• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Stitch

Gold Member
i was kneeling down to pick up a flower when a Puma jumped RIGHT INTO MY FACE :lol

just knocked me down though. shot him in the face with my shotgun. another one killed a horse that i've just rescued from a horsethief. knocked me down 3 times that son of a bitch.

Neuromancer said:
Is it just me or does almost every mission have some kind of zany but predictable ending? I saw this one coming a mile away, same with the "Who Are You to Judge" mission.

I thought the "I know you" stranger missions might be the one would of been predictable but would of been solid in regards to the choices you made; him revealing himself to be the father of a girl you killed in your gang days resulting in a duel if you were bad and you refusing to participate, giving him the chance to kill you if you were good.

Instead it result in "I'm God lolz!" no matter what decisions you made

Every piece of narrative in the game was stupid or simply a complete joke, especially the ending
Oh, we'll just ride out of the back where nobody's positioned, you go out front and die pa! Don't even try and fight them and win like you obviously could by using dead-eye and cover, I mean you just beat 20 men on horseback when we were rustling cows but don't be dumb and just go get yourself killed like Sundance & Butch for drama!

It was a good game, it had a more interesting (even though it was simpler than the GTA series) setting and better mechanics than GTA4, the narrative was sloppy but entertaining like GTA4, and the things you could do felt more limited and less rewarding than the activities in San Andreas.

However I can't help but think it would of been better if they went and made an in-depth farming mechanic as it's post game that you could enjoy with your loving family. Hell, Rufus and Jake would of made hunting an actually fun mechanic rather than the fucking retarded spend 30 minutes looking for animal x and put a few bullets in it mess it was. Open up some randomised events with uncle (if you couldn't just remove him from the story) and Abigail. Allow the farm to grow and have specific missions open up as it improves. You'd be left with a post-game that was entertaining, provided some sense of deepening narrative as you interacted with your family and character you knew, and of been different to any other title out there.

Instead they seem to blow their load over the idea of switching the protagonist to Jack. My main issue is it's such a fucking aesthetical change and nothing more, if they actually gave you some missions to do after it would be more understandable, hell they could of cut some of the filler missions for it if they didn't have the time for it (Seth, Uncle, the coke addict and the whole of Mexico). As it is you had one shitty stranger mission to wrap it all up, which was no less shitter than any of the other stranger mission. Also they had the credit role after it as though they were proud of the being how their game finished.

They went for a shallow shock finish and tooted their own horns rather than making a satisfying, mechanically and narratively deep conclusion.

In short I think it could of been great but ended up just being good like GTA4. I certainly don't think it was a huge improvement on it or a step-up for the sandbox genre. Also don't get me started on the multiplayer.

Bah, I should have knocked on wood. After reading this thread and hearing about different glitches, I thought "I haven't had anything bad happen to my game yet!".

Then I go arm wrestle some guy and as I win the guy stands up with a chair where his head should be and the game just stays there. Had to turn off the Xbox. Lame.

Oh Christ I'm so sorry if you saw that if you hadn't finished the game. I always mess up spoiler tags when I do multiple ones in a post and put slashes in prematurely, I should of checked it twice knowing that. Many apologies.

TemplaerDude said:
Bah, I should have knocked on wood. After reading this thread and hearing about different glitches, I thought "I haven't had anything bad happen to my game yet!".

Then I go arm wrestle some guy and as I win the guy stands up with a chair where his head should be and the game just stays there. Had to turn off the Xbox. Lame.

R* making The Tick confirmed??

DMeisterJ

Banned
Had my first real 'glitch' right now. It took like two minutes for the town i was in to load. Was just a bunch of windows and lights suspended in mid-air.
Anyway, game is still fun, almost to Mexico.

DMeisterJ said:
Had my first real 'glitch' right now. It took like two minutes for the town i was in to load. Was just a bunch of windows and lights suspended in mid-air.
Anyway, game is still fun, almost to Mexico.

I had a town disappear while playing a game of poker.

Downhome

Bobbyrawlins said:
Just finished the "Flowers For A Lady" Stranger quest and.........:lol :lol

Run around in the room and bump into her for another laugh.

And not that anyone cars but I'm at 27 hours in and 37.5% complete.

I have not made it to Mexico or the northeast yet.

Quick question: I am super early in, about 2 hours or so, but I finished the first "Strangers" mission where you have to find that lady's son who disappeared into the hills. I found what I figure were his remains, is the mission over? Do I have to find the lady and tell her her son is coyote feed? Could I have saved him if i went looking sooner?

Wiggum2007

Ninja Scooter said:
Quick question: I am super early in, about 2 hours or so, but I finished the first "Strangers" mission where you have to find that lady's son who disappeared into the hills. I found what I figure were his remains, is the mission over? Do I have to find the lady and tell her her son is coyote feed? Could I have saved him if i went looking sooner?

Most Stranger missions are like this, you will complete part of the Stranger mission then the next part of it will show up later. You can check your progress in your Journal, all the Strangers missions listed there are still in progress.

Wiggum2007 said:
Most Stranger missions are like this, you will complete part of the Stranger mission then the next part of it will show up later. You can check your progress in your Journal, all the Strangers missions listed there are still in progress.

oh so its not necessarily over? Cool. Just trying to figure out that mechanic.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mayyhem said:
20 hours in, don't think I've seen one

Maybe it was scripted, but the only cougar I've seen was on the race with Bonnie at the beginning of the game, I rode right by one.

I haven't seen one bear yet, Im a good 23 hrs in, around 55%, I think Im going to shit in pants if I see one suddenly chasing me.

Yeah, how will I get the achievement for killing 8 grizzlies when I haven't even seen one yet.
Dammit. I'm fed up with this world.

Wiggum2007

Ninja Scooter said:
oh so its not necessarily over? Cool. Just trying to figure out that mechanic.

Yup, just keep playing and check your map later. I think in most cases, when the next part of a Strangers mission opens up it will be marked with a purple circle on your map.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
dreamer3kx said:
I haven't seen one bear yet, Im a good 23 hrs in, around 55%, I think Im going to shit in pants if I see one suddenly chasing me.

I've only found them in the mountains (3rd area unlocked).

Aesius

Every time I lose at poker, arm wrestling, five finger fillet, etc, I always end up shooting up the entire town :lol

I must have killed 200 hundred people at the Pacific Railroad earlier. They kept respawning and I'd kill all of the witnesses. I don' think I ever got a bounty, but my honor went from maxed out to almost completely negative :lol

BigAT

Am I the only one that took a painful amount of time to realize you could turn on tracking for finding outfit scraps? I'm 75% complete with the game and only found out about it now.

kaskade

BigAT said:
Am I the only one that took a painful amount of time to realize you could turn on tracking for finding outfit scraps? I'm 75% complete with the game and only found out about it now.
Please, elaborate.

neoism

ok
what is the song that plays as soon as your in mexico Also this game looks soo good at night time, its especially enhanced while high:lol :lol

kaskade

Downhome said:
Go to your outfits menu. The ones you need scraps for you can turn on tracking icons on your map to help you find them. I only discovered this yesterday myself.
Looks like I found it out today. Very nice.

Mayyhem

How do you properly duel? I'm under the impression you paint your shots with RB then tap RT?

Doesnt seem to be working after 3 tries on this one guy from a stranger mission

Phionoxx

not sure how so many people have managed to avoid the ninja cats known as cougars, but I am just about halfway done with the game and have already skinned 29 of them. makes for some very interesting strolls through the wilderness seeing so many, but they also make keeping my horse alive a challenge.

Toki767

This game is awesome. A thief stole money from the shopkeeper so I hogtied the thief and brought him back. The shopkeeper started kicking the guy so I go to rest. 6 hours later the shopkeeper is still kicking the guy. :lol

Mayyhem said:
How do you properly duel? I'm under the impression you paint your shots with RB then tap RT?

Doesnt seem to be working after 3 tries on this one guy from a stranger mission

RT is to paint, I just spam RT, not sure if thats how its drawn but works for me.

Wow this game has really brought out my OCD tendencies. According to the game I've logged 22 hours so far and I'm only 48 percent complete. I've only done one mission in Maxico so far because I've been doing all the challenges and looking for outfits.

Wow, an event I never saw before.

"Hey mister, we got a shipment of dynamite here that needs delivering, interested?"

Was gonna help them, but then I saw there was a container right next to them, so I just opened it and took what was probably to be my reward.

They didn't like that much, started shooting... and apparently forgot they were surrounded by dynamite. Somehow Me and my horse are unscathed, they go flying off the screen like Team Rocket.

I also now have a wagon full of dynamite. Trying to think up a fun way to dispose of it...

Top Bottom