• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Mr. Sam said:
Twice now I've died in the middle of an intense gun battle because I've slid into cover, randomly bounced twenty feet in the air and landed on my face. It's irritating to say the least.

That sounds awesome.

DarkKyo

butts said:
Your first horse ride in Mexico should have been accompanied by this song playing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IkvAb6THQY

If it didn't I feel sorry for you, it was one of the best moments I have experienced in a game in a long time and it was entirely because of the atmosphere that the new environment + this song created.
I felt the same way. Probably one of the coolest things I have ever experienced in gaming.

My friend switched horses at the start of it and the song stopped right away :(

leng jai

ExtraKr1spy said:
wanted to share my settings I posted in the other thread

Only real problem I've had is sometimes its too dark in nighttime indoor scenes but adjusting the brightness up a bit helps.

I have the same issue on my setup. On one particular Seth mission, it was literally pitch black.

Redd

Eye Drop said:
I'm trying to get the achievement for max fame/honor, however I'm struggling to get my fame up =/

Any tips for fast fame techniques?

I'd like to know this as well. My Honor is maxed but the Fame is giving me a hard time. -_-

Meus Renaissance said:
How the heck do you teleport to the Posse Leader, or you as the leader, invite your posse to teleport to you? Sometimes I can teleport to my leader but mostly that option doesn't pop up.

I think it only gives you the option when you initially join the posse. I suppose you could either leave/rejoin the posse to teleport, or set a waypoint on your map and travel to it via a Transport pole(the wagon wheel icon on your map).

sw33tclyde said:
I think it only gives you the option when you initially join the posse. I suppose you could either leave/rejoin the posse to teleport, or set a waypoint on your map and travel to it via a Transport pole(the wagon wheel icon on your map).
Yep. That's how it works.

When me and Chaos played we just disbanded the posse and recreated it to re-enable the option.

Sucks when you're stuck on a mule while your buddy is rocking a super-steed.

TheFatOne said:
Is it possible to win a damn game of poker. I have been in a stalemate with the last guy in the table for half an hour now.

I just won close to 3000 chips in poker at the Blackwater saloon table. :D

Mojojo

Finished the game, and chiming in to say how fantastic it was.
The ending was brilliant
I actually liked the whole 'bonding with family',' working at the ranch' last missions. When it began, i knew it meant something bad was gonna happen, but I expected something like the son and wife getting killed, and John going on a rampage. Rockstar's ending was far better :lol

Minor gripes : with so much freedom in the game world, I wish it could be the same with the story, with more branching paths and endings ; when some choices were offered , it didn't impact much the storyline.

Some random favorites : first time the weather changed to a storm, the rebel outfit,
dynamite throwing :D !, Torquemada assault, Elk hunting in Tall Trees and the rafting event on Rio Bravo with Irish

bunbun777

Redd said:
I'd like to know this as well. My Honor is maxed but the Fame is giving me a hard time. -_-

One thing that helped me get fame more quickly was when i realized that i could shoot the gun out of the hand of anyone wanting to duel me, without killing them. That's +100 fame.

-edit: and about the poker-- try the Doyle B. school- B E Agressive. Just act like you have a hand 90% of the time-- oh and if they check to you that is usually a sure sign of weakness. My biggest pot was over 7500 chips. If you have a hand-- bet 50% of what is in the pot. Small pockets before the flop? Go all in or half your stack at least. Get raised on the river? Probably should fold.

jergrah

TheFatOne said:
Is it possible to win a damn game of poker. I have been in a stalemate with the last guy in the table for half an hour now.

Dont play every hand -- when you have a good hand, bet small to start, get at least one to stay in, then up the ante and see if he'll call. But if you dont have a good hand - just fold right away and jump to the next deal.

Reknoc

Urgh was trying to do a Master Hunter II Challenge in public freeroam when I ran into an asshole posse, all named *something* *animal* so they were either furries or metal gear solid bosses, who kept attacking me when all I wanted to do was hunt some boars. Eventually I ended up being spawned the otherside of the border and we were taking shots at each other across the river.

Animal

Banned
butts said:
Your first horse ride in Mexico should have been accompanied by this song playing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IkvAb6THQY

If it didn't I feel sorry for you, it was one of the best moments I have experienced in a game in a long time and it was entirely because of the atmosphere that the new environment + this song created.

Never happened for me. I showed up in Mexico in the early hours of the morning right before sunrise.

So fucking pissed because I completely agree with you.

Dechaios said:
I felt the same way. Probably one of the coolest things I have ever experienced in gaming.

My friend switched horses at the start of it and the song stopped right away :(

fuuuuuuuuu

I did just that. And looted the bodies and stopped after a few yards to pick-up some shit (ooh flowers). Didn't hear a single note of the song. Shit.

Ploid 3.0 said:
I'm not sure if enough time has passed yet, trying to talk myself out of buying RDR. I loved the PS2 GTA's, hated the lack of freedom and things to do in GTA4 (freedom to do stuff without a undercover cop spotting you for example, no good fun codes, and each time you enter a code you have to do so via phone), LOVE Saints Row 2, Just Cause 2 is amazing.

So should I get it? Is it the real deal, return to awesome from rockstar?

Edit: Also I'm more of a "I do missions to unlock the map so I can have the real fun" type of person. SR2, and JC2 were kind enough to give the meat at the start of the game. In short, I don't really care about doing story missions. I just want to have plenty to get distracted with and fun stuff to do that won't get old. Wonder how this will be possible without planes, awesome weapons, and wacky codes. Going to see if there are any codes now actually.

To be honest JC2 kind of got to me by having everything open. I didn't feel any sense of accomplishment when I finally got a mission that let take a helicopter because I had already flown countless ones that were more powerful. Same with planes, fast cars, etc ...

I know it's just different playstyles for different people and I AM NOT discounting JC2 at all, love the game and plan to go back to it but everything you do in RDR just feels more like an interaction with the world than just a sandbox where you know that car will respawn.

I think you would enjoy it, the map is huge and as long as you don't just fast travel from location to location the randomness of things you encounter is great. But it is really mission driven ... you CAN screw around for hours but you don't really accomplish much unless you are purposely trying to do something.

I also completely disagree with the R* not able to write a story. I think the story is great for a videogame, I can only name a couple off the top of my head where the story AND gameplay were up to par with RDR (mainly being ME2, U2, and AC2 that I'm thinking of). Does it have its cliches? Of course, it's a Western.

EDIT: And that song playing with you first arrive in Mexico was surreal. Felt like I was playing a perfectly executed cutscene or something.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Mojojo said:
Finished the game, and chiming in to say how fantastic it was.
The ending was brilliant
I actually liked the whole 'bonding with family',' working at the ranch' last missions. When it began, i knew it meant something bad was gonna happen, but I expected something like the son and wife getting killed, and John going on a rampage. Rockstar's ending was far better :lol

Minor gripes : with so much freedom in the game world, I wish it could be the same with the story, with more branching paths and endings ; when some choices were offered , it didn't impact much the storyline.

Some random favorites : first time the weather changed to a storm, the rebel outfit,
dynamite throwing :D !, Torquemada assault, Elk hunting in Tall Trees and the rafting event on Rio Bravo with Irish

Did you see credits? If you didn't you didn't beat it yet.

Grayman

I liked the whole epilogue of the game but would have preferred if
John died in a more mundane way

There must still be more to do because I have not seen the credits yet. Going to ride around after dinner and see whats up.

About regenerating health, Always getting armor or filling up your health in GTA really sucks. Regenerating health sucks in its own ways too. Not running off to get armor and health because you got hit by a taxi is a great thing. It could also be accomplished by having health fill back up really slowly and not having vests.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
lawblob said:
Just had my first mountain lion encounter. He came out of nowhere, and bam, down goes my horse!

If you had been riding a mule then: :lol
Mule+Vs+Mountain+Lion+1.jpg

Aspiring

Just started playing the game. I just want to say WOW, this game is sexy. Graphics are awesome. Also, i dig the gameplay, seems very GTA but "different". Played a little online however and was underwhelmed. It was so empty. Like, nothing. Cant wait to play more, but have to go to work.

GQman2121

Banned
I've been playing online the last three nights and I honestly don't know if I even care to jump back into the single player anytime soon. Everyone I've been playing with keeps saying that it's amazing--I'm just having too much fun online to bother.

lawblob said:
Just had my first mountain lion encounter. He came out of nowhere, and bam, down goes my horse!

Mountain lion? Or Cougar? Not that I actually know the difference, but still......

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Hmm 98.9% complete, all missions and strangers done, I wonder what else there is to do. I kind of want re-up my gold account to play online but Im not sure I have the time.

Marvie_3

Banned
Bobbyrawlins said:
Just finished the "Flowers For A Lady" Stranger quest and.........:lol :lol
Yeah, this one was funny. After I
met his wife, I was walking around his house and accidentally nudged her with my character. I couldn't stop laughing when her head fell off.

dejay

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
This game really needs an autosave every 15 minutes or so.

I kinda like the saves the way they are. With the health regeneration there's little to fear except for the loss of stuff you've accumulated after a save point. With the way it is you don't tend to go to the effort to save that often, which makes you be more careful in general play.

Of course if you forget you're screwed. Several times I've lost over an hours work because of cougars, which is why they're the only thing I generally use deadeye on, because they fuck my shit up.

dejay

Banned
DualShadow said:
I cant seem to find the damn flowers :(

They take a while to find in the areas you're meant to look. You can use
a map bought from Armadillo which supposedly lets you see on the map where the herbs are. I haven't used it but it suposedly lasts for 20 minutes, which should be enough to find what you're after.

dejay said:
I kinda like the saves the way they are. With the health regeneration there's little to fear except for the loss of stuff you've accumulated after a save point. With the way it is you don't tend to go to the effort to save that often, which makes you be more careful in general play.

Of course if you forget you're screwed. Several times I've lost over an hours work because of cougars, which is why they're the only thing I generally use deadeye on, because they fuck my shit up.

You know you can save your progress whenever you want by switching horse deeds.

TheFatOne said:

I've had this problem with the poker games I've been in where only one guy (that ain't me) gets all the good hands and makes bluffing and what have you all the more pointless.

I played a game of horseshoes to get an outfit and I've discovered I hate horseshoes, at least how it's played in this game. I'm actually surprised I got the achievement for getting a ringer.

dejay

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
You know you can save your progress whenever you want by switching horse deeds.

I haven't got any yet. I waste too much time fluffing around rather than collecting cash and advancing the story :D I've been playing for over ten hours and the most I've had is $1100, of which I spent a lot on clothing scraps and the like.

DukeSucks

Finally found a good use for dead eye 2. I was riding along and five guys blew by me, shooting in the air and dragging someone behind. I turned on dead eye, swept across all their backs, and killed them all. Obviously very easy, but pretty cool and satisfying.

NG28

kai3345 said:
Just dropping in to say after today, Armadillo is without a doubt my favorite multiplayer area
I ran into a horrible glitch in Armadillo the other day where it just kept spawning me in the same exact spot. Someone realized and just camped my spawn the entire time. It was terrible.

dejay said:
They take a while to find in the areas you're meant to look. You can use
a map bought from Armadillo which supposedly lets you see on the map where the herbs are. I haven't used it but it suposedly lasts for 20 minutes, which should be enough to find what you're after.

Thanks. Might need to try that if i cant find them again.

Also is there any point in which you can't complete a stranger quest? Can i start it now and complete it in, say, 5 hours when i've done lots of main missions?

Bobbyrawlins said:
Just finished the "Flowers For A Lady" Stranger quest and.........:lol :lol
Is it just me or does almost every mission have some kind of zany but predictable ending? I saw this one coming a mile away, same with the "Who Are You to Judge" mission.

Neuromancer said:
Is it just me or does almost every mission have some kind of zany but predictable ending? I saw this one coming a mile away, same with the "Who Are You to Judge" mission.

To be fair a lot fo times the mission names give away the nature of it. "Who Are You To Judge" being a prime example, you know you're gonna be bringing back something that
isn't a human female
just based on the name.

Top Bottom