• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

In it's current iteration I see no chance for this MP to succeed. A lot of people aren't going to want to level to 20 or 24 in lock on mode or whatever just so they can play "hardcore" mode. Stupid idea.

bunbun777

KaYotiX said:
it is crappy,i usually just do private free roams or join a few friends so i dont get camped by idiots.

I really am glad they made the ability to have private sessions. Otherwise, I might actually feel bad for all the noobs that get shot over and over while trying to call their horse or sneak away. Yes, I am one of those idiots- and I also gather herbs when not clearing band hideouts... join my posse or reap the whirlwind murphy.

Marvie_3

Banned
PedroLumpy said:
So while doing the Hunter challenge
Kill a bear with your knife,
I had to kill 14 Bear adds. The 15th got me. This challenge is such bullshit. Hard for all the wrong reasons.
When I did it, I shot the bear once in the face with the buffalo rifle. It got scared and started running away. Since it had killed my horse, I took off after it on foot. I had no idea you could lasso a bear, so I chased it for at least a mile, slashing it everytime I got close. :lol

zero margin said:
Hold up, adds? You got 15 bears coming at you at once?

Most I had was 4 at a time, the place I was trying to fight was so littered with corpses I had to move somewhere else.

AnimatorZombie said:
Put like 8 shots from a pistol into the body. Lasso stun. Run up and knife. Took like 1 minute.

Yeah, I ended up Googling strategies and ended up doing one Springfield round to face, then one knife.

Stupid that that works, but whatever, Legend of the West outfit get!

Marvie_3 said:
When I did it, I shot the bear once in the face with the buffalo rifle. It got scared and started running away. Since it had killed my horse, I took off after it on foot. I had no idea you could lasso a bear, so I chased it for at least a mile, slashing it everytime I got close. :lol

I did something fairly similar. I gotta try lassoing a bear though.

zero margin said:
In it's current iteration I see no chance for this MP to succeed. A lot of people aren't going to want to level to 20 or 24 in lock on mode or whatever just so they can play "hardcore" mode. Stupid idea.
You get it at like level 10, that's two free roam hideouts. Also, if someone in the party has it unlocked you can play it as well.

I have Asian PS3 slim and play R3 Red Dead Redemption and the game often confuse X and O button for which is confirm and which is cancel.

in Poker, the on screen prompt said press O to call/raise bet, but pressing O does nothing. X button is supposed to quit the poker mini game, but pressing X button is now call/raise bet while at the same time bringing out the 'do you want to quit' message. so now every time I want to make a bet, I have to press X twice, one to make a bet and at the same time quitting poker, and 2nd time to cancel quitting poker and back into the game.

I google around for this problem and heard other people had the same problem. apparently it also happened in item store where quitting the store will also buy the item you last selected

This is ridiculous, I can't believe a developer as Rockstar caliber manage to overlook these mistakes. it's not like I have asian ps3 and play imported games.

this happened before with Just Cause 2 demo where the game confuse the O/X button function, but I rationalize because I was playing US demo on my Asian ps3.

anyway, I want to know if there's a fix yet, or if Rockstar at least aware of this problem and trying to fix it.

great game btw. the game doesn't look as bad as I thought after looking the comparison thread. not perfect, can see some pop ups and animation glitches I guess, but not too bad.

BigAT

esc said:
Ending spoilers:

Did anyone else kill Ross' wife and brother at the end? God damn, I was pissed when John died, I'm glad I had the Mauser Pistol equipped when I talked to Ross. Felt good unloaded the entire 15 round clip in that motherfucker.
I played John like a fairly upstanding outlaw. Pretty much did all the morally correct things, I had full positive honor when I was done.

When I'm handling Jack though, he's out for some serious vengeance. He's burning a path of revenge throughout the countryside. I play him like Keyser Soze is strutting around the Wild West.

Seanspeed

Banned
Mr_Guillotine said:
You get it at like level 10, that's two free roam hideouts.
I've done more than two and I'm only level 9.

You also dont unlock them til level 15 and then 20, I'm pretty sure.

I think its pretty stupid and its gonna turn off a lot of people. I know I haven't done nearly as much as I would have because I dont want to 'grind' to be able to play what I want.

Adam J.

Just finished the main story missions. Wow, that was one hell of a game! Where did the last week go? I haven't been the biggest Rockstar fan in the past, but after experiencing this instant-classic of a game, I'm totally on board for any of their next sandbox titles. Bring on L.A. Noire!

comrade

GillianSeed79 said:
The trick is to always wait until the screen says 'draw'. If you draw first as soon as you go into duel mode you will lose. The duels in the first area are pretty easy, but once you get to Mexico it seems like the gunslingers are much better.

Side note, does anyone have any tips for five finger fillet? I'm trying to get an outfit scrap but I have to win like five times at this one place.
This isn't true at all. You can draw as fast as you want and still win. You just need to learn how the mechanic works.

The faster you duel the bigger your crosshair is. Your crosshair starts off big and gets smaller and keeps repeating this. At the smallest point of the crosshair a single headshot almost fills up the entire bar on the right. A single shot to the right arm with the crosshair at its smallest part I believe can fill up the entire bar in a single shot and you automatically win(disarm the opponent).

The person with the most bar filled up wins the duel regardless of the amount of shots used.

I usually put 1-2 shots on the head depending on how much I've filled up the bar after the first shot. It's pretty satisfying to only use 1 headshot.

AnimatorZombie

Neo Member
(ending spoiler)

Was anybody else disappointed that
the world hadn't changed at all in the "future" jack version? I totally expected cars to be scooting around everywhere when I got back to Blackwater. Would have been nice if there was like more activity in BW and towns like Armadillo became more of a ghost town. The newspaper wrapping up everyones stories was a great touch though.

AnimatorZombie said:
(ending spoiler)

Was anybody else disappointed that
the world hadn't changed at all in the "future" jack version? I totally expected cars to be scooting around everywhere when I got back to Blackwater. Would have been nice if there was like more activity in BW and towns like Armadillo became more of a ghost town. The newspaper wrapping up everyones stories was a great touch though.

I don't mind that the towns didn't change, what I don't like is the banter is all the same. People having background conversations about things that happened three years ago like they just happened. In some cases talking about them like they didn't happen yet (in Armadillo people still mention "if Johns gets elected governor he will..." even though he gets elected pretty early in the game and is thrown out of office after the timeskip for corruption)

Dragnet

suEcide said:
Does anyone have any clue on where to find beavers in the game?

To the east of
your families ranch
in the 3rd area, you'll find them by the river, just keep heading up and down it about 10-15 feet from the edge, they usually chill in groups of 2 or 3.

Chrange

Banned
The hell...I got the bear one easily. I found a guy riding through the forest in a small coach and followed him. The bears went after him each time and I just ran up and attacked :lol

Dizzle24

Revolutionary said:
So.. what's up with the "biggest fall survived" stats in the game? Mine shows 503ft with a horse and 429ft without... :lol

Hey, if you can fall off a cliff and live, you'd want a record of it! :lol

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm not understanding a bit I need for the Bollard Twins outfit-

It says "search thieves' landing". Without spoiling too much, what does this mean exactly? Am I supposed to be looking through the buildings for something? Is it an interact, or do I have to wait for some "!" mission to open to get this accomplished?

FlyinJ said:
I'm not understanding a bit I need for the Bollard Twins outfit-

It says "search thieves' landing". Without spoiling too much, what does this mean exactly? Am I supposed to be looking through the buildings for something? Is it an interact, or do I have to wait for some "!" mission to open to get this accomplished?
It will be an actual thing you can search. You generally see these things in properties you buy.

Do I need to be more specific? I can tell you exactly where it is.

Dizzle24

Not sure of spoilers for giving hints...but:

Usually means you have to find and search a box or chest. Check the buildings (NOT STORES) and don't let anyone see you if you enter a room that isn't yours! :lol

Or it could be a person you need to interact with. I forgot this one in particular.

Track the outfit quests: Outfit page-->press indicated button to Track-->look at map for purple circled area.

Mr_Guillotine said:
You get it at like level 10, that's two free roam hideouts. Also, if someone in the party has it unlocked you can play it as well.

No you get free for all or something at level 10 but all the real stuff comes at 20 or later. Two free roam hideouts? No. Might get level 3 or 4 and I'm not saying it takes a long time the fact remains you have to get there to even play without lock on.

Dizzle24 said:
Hey, if you can fall off a cliff and live, you'd want a record of it! :lol
Well yeah, but the problem is I don't remember surviving any fall over 50 feet. :lol I don't know where these ~500ft falls came from. I've died from falls like that but survived? What?? :lol

Was just doing one of those bets where a stranger asks you to race him gathering herbs.

I fell off a damn cliff and still beat his slow ass.

So

I accidentally pointed a gun at a stranger and he ran away. The only other choice was letting him get killed by a wolf.

It was the "I Know You" guy for the third time

Is there any chance he's coming back or am I fucked?

HadesGigas said:
Was just doing one of those bets where a stranger asks you to race him gathering herbs.

I fell off a damn cliff and still beat his slow ass.

I did one of these the other day and he got mauled mauled to death by wolves before getting a single herb.

So I was wondering if this is a glitch or not. After the last mission in Mexico, I went to Escalara and all the guards kept shooting at me (did not provoke them in any way). Is that supposed to happen or is it a glitch? If so, I don't understand why.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
JustHadToJoin said:
wow, those people who think that the music that plays when you first enter mexico is even worth mentioning are crazy

I agree (sorta). I just did that part and I remembered everyone talking about it so I was kind of excited. I also remembered people saying if you got off your horse it wouldn't play. Which is exactly what I did, like a jackass. There's those 2 guys RIGHT THERE, of course I"m gonna go loot. I debated whether or not to reload a save, but the mission I just did was kinda long and I was actually having a little trouble with it so I didn't bother. So I checked it out on youtube and was like.... really? This cheesy ass shit was what everyone was all excited about?

That said, it probably would have been totally cool if I didn't know it was coming and it just unfolded naturally. Why in the world did they make it so it cancels it out when you get off your horse? Seems like a massive oversight.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The way characters drop in and out of this story is really not done very professionally. You meet someone, you do random missions for them for two hours, and then you never hear from them again. Rockstar is never going to learn. With Gay Tony and Lost and Damned, you had a small, focused cast of characters that were with the main character for almost the entire story, and if they did disappear, it's because you killed them. With all of the long-form GTAs, the same pattern exists. It's hard to even figure out why you're working with some people some of the time: you either just met them or their liaison with you has been gone for 10+ hours.

If a particular character doesn't reappear by the end of the game (and I think I'm 70% through), then I'm going to be completely shocked.

I believe Rockstar needs to take a big step back and examine its cinematic ambitions here. The gameplay and the narrative are more out of whack here than in any other game I can remember of theirs.

Lolligag

I thought the American Standard-Bred horse was suppose to be hard to find. At least that's what I keep reading.

I was hunting beavers at the very north part of the river, the sun just rose and oh look. There's 2 of them running around me.

End game spoilers:

I like how rude Jack is to hookers who proposition him compared to John's "I'd like to miss, but I'm married" or "Sorry, those days are over for me."

Heard Jack say "Sorry, you're a bit old for me." and "Sorry, I don't need a case of crotch rot right now."

bathala

Banned
Lolligag said:
I thought the American Standard-Bred horse was suppose to be hard to find. At least that's what I keep reading.

I was hunting beavers at the very north part of the river, the sun just rose and oh look. There's 2 of them running around me.
same here. I found them by the mountains and there were three of them

Done with the Hunter Challenge for killing the 2 cougars with a knife. These are pathetic little pussies :lol One shot with my trusted Winchester and they run away, so I can easily stab them with my knife, after lassoing them.

The last act - in its narrative and tone - was pretty bold of Rockstar. Also, does RDR have the longest late title card in gaming? I can't remember it in the intro.

Mojojo

HadesGigas said:
End game spoilers:

I like how rude Jack is to hookers who proposition him compared to John's "I'd like to miss, but I'm married" or "Sorry, those days are over for me."

Heard Jack say "Sorry, you're a bit old for me." and "Sorry, I don't need a case of crotch rot right now."

Yea, I like too when i first skinned an animal with Jack, he says 'Just like you taught me Pa' .. :_(

Not a fan of Hunter Challenges 9 & 10.

Why would they highlight the target on the map? Made the hunt that much easier and less about a hunt but more about going to a spot on the map. The only one that didn't highlight was the bear, but because I knew where he would be (did the Treasure beforehand), I got the jump on him anyway.

Costanza said:
That music was kind of jarring imo, don't think I liked it
I didn't like it either, seemed to me that it was out of place

Lolligag said:

well, they are hard to find if you don't have the third area unlocked

SamuraiX-

I having some crazy ass bug going on when trying to get the Walton's Gang Outfit... or at least I think it's a bug?

When attempting to do Scrap 1: Search Solomon's Folly. I approach the hideout, kill the guys, take the safe back to Armadillo. The problem is... I've done this three times already... and it still doesn't cross off the Scrap 1 in my checklist and acts as if the mission was never completed... Has this happened to anyone else?

Timber

ShockingAlberto said:
So

I accidentally pointed a gun at a stranger and he ran away. The only other choice was letting him get killed by a wolf.

It was the "I Know You" guy for the third time

Is there any chance he's coming back or am I fucked?
i mistook the Flowers for a Lady dude for big game and took aim at him. a message popped up saying i'd failed the mission, but a few in-game days later i could take it up again. not sure if it works exactly the same way in your situation, but for your sake i hope it does.

Greg

SamuraiX- said:
I having some crazy ass bug going on when trying to get the Walton's Gang Outfit... or at least I think it's a bug?

When attempting to do Scrap 1: Search Solomon's Folly. I approach the hideout, kill the guys, take the safe back to Armadillo. The problem is... I've done this three times already... and it still doesn't cross off the Scrap 1 in my checklist and acts as if the mission was never completed... Has this happened to anyone else?
Nope, not a bug.

The scrap is found in a box at the bottom of a cellar at Solomon's Folly.

SamuraiX-

Greg said:
Nope, not a bug.

The scrap is found in a box at the bottom of a cellar at Solomon's Folly.

Ahhhhh LOL so I was doing it all wrong XD

Thanks so much man. You saved me from any further headaches.

Top Bottom