• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Host Samurai said:
One thing that I was hoping for was for R* to meld this in the GTA universe. They mention Manhattan and NYC plenty of times throughout the game but they don't refer to those places as Liberty City. Oh well, I thought it would add a little bit to the entire universe thats all.

Huh, why would they mention Liberty City? RDR is based is real locations like Mexico etc.

Host Samurai said:
One thing that I was hoping for was for R* to meld this in the GTA universe. They mention Manhattan and NYC plenty of times throughout the game but they don't refer to those places as Liberty City. Oh well, I thought it would add a little bit to the entire universe thats all.
Good for Rockstar San Diego I say, not killing themselves to try to work this into GTA's ridiculousness.

Host Samurai said:

I was thinking about this, being a bit of a nerd for the GTA universe (huge fan of Manhunt too), and I sort of realised the answer to your question. GTA, more than being a kick-ass open-world series, is a satire on modern-day America. Everything about GTA4 is biting and angry, and damn funny, but RDR is not. RDR is much more thoughtful, sombre, and as close to the history and mythology of the Old West as possible, to almost a painstaking Assassin's Creed-type level (but with no actual places). I think they didn't tie this game in with GTA because the overall purpose of the story is different. RDR still has humour and a little bit of satire, but it's not at the forefront, so this universe is separate. Hope this helps.

Dragnet

When the game says disarm people, it means shooting their arm to win the duel right? I need to get two for this challenge, but I've done countless duels and disarmed but nothing is happening!

Dragnet said:
When the game says disarm people, it means shooting their arm to win the duel right? I need to get two for this challenge, but I've done countless duels and disarmed but nothing is happening!
You can disarm people outside of duels too, ya know.

Itchy//Tasty said:
I was thinking about this, being a bit of a nerd for the GTA universe (huge fan of Manhunt too), and I sort of realised the answer to your question. GTA, more than being a kick-ass open-world series, is a satire on modern-day America. Everything about GTA4 is biting and angry, and damn funny, but RDR is not. RDR is much more thoughtful, sombre, and as close to the history and mythology of the Old West as possible, to almost a painstaking Assassin's Creed-type level (but with no actual places). I think they didn't tie this game in with GTA because the overall purpose of the story is different. RDR still has humour and a little bit of satire, but it's not at the forefront, so this universe is separate. Hope this helps.

Makes sense.

Itchy//Tasty said:
Relieve this man of his Junior status.

Dragnet

levious said:
Disarm two enemies within a certain time?

I've done it now..seems you literally have to hit the gun! But now the challenge is
to disarm 6 people in a row without reloading or changing weapons
..fuck.

Itchy//Tasty said:

Love it! very well put!

ckohler

Dragnet said:
I've done it now..seems you literally have to hit the gun! But now the challenge is
..fuck.
Can you use dead-eye, I hope?

Neuromancer said:
But what's up with them saying New Austin all the time? Is that historic in some way?
I think the only real locations are 'America' and 'Mexico.'

Think about it - the whole map is pretty much the western North America including swamps, snowy northern areas, forests, desert, etc. If they tried to be accurate, the game world wouldn't be able to include all of those environments.

Dragnet said:
..fuck.

Its actually pretty easy. I did it in Thieves Landing so the law wouldn't come down on me for shooting people. Just draw your weapon of choice on a guy and use dead eye to shoot the gun out of his hand. When you're all out of dead eye, chew some tobacco or hide and wait for it to replenish. Just be sure to hold L trigger or L2 so you don't reload.

timetokill said:
You guys are such cheaters, shooting first then knifing to finish them off.... do it like a real man! Knife only :D

I wish you could hogtie animals. That'd be an awesome way to hunt. Tie them up and then slit the throat.

Darklord

Banned
Where do the banditos attack? I can't say I've come across any areas where they've attacked residents. Is there a certain spot that happens so I can get scrap 5 of their outfit?

Gribbix

Dragnet said:
Everytime I use it he seems to reload the gun! Fucking infuriating..
Yes, but it doesn't count against you when your gun reloads by engaging dead-eye. You'll complete the challenge as long as you don't press the actual reload button (B or Circle).

The Lamonster said:
I think the only real locations are 'America' and 'Mexico.'
Think about it - the whole map is pretty much the western North America including swamps, snowy northern areas, forests, desert, etc. If they tried to be accurate, the game world wouldn't be able to include all of those environments.
Yep. Although California is referenced, you never actually go there.

timetokill said:
You guys are such cheaters, shooting first then knifing to finish them off.... do it like a real man! Knife only
I legitimately only used my melee knife for the singleplayer challenges. However, I did cheese it a bit for the free-roam challenges. PROTIP: Bears are scared of horse-drawn carriages.

I must be getting jaded. This thing has as much to do in multiplayer as the old GTAs had to do in single player and yet I keep wondering why multiplayer feels empty.

I lament why there aren't gang match modes that use stage coaches, trains, more than one town etc. etc. Why there isn't gambling, a use for money, flowers, meat, skins, etc etc.

Still... who's got that motherf'ing buffalo, dude???!?! I'm gonna get that thing within a couple weeks, I know it.

The Lamonster said:
Has anybody ever hogied a massive amount of people and thrown them into a tiny room?

I imagine it would look pretty silly.
Even sillier with dynamite. Heh. Might be able to drive up my bounty quickly with that move.

Dragnet

Woo nailed the final challenge. I am officially a legendary sharpshooter! :D

Tip: Use the Mauser, and run your ammo down to the very last clip so you only have 15 bullets left. That way you can't reload! Just be sure to avoid walking over dropped pistols..

Darklord said:
I thought John could swim in this? Or at least a little bit. Really fucks the whole feel of the game when I just walked into a lake, the water touched my hat and I instantly died. I thought we were past that shit and I thought the claims he couldn't swim in this were wrong. I guess not. Seriously, not even a lake? I can understand a river, like make the current too strong or something but still, calm water kills him like a thousand bullets? Jesus Christ.

Meh, I don't really care. The only areas where I'd want to swim are the rivers, and they're out of the question, as they're what serve as barriers to prevent you from going to areas too soon. As for lakes, there's hardly any of them in the game anyway, and you really wouldn't benefit that much from being able to swim in them.

For people who are having trouble knifing cougars to death, I just put a single rifle rifle bullet in them (body shot), and then just run up to them and slash them up. They stalk you before they pounce, so they don't tend to attack you if you just run right up to them. I missed with my first two slashes, but still had time to take them down with the third.

KAOz

Short bus special
Dragnet said:
Woo nailed the final challenge. I am officially a legendary sharpshooter! :D

Tip: Use the Mauser, and run your ammo down to the very last clip so you only have 15 bullets left. That way you can't reload! Just be sure to avoid walking over dropped pistols..

Or, you do it the ammo-saving easy way. (First time I'm quoting myself on GAF)
KAOz said:
Just use lots, and lots of Dead Eye. Even though he automatically reloads when you get out of Dead Eye, it doesn't count. The reload only counts if you do it yourself.

Gribbix

Rockstar has responded to a number of questions/inquires they've received.

It sounds like they might offer the option for a hardcore/expert-only free roam gametype in a future update:
“Great game but some of us gamers would really enjoy the option to play expert aim only freeroam.” – received via Twitter
“Any plans to add a hardcore free roam? i think a lot of people would like that” – received via Twitter

Free Roam has been designed to serve as a wide open lobby experience with as few restrictions as possible so people could play they way they were used to in single player (be it casual, normal, or expert targeting). That said, we always listen to feedback from our players and may be including this in a future update. If it does happen, please be advised it may take a while to create, code, properly test and implement – so may not be something you see until later this summer but we are looking into it and figuring out if we can make it happen. In the meantime, our best advice if you’re looking for an Expert-Aim-only Free Roam experience is to start a private session with likeminded friends and other players posseing up at Red Dead fan boards and sites like the ones listed here. We will keep you posted.
They also confirmed that they're working on multiple DLC packs in addition to the upcoming Outlaws to the End Co-Op DLC:
“Please add more things to do for CO OP Free roam. Missions etc. Will pay for DLC or co op pack.” – received via Twitter

We’ve announced the Outlaws to the End (free) Co-Op DLC Pack, which you should expect sometime in June. We’ll have more details on that pack specifically very soon. Look for some screens unveiling one of the other missions in that pack very soon. But also know that there will definitely be more DLC packs to follow, later this summer and into the fall. Some exciting things are planned – we’ll be announcing info including release time frames and pricing on those in the coming months.

Dead Man

Okay, just finished the story missions. Very disappointed. I like that they took a bit of a unique approach,
but I liked John, I don't want to be whiny old Jack, and he looks like a dandy.

Anyway, it's probably been discussed to death, but I've been avoiding the thread until I finished the story and haven't caught up on it yet.

Quick thoughts:
Terrible controls still, but better than GTA IV by far. Trying to run and look around is a lost cause.

Water deaths. Fuck me they are bad. At least show some flailing around or something if you want us to believe he can't swim, or have him refuse to enter the water like a horse with a cliff, or something. But he just walks in like a zombie and dies. What the hell?

Horses are great, loved the way they implemented them.

Some great VA, and some terrible VA. Mostly the 'American' characters were great, mostly the 'Ethnic' characters were terrible.

Overall good, better than GTA IV, but not as great as I was hoping. Anyway, at least there is still plenty of stuff to do, they really got that right this time.

is anyone else frustrated that the map button is on the select button? i mean i get it you use your inventory a lot so it needs to be a button press away. maybe they should have put the map in the inventory along side your camp and whatnot

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
It's actually so hot my PS3 shut itself off, I need to install my AC before I play any more games =/. I was right in the middle of getting an outfit too!

MMaRsu

DLC packs only this summer or fall? Come on give us some fast DLC R*. I mean, develop it and everything but don't make us wait 4 months for something good ok? You guys have a bigass hit on your hands, and while I know that making frequent DLC pack's isn't your guys thing ( look at other R* games, barely any DLC ), this game would really benefit from it.

How about some more animals or hunting challenges in free roam?

I know this post is gonna fall on deaf ears but whatever.

Dragnet

I don't know what everyone is on about. GTAIV was far, far from goofy, at least compared to old GTA. I see no problems with RDR's world being connected to the world of GTAIV. Old worlds like San Andreas? Sure, but not 'this generation' GTA. I feel like RDR could easily be a part of the universe.

It has to be realised that this is still a game set in 1911, when culture and society was very different to what it is in GTAIV. Are the characters in GTAIV crazy and stupid? In comparison maybe, but in reality then no not particularly, they are just living in a much more free and different way of life than the people of RDR. RDR has its share of nutty characters and missions. I mean
launching an attacks on whole armies and their forts? Using cannons and gatling guns like they're nobodies business?
It comes across that RDR is much more serious, but is it? You still have crazy events happening, stereotypes all over the place, comedy in the newspapers. GTA itself got just as sombre as RDR does. Think about Niko and the guys emotions when
Romans wedding gets shot up and whatsherface dies.

I feel like if the world in RDR was allowed to age to when GTA is set (now) it would be the same as GTAIV. Culture and society progresses hugely in the 100 years following RDR. Sorry about the rant..I just feel differently to others in this thread.

Darklord

Banned
What's with this "Funny Man" quest? I did part 2(saving Jimmy from the mine) a while ago and went on with other things. I haven't even come across part 3 but got told I failed the quest. What the hell? How does that happen?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Darklord said:
What's with this "Funny Man" quest? I did part 2(saving Jimmy from the mine) a while ago and went on with other things. I haven't even come across part 3 but got told I failed the quest. What the hell? How does that happen?

Prolly killed him?

Darklord said:
Did you fail it shortly after or during storming a hideout

Darklord

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Did you fail it shortly after or during storming a hideout

Nah I saved him like 2 hours ago. I went on, did a Mexico mission, hunted some animals and it just pop-ed up. I don't even know where part 3 was. Where is it? I reloaded a 10 minute old save so I might try and get to it now.

Dragnet said:
I don't know what everyone is on about. GTAIV was far, far from goofy, at least compared to old GTA. I see no problems with RDR's world being connected to the world of GTAIV. Old worlds like San Andreas? Sure, but not 'this generation' GTA. I feel like RDR could easily be a part of the universe.

It has to be realised that this is still a game set in 1911, when culture and society was very different to what it is in GTAIV. Are the characters in GTAIV crazy and stupid? In comparison maybe, but in reality then no not particularly, they are just living in a much more free and different way of life than the people of RDR. RDR has its share of nutty characters and missions. I mean
launching an attacks on whole armies and their forts? Using cannons and gatling guns like they're nobodies business?
It comes across that RDR is much more serious, but is it? You still have crazy events happening, stereotypes all over the place, comedy in the newspapers. GTA itself got just as sombre as RDR does. Think about Niko and the guys emotions when
Romans wedding gets shot up and whatsherface dies.

I feel like if the world in RDR was allowed to age to when GTA is set (now) it would be the same as GTAIV. Culture and society progresses hugely in the 100 years following RDR. Sorry about the rant..I just feel differently to others in this thread.

You've got a great point, but I still disagree. RDR is a LOT more serious and, I guess grown-up then GTA has ever been. Sometimes RDR does lean towards much silliness, as GTAIV sometimes leans towards seriousness, but the overall tone of both games I find vastly different. Not being able to bang the saloon whores is one example - if this were GTA they'd probably let you do it even if the main character was married (although none of them have been, so it's hard to say). There's plenty of examples, but just generally the whole tone of RDR is much less risky, funny and satirical.

I was a teensy bit disappointed that they didn't tie the two franchises together as well, mainly because I love the whole universe R* have built since GTAIII, but I do understand the reason why they didn't.

Me going on a tangent: Bully/CCE was different, they never outright tied it in with GTA, but referenced it subtly. I always figured this is because the world of Bully has children, teenagers and adults - the key thing that sets it apart from GTA, with no schools or children apart from the slyest references (abandoned schoolbus graveyard in GTAIV, baby prams sitting around abandoned in various locations, presence of a baby in Vice City Stories and kids mentioned/featured on the radio stations).

tangent, additional: I always saw GTA, Bully and Manhunt as sort of fulfilling the different qualities/extremities lacking in each other. In Bully there is children, but no guns (spud gun doesn't count), blood, serious violence or car driving, so it's the perfect antithesis to GTA. Manhunt is the polar opposite - proper graphic violence, but the game design is linear and you don't kill many innocents (there are a few though), and no women, let alone children. GTA is the happy medium between the two - it has everything, but no extreme violence and no children, dogs, or schools.
RDR is a different approach to the open world genre, built on the drama and mythology of the West rather than humour or satire, so R* chose to make it a different world much like our own instead of GTAs. This is just the way I see it all though, feel free to disagree. You should probably also know I have a boring job and think about videogames too much.

Gribbix said:
Rockstar has responded to a number of questions/inquires they've received.

It sounds like they might offer the option for a hardcore/expert-only free roam gametype in a future update:

They also confirmed that they're working on multiple DLC packs in addition to the upcoming Outlaws to the End Co-Op DLC:
A) Yeah, I doubt we'll see expert-only although I was completely hoping for it from the get go. It would be so much better not worrying about getting picked off from 300 yards with a bolt-action.

B) Hope the DLC is for free-roam and not a co-op version of single-player.

I found RDR to be quite satirical, actually. There's the movies you can watch (sexist and anti-science propaganda), and the beginnings of Prohibition (and, thus, the 'reasoning' behind it - quite funny) just to name two examples. I felt it fit into the established world of Rockstar games well, and didn't think anything of them being universes apart. Who's to say Manhattan isn't renamed Liberty City somewhere down the line? :p

rareside

Just finished.

Was it just me, or was anyone else shocked at how long the game went on after John reunited with his family? I thought the game was going to go Shenmue 2 on us, but the longer it went on, the more I felt some bad shit was going to go down.

Also, I loved that the real ending wasn't forced on you. You had to go seek it out in Blackwater, as I suspected.

I kept myself away from all hype on this game, and boy am I happy I did. What a refreshing game.

Top Bottom