• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

DarkKyo

Pennybags said:
The way I interpreted the first Landon Ricketts scene is that
even though Marston is an expert gunslinger, the "legend", Ricketts, sees him as small-time.
Seeing as how John so easily and mercilessly destroys the lives of those weaker than him, Ricketts was probably basing his character/ability on that. I took it less as "you have no skill" and more as "you can be much better than that."

JustHadToJoin said:
wow, those people who think that the music that plays when you first enter mexico is even worth mentioning are crazy
You must have known it was coming. I didn't and it blew me away.

... Speaking of which, it should really be considered a spoiler here but I've seen it over and over again in this thread.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'm having a bit of trouble with Sharpshooter challenge 8, where you have to shoot 2 hats off and disarm 2 people. Shooting hats off is no problem, but disarming doesn't seem to register properly. No blood so I know I hit the weapon and not the hand/arm. The meter is stuck at 3/4 so I assume one disarm actually counted somehow.

Guess I'll have to try to find a duel or cheat at poker.

Gribbix

eznark said:
The first Landon Rickets mission is retarded, story-wise.

he's a bad ass gun slinger and bank robber, notorious outlaw the entire first part of the game, now all of a sudden "he can't shoot straight" and can only win a gunfight with a peasant or a quale? I've been in about 15 quick draws and won em all, yet supposedly I'm shitty with a gun? This is the type of inconsistencies I hate about Rockstar games
I took it more as a comment on your current level of dead-eye. He says you're "sloppy" which is true at that point since you only have level 2 dead-eye which automatically targets anything your crosshair passes over including civilians.

Drahcir

ShockingAlberto said:
It took me forever to figure out how to duel.

I still don't know how to properly duel. As soon as the duel starts and goes to dead eye, I pull and aim high. I know those blue and red meters on the right side of the screen means something, but I have no idea what they are.

Drahcir said:
I still don't know how to properly duel. As soon as the duel starts and goes to dead eye, I pull and aim high. I know those blue and red meters on the right side of the screen means something, but I have no idea what they are.

They fill up based on how many well aimed shots you've targeted. Ideally you want to either A) get 1 white cross hair on their gun hand or B) get 1 to 9 white cross hairs on their head.

Drahcir said:
The way I understand it, the longer you take to pull your gun, the bigger boost you'll get to your bar. Then you just paint whatever part you want to shoot him (arms, chest, head, whatever, but the only significant differences are between gun/arm and everything else) with RT. As long as your bar is higher, you win.

You also get more bar per shot if you wait until the cursor turns white before you hit RT. I just choose to hammer it like mad, but if you're trying to disarm, it may help with accuracy.

Basically, wait a little while before you pull, but not long enough that he shoots before you can fill up your bar a bit.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Truelize said:
Cool thanks.

I bought the LE for this game and it says I get a free copy of the soundtrack. Where is this free copy? Is it a download from somewhere? Should there have been a disc? I'm confused.

isn't there a website somewhere on the voucher?

Dragnet

Tempy said:
I'm having a bit of trouble with Sharpshooter challenge 8, where you have to shoot 2 hats off and disarm 2 people. Shooting hats off is no problem, but disarming doesn't seem to register properly. No blood so I know I hit the weapon and not the hand/arm. The meter is stuck at 3/4 so I assume one disarm actually counted somehow.

Guess I'll have to try to find a duel or cheat at poker.

I had the exact same issue. Turns out you don't have to be in a duel to disarm someone..

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Dragnet said:
I had the exact same issue. Turns out you don't have to be in a duel to disarm someone..

I've been trying outside of duels. I even try to get a side shot so that I'm sure there's no flesh behind the gun I'm targetting. Won't register.

Dragnet

Tempy said:
I've been trying outside of duels. I even try to get a side shot so that I'm sure there's no flesh behind the gun I'm targetting. Won't register.

Are you doing it manually or marking with the dead eye?

Arrrgh how hard is it to just make it so you appear back on shore if you fall in the water? Just lost so much progress because I turned around too wide on a dock and fell in shallow water. Now it put me back half way across the map all because apparently John Marston's boots are cement blocks.

Anyway, apart from John Marston being the baddest-ass cowboy who can't afford a pair of floaties, I'm loving the game.

BigAT

Just beat it, 95.5% complete. Thoughts, and questions, on the ending below:

Unfortunately, I had the end completely spoiled for me. I was looking at Giant Bomb a couple of days ago and the first topic under "Topics From Your Favorite Forums" on the front page was something to the effect of "JOHN MARSTON DIES AT THE END!" Boo.

So that kind of put a damper on what would have otherwise been a very powerful ending. It was still very well executed, especially the part of opening the barn doors and trying in vain to target all the law men. Rockstar did a fantastic job of conveying the absolute desperation of the situation.

I think I like the decision to go with Jack afterwards. It's a move that will likely draw some criticism, but I think it's a brave decision by the developers. I'm still a bit surprised they did it from a logistics point. To record a second voice actor with all the lines necessary for a main character is probably quite a bit of work.

It appears that Abagail dies only 3 years after John dies? (1914 on her tombstone vs. 1911 on his) Bummer. Is there any explanation, in-game or otherwise, for her death?

I've only been following this thread a little, but I hear there are multiple endings. What is the functionality of that?

So while doing the Hunter challenge
Kill a bear with your knife,
I had to kill 14 Bear adds. The 15th got me. This challenge is such bullshit. Hard for all the wrong reasons.

soldat7

UrbanRats said:
I like Jose Gonzales and this song is beautiful, but it felt unnatural to me in the game.. maybe because i was so concentrated on doing NOTHING strange to make sure it didn't interrupt. :lol

I did something and it stopped, so I replayed the whole raft sequence again so I could listen to it. :lol

It felt like a nice break honestly. Just me and my horse at sundown. It fit very well for me.

PedroLumpy said:
I had to kill 14 Bear adds. The 15th got me. This challenge is such bullshit. Hard for all the wrong reasons.

Hold up, adds? You got 15 bears coming at you at once?

Jtrizzy

gah the mission with Irish where
get the ammo then leave with irish
freezes my system every time and I can't get past it.

DogWelder

Ending spoilers:

Did anyone else kill Ross' wife and brother at the end? God damn, I was pissed when John died, I'm glad I had the Mauser Pistol equipped when I talked to Ross. Felt good unloaded the entire 15 round clip in that motherfucker.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Urgh, I'm trying to finish this up but the game won't let me. "So and so isn't here now, check back later." So I check back later... "You must visit between 11 and 5." So I save to pass time. "So and so isn't here now, check back later."

So stupid.

Also I think my game bugged or something because, for the Bandito outfit, whenever I try to play Liar's Dice in Casa Matgruda or whatever the whole room, poker table, dice table, and bar is deserted. I've checked like 5 different times.

esc said:
Ending spoilers:

Did anyone else kill Ross' wife and brother at the end? God damn, I was pissed when John died, I'm glad I had the Mauser Pistol equipped when I talked to Ross. Felt good unloaded the entire 15 round clip in that motherfucker.

I thought about it.
Felt bad for the wife though. What she said about letting him retire in peace was basically what John wanted...

eznark

Banned
Pennybags said:
The way I interpreted the first Landon Ricketts scene is that
even though Marston is an expert gunslinger, the "legend", Ricketts, sees him as small-time.
I tried to interpret it that way too, but it doesn't work. The dialog, the interaction...it just falls apart.

Dragnet

HadesGigas said:
I thought about it.
Felt bad for the wife though. What she said about letting him retire in peace was basically what John wanted...

Same, but I thought it'd be nice if
I killed everyone in his family just to hurt him more..bastard.

Drahcir

TheNiX said:
They fill up based on how many well aimed shots you've targeted. Ideally you want to either A) get 1 white cross hair on their gun hand or B) get 1 to 9 white cross hairs on their head.

ShockingAlberto said:
The way I understand it, the longer you take to pull your gun, the bigger boost you'll get to your bar. Then you just paint whatever part you want to shoot him (arms, chest, head, whatever, but the only significant differences are between gun/arm and everything else) with RT. As long as your bar is higher, you win.

You also get more bar per shot if you wait until the cursor turns white before you hit RT. I just choose to hammer it like mad, but if you're trying to disarm, it may help with accuracy.

Basically, wait a little while before you pull, but not long enough that he shoots before you can fill up your bar a bit.

Thanks for the clarifications and tips! Even though duels are in dead eye mode, it just feels so quick. I will try to wait on pulling first next time. I also didn't know the white cross hairs meant optimal targets. Kind of wish the manual was a little more detailed.

Aspiring

I dont know what it is, if its the Setting, story, the fact that unlike Niko, John is a very likeable character or what but this game is amazing. I was so standoffish, but now i cant put it down. And trust me, i hated finishing off GTA4. I have Alan Wake, L4D2, ODST, Gears 2, Shadow Complex, Bad Company 2 all sitting there either waiting to be played or not played much at all, and i just cant put this down. I urge those who hated GTA to give this a try. So freaking awesome. So far my GOTY.

Max

I am not Max
Aspiring said:
I dont know what it is, if its the Setting, story, the fact that unlike Niko, John is a very likeable character or what but this game is amazing. I was so standoffish, but now i cant put it down. And trust me, i hated finishing off GTA4. I have Alan Wake, L4D2, ODST, Gears 2, Shadow Complex, Bad Company 2 all sitting there either waiting to be played or not played much at all, and i just cant put this down. I urge those who hated GTA to give this a try. So freaking awesome. So far my GOTY.
Could not agree more.

Online for this game seems kind of crappy, I've never played a multiplayer game before where you basically have absolutely no chance to win against other players as soon as you start. I was gunned down within 5 seconds of spawning the first time I played. Then I had some guy snipe me from like a mile away. I don't have a problem if a game makes you level up to earn more unlocks, but it seems like it's overly harsh on new players. Doesn't really make me want to spend more time with the multiplayer.

AnimatorZombie

Neo Member
PedroLumpy said:

Put like 8 shots from a pistol into the body. Lasso stun. Run up and knife. Took like 1 minute.

blanky

PedroLumpy said:

There's a way to go about this though, unless that is what you tried. But you have to soften the bear up (8 rounds with the mauser on my try) than lasso the bugger, it will get stunned. You'll have time to whip out your knife and atleast hit it once. Then get the lasso out and rinse and repeat until death. Shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 times.

beaten :D

Loxley

When I was working on the hunting challenges, there was actually a point where I was chasing a bear on foot with my knife out. The thing just didn't want to have anything to do with me, I kept getting the idea he was growling "LET'S TALK ABOUT THIS". I swear I had to run up to maximum speed and knife him in the ass 13 times before he finally died.

That little chase lasted nearly five minutes, which is a long time when you consider how quickly I could have just shot him in the ass 13 times.

UrbanRats

So i was walking in
Mexico
and i find out something almost grotesque
I was walkin' at the edge of a giant mountain's shadow and i noticed that, as i walked on, the shadow(i.e. the time)was moving pretty fast so i stop'd to look better and the shadow also stopped(almost, it was moving really slow)i started walking again and the shadow started moving faster again! So i skinned an animal and the shadow increased drastically!
So if you walk, time goes on much faster(contrary to what Einstein tells us :lol )i lol'd and now i cannot unsee it. :D

Drahcir said:
Thanks for the clarifications and tips! Even though duels are in dead eye mode, it just feels so quick. I will try to wait on pulling first next time. I also didn't know the white cross hairs meant optimal targets. Kind of wish the manual was a little more detailed.

The trick is to always wait until the screen says 'draw'. If you draw first as soon as you go into duel mode you will lose. The duels in the first area are pretty easy, but once you get to Mexico it seems like the gunslingers are much better.

Side note, does anyone have any tips for five finger fillet? I'm trying to get an outfit scrap but I have to win like five times at this one place.

UrbanRats

GillianSeed79 said:
The trick is to always wait until the screen says 'draw'. If you draw first as soon as you go into duel mode you will lose. The duels in the first area are pretty easy, but once you get to Mexico it seems like the gunslingers are much better.

Side note, does anyone have any tips for five finger fillet? I'm trying to get an outfit scrap but I have to win like five times at this one place.
memorize the sequence and then look at the pad, not at the screen.

KaYotiX

Banned
rainking187 said:
Online for this game seems kind of crappy, I've never played a multiplayer game before where you basically have absolutely no chance to win against other players as soon as you start. I was gunned down within 5 seconds of spawning the first time I played. Then I had some guy snipe me from like a mile away. I don't have a problem if a game makes you level up to earn more unlocks, but it seems like it's overly harsh on new players. Doesn't really make me want to spend more time with the multiplayer.

it is crappy,i usually just do private free roams or join a few friends so i dont get camped by idiots.

Jtrizzy

I guess my PS3 is dying, the game freezes every time I play. Guess I'll try another mission and see if that has anything to do with it.

Also, is there a trick to stealing a card when playing poker?

Top Bottom