would evolve into. Supposedly Square can't make towns, but we have a living, breathing sort of world with this game. I wonder what Rockstar would be able to do with a fantasy type world. Can't wait to get home and put some hours in on this.

Whoever goes for that 20 mission w/ one steed achievement: do NOT do a horsebreaking job in Chuparosa. The end of the job requires you to hitch the steed, unlike the one found in New Austin (forgot the name of the place - to the west w/ the rentable property), where you just lead the horse into a stable. Therefore, completing the job effectively removes your current steed and thus renders the achievement impossible unless you try again.
That's how I got fucked.

Nicktendo86

Loving the game so far. I have not got a bloody clue how to play poker but seem to win a lot by pure luck! The sheer amount of stuff to do is amazing, can see many many hours of fun still ahead and the game is gorgeous too. Have encountered a few bugs already though (the piano player keeps standing on the piano stool when I get near him and button prompts have been missing a couple of times) but nothing game breaking. Top 3 GOTY so far for me.

Grrrr! I’m really annoyed at the moment!

So...I ordered the PS3 Limited Edition from eBay a few days ago and today I messaged the guy asking roughly when I would receive it.

Not only does he tell me that he shipped me the 360 Limited Edition.....but he also tells me that it’ll arrive in over a week! What the hell?

I've no idea how he stuffed up my order and why it’s taking so long, but I think I’ll just stick with the 360 version. I’m so sick of waiting!

Darklord

Banned
How much story do I have left? I'm up to
Getting the Machine Gun with Irish from the mine
. I know it's still the first area but are the other 2 smaller or about the same?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Darklord said:
. I know it's still the first area but are the other 2 smaller or about the same?

Oh don't worry, you still have quite a bit. I'm not even up to the third area yet and I feel like the part you're talking about was forever ago.

Plasma

Banned
Darklord said:

Second one
is about the same
, third one
is a bit shorter

Darklord said:

You are less than half way.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Echoing everyone's statements in saying what a great game so far.

I was on one of the early missions near a cliff face, I hopped off my horse to loot a guy I killed and the horse almost walks over the edge. I sorta freak out, jump on it to guide it away but it fell over the edge with me on it :lol

Fucking bad luck.

Mik2121

Man, fucking bears, boars and fucking Dutch gang..

I was around Tall Trees hunting down elks and bighorns when suddenly I see a bear come to me. I point at his head, bam! killed in one shot. I go and skin him, and right as I finish, another bear comes out of fucking nowhere and jumps on me, almost killing me. When I'm about to wake up, a third bear comes from another side and kills me without me being able to do shit. Arghghh

Then I get back to the same area and, suddenly, boars. Lots of them. Two decide to charge my way and they kill my horse. Then another hits me, and as I'm about to wake up a few people from the Dutch gang (or so I think, guessing by the location) show up from nowhere and start shooting me. There, dead again..

Thanks god on the third try I got all the elk and bighorn stuff I was looking for and I could kill a bunch of bears, but still... :(

JMizzlin

Y'know, they seemed to talk an awful lot about
airplanes ("Turn men into angels!")
throughout the campaign. It'd be a shame to have Rockstar make such a beautiful environment and deny players the chance to
view it from above

Potential DLC, perhaps?

Najaf

SPOILERS

Ending questions; only read if beaten.

Once I take control of Jack, are there are no more missions? Why am I not hunting down those agents? DLC? I know the ending was supposed to be dramatic, but not letting me go kill those two bastards is messed up.

Also, am I the only one that ruined the moment where you go all Butch Cassidy from the barn, aim for the federal looking ones, only to pause the cut-scene to consider a restart because I did not take Mr. Mustache with me? I completely ruined it for myself by pausing it. I did not go back and retry, and continued on just the same, but the moment was lost.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Killing_Joke said:
Just beat the game. One the best endings ever. Really damn good.
^
I agree, it was jaw dropping.

Najaf said:
SPOILERS

Once I take control of Jack, are there are no more missions? Why am I not hunting down those agents? DLC? I know the ending was supposed to be dramatic, but not letting me go kill those two bastards is messed up.

Check for question marks in town ...you will get your revenge.

Najaf said:
SPOILERS

Also, am I the only one that ruined the moment where you go all Butch Cassidy from the barn, aim for the federal looking ones, only to pause the cut-scene to consider a restart because I did not take Mr. Mustache with me? I completely ruined it for myself by pausing it. I did not go back and retry, and continued on just the same, but the moment was lost.

Yeah I was looking for the two agents in that standoff. Though I believe only one of them is there and you can't kill him because he's obscured from view as he's behind someone else. As to your first question, without spoiling it too much I'd suggest taking another trip to blackwater.

Also you can undertake any unfinished stranger missions. I was pleasantly surprised to see they added full dialog for Jack in all of the ones I've done so far. I noticed they even went as far as adding little acknowledgements from the strangers identifying Jack as John's son.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I seem to be having troubles deciding if I want to be a good guy or bad guy, I often want to be bad, but my honour is fairly high at the moment. Ohh what to do! What are the differences between the two?

Can you miss out on stuff for being evil?

Top Bottom