• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

LiK

really love the atmosphere and feel of the game. i really like the characters too. the voice acting so so damn good.

Pimpbaa

Mik2121 said:
Ending spoilers!!

You know, I, like many, don't really like Jack so much. He's not as awesome as John (best Rockstar character so far) and his voice makes it sound like you're playing with a 20-something guy rather than an outlaw with a lot of experience like John.
But maybe if they release some DLC to make Jack look as badass as John, we could grow to like him more... maybe.

Also his face bothers me.. it's like he's got a huge face with very small eyes.. and the cowboy outfit or whatever it's named (the first one) doesn't look anywhere as awesome as John's...

20-something year old guy? Jack still sounds like a teenager. Plus he looks like a douche. The game was a fun ride, but I have lost all motivation to get a 100% on this game because of Jack.

Mik2121 said:
Ending spoilers!!

You know, I, like many, don't really like Jack so much. He's not as awesome as John (best Rockstar character so far) and his voice makes it sound like you're playing with a 20-something guy rather than an outlaw with a lot of experience like John.
But maybe if they release some DLC to make Jack look as badass as John, we could grow to like him more... maybe.

Also his face bothers me.. it's like he's got a huge face with very small eyes.. and the cowboy outfit or whatever it's named (the first one) doesn't look anywhere as awesome as John's...

He's not even a 20 something guy. He's 18 or 19. So it sounds pretty accurate to what it should. I dressed him in the elegant suit, since he sounds like a bit of a dandy. Fits better.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
K2Valor said:
Walked outside to my front porch this afternoon.. a bobcat was staring right at me. (This is in real life, not the game). Luckily, it took off and ran away. Made me want to play though. :lol

Did you use Dead Eye and then skin the bugger?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
And to everyone that fell in love with the music that plays when you first enter Mexico there is a better moment in the game close to the end. Song kicks in after a big mission.
The music gave me chills. Favorite moment of the game. I kept my game save from before that mission so I can replay it and enjoy that moment again.

Mik2121

HadesGigas said:
He's not even a 20 something guy. He's 18 or 19. So it sounds pretty accurate to what it should. I dressed him in the elegant suit, since he sounds like a bit of a dandy. Fits better.
Did we get info on how long it passed after John died? I mean, John died when Jack was 15-16. I don't think in two years or so his grave would be so cracked and dirty.. dunno :p.

But yeah, I guess if you play with him with the elegant outfit and act as the character you are (the son of a fucking legend!), it can be bearable :). I for one will keep playing, that's for sure.

Dude Abides

Banned
Hmm, somehow after doing the first mission across the border I've jumped from dead eye level 1 to dead eye level 3, skipping 2 altogether.

Jeramii

Banned
Somnium986 said:
Hi Jeramii!

Just 2 more days and RDR will be mine. Being broke is no fun. :(

som, my brother. can't wait for you to get it. haven't played online with you in ages. its a great game. good news if you want to play online with me it is possible. i picked up two copies, so my GF can play with me (and other gaffers on my list), and she is good. So unlike uncharted that i can rarely play, because I hate ditching her for you guys..... She will likely come along.

Hit me up when you wanna play! ^__^

Downhome

Truelize said:
I kept my game save from before that mission so I can replay it and enjoy that moment again.

No spoilers please, but did you try the "replay mission" in options to see if you get the song after playing it that way?

Downhome

Dude Abides said:
Hmm, somehow after doing the first mission across the border I've jumped from dead eye level 1 to dead eye level 3, skipping 2 altogether.

I posted earlier that I thought that happened to me as well. For the life of me I don't remember seeing "2 of 3" pop up or anything like that. I did what someone earlier told me you do when you get the second one,
shoot the hat in the air in a Westdickens mission
but I didn't notice any upgrade. When I saw that level 3 pop up when you're talking about I was shocked, and confused.

Mik2121 said:
Did we get info on how long it passed after John died? I mean, John died when Jack was 15-16. I don't think in two years or so his grave would be so cracked and dirty.. dunno :p.

But yeah, I guess if you play with him with the elegant outfit and act as the character you are (the son of a fucking legend!), it can be bearable :). I for one will keep playing, that's for sure.

I'm pretty sure he's there burying his mom. And it said she died in 1914. 3 years after John dies.

Cobra84

Mik2121 said:
Did we get info on how long it passed after John died? I mean, John died when Jack was 15-16. I don't think in two years or so his grave would be so cracked and dirty.. dunno :p.]
Newspaper that you can buy as Jack says 1914.

Being forced to play as Jack does blow ass. I'd rather play as the old lady sweeping the floor in the saloon in Blackwater than play as Jack.

HadesGigas said:
I'm pretty sure he's there burying his mom. And it said she died in 1914. 3 years after John dies.

Yup, also the one newspaper you can get after the game says 1914 in Roman Numerals at the top, I think. Also, Ross (or someone in his stranger quest) makes a reference to world war I starting over in Europe. Jack should be 19 or 20.

Jeramii said:
som, my brother. can't wait for you to get it. haven't played online with you in ages. its a great game. good news if you want to play online with me it is possible. i picked up two copies, so my GF can play with me (and other gaffers on my list), and she is good. So unlike uncharted that i can rarely play, because I hate ditching her for you guys..... She will likely come along.

Hit me up when you wanna play! ^__^
Yeah it's been awhile. Been hearing nothing but good things about this game. can wait to play,and jump online with you guys. we still need to play desperate escape. hope you come back to UC2. gonna try out the new lab playlist this weekend.

Just curious, as I never played Revolver, were there any references or characters to that game? Spoiler tag if necessary.

Also, should I make an effort to go back and play Revolver? I know its a more traditional, level based game, that doesn't bother me. Does it hold up well now though?

Ha, just occurred to me that my grandfather
would have been the exact age John's son is in the game. Assuming Jack is 16 in 1911, that would have put him being born in 1895, the year my Grandpa was born. He died in 1989 at age 94. Strange, growing up knowing someone who reached adulthood during those years.

Cobra84

rasberryjam said:
The one time I WANT to find cougars, I can't. I've sat at Tanner's Ranch for at least half an hour with nothing but an onslaught of bears.
Try a little bit south east of Fort Mercer, there is nothing but cougars there. Just sit and wait and they will come to you.

UrbanRats

Damn, it won't give me the Gaptooth breach Hideout
scrap, cause of a glitch -.-
i get there and there's the violet circle, but there is no "X" on the map to start the "breach".. damn this bugs, now i can't have the treasure hunter outfit

Mik2121

Costanza said:
OMG, the scenery when you first get to Mexico might be the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in a game.
Wait until you get to Tall Trees and stay there during the sunset... and also the last.. mmm.. 10% or so of the game..
Shit's so amazing.

My GOTY, for sure.

Aesius

Mik2121 said:
Wait until you get to Tall Trees and stay there during the sunset... and also the last.. mmm.. 10% or so of the game..
Shit's so amazing.

My GOTY, for sure.

The lighting in this game is SICK. But the game sort of suffers at dusk, because the lighting is so flat and everything looks really shitty. Night looks good, but it can't compare to the lighting during the daytime.

I usually end up saving/sleeping and only do missions or hunt during the middle of the day.

Dizzle24

UrbanRats said:
Damn, it won't give me the Gaptooth breach Hideout
scrap, cause of a glitch -.-
i get there and there's the violet circle, but there is no "X" on the map to start the "breach".. damn this bugs, now i can't have the treasure hunter outfit
Keep playing. You meet a character named
Irish
finish his missions and it will appear on the map for you.

sarcastor

zero margin said:
How are you supposed to catch foxes in order to skin them?

use dead eye to shoot them.

the real question is how the fuck am I suppose to kill 2 cougars with my knife when they are just sooo freaking fast?

Dead

well not really...yet
Anyone know when the
Reyes Rebels
Outfit scrap is unlocked at the Escalera store?

Ive done all the other requirements, started the
Reyes
missions, and its still marked as Unavailable at the store.

Does it unlock when you finish all of those particular missions?

Timber

Just got access to the northernmost area. Fucking beautiful terrain. It doesn't feel like an afterthought like the third area in GTAIV, even if it's a tad small. And I love how it parallels the narrative: chronicling the death of the old west gunslinger and then letting the story come to a close in
a setting atypical of a western, with a town that's decidedly more 20th century than the rest of the map, cars and government offices and all
... what a stroke of brilliance.

I'm trying to do the cougar slicing task at the moment, but the fuckers elude me. I've roamed the northwest part of the map and the Rio Bravo area around Fort Whatsitcalled for half an hour but they're nowhere to be found. Bait just seems to attract wolves and coyotes. Guess I'll try to find em south of Thieves' Den; that's where I last encountered them.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there something I need to do to activate the telegraph office? I have a $50 bounty, and I walk to where the telegraph office is, but there is no option to pay it. The guy is in the booth, but I get no prompt. I've paid off bounties on myself before at this same booth, but I don't know why it isn't active now...

sarcastor said:

the real question is how the fuck am I suppose to kill 2 cougars with my knife when they are just sooo freaking fast?
the real question is do that for a bear :lol :lol

Dead said:
Anyone know when the
Reyes Rebels
Outfit scrap is unlocked at the Escalera store?

Ive done all the other requirements, started the
Reyes
missions, and its still marked as Unavailable at the store.

Does it unlock when you finish all of those particular missions?

you need to finish
an appointed time
mission

UrbanRats

Dizzle24 said:
Keep playing. You meet a character named
Irish
finish his missions and it will appear on the map for you.
Already done that mission, but still, is not giving me the "X". :(
i'll try again tonight. :p

Downhome

sarcastor said:

One more option, for that and the bears...

Use the knife from your horse. Pretty sure you can nail cougars and bears from there.

Jeramii

Banned
Somnium986 said:
Yeah it's been awhile. Been hearing nothing but good things about this game. can wait to play,and jump online with you guys. we still need to play desperate escape. hope you come back to UC2. gonna try out the new lab playlist this weekend.

i'll be back no worries. just alternating between the games. just depends on what is happening in the world of utah and my life.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Timber said:
Just got access to the northernmost area. Fucking beautiful terrain. It doesn't feel like an afterthought like the third area in GTAIV, even if it's a tad small. And I love how it parallels the narrative: chronicling the death of the old west gunslinger and then letting the story come to a close in
a setting atypical of a western, with a town that's decidedly more 20th century than the rest of the map, cars and government offices and all
... what a stroke of brilliance.

I'm trying to do the cougar slicing task at the moment, but the fuckers elude me. I've roamed the northwest part of the map and the Rio Bravo area around Fort Whatsitcalled for half an hour but they're nowhere to be found. Bait just seems to attract wolves and coyotes. Guess I'll try to find em south of Thieves' Den; that's where I last encountered them.

I had no trouble finding cougars near Fort Mercer and Repentance Rock. Almost every time I rode through that area I would hear them growl.

And knifing them wasn't anywhere near as hard as I thought it would be. Just aim and spam. Good luck.

Top Bottom