• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Lakitu

st5fu
I just spent the last 1 hour looking for fucking beavers and then the game glitched as I fell off my horse and my character just wouldn't stop running towards the opposite way no matter what I did. So I just blew myself up, went to finish a stranger quest thinking I had enough beaver fur then only to find out, since I restarted, I only had 3 beaver furs, not 5 (which is the amount I got before it glitched). Fuck this shit.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
gutter_trash said:
fuuuuck , did not know that.. I was travelling the whole time from point A to point B by horse

This is the best way to play the game. I have intentionally never fast-traveled and I don't feel like I've wasted any time at all.

A) You get to learn the lay of the land better.
B) You get to experience the random events, which are essentially the heart of the game itself
C) By the time you set up camp and navigate the menu, then wait for the loading screen, you would have been halfway there already if you just hopped on your horse and went.

By the end of the game I may begin fast-traveling to get from one end of the world to the other, but honestly, the game world isn't that big. It's much easier to get around in than GTA4.

Dibbz

Majine said:
Can you populate saloons somehow? Suppose to beat someone up in Casa Madrugada Saloon (Fightin' around the world), but it's empty. Tried returning to it several times, but nope, still empty.
Depends on the time of day doesn't it? If you visit during the day it should be full.

Also if you check Strangers under Stats it tells you the story for each stranger mission. For the Eva story it says
she was murdered in a drunken rage by Mario

Lakitu

st5fu
I've not once fast-travelled, either. I've never felt the point. Also, it just feels so nice traversing with your horse. Experiencing random events, the weather, the landscape and atmosphere.

Majine

Banned
Dibbz said:
Depends on the time of day doesn't it? If you visit during the day it should be full.
Apparently not. Think I've checked all times throughout the day (I even bought the room in the town just to make it easier :lol )

Jhoan

Meus Renaissance said:
I just finished the Eva side-mission and man that was probably the most emotional moment
I had in a game. I originally decided to give Mario the $200 to let her go (not sure if it was possible to kill him there and then) but as I was riding away from her graveyard, I was thinking to myself "should have killed him when I had the chance". Sort of felt responsible for her sad death. Incidentally, I don't think it was revealed how she died.

Hell yeah! I felt the same way except that
I kind of regret killing him during the draw, I only meant to shoot him in the hand but then I pointed at his right torso and the rest was history. At least I my 200 bucks back plus an extra 8 bucks. I couldn't beat that duel for crap. It took me 4 tries before I got him.
I got the Liar's Dice achievement. It's a pretty good mini game. I'm loving it.

I don't feel like getting back into the MP until R* patches it up. I hate the disconnection issues and the horrendous lag that it has (at least in Free Roam). However that doesn't mean I won't play if anyone sends me an invite. Getting from
Blackwater to Escalera
was pretty crazy. Hell I last time I played Free Roam, I was driving the stagecoach dynamite in hand after getting to level 15, when a couple of seconds later, the entire thing blows to hell along with me and several other GAF people in tow. It was hilarious. Despite how limited Free Roam really is, crazy stuff always happens. I'm dying to get to the North already in the story and get my challenges done.

This game has the best glitches ever. :lol

I was in town when a sheriff passed by a woman. He said, "Good morning, Miss..." and motioned. Something went wrong, and he suddenly got stiff like a piece of wood, and then fell flat on his face and didn't move for a few seconds.

Majine said:
I think the game gives you a teleport when you join a posse, no?

Yes, but if you're trying to do all of the hideouts in one session then you can avoid the ride time by having the posse leader set a waypoint to the next one and everyone go to one of the transport(wagon wheel) poles and teleporting to the waypoint. Some of the other challenges have you riding all over the map as well, such as the Hunter II challenges. It's much faster to use the transport pole than leave/rejoin the posse, because the leader is going to have to get to the location first anyway.

Lionel Mandrake said:

I was in town when a sheriff passed by a woman. He said, "Good morning, Miss..." and motioned. Something went wrong, and he suddenly got stiff like a piece of wood, and then fell flat on his face and didn't move for a few seconds.
just the description made me laugh :D

X26

Banned
Lionel Mandrake said:

:lol

I keep hearing about these glitches but I've only experienced one with tons of playtime put in. I was messing around in one of the mexican towns, chuparosa(sp?) I think, going in and out of cover waiting for a bounty to be posted when all of a sudden I went into cover once more and was vaulted up a few hundred feet in the air and fell to my death

Wizman23

Banned
So add me to the list as someone who was disappointed with GTA4 and thought this was going to be the same shit on horses. Holy shit was I wrong. Game of the year in my book....at least until 9/14 when Reach launches.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Meus Renaissance said:
I just finished the Eva side-mission and man that was probably the most emotional moment
I had in a game. I originally decided to give Mario the $200 to let her go (not sure if it was possible to kill him there and then) but as I was riding away from her graveyard, I was thinking to myself "should have killed him when I had the chance". Sort of felt responsible for her sad death. Incidentally, I don't think it was revealed how she died.

You cannot kill him the first time you meet otherwise you fail sadly :(

Also is it possible to still get bounty's from groups such as a Bandito bounty for example if you have killed the last one you got? Does that even make sense? :lol

aristotle

Label said:
You cannot kill him the first time you meet otherwise you fail sadly :(

Also is it possible to still get bounty's from groups such as a Bandito bounty for example if you have killed the last one you got? Does that even make sense? :lol

You should still get bounties. For some reason mine have never shown up south of the border though :/

daddynorcal

Neo Member
Jipan,

In addition to the Gang Hideouts, Free Roam also contains a large number of challenges that you can access by pausing the game and entering the Journal.

R* Support

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Label said:

Ah I got another one now! That took ages.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I bought this today, I have a quick question.

Is it even possible to save the people who appear as blue dots?

For example I was in the second town and there was a guy about to stab some woman. I shot the guy within a second of the blue icon appearing (I just happened to be next to him) and the woman still died.

Also, I was riding around and some guy approaches me on a horse and says his friend is about to die. So I follow him and 4 bandits have the guy hanging in a tree. I killed the 4 guys within a second using the slow-mo thing but he died anyway.

Filldough

Meus Renaissance said:

Man that scene was amazing. It really bothered me
that the motherfucker went back and killed her even after I paid for her freedom. WTF?
I mean there are times when I feel "effected" by a game, but that was one of the strongest feelings of anger I've ever had toward an NPC. It just really bothered me... Life in the Old West was fucked up.

X26

Banned
D4Danger said:

For example I was in the second town and there was a guy about to stab some women. I shot the guy within a second of the blue icon appearing (I just happened to be next to him) and the women still died.

Also, I was riding around and some guy approaches me on a horse and says his friend is about to die. So I follow him and 4 bandits have the guy hanging in a tree. I killed the 4 guys within a second using the slow-mo thing but he died anyway.

yes, you always can, and some are easier than others. The ones where you need to help someone being hanged seem the toughest to me

D4Danger said:

For example I was in the second town and there was a guy about to stab some woman. I shot the guy within a second of the blue icon appearing (I just happened to be next to him) and the woman still died.

Some times people are being hung, and you need to shoot the rope ASAP because they are being slowly choked by it. Shooting the bandits itself doesn't complete the objective in moments like that. They are very much a secondary issue. Just use Dead-Eye in shooting the rope and you are done.

I don't know about your first point. Whenever there is a situation like that (a gun to someones head n a town), it usually finishes a lot faster than e.g. someone asking you to retrieve a stolen item or wagon. So timing is crucial in some example. This is where Dead-Eye sells itself.

Filldough said:
Man that scene was amazing. It really bothered me
that the motherfucker went back and killed her even after I paid for her freedom. WTF?
I mean there are times when I feel "effected" by a game, but that was one of the strongest feelings of anger I've ever had toward an NPC. It just really bothered me... Life in the Old West was fucked up.

I don't believe he was the one that
killed her
, Gringo

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
X26 said:
yes, you always can, and some are easier than others. The ones where you need to help someone being hanged seem the toughest to me

ok. I guess I'm just doing it wrong then. It seems like no matter what happens the person dies.

Meus Renaissance said:
Some times people are being hung, and you need to shoot the rope ASAP because they are being slowly choked by it. Shooting the bandits itself doesn't complete the objective in moments like that. They are very much a secondary issue. Just use Dead-Eye in shooting the rope and you are done.

I'll try that next time. I seem to die quite quickly when I'm getting shot at so I always go for the bandits first.

D4Danger said:
I'll try that next time. I seem to die quite quickly when I'm getting shot at so I always go for the bandits first.

Understood. Just use Dead-Eye for the rope. And then again press the RS and mark the bandits on their heads. The example you describe is near Hanging Rock I believe. I never managed to save that person because it didn't occur to me I needed to shoot the rope

I suppose technically it is possible to save every stranger, but I doubt anyone here has managed that.

Filldough

D4Danger said:

You can save blue dots. It gets easier once you know what you're expected to do. At first everything is just kindof chaotic and crazy but you'll start to get the feel for the random events and save people in no time.

Meus Renaissance said:
Understood. Just use Dead-Eye for the rope. And then again press the RS and mark the bandits on their heads. The example you describe is near Hanging Rock I believe. I never managed to save that person because it didn't occur to me I needed to shoot the rope

I suppose technically it is possible to save every stranger, but I doubt anyone here has managed that.
Do you mean the random encounters? Some of those are just impossible; I see the marker on the screen and when I turn the camera, they are already killing the person in trouble most of the time.
I just got to mexico in the SP, but I've been playing mostly mp since it came out. I'm up to rank 30 now.

Filldough

Meus Renaissance said:

I don't know about your first point. Whenever there is a situation like that (a gun to someones head n a town), it usually finishes a lot faster than e.g. someone asking you to retrieve a stolen item or wagon. So timing is crucial in some example. This is where Dead-Eye sells itself.

I don't believe he was the one that
killed her
, Gringo

But John Specifically asks him
why'd you do it man?
and then they duel.

Jhoan

daddynorcal said:
Jipan,

In addition to the Gang Hideouts, Free Roam also contains a large number of challenges that you can access by pausing the game and entering the Journal.

R* Support

Yes, I'm well aware of that as I've done a handfull of challenges. I know you guys are working to get a patch out ASAP. I'm guessing it's gonna come with the co-op missions? I mean, I love the Free Roam but I would love more stuff to do such as the aforementioned mini games assuming it doesn't overwhelm the connection or whatnot and I would love it if animals appear more frequently (well maybe if I play Free Roam by myself as it does tend to happen when I'm not busy doing anything in it) so I could do said challenges. I don't mean to complain and sound like I'm whining. Maybe the next in the next Free Roam session, we should devote it to hunting animals besides redoing Gang Hideouts. Patience is a virtue I guess.

On a slightly unrelated note, an in engine 30 min Red Dead Redemption movie is gonna air on Fox at 12am (midnight). Anybody's gonna watch it? I'll probably watch it if I remind myself. I hope it doesn't spoil the rest of the game as I'm not finished with the game.

this game is awesome. whenever a blue dot decides to steal my horse i always hogtie them and leave them in the brush to die slowly. that'll teach em.
anyone else starting to talk with more of a southern drawl irl? :lol

Filldough said:
But John Specifically asks him
why'd you do it man?
and then they duel.

Not exactly. John naturally assumes
Mario did by asking "why'd you do it". Mario then responds saying "Kill her? Now, I may have hit her but I.." can't remember the rest but I specifically remember him explaining how he had hit her in the past in a tone to suggest that he was contrasting what was a norm for him with what evidently had happened to her. So I don't think he killed her.

I got the impression they duelled because John was sick of his nonchalant attitude towards her.

Gravijah

75 hours, 40% complete. Yeah... :lol

Edit:
I find myself dying a lot trying to play certain ways. Like one of the gang hideouts is a mine... and I slowly walked through the place taking out everyone with a shotgun. Or when I try to tie people up and get shot by 5 people. :D

Max

I am not Max
Gravijah said:
75 hours, 40% complete. Yeah... :lol

Edit:
I find myself dying a lot trying to play certain ways. Like one of the gang hideouts is a mine... and I slowly walked through the place taking out everyone with a shotgun. Or when I try to tie people up and get shot by 5 people. :D
Wow. I have about 3 days and around 70% complete. Do you not sprint? :lol

Gravijah

Max said:
Wow. I have about 3 days and around 70% complete. Do you not sprint? :lol

Sometimes I just find myself wandering around doing random shit, I really enjoy it. This is the kind of game where I can take my time and still find stuff to do. I've been doing more story missions recently, though.

Filldough

Meus Renaissance said:
Not exactly. John naturally assumes
Mario did by asking "why'd you do it". Mario then responds saying "Kill her? Now, I may have hit her but I.." can't remember the rest but I specifically remember him explaining how he had hit her in the past in a tone to suggest that he was contrasting what was a norm for him with what evidently had happened to her. So I don't think he killed her.

I got the impression they duelled because John was sick of his nonchalant attitude towards her.

Ah, You may be right... I honestly don't remember the conversation in its entirety. I just remember being pissed... Maybe for the same reason as John... Just no respect for other people; had to put him down in a bad way.

There is a strange morality in this game... Like there are rules, but everyone has their own interpretation of them...

Top Bottom