• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

I think it sounds great in theory to have health regened by herbs or something, and to force more survival details on you, but in practice? If anything, GTA4 showed that when you compel the player to do things you think are "fun" you can end up pissing most of them off.

I mean seriously, GTA4 got me to look at "friends" as a job, and a cellphone as something expressly built to annoy me at all times.

BUT, all that said, I'd love a DLC "Frontiersman" challenge mode. Say, make your way from spot A to spot B. No regenerating health. You need to hunt for food, find water sources to drink from, camp to regain endurance. You get a pistol with limited ammo and your knife. Can you survive the trek?

All optional of course. One of the beautiful design decisions in Red Dead was to make these things optional, expect for those looking for achievements or outfits. Well done, and much better than the alternative in thinking that one man's fun (the designer) is the same for everybody else.

Rikyfree

NullPointer said:
I think it sounds great in theory to have health regened by herbs or something, and to force more survival details on you, but in practice? If anything, GTA4 showed that when you compel the player to do things you think are "fun" you can end up pissing most of them off.

I mean seriously, GTA4 got me to look at "friends" as a job, and a cellphone as something expressly built to annoy me at all times.

BUT, all that said, I'd love a DLC "Frontiersman" challenge mode. Say, make your way from spot A to spot B. No regenerating health. You need to hunt for food, find water sources to drink from, camp to regain endurance. You get a pistol with limited ammo and your knife. Can you survive the trek?

All optional of course. One of the beautiful design decisions in Red Dead was to make these things optional, expect for those looking for achievements or outfits. Well done, and much better than the alternative in thinking that one man's fun (the designer) is the same for everybody else.
That would be cool.

Sorry, but when the biggest faults you can find with a game are that you're not dying enough/you're not being forced to go out of your way to obtain health restoration items, and you don't have to pause the game every time you want to use them, something is SERIOUSLY wrong with your critique.

If you want challenge at the cost of seamless and accessible gameplay, go and play something else. GTA4, perhaps. And while you're repeating a mission for the third time because you had some bad luck which is near-impossible to recover from, I'll have played three consecutive missions in RDR, having much more fun in the process.

Timber

what is up with the Reyes' Rebels scrap you can buy at Escalera? it's the last one i need to complete the outfit and i tried to buy it several times, but it keeps saying it's unavailable. do i need to complete more missions or something or is it kaputt?

NullPointer said:

The Friends thing in GTA was the worst thing about the game, health though wasn't imo an issue - There were hot dog vendors, fast food joints and body armour sprinkled liberally around the map so you were never that far from recovering - Plus in red dead you have a satchel anyway, say with which you could store 2 items of food at once. You could also still recover from sleep (and given you can set up a campsite anywhere) you would still have that option if necessary). I just think that aside from the hunting challenges the eco system doesn't play as much a part as it should. Love your hardcore DLC idea though!

JambiBum

So for those wondering about the secret achievements/trophies that aren't the story issued ones, they are pretty simple to get except one.

Kill all of the buffalo in the Great Plains. This will make them extinct. There are 20 total. They don't respawn either.

Escape the US Marshals while riding the Hungarian Half breed. This one is actually a lot simpler than I thought it would be. Marshals will attack you when your bounty is at least 800 and you are in the wild. They will attack you when you're in a city too but not as often. All you have to do for this is be on your horse and kill or run away from the Marshals. Make sure you are heading south though.

Hardest one by far. Complete 20 combat centric story missions while using the same horse. Speaks for itself. Only one I don't have.

Has anyone ever come across "stranded" folk that didn't end with them trying to steal your horse? Three times this happened, and by the fourth and fifth encounters I just flat-out blasted them with my shotgun.

Does the
Love is the Opiate
stranger request line start up again later after you
give the $1000 payment for the opium to the old guy? I gave him the money, but followed him outside, put my bandana on, and shot him so I could loot him to get the $1000 back. However, since the Reyes' Rebel outfit requires you to complete that line of challenges, I'm worried I might have prevented that line from going any further.

Gooster said:
Has anyone ever come across "stranded" folk that didn't end with them trying to steal your horse? Three times this happened, and by the fourth and fifth encounters I just flat-out blasted them with my shotgun.

Yeah, I was wondering that too. I've had it happen to me three of four times now, so I'm pretty sure there aren't any people who genuinely do just want a ride.

JambiBum

Ben2749 said:
Does the
Love is the Opiate
stranger request line start up again later after you
give the $1000 payment for the opium to the old guy? I gave him the money, but followed him outside, put my bandana on, and shot him so I could loot him to get the $1000 back. However, since the Reyes' Rebel outfit requires you to complete that line of challenges, I'm worried I might have prevented that line from going any further.

Yes and no. It starts when
You go back to the Diaz? guy who gives you the opium. He owns some asian slave. The quest is based off of him. The old guy you give it to has nothing to do with the Love is quest.

blanky

Timber said:
what is up with the Reyes' Rebels scrap you can buy at Escalera? it's the last one i need to complete the outfit and i tried to buy it several times, but it keeps saying it's unavailable. do i need to complete more missions or something or is it kaputt?

Some scraps, like this one and another outfit wont become available after a certain mission. This scrap will become available when it's most logical, after a certain mission.

NG28

butts said:
Your first horse ride in Mexico should have been accompanied by this song playing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IkvAb6THQY

If it didn't I feel sorry for you, it was one of the best moments I have experienced in a game in a long time and it was entirely because of the atmosphere that the new environment + this song created.
I enjoyed it for about 10 seconds before I fell off cliff into the water:lol

:(

butts said:
Your first horse ride in Mexico should have been accompanied by this song playing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IkvAb6THQY

If it didn't I feel sorry for you, it was one of the best moments I have experienced in a game in a long time and it was entirely because of the atmosphere that the new environment + this song created.

I was really pissed off, because it started up, but I went to loot the bodies of the last two guys who jump out right before you get off the raft, and the music stopped. It didn't play again. I reloaded my save file and played through the really long raft mission two more damn times, but nothing.

Aesius

Ah sweet. I captured a faceless bounty (no name on the poster) and apparently it counted as Mo van Barr! Now I can get the Deadly Assassin outfit.

Ben2749 said:
I was really pissed off, because it started up, but I went to loot the bodies of the last two guys who jump out right before you get off the raft, and the music stopped. It didn't play again. I reloaded my save file and played through the really long raft mission two more damn times, but nothing.

I know, I hopped off my horse to pick a flower and it stopped, I was so pissed. I tried to play it through my music library but my gd 360 isn't seeing a few songs in the RDROST folder for some unknown reason, and Far Away happens to be one of them.

Pimpbaa

SuperSonic1305 said:
Ugh I just spent 2 hours exploring and hunting only to get caught in a random event with 4 guys that shot me to death in seconds and I lost everything.

This game really needs an autosave every 15 minutes or so.

butts said:

I agree, one of the most sublime moments I've experienced in a game... not sure if it's scripted, but the sun was on the horizon as I was riding into Mexico and hearing that tune. I hope more of those moments are tucked away in the game.

Timber

blanky said:
Some scraps, like this one and another outfit wont become available after a certain mission. This scrap will become available when it's most logical, after a certain mission.
ah great. i'm
doing missions for Reyes
now so i guess i need to finish those. thankee

so i've been playing 2 - 3 hours every night since release.. been doing a lot of the side crap like collecting the flowers, side missions, etc. campaign wise, im where you go with bonnie to
round up the cattle's in the storm
. Also did a few missions for the marshal. So how far am i in?

also pretty cool thing i did. last night i lassoed some dude and dragged him to a cliff. tried to hang him but he wouldnt die. so i just let go of the lasso and watched him fall to his death. was pretty awesome!

Esperado

So after finishing this game I'm feeling the same that I did after GTA4. It's not a bad game by any means. I mean, I put in enough hours to finish it, but it's not one of my favorite games. It has really high points, and during those points it's probably as good or better than the moments I've had with any other game, but I kind of feel like as a whole the experience wasn't exactly fantastic. For one I'm getting really tired of the style of Rockstar's open world games. Going to each guy and picking up missions that almost all devolve into shooting a bunch of guys over and over again until the game is complete isn't something I particularly enjoy. Gunplay came down to using a bunch of similar weapons and deciding that hey, these guys are this far away so I'll shoot them with this gun, but in the end there wasn't much of a difference to how I approached each situation.

There was a lot more variety than in GTA4, but I really didn't have much fun with it. I thought the minigames were sluggish, taming horses was a chore, and side missions and random encounters were really more of the same. The worst part of the game for me was when
you were doing all the handiwork around the farm with your son and the uncle.
The game at that point turned into a chore.

The only thing that keeps the game together for me is the world that it takes place in. One of my favorite moments was
after you kill Dutch and you're riding home with the music playing in the background.
I actually stopped my horse and just panned the camera around the landscape, slowly taking in all the scenery of the game world. I don't hate the game, and I'm glad I spent the time to play it. I just feel like in the end there's something missing.

While I'm dreaming of new content, modes, DLC etc:

+ new Treasure maps. Just keep em coming. Don't give me a point where I have to stop exploring this amazing world.
+ New Challenge rankings, 10-20.
+ Hardcore modes. Frontiersman survival challenges.
+ Co-op bounties, and co-op cards/mini-games.
+ Co-op/adversarial Train Assault/Defend. Assault a moving train, take it over, and then defend it from attackers until you reach the station.
+ Difficulty modes, and/or no-deadeye modes for hunting and gang hideouts.
+ Fucking cougar repellant.

OK, that last one is mostly a joke. Mostly.

Either way, this game has so much damn DLC potential its staggering. And Rockstar could spend a little less time making ambient gameplay DLC packs, while using that cash to subsidize development of larger DLC story and co-op mission packs. Everybody wins :)

macfoshizzle said:
so i've been playing 2 - 3 hours every night since release.. been doing a lot of the side crap like collecting the flowers, side missions, etc. campaign wise, im where you go with bonnie to
round up the cattle's in the storm
. Also did a few missions for the marshal. So how far am i in?

also pretty cool thing i did. last night i lassoed some dude and dragged him to a cliff. tried to hang him but he wouldnt die. so i just let go of the lasso and watched him fall to his death. was pretty awesome!

you are very early in the campaign, what I would consider still being in the intro missions

So I bought a bandana and put it on my face because I thought it looked cool.

10 hours later and I finally figure out why I'm not getting Fame or Honor :(

Gooster said:

Yeah. I came across one that
thanked me for saving his mother's life, then gave me some cash
. So I shot that bastard right in the face. That'll teach'em for being so
nice
to strangers in the wild west!

oktarb

NullPointer said:

+ new Treasure maps. Just keep em coming. Don't give me a point where I have to stop exploring this amazing world.
+ Co-op/adversarial Train Assault/Defend. Assault a moving train, take it over, and then defend it from attackers until you reach the station.

Either way, this game has so much damn DLC potential its staggering. And Rockstar could spend a little less time making ambient gameplay DLC packs, while using that cash to subsidize development of larger DLC story and co-op mission packs. Everybody wins :)

Dear Rockstar,

Here's how to take my money. Take is a strong word because I want to give it to you, I really do. Go DLC crazy.

alex1893

butts said:

yeah, that was awesome. One of the moments where I just kept moving slowly as possible and watching the scenery instead of just galloping at full speed.

One of the annoying aspects of the game is when you have a holdup ahead of you in where by this group of bandits are about to execute someone and you want to try and help them, but the grass is so tall, it is really difficult to tell them apart especially at night. More so than often I've failed in keeping the victim alive.

JMizzlin

I'm trying to get the achievement for max fame/honor, however I'm struggling to get my fame up =/

Any tips for fast fame techniques?

The Lamonster said:
So I bought a bandana and put it on my face because I thought it looked cool.

10 hours later and I finally figure out why I'm not getting Fame or Honor :(

i always pull it on when i need to destroy an entire saloon :D

Mexico boredom finally got me too. I hope the game picks up again at some point.

And mp is totally worthless if not playing with a bunch of friends, right?

WinFonda

Beat the game today. Really enjoyed the story, world, and characters. Good effort by Rockstar. I don't see myself playing it again though--the shooting isn't that compelling.

Does anyone know the name of the credits song that plays after the vocal track? It's similar to Exodus in America but it's that same piano throughout.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Some of critiques of this game in this thread make me question things.. such as why are people getting so serious about a game? Have fun and enjoy it, no need to pile on needless wishes to make the experience more "realistic" because I don't think it was ever aiming to do that.

speedpop said:
Some of critiques of this game in this thread make me question things.. such as why are people getting so serious about a game? Have fun and enjoy it, no need to pile on needless wishes to make the experience more "realistic" because I don't think it was ever aiming to do that.
To be fair, Pac-Man is a game. Stuff on the order of a Fallout 3 or Red Dead are something else.

Still games yes, but you look for different things in these kinds of games. Hell, "game" seems like too small a word to me.

And its a forum. Its all fair game for discussion.

Beq

Neo Member
SuperSonic1305 said:
Ugh I just spent 2 hours exploring and hunting only to get caught in a random event with 4 guys that shot me to death in seconds and I lost everything.

hold on.. if you die without saving you lose everything since the last save?

Guevara

NullPointer said:

Exactly. I wish they would copy many of the RDR ideas over into the next GTA, but I bet they won't. R* San Diego nailed 'fun'.

I've reached a point in the game and I'm faced with a choice:

I can choose to kill De Santa myself or walk away and let the rebels take care of him.
What difference does it make which I pick? I don't want to kick myself later. Or does it really make no difference at all?

Dizzle24

NullPointer said:

Give this man a job Rockstar!

Ben2749 said:
I've reached a point in the game and I'm faced with a choice:

I can choose to kill De Santa myself or walk away and let the rebels take care of him.
What difference does it make which I pick? I don't want to kick myself later. Or does it really make no difference at all?
It makes no difference but I put a bullet in his head for trying to get me killed:lol
Also, about your question about Luisa.
Landon tells you she's a part of the rebeldes and should talk to her for information.

Yeef

The follow-mechanic works so well in single-player I'm pretty disappointed that it doesn't work in multiplayer. The couple of multiplayer sessions I did do had the whole posse spread out throughout the whole world because we kept getting separated.

The games should work online too. Huge missed opportunity there. It also disheartens me that there's no lasso in multiplayer.

JambiBum said:
Escape the US Marshals while riding the Hungarian Half breed. This one is actually a lot simpler than I thought it would be. Marshals will attack you when your bounty is at least 800 and you are in the wild. They will attack you when you're in a city too but not as often. All you have to do for this is be on your horse and kill or run away from the Marshals. Make sure you are heading south though.

Hardest one by far. Complete 20 combat centric story missions while using the same horse. Speaks for itself. Only one I don't have.
I looked them up last night. The White Bronco one is hilarious. The 20 missions one shouldn't be too difficult assuming that replaying missions from the menu counts. I've used the same horse all throughout the game (The Stallion from the horse-breaking tutorial) up until I hit the third area.

Mr. Sam

Twice now I've died in the middle of an intense gun battle because I've slid into cover, randomly bounced twenty feet in the air and landed on my face. It's irritating to say the least.

Wiggum2007

Mr. Sam said:
Twice now I've died in the middle of an intense gun battle because I've slid into cover, randomly bounced twenty feet in the air and landed on my face. It's irritating to say the least.

I had this happen except instead of twenty feet it was more like five hundred feet, and I failed the mission for getting too far away from my companion. :lol

How the heck do you teleport to the Posse Leader, or you as the leader, invite your posse to teleport to you? Sometimes I can teleport to my leader but mostly that option doesn't pop up.

Top Bottom