• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

KAP151 said:
If it's bothering you that much, just start a private game under Multiplayer, level up a bit (get enough for 3rd horse), then come back in to public. You can easily get 2k+ at the Basin hideout next to Mcfarlens Ranch. Takes like 10-15 mins a go.

Can you invite friends on a private one and get trophies? If you can level up, I guess so, right?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
GullyJuice said:
The one with West Dickens.

Dear God. I thought rubber band logic was done away with 10 years ago. Only Rockstar.

Guns. Use them. Rubberbands or not, I had no problem with that "race".

GullyJuice said:
That horse racing mission.

That motherfucking horse racing mission.

Use a Kentucky Saddler or American Standardbred, otherwise you probably won't win no matter how well you run. If you did Bonnie's missions you'll have the Kentucky Saddler already (or can buy the deed).

Bring horse pills and apples, and don't be afraid to use them mid race.

What it all boils down to, though, is how fast you push the A button (X on ps3), don't overdo it, your horse can reach top speed with you tapping slower than you think. Just try and keep up. When you get to the end of the race, push your horse hard and have it take pills/apple when its stamina gets low, then keep on pushing hard.

Wiggum2007

lawblob said:
The newspaper is pure gold in this game.

Does it update with new papers frequently? I feel like I'm close to leaving the first area in the game, but no new editions have been released yet, besides the one available from the start of the game.

this game is hilarious. two of these dudes killed me on their way to pike's basin when i was in armadillo...i had just hit level 20 before arriving...needless to say, they didn't have much fun completing that mission- especially bomb planting.

chandoog said:
2zfltua.jpg

oh R* ..

Yesterday, I came near some bad guys after they hanged a black man at the gallows.

So much to the not excisting racism against black people in RDR as some people described it earlier...

wayward archer said:
Use a Kentucky Saddler or American Standardbred, otherwise you probably won't win no matter how well you run. If you did Bonnie's missions you'll have the Kentucky Saddler already (or can buy the deed).

i used a standard brown horse and those races were easy. just hit A or X every second or third gallop and hold it to let the stamina fill. the key is to not get anxious just find a comfortable pace and keep it.

Started this last night. This is the best looking open world game right now. It is fucking beautiful.

With that what the fuck is with text font? It is very hard to read. Didn't see any option to fix it. Hope there is a patch for it. Controls are kinda floaty too. May be will get used to after some time.

Hard to tell where artistic freedom stops and turns into racism, sexism, etc.

In my eyes Rockstar aimed for a realistic depiction of the "Wild West" and this means that racism is a big part of it. It is part of the immersion they want to achieve. As far as I can judge Rockstar doesn't encourage the player to be racist or anything similar. So in my idealistic world view I think that the game can even show some history lessons of some sort at least. Better than nothing I dare to say.

Does anyone else find Five Finger Fillet friggin' impossible? Once it gets up to the $10 bet I'm screwed. Guess I won't be going for 100%, I simply can't beat it.

Rollo Larson said:
i used a standard brown horse and those races were easy. just hit A or X every second or third gallop and hold it to let the stamina fill. the key is to not get anxious just find a comfortable pace and keep it.

Yeah, I had no issue with the races either. The only difficulty is staying on course and not losing speed during turns. As long as you keep pace, you can stay well ahead of the entire pack for the entire race.

Baker

Banned
Pretty sweet that the promotional credit was a real gift card and not just for games as usual.

I also have a spare golden gun code to give away. First PM works so we don't stink up the thread.

ThirstyFly said:
Does anyone else find Five Finger Fillet friggin' impossible? Once it gets up to the $10 bet I'm screwed. Guess I won't be going for 100%, I simply can't beat it.

Is it confirmed you need to do the $10 bet for 100%?

I thought you just had to play the games not get certain scores on them.

Baker

Banned
ThirstyFly said:
Nope, I was doing $10-25 the first time I ran into the game and passed just fine. It's always the same patterns so you don't really have to pay attention to what buttons pop up.

blanky

kyo_daikun said:

Yes, 100% needs you to finish and win one of each game. But five fingers becomes easier when you look at the buttons as patterns and then memorise them. Think of the minigame as Boom Boom Rocket (sic) i had more trouble with 2nd one because it's uneven, (A B A Y A B A Y A B, repeat) while the third makes a bit more sense, just get the pattern and then practice it 5 minutes and it will be very easy.

blanky said:
Yes, 100% needs you to finish and win one of each game. But five fingers becomes easier when you look at the buttons as patterns and then memorise them. Think of the minigame as Boom Boom Rocket (sic) i had more trouble with 2nd one because it's uneven, (A B A Y A B A Y A B, repeat) while the third makes a bit more sense, just get the pattern and then practice it 5 minutes and it will be very easy.

How do you finish blackjack? Is it counted as complete as long as you make a profit from the game?

Just finished the game.
The REAL ending
Wow. One of the best endings for a game ever, IMO.

Question though:
Was it possible to avoid killing Bill? Like how I could just capture the other guy? Was it possible to just shoot the gun out of Ross's hand? Or did I need to kill him?

Also, amazing music for the credits.

ThirstyFly said:

I actually find Five Finger Fillet to be the easiest and fastest way of earning money. Even $100 bets are ridiculously easy once you know the sequence. The easiest way is to memorise the button sequence, and then look at your controller, and not the screen.

The sequence for the hardest bet (on 360) is:

A, B, A, Y, A, X, A, B, A, Y

...and repeat. Basically, you just alternate between the A button and the others, but every cycle from the second onwards has you repeat B and then Y.

Practice outside of Five Finger Fillet first until you get it down. Start off slow, and when you have the sequence down, start doing it faster. It's actually really easy. Again, when you're playing FFF, do NOT look at the screen. It really throws you off, to the extent that I can do it every time if I look at the controller, but never if I look at the screen.

_RT_

systemfehler said:

In my eyes Rockstar aimed for a realistic depiction of the "Wild West" and this means that racism is a big part of it. It is part of the immersion they want to achieve. As far as I can judge Rockstar doesn't encourage the player to be racist or anything similar. So in my idealistic world view I think that the game can even show some history lessons of some sort at least. Better than nothing I dare to say.

I usually get frustrated when people cry racism at videogames. The black zombies for example (don't remember the game).

In this case though... I find myself thinking that the "humor" of the newspapers, the racist language used by some of the people and even the random "jew" stuff thrown out.. is just too much. It's not needed. It doesn't bring anything to the game. It just generally makes me cringe.

To the point that I probably wouldn't have purchased the game if I had known.

To be clear... I think the game is fun. It's a great open world concept. I just don't think this level of "accuracy" was needed.

Marvie_3

Banned
Baker said:
Nope, I was doing $10-25 the first time I ran into the game and passed just fine. It's always the same patterns so you don't really have to pay attention to what buttons pop up.
Same here. Way easier than dealing with the cheating AI in blackjack and poker. :lol

UrbanRats

systemfehler said:

To me is a non issue.
Racism, just as other form of shitty human behavior, is not something to "hide" like it never existed.
Depitching a wild west with no racism, with no sexism and so on, would have been much more offensive(and retarded) IMO.
I mean, people are REALLY going to become racist, if they read "negroes" in RDR? If you act racist(or sexist or whatever) you're an idiot, RDR or not.
There's no way a game can turn a normal person into some lunatic crazy asshole like this.:lol

Zozobra

So I just reached Mexico last night... Maaaaaaan, after getting off the raft, that ride to your first destination with 'Far Away' playing in the background was one of the most blissful gaming moments of my life. I don't know what it was, but I got chills - riding into the unknown with the setting sun and the soothing song in the background, letting me know that despite the danger ahead, I had nothing to fear. For a moment I was John Marston. Then I got off my horse to pick an herb and the song stopped. FUUUUUUUU!!!

I think there was a thread dedicated specifically to this sort of thing, but for me this one part turned RDR from a really good game into one of the best games I've ever played. Masterful!

Pink Gorilla

Neo Member
Rollo Larson said:
I just used some shitty generic horse that I got after my old one died and I won both races. I don't know why everyone is having such a hard time with it, I thought it was easy.

_RT_

Zozobra said:
So I just reached Mexico last night... Maaaaaaan, after getting off the raft, that ride to your first destination with 'Far Away' playing in the background was one of the most blissful gaming moments of my life.......

I got the same feelings. Thought the song captured the moment of the game perfectly.

Downhome

The cougars...they haunt my nightmares.

Last night I dreamed one attacked me and my family out of nowhere and I had to kill it by hand.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Sir Hamish said:
Just arrived in Blackwater having finished the Mexico missions. Is there much else story stuff to finish? I dont want it to end :(
You're like 3/4 of the way through, maybe a little over..

burgerdog

Zozobra said:
So I just reached Mexico last night... Maaaaaaan, after getting off the raft, that ride to your first destination with 'Far Away' playing in the background was one of the most blissful gaming moments of my life. I don't know what it was, but I got chills - riding into the unknown with the setting sun and the soothing song in the background, letting me know that despite the danger ahead, I had nothing to fear. For a moment I was John Marston. Then I got off my horse to pick an herb and the song stopped. FUUUUUUUU!!!

I think there was a thread dedicated specifically to this sort of thing, but for me this one part turned RDR from a really good game into one of the best games I've ever played. Masterful!
Haha, wow, the exact same thing happened to me.

Thanks for the Five Finger Fillet tips guys, I'll give it another try later. I'm awful at rhythm games though. I either do this one too fast or two slow :(

Klocker

systemfehler said:

agreed... I think the art reflects society. they do that here saying, yea, 100 years ago we were still acting like ignorant assholes.

kyo_daikun said:

Yeah, you also need to beat all of the guys at a certain table to unlock one of the outfits which is required for 100% which is what I was trying to do when I got stuck.

Not sure I understand the complaints about racism or sexism. It existed at the time, and still does. These weren't nice people, and I think the game doesn't really glorify them.

The one thing I don't understand -- though I'm not far into the game -- is the editorial criticism of the federal government. It completely breaks with the reality that these people live in a place where people are evidently murdered every hour. Maybe it's meant to be ironic, but it comes off as trying to appeal to a rather childish view of governance in the West. The much more important, yet (to the point I've reached) underplayed element is the rampant local dishonesty.

daddynorcal

Neo Member
ShadyLurker said:
So I signed up for that Rockstar social club thing so I could go online and check my completion percentage and see what stuff I've missed, but it doesn't seem to ever update. When I registered 2 days ago I was at 82%, now I'm at 87% in my game, but my stats on social club still say 82. Kind of pointless if it doesn't update at all.

We're aware of a delay for some people on the Social Club site and are working to fix it as quickly as possible.

R* Support

So this was probably asked before but I can't find it anywhere. The map you can see in the menu, is that the ENTIRE map or is that just one of the three? I'm confused.

Top Bottom