• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

soldat7 said:
What do you mean by that? Mexico is great so far.
And that music as you ride in...so awesome.

Yeah I gotta say I've really enjoyed Mexico. The characters other than 'LR' aren't that great but the missions were interesting and setting feels really quite different from New Austin.

kaskade

I'm 32 hours in and I've only done 31 of the 57 story mission. I'm definitely going for the 100%. Good thing social club has a 100% check list.

daddynorcal

Neo Member
kyo_daikun said:
I've read in a few places that five finger doesn't mark as complete until you beat the $25 bet man (the third) could be just rubbish tho.

You have to beat all the players at one of the Five Finger Fillet locations to get the percentage. The size of your bet does not matter. John will get up once you've completed this.

R* Support

TheKurgan said:
Yeah it's a pretty negative stereotype. I have done a few Irish missions and it doesn't get any better unfortunately.

He's the best character so far in my opinion (I'm in Mexico). He's funny and not a complete jackass with a hidden agenda at least. Come on, you can't possibly think the welsh/english characters were any better :D

They call me "El Rato", The Cat.

I love the physics in this game.

I was returning a stolen wagon to a blue guy on the map and I was coming up on a tight curve on the path, and I was HAULING ASS around this curve, the wheel breaks and the ropes snap and marston goes flying off the wagon. I was cracking up so bad. :lol

Dubbill

Neo Member
Majine said:
Can you populate saloons somehow? Suppose to beat someone up in Casa Madrugada Saloon (Fightin' around the world), but it's empty. Tried returning to it several times, but nope, still empty.
Casa Madrugada has a little mini-event:
a rebel gathers the residents around him and gives a speech. A few Mexican army guys arrive and break it up, shooting someone in the process. After that the bar is deserted for a while
but it appears to repopulate at some point.

denomes

People have probably already complained about this in this thread but, I played Free Roam online with a friend for the first time yesterday and I was surprised to find that you can't play Poker. This seems like such a missed opportunity and I don't even get down with Poker that much.

Also, is there some way to save in Free Roam or is it done automatically. I only ask because whenever you leave a Free Roam lobby for another one it states "All unsaved progress will be lost".

Darklord

Banned
I thought John could swim in this? Or at least a little bit. Really fucks the whole feel of the game when I just walked into a lake, the water touched my hat and I instantly died. I thought we were past that shit and I thought the claims he couldn't swim in this were wrong. I guess not. Seriously, not even a lake? I can understand a river, like make the current too strong or something but still, calm water kills him like a thousand bullets? Jesus Christ.

Raide

Had my first horse murdered by a Cougar. Galloping full speed to Thieves Landing and it swiped my horse. Managed to recover and Dead Eye a Double-barrelled Shotgun into its ninja face. :lol

uraldix

Level 10 Sharpshooter is starting to annoy me. My gun keeps auto reloading and resetting the counter even when I aiming the whole time. It is the only one of the challenges that I have left. Outside of that it has been a great game.

JoeBoy101

Darklord said:
I thought John could swim in this? Or at least a little bit. Really fucks the whole feel of the game when I just walked into a lake, the water touched my hat and I instantly died. I thought we were past that shit and I thought the claims he couldn't swim in this were wrong. I guess not. Seriously, not even a lake? I can understand a river, like make the current too strong or something but still, calm water kills him like a thousand bullets? Jesus Christ.

Call it laziness. They used water as permanent and temporary barriers throughout the game. Be it the main river, or smaller ones.

Darklord said:
I think it's the best solution to the "blocking off areas" aspect of GTA games. And it makes sense, some people in the old west couldn't even read, much less swim.

Hey guys. Just started a little last night. Having a blast. Any 360 GAFers want to form a posse so I can knock out some of my achievements? Please add TheInquistor

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Ran in to one of those "hey mister 2 prisoners escaped can you go catch 'em or kill 'em for me" missions. I started heading towards the first one but halfway there I heard some wolves howling and the mission updated to "get the remaining prisoner." Hahahaha sorry pal. :lol

UrbanRats

Darklord said:
And Rockstar flat out lied on that one(with the email). It's BS. :mad:

Timber

I gotta say that I very much enjoyed the Mexico missions. The landscape gets kinda old after a while, but all the political conflict and the characters behind it were much more interesting than the motley crew you have to assemble in New Austin (tho I liked them as well, lots of great, sometimes offensive western comic relief archetypes).

Probably the part of the story I had the strongest reaction to so far (Mexico) was when
Luisa comes running up to you and gets promptly shot, and that asshole Reyes' totally apathetic reaction. At that moment I really wished the game would give you the option just to shoot the bastard.

uraldix said:
Level 10 Sharpshooter is starting to annoy me. My gun keeps auto reloading and resetting the counter even when I aiming the whole time. It is the only one of the challenges that I have left. Outside of that it has been a great game.

Empty all the bullets out of whichever gun you are using except for one clip, save after you do this, in case you mess up and you can just reload your save. I did it with the Mauser pistol.

uraldix said:
1) Choose your preference between the 15-bullet revolver or the 22-bullet repeater.
2) Empty out all your excess bullets for whichever gun you choose into the ground leaving you with only the bullets loaded into your gun (no auto-reload worries).
3) Pick your fortress battle, employ dead eye, disarm 6 guys (you can get multiple disarms from the same guy) and you can duck for cover, release L1 and all the normal stuff you normally do.

Easy win for Sharpshooter 10.

Denzar

OMG.

Just now I approached a desolate looking house up north in New Austin. As I walked closer John said "Where is everybody?". Then...

COUGAROUTTAFUCKINGNOWHERE

John got mauled and died.

:lol

JoeBoy101

Deepack said:
OMG.

Just now I approached a desolate looking house up north in New Austin. As I walked closer John said "Where is everybody?". Then...

Still trying to work out killing 2 of those fuckers with my knife.

Raide

Deepack said:
OMG.

Cougar 1 - Deepack 0

Lakitu

st5fu
Had no problems killing two cougars with a knife. I usually just let them attack me at first then use medicine then go in for the kill while chasing them. It's a small price to pay.

You can typically put 2-3 body shots in a cougar ( I used the Evans Repeater) and they slow down and sometimes retreat. Then it's just a matter of chasing them down with the knife.

This works for bears too, but use 3-4 shots.

Flunkie

Banned
Lionheart1827 said:
I love the physics in this game.

I was returning a stolen wagon to a blue guy on the map and I was coming up on a tight curve on the path, and I was HAULING ASS around this curve, the wheel breaks and the ropes snap and marston goes flying off the wagon. I was cracking up so bad. :lol
What?! I've tried and tried to do this but have never gotten any wagon or cart to A. topple over or B. break. I r jelus.

Dragnet

Just had my first truly crazy event happen that I've never seen anyone else talk about..I had just killed (Hunter Challenge Spoilers)
Lobo the Legendary Wolf
when a guy ran up to me screaming about some bandits threatening to kill his wife. I duly follow him being the Hero I am, expecting an easy task, but when we arrived at the camp it was truly in chaos..the mans wife was swinging like a pendulum from her noose as one massive bear absolutely mauled the shit out of her, then as I was about to dead eye the 3 bandits who had just seen me a second bear charges out of fucking nowhere and kills 2 of them. I manage to dead eye the last bandit, the rope and get one headshot onto the first bear before the other rammed me off my horse..after that I was a sitting duck and you can guess what happened. I became a Marston sandwich :(

Vengeance was soon mine however as I returned from my injury hiatus to
slay the great Brumas!
Fuck you bears, bow to your almighty king!

RedStep

Borgnine said:
Ran in to one of those "hey mister 2 prisoners escaped can you go catch 'em or kill 'em for me" missions. I started heading towards the first one but halfway there I heard some wolves howling and the mission updated to "get the remaining prisoner." Hahahaha sorry pal. :lol

I had a similar experience recovering a shopkeeper's stolen wagon in Tall Trees. The wagon was parked, surrounded by bandits. As I survey the location, a bear takes out the guy peeing. A pack of bears swarms them (and me, after). I ended up with a pile of 5 dead bears and 5 dead bandits. I didn't touch one of them.

Loxley

The Lamonster said:
I think it's the best solution to the "blocking off areas" aspect of GTA games. And it makes sense, some people in the old west couldn't even read, much less swim.

Yeah, at least in RDR Rockstar has some sort of a scapegoat to explain why you can't swim (because, as you said, many people didn't know how to back then) unlike in GTA when there really was no in-game explanation at all :lol

Part of me really hopes in future DLC we get the ability to rob banks, or at least the game adds banks that are being robbed and you have option to try and stop'em as one of the random world events.

Dragnet said:
slay the great Brumas!
Fuck you bears, bow to your almighty king!
I kind of felt cheesy as I slew
Gordo, the legendary boar, by standing inside the broken house along river
then slew
Khan, the legendary cougar, by standing inside the (warm and cozy) mountain cabin
and finally slew
Brumas, the legendary bruin, by standing inside a busted out log cabin in bear camp
. Tell me you didn't do the same. The whole title took like 15 maybe 20 minutes including travel time, and I never took any damage.

Dragnet

DeuceMojo said:
I kind of felt cheesy as I slew
Gordo, the legendary boar, by standing inside the broken house along river
then slew
Khan, the legendary cougar, by standing inside the (warm and cozy) mountain cabin
and finally slew
Brumas, the legendary bruin, by standing inside a busted out log cabin in bear camp
. Tell me you didn't do the same. The whole title took like 15 maybe 20 minutes including travel time, and I never took any damage.

No I was out in the wild..I was aware of that exploit but never used it. It was all over a bit quick, but
Brumas was fun. I rode to the top of Nekoti Rock expecting to find him in that cave, but nothing..then as I rode down to the bottom he was just stood there, on his hind legs in the middle of the path, staring me down..

KAOz

Short bus special
uraldix said:

Just use lots, and lots of Dead Eye. Even though he automatically reloads when you get out of Dead Eye, it doesn't count. The reload only counts if you do it yourself.

Can someone explain the MP to me.

I played for about 10 minutes of free roam, but it was really bad.

I know there is quality to be had here, but i just dont know where to find it.

Any help?

bathala

Banned
i did the last mission for the Funny Man.
bullets didn't affect him
Do you get to know more about him later in the game?

My favorite moment in the game so far:

Lassoing and hogtying some dude who wouldn't give me something (you know who I mean) and setting him down in front of the train at Mercer Station.

I then thought... wait, my horse was witness to this and he know damn well who I am, regardless of this bandanna.

So I lassoed my horse and dragged him across the track at just the right time and BLAM! NOTHING BUT GIBS! He's on fire!

KAOz said:
Just use lots, and lots of Dead Eye. Even though he automatically reloads when you get out of Dead Eye, it doesn't count. The reload only counts if you do it yourself.
Any tips on shooting hats off, then disarming within 3 seconds? I could've sworn I did this multiple times in Pike's Basin, but never got credit. I'll even use the sniper rifle to get some pinpoint accuracy and still can't do it.

One thing that I was hoping for was for R* to meld this in the GTA universe. They mention Manhattan and NYC plenty of times throughout the game but they don't refer to those places as Liberty City. Oh well, I thought it would add a little bit to the entire universe thats all.

Ominym

Banned
Drealmcc0y said:

I know there is quality to be had here, but i just don't know where to find it.

Any help?
Just like any open world game, it's all about roaming with your friends. Get your friends together and pull some hi-jinks like everyone riding together inside of a horse drawn carriage, trying to kill people along the way.

For added fun, try to survive the dreaded Tanner's Breach.
Beware. Seriously.

Drealmcc0y said:

I know there is quality to be had here, but i just dont know where to find it.

Any help?
Posse up with a few people, preferably fun people. Start some gang hideouts. They're surprisingly fun scenarios that might last 3 to 5 minutes. Take a break, ride past some other posse to see if they shoot at you. If they do, wipe them out mercilessly for the next 10 minutes. Settle the score with a multiplayer match. Try another few gang hideouts...

Btw, your low level character has shit firearms, a shit mount, and tends to get taken out all the time. Wait until you're at least level 14 before you make a judgment.

bathala said:
i did the last mission for the Funny Man.
bullets didn't affect him
Do you get to know more about him later in the game?
That's not the Funny Man.

"I Know You" spoilers below..
I don't know if there's closure on that (doubt it), for I haven't gotten much further from that yet, but my guess is that it's John's conscience messing with him. It's him, trying to steer himself in the path of good... hence the reason the man mentioned names of people John has killed that he didn't even remember. The killing had become second nature...

My friend thought it was god, because of the closing conversation ("damn you" "yes, some people have"), but I have a hard time believing god came to earth just to sway someone from having sex with a hooker and to give some missionaries some money.

EDIT: Regarding the 2 Cougar Knife kills challenge.. All you have to do is swing wildly with the knife when a cougar is running towards you and you'll most likely kill it if you keep swinging. I killed both cougars I needed for the challenge at almost the same time that way. :lol

Haunted

ShockingAlberto said:
Do throwing knives count as knife kills?
The challenge states it has to be done with the hunting knife, I think.

Cougars were really easy after someone told me about the dodge rolls. Makes it basically impossible to lose in a 1-one-1 situation.

Host Samurai said:
One thing that I was hoping for was for R* to meld this in the GTA universe. They mention Manhattan and NYC plenty of times throughout the game but they don't refer to those places as Liberty City. Oh well, I thought it would add a little bit to the entire universe thats all.
It's odd they would compare Armadillo to Manhattan anyway. That's like comparing Chicago to San Andreas. Why would you take away from the immersion of a video game by forcing you to remember you're in a fake-ass world?

Top Bottom