• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Okay guys, I finaly catch a train in a station in Mexico but... The train doesn't want to go.

I'm stuck on it. I'm afraid to go down and see what I missed because if I do so, it might leave without me on it (to shoot bird for the challenge)

How can I ride a moving train ?

bathala

Banned
Revolutionary said:
That's not the Funny Man.

"I Know You" spoilers below..
I don't know if there's closure on that (doubt it), for I haven't gotten much further from that yet, but my guess is that it's John's conscience messing with him. It's him, trying to steer himself in the path of good... hence the reason the man mentioned names of people John has killed that he didn't even remember. The killing had become second nature...

My friend thought it was god, because of the closing conversation ("damn you" "yes, some people have"), but I have a hard time believing god came to earth just to sway someone from having sex with a hooker and to give some missionaries some money.

EDIT: Regarding the 2 Cougar Knife kills challenge.. All you have to do is swing wildly with the knife when a cougar is running towards you and you'll most likely kill it if you keep swinging. I killed both cougars I needed for the challenge at almost the same time that way. :lol
Oh yeah, my bad. The conscious sounds more realistic, but its cool too if its god/devil

Well, isn't Manhattan called Algonquin in GTAIV? You're right though, there's quite a bit of satire and humour in RDR too.

(edit) in response to Revolutionary. This thread moves fast.

UnluckyKate said:
Okay guys, I finaly catch a train in a station in Mexico but... The train doesn't want to go.

I'm stuck on it. I'm afraid to go down and see what I missed because if I do so, it might leave without me on it (to shoot bird for the challenge)

How can I ride a moving train ?

They'll all go. You're glitched somehow.

You can either board when it's stopped or board it from your horse. Easy as trying.

Wiggum2007

So to avoid spoilers I'll be as vague as possible. There is a cutscene in the game where a character takes your hat. What if I'm wearing an outfit without a hat?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wiggum2007 said:
So to avoid spoilers I'll be as vague as possible. There is a cutscene in the game where a character takes your hat. What if I'm wearing an outfit without a hat?

I don't think you can obtain a hatless costume before that.

HiResDes

Absolutely lovely game but I've ran into a boatload of glitches, I got punched once while in a barfight in the Thieves location and somehow find myself drowning in a body of water some about a mile away, I got on a horse one time standing up and ending unlocking some sort of wall glitch in which I was hovering above the ground and could not get down, and most horrible of all I currently have a glitch in all of my saved games in which the option to change outfits never appears.... : (

Itchy//Tasty said:
Well, isn't Manhattan called Algonquin in GTAIV? You're right though, there's quite a bit of satire and humour in RDR too.

(edit) in response to Revolutionary. This thread moves fast.
Err, yeah, that's what I meant. lol my bad
"Who's to say Manhattan isn't renamed Algonquin somewhere down the line?"*

Papercuts said:
You get the Gentleman's Attire right off the bat if you go to the Social Club menu, no?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Revolutionary said:
You get the Gentleman's Attire right off the bat if you go to the Social Club menu, no?

Ah, forgot about that one. Not sure then...I'd try to replay the mission but you go to the default outfit when you do that.

Revolutionary said:
I believe it's when you clear the "Skin it to win it" Social Club challenge. I've yet to find it on the R* site.

Theres RDR stuff for sale on XBL Avatar Marketplace now:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/a...0&p=1&gi=66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025454082b

HiResDes said:
Absolutely lovely game but I've ran into a boatload of glitches
I was in a fistfight too (in multiplayer) and got knocked out and then inexplicably fell from about 200 ft. high to my death. Which must've made my opponent pretty freakin' proud of himself. :lol

Just wanted to say "Fightin' Around the World" is the best trophy/achievement ever. Had a blast getting it, while singing the Russell Crowe Show's theme every time. :lol

Klocker

terrdactycalsrock said:
is anyone else frustrated that the map button is on the select button? i mean i get it you use your inventory a lot so it needs to be a button press away. maybe they should have put the map in the inventory along side your camp and whatnot
This annoys me to no end and I suspect it's Rockstar just trying to be different (and a holdover from GTA4).

I have a question about how close I am to the ending.

Big spoilers! Only those that have beat the game should look under the spoiler tag!

Just got reunited with my family and did the cow herding mission with Bonnie and Jack. How close am I to the end of the campaign? I figured pretty close but if anyone has a solid answer (number of missions or number of hours remaining) or even a guesstimate that'd be awesome.

TenshiOni said:

Big spoilers! Only those that have beat the game should look under the spoiler tag!

Just got reunited with my family and did the cow herding mission with Bonnie and Jack. How close am I to the end of the campaign? I figured pretty close but if anyone has a solid answer (number of missions or number of hours remaining) or even a guesstimate that'd be awesome.
You have a few more family missions before shit gets intense. Probably just two or so hours, I think.

sdornan

Check your playtime in the stats screen and post what yours says. Mine says I've played for 4 days and 14 hours. I've beaten the game, but there is no way in hell that's true. I have no idea how they came up with that number.

sdornan said:
Check your playtime in the stats screen and post what yours says. Mine says I've played for 4 days and 14 hours. I've beaten the game, but there is no way in hell that's true. I have no idea how they came up with that number.
My time as of right now is 2 days 7 hours.

Cday

Banned
For the "Eva in Peril" stranger quest they should have
let you cover up the body. I mean you just leave an open grave for someone you were trying to help :/

Itchy//Tasty said:
Bully/CCE was different, they never outright tied it in with GTA, but referenced it subtly.

No, there was an outright tie in GTAIV. One of the television shows that focuses on "rich people" shows some girl and mentions she went to Bullworth Academy. You even see images of the school.

Anyway, I'm incredibly glad there are no ties to GTA in RDR. Considering the time period RDR is set in, there's no way they could have referenced anything from GTA without it seeming incredibly forced. Also, as said above, I think RDR has a bit of a more serious tone than GTA. No having sex with prostitutes, no goofing around in helicopters, nothing as cheesy as the television/radio stations (the newspaper and cinema houses in RDR are light hearted, but not outright corny).

Hell, the only part of RDR that came close to GTA standards was the
sex scene
, and to be honest, I think it actually hurt the game due to how unnecessary it was. It served absolutely no purpose other than to just remind you that it's a Rockstar game and they can be "edgy" and "risque".

Wiggum2007

Patrick Bateman said:
He takes your scalp.

I guess I picked a good day to wear a hat!

Papercuts said:

I had both the Gentleman's Outfit and the Treasure Hunter Outfit unlocked before that scene. I might go back to an old save and fight through the few missions I need to get to that point again just to see what happens.

My only complaint of the main story line is how they wasted
Luisa. Considering her passion and sincerity, she would have a much more interesting character in the context of the revolution as opposed to Abraham, who to be honest, seemed a like-for-like replacement of the Colonel. Her death was completely pathetic and even worst, there is no follow up to that e.g. no burial, no remorse from John. She never even learnt of Reyes' complete lack of interest for her. I haven't finished the game yet but I was hoping she would become some sort of love interest for John
. I'm thoroughly disappointed with how that went.

With the game being so heavily male orientated in terms of list of characters, even strangers, you become intrigued at any woman that breaks the cliché of invisible girls that are only seem to be there as a backdrop and nothing more. Bonnie, although I haven't seen her for some time, in hindsight is probably one of the most fun characters to hear talk. The absence of interesting girls in the game make it somewhat predictable. We've covered pretty much every type of male character - ranging from the idiotic, the crazed lunatics, the obnoxious, the retarded, the vicious and the wise.

eznark

Banned
The first Landon Rickets mission is retarded, story-wise.

he's a bad ass gun slinger and bank robber, notorious outlaw the entire first part of the game, now all of a sudden "he can't shoot straight" and can only win a gunfight with a peasant or a quale? I've been in about 15 quick draws and won em all, yet supposedly I'm shitty with a gun? This is the type of inconsistencies I hate about Rockstar games

HadesGigas said:
That looks more like the Bollard gang outfit than John's.

TenshiOni said:

I'd say you have a little less under an hr.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Rebel Leader said:
I've made a music video.

The video contains a huge spoiler since it's about the ending of the game. So those who have beaten the game can watch the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrXMq-m29og I hope you enjoy it :D

Awesome vid man. What's the song?

Jeff Stephen said:
That looks more like the Bollard gang outfit than John's.

No that's John's hat. I will be buying my first avatar outfit today. I wish there was a theme for the game too. I really can't get enough of this game.

I'm pretty chuffed with my Avatar to be honest :D

Truelize said:
No that's John's hat. I will be buying my first avatar outfit today. I wish there was a theme for the game too. I really can't get enough of this game.

The best theme is the Castle Crashers Premium Theme. I have a video of it in HD if you like, it's really nice.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Rebel Leader said:
Deadman's Gun by Ashtar Command. Which is in the Official Soundtrack of Red dead redemption.

Cool thanks.

I bought the LE for this game and it says I get a free copy of the soundtrack. Where is this free copy? Is it a download from somewhere? Should there have been a disc? I'm confused.

Volcynika

Truelize said:
Cool thanks.

I bought the LE for this game and it says I get a free copy of the soundtrack. Where is this free copy? Is it a download from somewhere? Should there have been a disc? I'm confused.

Should be a code + the website where you're supposed to input it. Look inside the game case for something with that info.

Pennybags

eznark said:
The first Landon Rickets mission is retarded, story-wise.

he's a bad ass gun slinger and bank robber, notorious outlaw the entire first part of the game, now all of a sudden "he can't shoot straight" and can only win a gunfight with a peasant or a quale? I've been in about 15 quick draws and won em all, yet supposedly I'm shitty with a gun? This is the type of inconsistencies I hate about Rockstar games

The way I interpreted the first Landon Ricketts scene is that
even though Marston is an expert gunslinger, the "legend", Ricketts, sees him as small-time.

Top Bottom