• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

johnnyg87

Neo Member
Zozobra said:
So I just reached Mexico last night... Maaaaaaan, after getting off the raft, that ride to your first destination with 'Far Away' playing in the background was one of the most blissful gaming moments of my life. I don't know what it was, but I got chills - riding into the unknown with the setting sun and the soothing song in the background, letting me know that despite the danger ahead, I had nothing to fear. For a moment I was John Marston. Then I got off my horse to pick an herb and the song stopped. FUUUUUUUU!!!

I think there was a thread dedicated specifically to this sort of thing, but for me this one part turned RDR from a really good game into one of the best games I've ever played. Masterful!

YES thank you! I said this quite a few pages ago too and someone said that they got that song later.. or at a different time. I was hoping that someone else got to experience it like I did. Absolutely serene.

Aurora

_RT_ said:
I usually get frustrated when people cry racism at videogames. The black zombies for example (don't remember the game).

In this case though... I find myself thinking that the "humor" of the newspapers, the racist language used by some of the people and even the random "jew" stuff thrown out.. is just too much. It's not needed. It doesn't bring anything to the game. It just generally makes me cringe.

To the point that I probably wouldn't have purchased the game if I had known.

To be clear... I think the game is fun. It's a great open world concept. I just don't think this level of "accuracy" was needed.
You wouldn't have bought the GOTY because the word "Jew" is thrown around a few times? Okay.

Teknoman

Aurora said:
You wouldn't have bought the GOTY because the word "Jew" is thrown around a few times? Okay.

Well a few of the black dudes in town talk about calling someone cracker right to their face, and a white guy said " You'll believe anything i'll say because i'm white". Its a serious game, but its still made by Rockstar, and they usually poke at whatever issues might have gone on in that era.

harrytang

slasher_thrasher21 said:
So this was probably asked before but I can't find it anywhere. The map you can see in the menu, is that the ENTIRE map or is that just one of the three? I'm confused.

entire map. i thought it looked small at first but when you zoom in you really get a sense for how massive this game is.

Racism is part of the time period, so I do think it adds to the flavor of the world.

It also makes me want to kill the owner of the Armadillo general store, since he just won't stop talking about "de jewz". At the very least it gave me motivation to bankrupt his ass in Texas Hold em.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
oh you play the townspeople in poker? I assumed it would just be random looking people.

Am I missing something here in regards to the plot?
I've been doing a whole bunch of missions for De Santa, helping the Mexican government quell a rebel group, whose leader is Abraham Reyes, right? I finished all the De Santa missions (unless there are more later; the last one I did was the one where you use a gatling gun to protect the train), and decided to start on the Luisa missions. The second one has you running off to save Abraham Reyes. Is this a lack of consistency if you do missions in a certain way, or did I miss something? I mean, I'm under the impression that De Santa is actually a bad guy or something, as the train mission was obviously a set-up, but it seems odd to suddenly go from fighting the rebels to rescuing their leader, with no clarification.

Please try not to spoil anything for me, obviously. I'd just like to know if I misinterpreted any of the plot so far, or if there are indeed issues with consistency if you don't do missions in just the right order.

Anyone mention this yet?
There's a bug where half your consumables disappear when you start your game with a save that has a finished Treasure Challenge. That gives you the ability to carry 10 items, but you only have 5 when you load a game. So, if you save with 10 you start with 5 when you load your game. It only happens on your first load, not any loads during the game. Anybody else notice that? I wonder when R* will fix it?

Gribbix

Inferno313 said:
Just finished the game.
The REAL ending
Wow. One of the best endings for a game ever, IMO.

Question though:
Was it possible to avoid killing Bill? Like how I could just capture the other guy? Was it possible to just shoot the gun out of Ross's hand? Or did I need to kill him?

Also, amazing music for the credits.

You don't have to kill Bill, but he will still die. I tried waiting a bit to hear what he had to say. After Reyes kills Allende, Bill will claim that he'll come peacefully but then he'll quickly reach for Allende's gun. I was about to pull the trigger but Reyes beat me to the punch and killed Bill.

As for the duel, I doubt you can shoot the gun out of Ross' hand. I tried to shoot the gun out of the hand of the guy that got the house maid pregnant in one of the 'stranger' missions, but the game simply wouldn't allow it. I would guess it'd be the same for Ross.

Filldough

Deepack said:
So, it's not possible to win a duel with one shot in the later stages of the game?

I think its still possible, you just have to have better accuracy and timing. My brother and I were struggling with this last night so I read up and realized I was just sorta aiming and shooting and not paying attention to the x's as they change from red to white. A white x on the face seems to be a one shot kill. I havent done it enough to verify though... but yeah, gets a LOT harder all of a sudden.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oh my god the ending, so satisfying ..

picture contains end-game spoilers (if you can make things out properly in the shit quality) but damn it was fun to let the rage out ..

http://i45.tinypic.com/xm2uk6.jpg

Ben2749 said:
Am I missing something here in regards to the plot?
I've been doing a whole bunch of missions for De Santa, helping the Mexican government quell a rebel group, whose leader is Abraham Reyes, right? I finished all the De Santa missions (unless there are more later; the last one I did was the one where you use a gatling gun to protect the train), and decided to start on the Luisa missions. The second one has you running off to save Abraham Reyes. Is this a lack of consistency if you do missions in a certain way, or did I miss something? I mean, I'm under the impression that De Santa is actually a bad guy or something, as the train mission was obviously a set-up, but it seems odd to suddenly go from fighting the rebels to rescuing their leader, with no clarification.

Please try not to spoil anything for me, obviously. I'd just like to know if I misinterpreted any of the plot so far, or if there are indeed issues with consistency if you don't do missions in just the right order.

It's a lot simpler than you think. Marsten is working for anybody who he thinks can help him get to Williamson and Escuella at that point, even if it means working for two opposing factions. He doesn't really take up either cause as his own in that conflict.

Gribbix

Rockstar just posted a reminder about the RDR short film:
An Original Short Film Made from Red Dead Redemption Airing on FOX this Saturday Night
This Saturday night, May 29th at 12 AM Eastern and 9 PM Pacific, FOX will be exclusively airing an original short film made from Red Dead Redemption.

The 30 minute short film, created and directed by John Hillcoat (the director of The Proposition and The Road), chronicles a slice-in-time of protagonist John Marston as he tracks down his former fellow outlaw and friend, Bill Williamson. Along the way, Marston encounters many of Red Dead Redemption's eclectic cast of dreamers, misfits and liars.

Using the world of Red Dead Redemption as a virtual film studio and created entirely with in-game assets and technology, Hillcoat re-imagines Marston’s pursuit of justice and salvation.

Stay tuned for more details...

wayward archer said:
It's a lot simpler than you think. Marsten is working for anybody who he thinks can help him get to Williamson and Escuella at that point, even if it means working for two opposing factions. He doesn't really take up either cause as his own in that conflict.

OK, that explains the inconsistency but
Luisa
hasn't given any indication that they know any info regarding Williamson and Escuella. Or is it again simpler than I'm making out, and Marston is just helping out of altruism in this instance?

The Fuck, my pre-ordered limited edition is delayed until further notice (clerk said something about supply issues). I went home with the strategy guide to glance at cool pictures....

FML :-(

Ploid 3.0

I'm not sure if enough time has passed yet, trying to talk myself out of buying RDR. I loved the PS2 GTA's, hated the lack of freedom and things to do in GTA4 (freedom to do stuff without a undercover cop spotting you for example, no good fun codes, and each time you enter a code you have to do so via phone), LOVE Saints Row 2, Just Cause 2 is amazing.

So should I get it? Is it the real deal, return to awesome from rockstar?

Edit: Also I'm more of a "I do missions to unlock the map so I can have the real fun" type of person. SR2, and JC2 were kind enough to give the meat at the start of the game. In short, I don't really care about doing story missions. I just want to have plenty to get distracted with and fun stuff to do that won't get old. Wonder how this will be possible without planes, awesome weapons, and wacky codes. Going to see if there are any codes now actually.

MMaRsu

Ploid 3.0 said:
I'm not sure if enough time has passed yet, trying to talk myself out of buying RDR. I loved the PS2 GTA's, hated the lack of freedom and things to do in GTA4 (freedom to do stuff without a undercover cop spotting you for example, no good fun codes, and each time you enter a code you have to do so via phone), LOVE Saints Row 2, Just Cause 2 is amazing.

Gameplay wise YES. Story wise it has it's downers, R* still can't write a decent story as far as I'm concerned. Looking at this and GTAIV that is. However the dialogue they write is amazing.

Ben2749 said:
OK, that explains the inconsistency but
Luisa
hasn't given any indication that they know any info regarding Williamson and Escuella. Or is it again simpler than I'm making out, and Marston is just helping out of altruism in this instance?

I guess she is just how you get access to Reyes. I think Irish tells you when you first arrive to either go to the Federales or the Rebeldes. Since the Feds are out in the open and the Rebels are in hiding, you have to sort of earn their trust through helping her to get to the Rebel higher-ups (Reyes) so they can start helping you.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Ploid 3.0 said:

It doesn't really have any of the constraints or annoyances that GTA IV had. They made fast travel even easier. The online is much more entertaining than IV.

I feel like there's once again a high level of freedom in how you approach missions. At least with regard to attack strategies.

Ploid 3.0 said:
Can't say I'm having as much fun as Just Cause 2 but it's still a great game with a much better story.

Ploid 3.0

MMaRsu said:
Gameplay wise YES. Story wise it has it's downers, R* still can't write a decent story as far as I'm concerned. Looking at this and GTAIV that is. However the dialogue they write is amazing.

Story is the least of my concern in sandbox. I mainly like doing random stuff and getting lost with things to do.

blanky

Ploid 3.0 said:
Story is the least of my concern in sandbox. I mainly like doing random stuff and getting lost with things to do.

RDR is the best world to get lost in, so many things you can encounter. Vicious animals, pretty flowers to pick, helpless nuns and flying donkey women.

Dan Yo

Banned
My only real issue with Rockstar and their open-world games is that at times it seems they are trying too hard with the humor. Enjoying Red Dead so far but most of the characters are just impossible to take seriously. To the point where I'm not sure if it really feels much like a Western, or rather, some comedy that happens to take place in the West.

I'm not saying to ditch the humor, but tone it down a bit. Make some of the situations feel real. Scary, even. Not every mission has to be littered with comical dialogue and goofy characters.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Man, it really hurts to read this thread. I haven't gotten to play since my marathon session on Saturday. Damn work I need to lasso and hog tie my boss. :lol

MMaRsu

Dan Yo said:
My only real issue with Rockstar and their open-world games is that at times it seems they are trying too hard with the humor. Enjoying Red Dead so far but most of the characters are just impossible to take seriously. To the point where I'm not sure if it really feels much like a Western, or rather, some comedy that happens to take place in the West.

I'm not saying to ditch the humor, but tone it down a bit. Make some of the situations feel real. Scary, even. Not every mission has to be littered with comical dialogue and goofy characters.

That's a repost right?

Reknoc

Hunting on freeroam is kind of a chore. And natually when we finally finish one challenge, say like wolves, we suddenly have no trouble finding wolves when what we want is cougars.

Gyrian

Finally reached Mexico last night.
One of those perfect moments; riding in the early morning to that music, looking for somewhere to stay. Hats off to R* for spot-on voice acting in the very first cinematic I saw there.

Loving the poncho, too. :]

dekjo

Played the game for most of the weekend and a bit yesterday. Through most of Mexico, I think. Just started hanging with Abraham. I think the game is okay, but it bugs me that the main character has to end up doing three or four favors/missions before people give him anything in return.

Maybe John is as patient and trusting as a saint, but I'm not. After doing something for someone with the expectation that they'll help you after doing the favor, I expect that help, not another request for another favor. And that the game makes you go through this over and over is annoying and keeps me from enjoying the game as much as I could be.

The missions themselves are fine, I've enjoyed most of them. And the characters are fun for the most part. I guess my issue is with John. Dude just doesn't have enough of a spine and just lets people just use him over and over again, with getting nothing in return most of the time. It's a common problem in other GTA games, if I remember correctly, but this time it's bugging me more than before. Just seems to pull me out of the game more than the GTA ones did.

Ploid 3.0

blanky said:
RDR is the best world to get lost in, so many things you can encounter. Vicious animals, pretty flowers to pick, helpless nuns and flying donkey women.

This is the thing I liked most about reading this thread. People being challenged with a threat as they mind their own business. That was missing in GTA4 unless you picked on the wrong npc that happen to have friends and guns. Also the gambling and such. RDR+1

UrbanRats said:
Can i have my weapon NOT golden? They're cool and all, but a bit too pimp for my taste. :lol

You will have to buy new weapons and use them, you can't turn off the golden gun effect as far as I know.

Top Bottom