• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

JoeBoy101

GillianSeed79 said:
That's where I found him. He didn't show up, though, until near the end of Act 1 a few missions before Mexico. Do stranger missions require unlock conditions? I swear it seems like you have to complete certain missions before they open. Also, can they disappear? I remember seeing a question mark in Mexico, but did a different stranger mission before going to it. When I opened my map again the question mark was gone.

For that guy, you have to complete "Women and Cattle" so yes, there are pre-conditions. Not sure if you can lose stranger missions, but it sounds like it.

GillianSeed79 said:
That's where I found him. He didn't show up, though, until near the end of Act 1 a few missions before Mexico. Do stranger missions require unlock conditions? I swear it seems like you have to complete certain missions before they open. Also, can they disappear? I remember seeing a question mark in Mexico, but did a different stranger mission before going to it. When I opened my map again the question mark was gone.

I think it's fame that unlocks them. Turn tracking on/off? Or go save/sleep and see if that works.

Im trying to unlock the bollard twins outfit but i dont exactly know what they want me to do when they say "search theives landing" do i have to buy a house? play liars dice?

never mind i fount it

Wiggum2007

terrdactycalsrock said:
Im trying to unlock the bollard twins outfit but i dont exactly know what they want me to do when they say "search theives landing" do i have to buy a house? play liars dice?

Search the upper floor of the big warehouse in Thieves landing, it should be in a chest.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
You GTFO now!!!

Love that outfit. Didn't like the bandito one very much.

Heh, I haven't unlocked the bandito outfit, still in the first area. Really I find pretty much every hatless outfit awful looking. Something about removing the hat changes John from 'grizzled outlaw' to 'hideous ogre'. :lol

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Question on one of the Mexico Stranger quests.

Quest in question is
Poppycock, I have the option to give the opium guy his money back or kill him and keep it, but I noticed on the "reyes rebel" costume that another quest sounds like it would deal with the same guy. If I kill him now, do I screw myself for that costume?

wRATH2x

Banned
SPOILERS DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T BEATEN THE GAME!!!!!!!!

I just beat the game(Spoilers ahead)

Officially my favorite Rockstar game of all time, and judging by how much I love GTA San Andreas thats quite the feat. John Marsden is one of my favorite characters of all time, and all the other characters were memorable. The graphics are some of the best this generation easily, everything is just beautiful and captures the feel of the old west.

Almost everything about this game is "A" material. The missions were varied, fun and challenging, I also loved the conversations you had with the characters during them(they were there in all the GTA games but here they almost always unlock new thing about the story). The minigames were all fun to play. All the side stuff were worth doing and so fun that you would anticipate doing it, the bounty's are my favorite and I love the stranger missions. Dicking around is also fun and can be rewarding depending on what you stumble upon. As you move in another location the game keeps changing its tone to fit the story and the place.

Bonnie, The Marshal, Abraham Reyes, Luisa, DeSanta, Landon Rickets, Abigail and Jack
were my favorite side characters. I loved going to do their missions for what might happen.
Dutch was my favorite of the villains
, and I couldn't help but hate most of the others(which is a good thing considering they are villains).

The only things I would complain about would be some glitch that happens during missions which won't let me mount my horse(can be really annoying).
I hated when I had to do missions in Blackwater since it pretty much showed that the old west is dying(I guess thats the point though), I hated those two douches I had to work with. It didn't last long, and the professor had potential but only three missions killed it for me. I was annoyed that Nastas died early too, I was expecting another set of missions under the letter N but sadly that didn't happen.

I also fucking hate the ending. I saw it coming and it made sense, but it still annoys me that John had to die. Its one of the most depressing endings I ever witnessed for a game and I hate Rockstar for it. John was an awesome guy and I tip my hat to him. You can finally rest cowboy.

Now sure it's not Red Dead Revolver, but it's a great fucking game and one of my favorites ever. I would love a new Revolver sure, but I can safely say I would love a new Red Dead Redemption more.

Overall Rockstar has redeemed themselves in my eyes. After the horrible pile of shit that was GTA IV, they made their best game ever. And it will live on as one of the best.

9.8/10

ShockingAlberto said:
I was trying to catch one guy who, after I killed all his men, got on his horse and started to ride away.

Shoot the horse? That's how I stopped a bounty from getting away. He hopped on his trusty steed, so I shot his trusty steed in the ass with the weaker rifle. Horse bucked him right off, then sped away, leaving him helpless as I sent a Repeater round into his kneecap, then ran up for the lasso+hogtie. So moral of the story, when a bounty gets on his horse...

Shoot the horstage.

(Get it? Play on "shoot the hostage?" You know, from Speed? Nevermind.)

I'm like an hour late for the $5000 pardon letter achievement/trophy discussion ,but an easy way to do it is to camp on the roof of the Armadillo saloon.

You can climb up to it via the external entrance to your room, and hide up there indefinitely as you have an awesome vantage point of most of the town and can duck out of view whenever you're hurt. Just be sure to bring a lot of ammo. :lol

Once you hit $5000, just crouch until your wanted meter goes away, casually walk to the train station and give them your pardon letter. :p

This spot also works pretty well in Multiplayer for the Public Enemy trophy. I had a posse trying to climb up to me for a good 10 minutes and held em off. :lol

oktarb

wRATH2x said:
So how the fuck
can I get rid the fucking crows so they won't eat my fucking corn!?
Use moonshine, go into deadeye,target all bird around the opening to the grain at the top, then target as many other birds as you can. Then keep shooting them, use chewing tabacco if you need to.It just a matter of attrition.
[/

Forsete

oktarb said:
Use moonshine, go into deadeye,target all bird around the opening to the grain at the top, then target as many other birds as you can. Then keep shooting them, use chewing tabacco if you need to.It just a matter of attrition.
[/

You only need to shoot the birds that approach the opening at the top.

Mik2121

Yesterday I "finished" (or so I thought) the game and today I got the actual real ending, with credits and all that. It's just... amazing. It will be hard to top this game on my GOTY or even my overall, at least, Top 5 or so.

wRATH2x

Banned
Mik2121 said:
Yesterday I "finished" (or so I thought) the game and today I got the actual real ending, with credits and all that. It's just... amazing. It will be hard to top this game on my GOTY or even my overall, at least, Top 5 or so.
There's a real ending? How do you get that?

Mik2121

wRATH2x said:
There's a real ending? How do you get that?
I meant the ending where you get the credits..

You got them, right?.

If not,
go to the train station in Blackwater and do the stranger mission there

wRATH2x

Banned
Mik2121 said:
I meant the ending where you get the credits..

You got them, right?.

If not,
go to the train station in Blackwater and do the stranger mission there
Alright I'll do that!

Zeliard

I haven't been to Mexico in the game yet, but the amazing music that everybody says plays when you get there, is it heard anywhere else at all in the game?

oktarb

Forsete said:
You only need to shoot the birds that approach the opening at the top.

I found the more I shot the fast they went away. Could have been perception but I failed a bunch of times just trying to shoot the incoming birds. Once I just started to murderize them all I won easily.

Mik2121

Patrick Bateman said:
When are you able to get to the snowy areas? I came to Mexico very recently.
After you're done with Mexico, you'll get to go to West Elizabeth.
Enjoy your loooooong stay in Mexico, though :)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I finished it today (360/with the real ending).
Pros
+Gigantic world that would take days to explore all of it
+Excellent VO/main characters
+Hunting is strangely addicting
+Lots of side missions/activities to do
+Good story

Cons
-Framerate dropped alot in the cities
-Gunplay isn't very good, but tolerable
-Enemies are very difficult to see in certain circumstances
-Game is designed around lots of autoaim
-Character movement is awkward (stick up the butt syndrome, can't really turn on a dime)
-Some story mission intros are way too long
-A little too much start mission, then ride horse for 10 minutes to actually start it
-Game glitched out a few times, forcing a mission restart

Basically, I knew what I was getting into, as all Rockstar games seems to have all of my problems. Overall though, it was great and a very impressive achievement. Now if only Rockstar would employ some better combat designers. 9/10

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Zeliard said:
I don't get this. I've never played a game with more satisfying gunplay.

so you've never played another 3rd person shooter?

The shooting in Gears, Uncharted, Dead Space shit all over the shooting in RDR.

Dever

Banned
Revolutionary said:
Did you try reloading a save?

Yeah, didn't work. It mostly just affects the dialogue.
Edit: Uh I have no idea how, but taking my headphones off the TV fixed it. Sounds fine now even with them back on. Phew?

So guys, I finished the game, two days ago, but is it possible to 100% the game with the finished game save file?
Seeing that you play with Jack, I get the impression some stranger missions are gone, like the one close to MacFarlane's Ranch with a man that seems to know you

I have an older save file but I already did some stuff in this one so I don't really want to go back...

Max

I am not Max
This is the first time i've ever wanted to throw my controller FUCK FIVE FINGER FILLET

edit: I did it! :D

edit 2: and now they add X........

The Wise Old Man said:
About to pull the trigger and buy this today. One question: are there timed missions in this game? I freaking gate timed missions in the GTA series...

There are one or two that I can recall. I never had to retry anything because of running out of time though.

BigAT

Metroidvania said:
Question on one of the Mexico Stranger quests.

Quest in question is
Poppycock, I have the option to give the opium guy his money back or kill him and keep it, but I noticed on the "reyes rebel" costume that another quest sounds like it would deal with the same guy. If I kill him now, do I screw myself for that costume?
Nope, you can do whatever you want for the first quest and it won't influence the second.
I killed him and took the money. The second quest is unrelated to him.

Guevara

BigAT said:
Nope, you can do whatever you want for the first quest and it won't influence the second.
I killed him and took the money. The second quest is unrelated to him.

Fu... wish I had known that last night

Filldough

Pizza Luigi said:
So guys, I finished the game, two days ago, but is it possible to 100% the game with the finished game save file?
Seeing that you play with Jack, I get the impression some stranger missions are gone, like the one close to MacFarlane's Ranch with a man that seems to know you

I have an older save file but I already did some stuff in this one so I don't really want to go back...

I believe the
"I know you" stranger mission
is the only one you can't do after completing the game.

Top Bottom