• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

DuckRacer

I beat the game in about 21 hours (though I didn't do a couple Stranger missions), I have no idea how any of you are racking up that much time without being anywhere close to finishing.

Gravijah

DuckRacer said:
I beat the game in about 21 hours (though I didn't do a couple Stranger missions), I have no idea how any of you are racking up that much time without being anywhere close to finishing.

I don't use much fast travel, sometimes I just wander between areas. No reason to finish the game quickly. I also do the challenges, have been hunting a lot.

MMaRsu

DuckRacer said:

Not doing story mission after story mission.

Downhome

You guys were spot on with the music that plays once you go south. Oh man, so absolutely perfect. I just walked my horse as it played and looked around. One of the best video game moments ever, at least in terms of mood.

My main stats are now 30 hours at 44%.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
DuckRacer said:

It's a sandbox game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just finished the Flowers for a Lady stranger mission...wow.

After that was done I went back into the cabin and walked into her, which made her head fall to the ground and the guy just turned around as it thumped and jumped back.
:lol

KaYotiX

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Not doing story mission after story mission.

This, ive been doing alot of stranger missions and the challenges. I also hardly fast travel unless my next spot is all the way across the map.

Downhome

I have a quick question about Dead Eye:

I just got DE 3 of 3 earlier today. The weird thing is that I don't remember getting 2 of 3 at all. Is it possible to skip that one or did I just overlook it? What is 2 of 3 like?

I was getting all OCD earlier about hunting. I was in an area with wolves and I told myself, ok, kill and skin all the ones here then move on. But the problem was that I was in an area where they just kept spawning. I had like 30 when I started that, and I was so OCD by telling myself to kill and skin the ones around then move on that before I know it I literally had maxed out how much wolf parts I could even keep in my inventory. :lol

Dibbz

Meus Renaissance said:
Not exactly. John naturally assumes
Mario did by asking "why'd you do it". Mario then responds saying "Kill her? Now, I may have hit her but I.." can't remember the rest but I specifically remember him explaining how he had hit her in the past in a tone to suggest that he was contrasting what was a norm for him with what evidently had happened to her. So I don't think he killed her.

I got the impression they duelled because John was sick of his nonchalant attitude towards her.
To quote myself

Dibbz said:
Also if you check Strangers under Stats it tells you the story for each stranger mission. For the Eva story it says
she was murdered in a drunken rage by Mario

If you want beavers go to Pacific Union Railroad Camp in the North near Blackwater. They hang by the river there.

Gravijah

Downhome said:
I have a quick question about Dead Eye:

I just got DE 3 of 3 earlier today. The weird thing is that I don't remember getting 2 of 3 at all. Is it possible to skip that one or did I just overlook it? What is 2 of 3 like?

you get dead eye 2 when you're doing west dickens missions ... specifically when you're trying to sell his stuff in the small town and the one guy throws up the hat.

TTG

Anyone know if the ending of the "I know you" Stranger task is different depending on the choices you make?
Was a cool twist that it's Satan testing you, unfortunately I went with the good choices :(

Dibbz

TTG said:
Anyone know if the ending of the "I know you" Stranger task is different depending on the choices you make?
Was a cool twist that it's Satan testing you, unfortunately I went with the good choices :(
Not sure. When I finished it, John
tried to shoot him but it didn't do anything to him.
I had a really positive honor rating.

Downhome

I found it interesting how a choice I made earlier in the game did come into play in a small way a bit later:

The guy in Thieves' Landing, you either tell him to not get with a whore or you pay him to do so, well I accidentally paid for the whore for him. I meant to do the other option but I was a little confused by the question it asked. Anyway, in Mexico the strangers mission for the guy in the black suit and top hat, he mad reference to that saying something like "how can a man like you be faithful to his own wife yet pay for a whore for another man".

I thought that was pretty cool.

Reknoc

TTG said:

"Damn you!" "Everybody does" did not make me think of Satan.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Downhome said:
I found it interesting how a choice I made earlier in the game did come into play in a small way a bit later:

The guy in Thieves' Landing, you either tell him to not get with a whore or you pay him to do so, well I accidentally paid for the whore for him. I meant to do the other option but I was a little confused by the question it asked. Anyway, in Mexico the strangers mission for the guy in the black suit and top hat, he mad reference to that saying something like "how can a man like you be faithful to his own wife yet pay for a whore for another man".

I thought that was pretty cool.

The whore thing was given to you within the same stranger mission set, so it'd make sense he references whatever choice you made.

soldat7

DuckRacer said:

Soaking up the atmosphere, not fast traveling, playing a lot of poker and black jack, etc.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Walked outside to my front porch this afternoon.. a bobcat was staring right at me. (This is in real life, not the game). Luckily, it took off and ran away. Made me want to play though. :lol

K2Valor said:
Walked outside to my front porch this afternoon.. a bobcat was staring right at me. (This is in real life, not the game). Luckily, it took off and ran away. Made me want to play though. :lol

Damn, seriously?! Where do you live?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Damn, seriously?! Where do you live?
I live in SoCal, in the valley. Our house is in front of a range of hills, and in those hills is coyotes, bobcats, and mountain lions.

Seeing coyotes isn't that rare, bobcats are rare (but not surprising). I've never seen a mountain lion.

K2Valor said:

Jeez, Im in NYC, fiercest wildlife around here are.....squirrels.

DarkKyo

LabouredSubterfuge said:
No, you need to play liar's dice in Casa Madrega (I have no idea if that's what it is called lol). As for it to be available you need to wait for enough people to be at the table.
I thought that was the bar in Chuparosa!

venom2124

Just finished the game at around 93% complete. I think it will be tough for any other game coming out this year to match RDR. The atmosphere and voice acting are ridiculously impressive.

Spoilers ahead:
The I Know You stranger mission was my favorite of the game. The whole theme of the game is about seeking redemption, so it makes sense for Marston to be tested. Also, it was awesome to see something supernatural in a Rockstar game. I was disappointed there were no ghosts in Tumbleweed or even a ghost hitchiker like the campfire tales in the game talk about, so Satan's appearance made me smile. My favorite moment of the main storyline was easily the raid on Dutch's fort. Traveling through the snowy forest with a large posse felt incredible.

Quick question for those that beat the game:
Is there any way to play as John instead of Jack after the credits? I want to finsh up the last few challenges left and Jack is kind of annoying. The worst part about it is John has quickly become one of my favorite video game characters.

TTG

Reknoc said:
"Damn you!" "Everybody does" did not make me think of Satan.

He also mentions
that he's "an account of sorts". And ofcourse there's the part where he seems to know everything about John and being impervious to bullets.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
For those who have beaten the game

Can someone give me a video/videos (youtube preferred cause I can just use downloadhelper and keepvid) of the deaths of Uncle, and the deaths/capture of the people that were in the formal gang? Please... I have a great idea for a music video I can complete very soon :D... PM me the videos and keep the videos about 1 minute short or combine them.

and of coruse be credited for giving me the videos I requested.if I use them in the music video.

qirex99

Banned
okay....

I'm finding the game REALLLy boring. ive even fallen asleep TWICE.

Does it pick up at some point?

Its just not that fun.

Anybody have a copy of JC2 they wanna trade for this (360 only).

Rikyfree

K2Valor said:
I know what you mean. We used to have a chicken coop and we would see a few foxes, coyotes and bobcats try to get in very rarely. Needless to say if we got out there in time, our furry little predator friend was not alive anymore thanks to my dad's colt m1911 or my remington 12 gauge. I have no mercy for the little pricks that steal from me or my family.

Loxley

vMaxx said:
Can someone tell me where to find beavers?

They roam around the Western border of Tall Trees, near Aurora Basin. I also found a couple around Bearclaw Camp, as well as in between Thieves Landing and the Military Post. They were definitely the hardest bastards to find when I was working up Survivalist.

Ever since I got 100% completion, I've been having fun making up shit for me to do. I've switched to Expert aim for the single-player and it's a lot more fun, I'll definitely use it when I play through the single player again. Also limiting myself to certain weapons (I only ever use the revolvers- mainly the Schofield and the LeMat- because they're just that much more badass than the
semi-autos
:D). Also I'm enjoying re-clearing out the gang hide-outs using only a shotgun, forces me to get up close & personal.

I've also toyed with turning the music off during firefights, it definitely makes them feel more gritty. And I'll admit that one of my favorite little things about RDR is the weapon echo off in the distance whenever you fire off a round :)

Oh, and speaking of the music, for those of you looking for stuff for custom soundtracks, I highly recommend this piece from the World of Warcraft soundtrack (skip to about 15 seconds in). Fits very nicely with RDR's :D

Gravijah

Loxley said:
They roam around the Western border of Tall Trees, near Aurora Basin. I also found a couple around Bearclaw Camp, as well as in between Thieves Landing and the Military Post. They were definitely the hardest bastards to find when I was working up Survivalist.

Ever since I got 100% completion, I've been having fun making up shit for me to do. I've switched to Expert aim for the single-player and it's a lot more fun, I'll definitely use it when I play through the single player again. Also limiting myself to certain weapons (I only ever use the revolvers- mainly the Schofield and the LeMat- because they're just that much more badass than the
semi-autos
:D). Also I'm enjoying re-clearing out the gang hide-outs using only a shotgun, forces me to get up close & personal.

I've also toyed with turning the music off during firefights, it definitely makes them feel more gritty. And I'll admit that one of my favorite little things about RDR is the weapon echo off in the distance whenever you fire off a round :)

Oh, and speaking of the music, for those of you looking for stuff for custom soundtracks, I highly recommend this piece from the World of Warcraft soundtrack (skip to about 15 seconds in). Fits very nicely with RDR's :D

What are the bonuses for reaching 100%?

Seanspeed

Banned
GDJustin said:
This is the best way to play the game. I have intentionally never fast-traveled and I don't feel like I've wasted any time at all.

A) You get to learn the lay of the land better.
B) You get to experience the random events, which are essentially the heart of the game itself
C) By the time you set up camp and navigate the menu, then wait for the loading screen, you would have been halfway there already if you just hopped on your horse and went.

By the end of the game I may begin fast-traveling to get from one end of the world to the other, but honestly, the game world isn't that big. It's much easier to get around in than GTA4.
Traveling around is probably my favorite part of the game. Its weird to say that, but the world just looks sooooo good that it'd be a shame to skip the ride. And yes, those little random events are great, and there's always hunting/foraging(recently discovered you can make a TON of money doing this) to distract you, as well.

I've also turned off the map HUD so the screen is ALL game. I find that I pay more attention to the world around me and although I still need to check my map a good bit, I tend to learn my way around new places faster and dont need the map as much as I can find my way by visual clues.

No doubt the best open-world environment ever.

GuessWho said:
does this game ever pick up? I just beat bonnie mission saving the barn, it's really boring. Does it pick up?

Yes, but in all honesty if you aren't enjoying it by now then you probably won't enjoy the rest of the game.

Loxley

Gravijah said:
What are the bonuses for reaching 100%?

Let's see, there's a 100g completion achievement/trophy (called "Redeemed"), you unlock a special outfit for the single-player campaign; "The Bureau Uniform" which basically allows you to kill anyone and the law enforcement won't bother you and your bounty will not increase :D If you shoot someone in the face, instead of the law enforcement pulling their guns and shooting back or sending a posse after you, they'll just run away in fear like normal civilians.

Although personsally my favorite is the U.S. Marshal outfit, I just like the way it looks.

I think...that's it. There's not a whole lot in terms of flat-out reward, but I did enjoy working my way up to it :)

Rikyfree

Loxley said:
Let's see, there's a 100g completion achievement/trophy (called "Redeemed"), you unlock a special outfit for the single-player campsign; "The Bureau Uniform" which basically allows you to kill anyone and the law enforcement won't bother you and your bounty will not increase :D If you shoot someone in the face, instead of the law enforcement pulling their guns and shooting back, they'll just run away in fear like normal civilians.

Although personsally my favorite is the U.S. Marshal outfit, I just like the way it looks.
I agree, the marshal outfit is ace.

Mik2121

Ending spoilers!!

You know, I, like many, don't really like Jack so much. He's not as awesome as John (best Rockstar character so far) and his voice makes it sound like you're playing with a 20-something guy rather than an outlaw with a lot of experience like John.
But maybe if they release some DLC to make Jack look as badass as John, we could grow to like him more... maybe.

Also his face bothers me.. it's like he's got a huge face with very small eyes.. and the cowboy outfit or whatever it's named (the first one) doesn't look anywhere as awesome as John's...

Top Bottom