• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

dekjo

Tingfrmnongpradu said:
This game is amazing, but the amount of glitches are fucking insane. I even had my PS3 reset to the XMB in the middle of a fight. FFS. :lol

Yeah, I've had the game freeze up twice over the weekend and had to reset. Luckily didn't seem like I lost anything - one was right after getting $200 from capturing a bandit and still had the money when I reloaded.

dekjo said:
Yeah, I've had the game freeze up twice over the weekend and had to reset. Luckily didn't seem like I lost anything - one was right after getting $200 from capturing a bandit and still had the money when I reloaded.

Not had any freezes yet, I do seem to lose all sound except for marsden talking frequently when I load up my saves tho, very weird to see all the peoples mouths move but nothing coming out :lol

Yackie

I went to Tall Trees for the first time last night, and within 5 seconds I get attacked and killed by two bears that came out of nowhere. Now I'm scared to go back there for a while and I find it funny that fake video game bears can terrify me.

Reknoc

I love the way NPCs act during Poker. Was playing with three other NPCs, Herbert Moon (It's Herbert Mooooon) would keep saying stuff about what's happening down in Mexico or how the Jews are to blame for everything and this Cowboy guy would always respond with "Themsa being here will incite a civilwar sure as shooting". Then I got caught cheating and Herbert Moon challenged me to a duel.

Ploid 3.0 said:
I'm not sure if enough time has passed yet, trying to talk myself out of buying RDR. I loved the PS2 GTA's, hated the lack of freedom and things to do in GTA4 (freedom to do stuff without a undercover cop spotting you for example, no good fun codes, and each time you enter a code you have to do so via phone), LOVE Saints Row 2, Just Cause 2 is amazing.

So should I get it? Is it the real deal, return to awesome from rockstar?

Edit: Also I'm more of a "I do missions to unlock the map so I can have the real fun" type of person. SR2, and JC2 were kind enough to give the meat at the start of the game. In short, I don't really care about doing story missions. I just want to have plenty to get distracted with and fun stuff to do that won't get old. Wonder how this will be possible without planes, awesome weapons, and wacky codes. Going to see if there are any codes now actually.
Sounds like we have similar tastes. I LOVE open world games and the freedom to explore the environment at your own pace and tell your own story through your actions. There's no damn use to having an open world if you cant find your own fun within it, and that's where GTA4 failed hard. There was just nothing to do except fuck with random civilians or get the cops to chase you. GTA4 left such a bad taste in my mouth that I never ended up finishing it, and had absolutely zero interest in this game - until my friends pretty much forced it on me. I'm glad they did :)

Red Dead is the opposite of GTA4 in many ways. There's full-on hunting, gathering, capturing wild horses, random dynamic encounters, bounty hunting, gambling (poker, liars dice, arm wrestling, horse shoes, finger fillet), large gang hideouts to clear, treasure hunting, survivalist, hunting and sharpshooting challenges, the works. And the world is so lovingly crafted that its a joy just to take your trusty steed for a ride and learn the roads and paths.

And all of that is besides the actual story missions, which I've loved, due to RockStar's style of mixing you up with all sorts of strange cooks and characters. And there's multiplayer co-op mini-missions and adversarial modes too.

So if anything, I'd say this game has everything that made GTA4 great (character, story, and a fully realized world), with all the stuff that made older GTA games great (the ambient gameplay). If you love open worlds, this is the best one I've come across yet.

wanted to share my settings I posted in the other thread

ExtraKr1spy said:
1650x1080 monitor using VGA cables with the xbox video setting set to expanded, I use:

From default
Brightness + 1
Contrast - 1
Saturation - Max

Love how the colors pop.

Only real problem I've had is sometimes its too dark in nighttime indoor scenes but adjusting the brightness up a bit helps.

blanky

Dan Yo said:
My only real issue with Rockstar and their open-world games is that at times it seems they are trying too hard with the humor. Enjoying Red Dead so far but most of the characters are just impossible to take seriously. To the point where I'm not sure if it really feels much like a Western, or rather, some comedy that happens to take place in the West.

I'm not saying to ditch the humor, but tone it down a bit. Make some of the situations feel real. Scary, even. Not every mission has to be littered with comical dialogue and goofy characters.

There are a few good characters though, the MacFarlanes, US Marshalls, Landon Ricketts. But yeah the ones who go a bit beyond are very strong, Irish was okay though.

Ploid 3.0

Thanks NullPointer, sounds like Rockstar woke up with this game. I can get this for $42 at amazon free shipping, time to attack.

Dan Yo

Banned
blanky said:
There are a few good characters though, the MacFarlanes, US Marshalls, Landon Ricketts. But yeah the ones who go a bit beyond are very strong, Irish was okay though.
Yes. The game definitely seemed to have a different tone before meeting West Dickens. I was a lot more immersed in the game and its story before that point.

Anyway, just got to Mexico so we'll see how things progress from here.

I'm really enjoying the game, but there a few things that jar and there is definitely room for improvement in a sequel. I know they are stupid niggles but there are quite a few:

- When you come across an injured Sheriff and you take down the criminals who attack him he always shoots the robber afterwards if you return them. At first i was like 'woah' but after a while it seems a little 'out of place'. I'd prefer it if it could have been a bit more random. Then after shooting them they limp away, sometimes miles from civilisation! Surely they should ask for a ride, or ask you to fetch help. Yes it would mean taking a bit more time to complete an ad hoc mission but it wouldn't be so immersion breaking.

- Dead Eye is too overpowered and you can rank it up far too early in the game. It should be a precious thing, only to be used when you absolutely have too and in really sticky situations, but because the meter refills so quickly and you can easily use it 3 or 4 times from a full meter in one setting it makes combat far too easy.

- Auto aim shouldn't exist in this game, period. I wouldn't use it at all were in not for the fact that it can very difficult to see some enemies at distance especially when it's dark, yet they have no problem seeing me.

- Health regeneration shouldn't be here either. Given the eco system with plants and animals Rockstar put in place, it would make more sense to do something around that for health regain - firefights are often way too easy and after completing many of the survivalist/hunting challenges I'm left with crap loads of meat and skins which yes I can sell, but hunting would be much more important if it was integral to survival - also without auto aiming it would be much more of a challenge too. It would also be great if you could make up remedies from combining some of the flora, to be used to treat wounds which you build up over time and or strengthen your horses speed stamina rather than the current system.

- Stealth should be factored into the gameplay too - if i can kill a gang member I should be able to steal their clothing and as long as I don't get too close I should be able to disguise myself to sneak in/around gang hideouts and have some knife stealth kills.

There's a ton of other stuff I can think off too, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Dont get me wrong I think it's a great game but there is a lot of room for improvement on a formula which is still very close in style to GTA.

oktarb

I've beat the game and kept playing, which is saying something for me. I usually beat a game and then let it gather dust, maybe messing around with it a year later.

This game seems to constantly suprise me. I thought I knew what was what. Save the hanging man, challnged to a duel, stop the thief/horse thief, save the prostitute ect.

Then just when I had it all figured out I'm asked to drive a wagon of exposives half way across Mexico. While being shot at.

I truely hope the suprises keep coming, well done Rockstar!

PS: please please make a ton of DLC and please please don't make it all modern. I'll kill a kitten if I see an automobile race.

OriginalThinking said:
- Auto aim shouldn't exist in this game, period. I wouldn't use it at all were in not for the fact that it can very difficult to see some enemies at distance especially when it's dark, yet they have no problem seeing me.

Seems like a dumb complaint when you can easily turn it off. I've played the entire time on Expert so I've enjoyed not having it, but I could see people wanting to use it if they're not as used to controlling cameras and aiming and stuff.

Inclusion makes it so less skilled players can still play and have fun.

so what's the problem exactly?

timetokill said:
Seems like a dumb complaint when you can easily turn it off. I've played the entire time on Expert so I've enjoyed not having it, but I could see people wanting to use it if they're not as used to controlling cameras and aiming and stuff.

Inclusion makes it so less skilled players can still play and have fun.

so what's the problem exactly?

You can turn it off yes, but i shouldn't need to toggle it back on when someone's shooting at me from a mile away that I can't see cos it's too dark. If the game had been built without auto aim this wouldn't have been an issue. It's not the end of the world, just a little annoying.

rainking187 said:
Anyone get a really annoying glitch while playing Liars Dice? I was going for the trophy and one guy was eliminated and the other guy was down to one dice. I looked at my dice and there was a shadow cast on the dice preventing me from seeing what three of my dice were. It looked like I had two fours, so I bet that and he called my bluff. Turns out he was right and I lost a dice. All that effort for nothing. Did end up getting it afterwards, but that shadow thing has happened a few times since then.

This happened to me a few times. To remedy it I just paused the game when it was my turn. This at least allowed me to see what I had.

OriginalThinking said:
You can turn it off yes, but i shouldn't need to toggle it back on when someone's shooting at me from a mile away that I can't see cos it's too dark. If the game had been built without auto aim this wouldn't have been an issue. It's not the end of the world, just a little annoying.
Turn up the brightness/gamma...

The Lamonster said:
Turn up the brightness/gamma...

Which I do, but then it makes the game world seem overly bright. So either I'm toggling auto aim, or fiddling with the brightness settings, neither is perfect. The best solution I've found so far is using dead eye, which can make things easier to see at night. It's only a small niggle so I don't want to pollute the thread with it.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
OriginalThinking said:
- Health regeneration shouldn't be here either.

I love the regenerating health. One of the things I always hated about GTAIV was that I never felt comfortable attempting anything unless I was at full health and had a vest on. It was always tedious to have to put that all together after every mission.

I see where you're going with the wilderness survival stuff though. Yesterday I walked my horse up to a stream to see if he would drink from it (he didn't) but it made me think it might have been neat to have to feed and water your horses and stuff. I'm sure it would have ended up being tedious and annoying though.

I don't know but everyone keeps talking about some music moment that happens when you get to Mexico. I don't think that happened for me. Firstly, it was fucking rainy when I got into Mexico, and the only music I got was
when we were on the raft fighting our way down the river

Is that what you guys are talking about? I don't think so. =\

pr0cs

Borgnine said:
I love the regenerating health. One of the things I always hated about GTAIV was that I never felt comfortable attempting anything unless I was at full health and had a vest on. It was always tedious to have to put that all together after every mission.
QFT.
The health system is perfect, it's still really easy to die/get killed if you're playing stupid but the game rewards you with some great action events if you take risks.

Borgnine said:
It was always tedious to have to put that all together after every mission.

That would be the issue, but the West according to this game is a very dangerous place, the problem is that during gunfights I rarely feel any tension - I know I just have to wait a few seconds and I'll be fine and the cover system makes it fairly easy to do so. I really think the gun battles would be that much more intense if you knew that you were a few shots from death - being out on the open road where muggers and thieves lie in wait for you miles from any sign of the law would really add to the overall atmosphere of the game.

sdornan said:
The couple of comments about it being too dark at night confuse me. Seems pretty bright on my TV with the default settings.

Like I said it's only an issue for me when there is long range combat, otherwise it's not too dark at all ;)

OriginalThinking said:
That would be the issue, but the West according to this game is a very dangerous place, the problem is that during gunfights I rarely feel any tension - I know I just have to wait a few seconds and I'll be fine and the cover system makes it fairly easy to do so. I really think the gun battles would be that much more intense if you knew that you were a few shots from death - being out on the open road where muggers and thieves lie in wait for you miles from any sign of the law would really add to the overall atmosphere of the game.

Have you played GTAIV without cheats? The non regenerating health bar is INSANELY annoying, and hinders the gameplay experience a TON. I never, EVER understood why they went with it in GTA, and I hope this signals a change. Regenerating health is the best choice for open world games unless they give you an auto save every 10 steps.

Loving the game so far, encountered one major glitch on my last playthrough though. I was riding my horse quickly through the hills, went up a really steep one....and just kept going up past the hill.

Rode around in the sky for awhile....got off the horse and watched it plummet to it's death from 60 feet in the air and then was unable to move. I have to admit, as annoying as glitches are, the ones in this game are pretty hilarious.

Net_Wrecker said:
Have you played GTAIV without cheats? The non regenerating health bar is INSANELY annoying, and hinders the gameplay experience a TON. I never, EVER understood why they went with it in GTA, and I hope this signals a change. Regenerating health is the best choice for open world games unless they give you an auto save every 10 steps.
Man, I used to play GTA that had LIVES. That's right, LIVES. Run out of lives and it's game over.

It's like every game needs regenerating health these days because gamers aren't up to the task of just surviving anymore.

Yackie said:
I went to Tall Trees for the first time last night, and within 5 seconds I get attacked and killed by two bears that came out of nowhere. Now I'm scared to go back there for a while and I find it funny that fake video game bears can terrify me.

For about 15 minutes, bears kept on coming out of the bushes to meet my shotgun and rifle. It went kill bear > skin it > look behind me to see another bear > kill bear > skin it > look behind me to see another bear....

I finally had to leave when I ran out of ammo.

Net_Wrecker said:

Yeah, I didn't find GTA that challenging to be honest! I know a lot of people had issues with missing mid mission checkpoints, but i didn't die much at all - I just memorised the locations of some of he body armour so that if I felt it was necessary i could top up - either that or I'd make a trip to the gun shop, neither was ever too far away - The auto aim and cover system meant I rarely got into trouble anyway and there would be very little tension if you were wanted by the cops with regenerating health - Some of the most fun i've had in GTA is running from the cops on 4/5/6 stars with only a shard of health, the feeling of elation when you escaped from them and the risk of swapping cars/going on foot added a challenge that I found at times was otherwise lacking in the game.

Revolutionary said:
Man, I used to play GTA that had LIVES. That's right, LIVES. Run out of lives and it's game over.

It's like every game needs regenerating health these days because gamers aren't up to the task of just surviving anymore.

Aren't up to the task of surviving anymore? What the hell? I just don't want to have to deal with CONSTANTLY buying bullet proof vests or finding something to eat. Do you realize how much that would disrupt the experience in Red Dead Redemption? Having to do that in GTAIV wasn't fun, and didn't make the game more challenging. Having to restock on health, and vests after every mission was annoying.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Net_Wrecker said:
Having to do that in GTAIV wasn't fun, and didn't make the game more challenging. Having to restock on health, and vests after every mission was annoying.

well it does make it less challenging when all you have to do is hide for a moment to get full health. But I still prefer this to how it had been done recently.

OriginalThinking said:
Yeah, I didn't find GTA that challenging to be honest! I know a lot of people had issues with missing mid mission checkpoints, but i didn't die much at all - I just memorised the locations of some of he body armour so that if I felt it was necessary i could top up - either that or I'd make a trip to the gun shop, neither was ever too far away - The auto aim and cover system meant I rarely got into trouble anyway and there would be very little tension if you were wanted by the cops with regenerating health - Some of the most fun i've had in GTA is running from the cops on 4/5/6 stars with only a shard of health, the feeling of elation when you escaped from them and the risk of swapping cars/going on foot added a challenge that I found at times was otherwise lacking in the game.

Well, that may have been fun for you, but coming from someone that loved GTAIV, that's bad gameplay design, and has been since GTA3. Ever died with that "shard of health" because the Euphoria physics decided you were going to fly out of the car windshield? Or because you fall from a 5 foot ledge? Or even because a taxi hits you in the street? It's frustrating to die because you were going to find health for the 347th time instead of the damn thing just regenerating, and letting you continue to have fun.

Don't even get me started on the bad combat in close quarters in GTAIV. It was so easy to lose your whole shield, and half of your life when the autoaim or cover system decided to wig out. Combine that with no regeneration, no checkpoints, and not even giving you your vest back after you die, and it's an exercise in frustration at some points. Red Dead Redemption is infinitely better at all things combat, and health related.

Meier

I feel sort of disappointed. Everyone else jizzed over the music when entering Mexico and I barely even noticed it since I was focused on the dialogue and being shot at. :(

Net_Wrecker said:
Aren't up to the task of surviving anymore? What the hell? I just don't want to have to deal with CONSTANTLY buying bullet proof vests or finding something to eat. Do you realize how much that would disrupt the experience in Red Dead Redemption? Having to do that in GTAIV wasn't fun, and didn't make the game more challenging. Having to restock on health, and vests after every mission was annoying.
1. How would that disrupt the experience of RDR, when at ANY GIVEN MOMENT, you can press Select to bring up your inventory and consume an item? Why couldn't we have some bandages or something to regenerate health? We already have Dead Eye items, Horse pills, etc. etc.
2. How the FUCK is it not more challenging to keep an eye on your health and well-being in order to survive? :lol
It's significantly easier to just duck behind a rock for a few seconds once you get back to full health, which is why I dislike it. It's a mechanic catered to the COD4 crowd.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still loving the game but with all the other realistic touches to the game and game world, regenerating health is really out of place.

Ploid 3.0

Having regenerating health is great for adding more fun to sandbox games. They could have went the Resistance 1, or JC2 way of having segments in the health bar. If your health drop below it you have to eat something or find aid. That would be the best of both worlds, adding to the danger, preventing you from recovering in a fight by staying behind cover. I like that it's fully recoverable though, I like my sandbox games stress free. By the sound of the impressions you are no invincible dude. People seem to die quick by wild animals.

Revolutionary said:
1. How would that disrupt the experience of RDR, when at ANY GIVEN MOMENT, you can press Select to bring up your inventory and consume an item? Why couldn't we have some bandages or something to regenerate health? We already have Dead Eye items, Horse pills, etc. etc.
2. How the FUCK is it not more challenging to keep an eye on your health and well-being in order to survive? :lol
It's significantly easier to just duck behind a rock for a few seconds once you get back to full health, which is why I dislike it. It's a mechanic catered to the COD4 crowd.

Ooh there's an inventory? This game keeps sounding better and better. Yeah it could be better without regenerating health. Stock up on meds and food, that would make for a better game, and if possible add to economy if you could craft the food. Can you fish? lol

Net_Wrecker said:
Well, that may have been fun for you, but coming from someone that loved GTAIV, that's bad gameplay design, and has been since GTA3. Ever died with that "shard of health" because the Euphoria physics decided you were going to fly out of the car windshield? Or because you fall from a 5 foot ledge? Or even because a taxi hits you in the street? It's frustrating to die because you were going to find health for the 347th time instead of the damn thing just regenerating, and letting you continue to have fun.

Don't even get me started on the bad combat in close quarters in GTAIV. It was so easy to lose your whole shield, and half of your life when the autoaim or cover system decided to wig out. Combine that with no regeneration, no checkpoints, and not even giving you your vest back after you die, and it's an exercise in frustration at some points. Red Dead Redemption is infinitely better at all things combat, and health related.

I'll agree with you on the close quarters stuff, but most of the time the cover and the autoaim behaved itself. If there were more mid mission checkpoints and you actually regenerated back to the state you actually came into the mission at - ie full health and body armour i don't think it would've been such an issue - Besides with Red Dead you constantly have a satchel with you with which you could use items from to restore health if necessary - put a limit on how much stuff you can carry at one time and you add an element of tactical nous to the gameplay. Clearly we ain't going to agree on this one, i guess it's just down to personal preference

P.S I thought GTA 4 was awesome too, never did understand the backlash.

Meier said:
I feel sort of disappointed. Everyone else jizzed over the music when entering Mexico and I barely even noticed it since I was focused on the dialogue and being shot at. :(

When the song Far Away plays you've already killed all of the angry Mexicans. It starts playing when you get on your horse and go up the hill, but stops if you get off of your horse. I doubt you heard the same music everyone is 'jizzing' over, because it really is skeet-worthy.

Seep

Game is completely awesome, just some things that bother me, what's the point in robbing trains? there's nothing you can do with them kill the driver and it stops, and where's the loot?
Also I was under the impression you could enter ALL the buildings and steal shit, sadly this is untrue.

Meier

sw33tclyde said:
When the song Far Away plays you've already killed all of the angry Mexicans. It starts playing when you get on your horse and go up the hill, but stops if you get off of your horse. I doubt you heard the same music everyone is 'jizzing' over, because it really is skeet-worthy.
Interesting, I don't even remember any music kicking in there for me... I guess I'll have to look on Youtube and see what I missed.

NG28

Revolutionary said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm still loving the game but with all the other realistic touches to the game and game world, regenerating health is really out of place.
In the end it would work just the same as regenerating health. There are so many animals around you could stock up on a ton of food in no time at all. The only difference is after getting shot, you enter your menu and heal instead of just waiting for it to happen automatically.

Revolutionary said:

1. Dawgz, THAT'S ANNOYING. I guarantee it would piss a high number of people off, and would be mentioned in all reviews if we had to constantly go into the satchel to refill our health bars. How can you possibly think that's a good gameplay choice? And personally, in almost 20 hours of game time, I have never used the Horse pills, Tobacco, apples, Moonshine, etc. except for testing out what they did. NONE of that is as important as something like bandages for non regenerating health, and doesn't come close to the amount of times we would use the latter.

2. And what I meant was, it's not a GOOD way of providing more challenge like improved AI for example. It's just a way for people to die more often because you weren't able to watch your health in a heated situation, or you fall down a 5 foot cliff looking for your horse, or get SWARMED by a gang during bounty hunting missions, or you inevitably run out of health items during a long multi tiered mission.

Denzar

There are 3 stages of Dead Eye, right?

If so, I'm at the second stage, but I liked the first one better...

So, just the slow mo, and not the painting of targets... Is there a way to just have the slow mo?

I guess there isn't...

Just reached Mexico btw.

blanky

NG28 said:
In the end it would work just the same as regenerating health. There are so many animals around you could stock up on a ton of food in no time at all. The only difference is after getting shot, you enter your menu and heal instead of just waiting for it to happen automatically.

exactly, making recovery manual just makes it auto-regen but with added tediousness. The current system can force tension by making the regen slower when under fire so you really need good cover and good shots to keep you alive. Regeneration really can still be part of a hard difficulty i think.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Deepack said:

So, just the slow mo, and not the painting of targets... Is there a way to just have the slow mo?

I guess there isn't...

Just reached Mexico btw.

You're about to unlock the 3rd stage, which is basically a combo of both. Good stuff.

NG28

Deepack said:

I guess there isn't...

Just reached Mexico btw.
If you link with the social club you can get cheats that let you revert to whichever dead eye you want.

GullyJuice said:
The one with West Dickens.

Dear God. I thought rubber band logic was done away with 10 years ago. Only Rockstar.

Really? I got that first go. I was having trouble with it, until half way through I realised I had tons of apples and horse pills that give you infinite stamina for about 30 seconds each time you use one. After that I got into a lead and won easily. I remember being imprssed the AI didn't pull a mario kart once I got in the lead.

Denzar

NG28 said:
If you link with the social club you can get cheats that let you revert to whichever dead eye you want.
Been linked since GTA IV.

Thanks for the tips NG28 and Snuggler. I'll see how that third stage of Dead Eye works for me.

Ferrio

Banned
NG28 said:

Ya cause that was so fun to do in MGS3.....

JordoftheDead said:
Really? I got that first go. I was having trouble with it, until half way through I realised I had tons of apples and horse pills that give you infinite stamina for about 30 seconds each time you use one. After that I got into a lead and won easily. I remember being imprssed the AI didn't pull a mario kart once I got in the lead.

Yeah I found the races dead easy! As long as you get in the lead early it ain't a problem. As long as your horse has decent stamina you should be fine. I haven't used apples or pills and I won both on my first attempt.

Top Bottom