• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Mayyhem

This will be the hardest 1000GS I've gotten, and I'm 100% down for trying to get it. It's going to take a while to get the max rank and 100% completion achievements.

This games too addictive.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Mayyhem said:
This will be the hardest 1000GS I've gotten, and I'm 100% down for trying to get it. It's going to take a while to get the max rank and 100% completion achievements.

Blu_LED, you are crazy. I'm not even going to try for any particular achievements, Rockstar achievements will drive you insane.

Mayyhem said:

Same, I'm very close to getting my 100% so far.:D

Loxley

Mr_Guillotine said:
Cheat, it's the only way.:D

The problem I'm running into is that I need to win a high-stakes poker game in Blackwater to unlock the US Military outfit, in order to take part in that you need to wear the Gentleman's outfit, not the other suit that allows you to cheat :(

It's just frustrating, especially for those of us who have never actually played real poker before :p

NullPointer said:
This just might be the best game I've ever played.

Feels like I'm maybe half way through, but I've loved all the free roaming gameplay right alongside the linear missions. This just might be the first game that manages to put you into an expansive open world alongside a focused narrative mission structure and balance the two experiences to perfection.

Graphics are lush and stunning, animations are top notch, voicework and the writing are ace. I care about the characters. I listen to people yammering in the saloons and card games. I take a knee and listen to the tales of random campers.

Unlike GTA4, this is not only a fully realized world with a story to tell, but it also nails the gameplay. There is life to this world, and far, far more to do than random crap in Liberty City.

Red Dead: Redemption is also aptly named, because it has completely redeemed RockStar in my eyes. They could keep this thing going forever with DLC.

I feel the same. Best game ever is a big call, but I absolutely love it. Definitely the best open world game I’ve ever played. The gameplay, mission variation, random encounters and atmosphere are all much more satisfying than GTA IV.

Havok

Open world games seriously need to have better autosaves, especially when its such a pain in the ass to save in Rockstar games. Christ. Get mauled by a goddamn mountain lion, lose 15 of the Red Sage I was trying to collect, and then it puts me all the way across the map. Perfect.

Loxley said:
The problem I'm running into is that I need to win a high-stakes poker game in Blackwater to unlock the US Military outfit, in order to take part in that you need to wear the Gentleman's outfit, not the other suit that allows you to cheat :(

It's just frustrating, especially for those of us who have never actually played real poker before :p
The one in Blackwater? You don't have to wear it, it's the table outside of your hideout to unlock the army outfit.

Papercuts said:
I really suck at cheating, I seem to instantly get spotted before I even move the arrow.
Swapping in cards while looking at your hand is easy; it's initially getting that extra card that can be tricky. Just press Triangle/Y the nanosecond you start dealing, and you should be able to move it to the center and keep it there without being caught.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my god. This game is just too much fun! I've had more fun just pushing people down stairs then I did in the past 3 games I played all together. The physics are just priceless! Holy lord, someone please make a youtube video of people being shoved down stairs set to funny music! Puhhhhh-leeeeeeease!

Mayyhem

Big Ass Ramp said:
Blu_LED, you are crazy. I'm not even going to try for any particular achievements, Rockstar achievements will drive you insane.
You have a point, I might end up giving up if it gets too frustrating.

btw, Blu_LED's avatar is different. Mines cooler :p

So, I was clearing out
Nosalida
and was attempting to fire bomb the boats, got to close to the edge of the dock and fell off to my death (drowned in the water) :( I've died more times to drowning than to anything else :( Why can't you swim just for a little bit, just enough to get back to shore. They could have had a timer "your getting fatigued your going to drown in ...time... ", or just have you automatically swim back to shore. That would fix the only problem with the game for me, otherwise I'm having so much fun :)

JambiBum

Mr_Guillotine said:
The one in Blackwater? You don't have to wear it, it's the table outside of your hideout to unlock the army outfit.

There is another table in Blackwater that is upstairs in a building where the buy in is like 250 dollars. Have to wear the suit to play that one. It seems like the majority of the people having problems winning at poker are people who have never played IRL before.

SamuraiX-

Quick question: I punched in the Rockstar code for the Golden Guns downloadable content... but there's no on or off button for them and they are kinda distracting during gameplay. Is there anywhere to take them off?

sdornan said:
Is Sidewinder Gulch a Halo reference or just a coincidence?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's Blood Gulch in Halo.

Sidewinder [Halo Map] + Blood Gulch [Halo Map] = Sidewinder Gulch.

Although these names aren't specific to Halo so it might be coincidence.

Foxy Fox 39 said:
Sidewinder [Halo Map] + Blood Gulch [Halo Map] = Sidewinder Gulch.

Although these names aren't specific to Halo so it might be coincidence.
Or it could, you know, describe the area it's named after (a winding gulch).

Nelo Ice

Banned
SamuraiX- said:
Quick question: I punched in the Rockstar code for the Golden Guns downloadable content... but there's no on or off button for them and they are kinda distracting during gameplay. Is there anywhere to take them off?

nope just get new guns if that theyre that distracting to u since they only affect the starting pistol/repeater

NG28

The single player can get pretty overwhelming with all the stuff to do, but then you get into multiplayer and realize you've barely scratched the surface. There is so much to do it gives me a headache.

SamuraiX-

Nelo Ice said:
nope just get new guns if that theyre that distracting to u since they only affect the starting pistol/repeater

Oh, really? Whew. Good. I thought every new weapon that I pick up would turn gold. :lol

JambiBum

So I'm at 99.5% for my completion and I can't figure out what the last .5 is. I've done all 20 bounties so I know it's not that. Does anyone have any idea as to what I might be missing?

JambiBum said:
So I'm at 99.5% for my completion and I can't figure out what the last .5 is. I've done all 20 bounties so I know it's not that. Does anyone have any idea as to what I might be missing?
Aztec Gold in Sidewinder Gulch, the 19th random person encounter
, was my last .5% too. :lol

I spend way too much time gambling in this game. Add that to the fact that I don't fast travel anywhere, and almost always interact with the random events, and it's hard for me to actually make any progress :lol

Haha, just was chased by two girzzly bears. John can out run them it seems, led them close Manzanita Post and they went after this guy walking down the road, got some extra fame for "saving" him from the bears I lead there in the first place.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Why the game never used that cool twisty canyon on the far left of the map near the water is beyond me.

TONS of areas were left unused in GTAIV vanilla until the DLC episodes came out. Don't speak to soon.

JambiBum

Mr_Guillotine said:
No problem, I don't know why it's the unofficial 19th one.:lol
It's not. The unofficial one is supposed to be the
I Know You
quest. You don't need to do that one to get 100%. I'm gonna assume that a lot of people miss Aztec because of where it's located. After that one mission I never went back to Sidewinder at all.

Aurora

SuperSonic1305 said:
Fuck the poker in this game. It is so rigged. They give you the perfect flop where you need just one card for a flush or a straight just to make you bet big and then it doesn't come 99% of the time. Then when you get a really good hand the AI matches it or has the one possible thing that can beat you almost everytime. And don't get me started on the 1 on 1 crap where the AI will keep making ridiculous raises just to make you fold and chip away at your chips.
You don't play much poker do you?

JambiBum said:
It's not. The unofficial one is supposed to be the
I Know You
quest. You don't need to do that one to get 100%. I'm gonna assume that a lot of people miss Aztec because of where it's located. After that one mission I never went back to Sidewinder at all.
:lol
Well at least you got your 100% right?
Speaking of
I Know You
is a really weird quest.

Anyone get a really annoying glitch while playing Liars Dice? I was going for the trophy and one guy was eliminated and the other guy was down to one dice. I looked at my dice and there was a shadow cast on the dice preventing me from seeing what three of my dice were. It looked like I had two fours, so I bet that and he called my bluff. Turns out he was right and I lost a dice. All that effort for nothing. Did end up getting it afterwards, but that shadow thing has happened a few times since then.

JambiBum

Mr_Guillotine said:
:lol
Well at least you got your 100% right?
Speaking of
I Know You
is a really weird quest.

Yes I got it. Right before I have to go to work too. I'm pretty sure that that quest is a way of the game letting you know that it knows how you're acting throughout the world. Hence why it doesn't count towards 100%. I thought of it as if it were John's
subconscious
speaking to him. I know when I did it I was a little dishonorable at first and he tried to make me
kill some old lady
for no reason other than she existed. Went back to him later with higher honor and he gave me "nicer" things to do.

Klocker

Havok said:
Open world games seriously need to have better autosaves, especially when its such a pain in the ass to save in Rockstar games. Christ. Get mauled by a goddamn mountain lion, lose 15 of the Red Sage I was trying to collect, and then it puts me all the way across the map. Perfect.

use a horse deed occasionally and it does a quick save and never leaves the screen.

JambiBum said:
Yes I got it. Right before I have to go to work too. I'm pretty sure that that quest is a way of the game letting you know that it knows how you're acting throughout the world. Hence why it doesn't count towards 100%. I thought of it as if it were John's
subconscious
speaking to him. I know when I did it I was a little dishonorable at first and he tried to make me
kill some old lady
for no reason other than she existed. Went back to him later with higher honor and he gave me "nicer" things to do.
Really? I thought it was
God or a grim reaper of sorts, hence why he stands near breecher's hope in your last encounter and says "This is a fine spot..." which happens to be where marston is buried after his death.

Top Bottom