• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

GillianSeed79 said:
:

Side note, does anyone have any tips for five finger fillet? I'm trying to get an outfit scrap but I have to win like five times at this one place.

- Don't raise the bets.
- Write down the patterns for the last two guys, they're the only difficult ones (X O X /\ X O etc. I would do it but I'm a bit late for work - I'll post them later).
- Turn off the sound.
- Don't look a the screen, just at the controller and the pattern, because you have to be pretty fast in the end.
- ???
- Profit.

That's how I did it after 15 unsuccessful tries.

WEGGLES

End game spoilers

Cried manly tears when Deadman's Gun started to play as the credits rolled

Such a bummer John died. But it totally caught me off guard. I remember looking up how to buy the military scrap on GFAQs since it wouldn't let me buy it and someone was like

YOU CAN BUY IT WHEN YOU BEAT THE GAME AND JOHN DIES YOU BUY IT WHILE PLAYING AS HIS SON CAUSE JOHN IS DEAD

and I was like "Yeah fuckin right buddy.... :lol "

Then on the last mission the army comes and I was like fuck... but I took them all out and it was all cool... then round 2. Then John is in the barn.... :'[

MrSerrels said:
Fucking horseshoes. Fucking that fucking game.

For sure.

So annoying. Having so much to skip all the time. >:[

And I got a ringer, but it didn't count it... so I had to get 2. My first ringer the shoe was actually hanging on the post.

knitoe

BaronLundi said:
- Don't raise the bets.
- Write down the patterns for the last two guys, they're the only difficult ones (X O X /\ X O etc. I would do it but I'm a bit late for work - I'll post them later).
- Turn off the sound.
- Don't look a the screen, just at the controller and the pattern, because you have to be pretty fast in the end.
- ???
- Profit.

That's how I did it after 15 unsuccessful tries.
Found an easier way to face just one guy. Lasso and hogtie a guy standing in line. There will be a commotion and you won't be attack, but you won't be able to start the game. All you have to do is leave the area, just require walking short distant. Come back and you can play the game again, but with 1 less guy in line while the guy is still tied up. Keep on doing this until you only have 1 guy playing. Bet will be auto set to 25, hard, but is doable.

BPK

So is the multiplayer for this game any good? IGN was really touting it in their videos. Still, the normal auto-aim is a major turn-off. Interested in hearing some impressions.

MrSerrels

WEGGLES said:
For sure.

So annoying. Having so much to skip all the time. >:[

And I got a ringer, but it didn't count it... so I had to get 2. My first ringer the shoe was actually hanging on the post.

It just feels so inconsistent. I need to win at least one game for that fucking suit. I don't even know why I care about those retarded suits. I just do.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Man, I actually wish they would sell horse armor for this gave. I've been riding with an all white horse for awhile now and I'm gonna be bummed out when he gets killed.

Anyways, is there a guide available that'll show me what costumes there are and how to get them? I only have a few so far, John needs a new look.

ps - this game is so good, it's all I've played since I got it a week ago and I'm still enjoying every moment.

WEGGLES

MrSerrels said:
It just feels so inconsistent. I need to win at least one game for that fucking suit. I don't even know why I care about those retarded suits. I just do.
What suit?

And just bet a dollar. The guy will just goon the horseshoe all over the place.

ElyrionX said:
How do I get more pistol ammo?

Buy at the store.
Loot bodies
Chest in safe houses gives ammo for all guns.

Snuggler said:
Man, I actually wish they would sell horse armor for this gave. I've been riding with an all white horse for awhile now and I'm gonna be bummed out when he gets killed.

Anyways, is there a guide available that'll show me what costumes there are and how to get them? I only have a few so far, John needs a new look.

ps - this game is so good, it's all I've played since I got it a week ago and I'm still enjoying every moment.
this might help

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Outfits

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/rdr/checklist.html

ElyrionX

WEGGLES said:
What suit?

And just bet a dollar. The guy will just goon the horseshoe all over the place.

Buy at the store.
Loot bodies
Chest in safe houses gives ammo for all guns.

I get revolver, shotgun and repeater ammo but not pistol ammo from the chests in safe houses.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm an ammo hog so I just buy all of it from the stores whenever I'm in a town.
The only type that I never have to buy is repeater ammo because I don't use one anymore, it's been maxed out for the last several hours.

WEGGLES

ElyrionX said:
I get revolver, shotgun and repeater ammo but not pistol ammo from the chests in safe houses.
You sure it doesn't give pistol ammo?

I thought they gave a little bit of ammo for each.

If you come across an enemy using a pistol be sure to loot them, they'll likely have more ammo on them when you loot them.

Naeblish

Ugh, i read that the Legend of the West outfit is not worth it, and now i'm suddenly bored as fuck in the game. I'm in Mexico and there is nothing interesting to do but the main missions.

Truant

Regarding the ending:

I really feel that the barn scene is bordering on a narrative bullet. I've taken out twice that amount of guys at the same time before. Had that section been playable, he would have at least survived that encounter. I get that they wanted to show that he was finally fighting an enemy that never stops, but still.

Tokubetsu

Truant said:
Regarding the ending:

I really feel that the barn scene is bordering on a narrative bullet. I've taken out twice that amount of guys at the same time before. Had that section been playable, he would have at least survived that encounter. I get that they wanted to show that he was finally fighting an enemy that never stops, but still.

But did you take them out with no cover and them being all right in front of you?

Dragnet

Truant said:
Regarding the ending:

Don't talk shit.

peetfeet

Has anybody else been having problems creating a private lobby in the last 12 hours or so?

My friend created one last night and invited me, immeadiatly after it was created another guy show up, then another, another... until there were 8 or so of us.. I thought he had created a public one by mistake so I quit out to make my own and exactly the same thing happened. As soon as i was in my private lobby another guy was there. I pressed select and on the menu it had the option to change to a public one so obviously the game thought i was in a private one but was still letting in randoms, which is a fucking pain when after bounty challenges etc

I hasn't done this before....

WEGGLES

Truant said:
Regarding the ending:

Yeah, Had me thinking "oh he'll climb up to the hay loft and get them from there I got full dead Eye 200 repeater shots an the buffalo rifle and 8 TNT sticks..."

Either way if he survived that, then what? He takes over all of America? Kills the whole army?

I think it was their way of showing John was done with fighting, in the same way Dutch was. That he was a thing of the past and he didn't want to danger his family any more.

Dead Man

Tokubetsu said:
But did you take them out with no cover and them being all right in front of you?
Go out the back of the barn? It was a pretty forced moment, I just assumed John knew they wouldn't quit until he was dead, so he decided to go out then.

WEGGLES said:
You sure it doesn't give pistol ammo?

I thought they gave a little bit of ammo for each.

If you come across an enemy using a pistol be sure to loot them, they'll likely have more ammo on them when you loot them.
I think it only gives ammo for the type you have selected. So if you have a revolver and repeater, it will give ammo in those types, along with the others where only a single type is available. If that makes any sense.

Roxas

Fuck! I just walked into Thieves Den, and everyone starts shooting at me. So i defend myself and waste them all, and each time i lose 50 Honor. :\

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
idahoblue said:
Go out the back of the barn? It was a pretty forced moment, I just assumed John knew they wouldn't quit until he was dead, so he decided to go out then.

I also had a problem with this scene. By him doing this, he caused his son to continue the cycle of violence and essentially doomed his wife. Also, you can shoot down the two federal guys...and they will still be there in the end cutscene. OOPS.

Huh

That's the first time the game mechanics have screwed me

I was at that "surprise" carriage event where four guys try to rob you

I opened dead eye, shot all four, and two more got up. I tried to shoot them, but every time I brought the targeting up, it locked on to the horses next to them, not at the guys shooting at me.

Ended up dying because, hey, why would I need to kill guys when DANGEROUS HORSES are idling nearby!

WEGGLES

Roxas said:
Fuck! I just walked into Thieves Den, and everyone starts shooting at me. So i defend myself and waste them all, and each time i lose 50 Honor. :\
Well, of course they all attacked you. When you first get to the Thieves Den you gotta clear out all the skeletons and such before it truly is yours. But that's TES IV: Oblivion.

...unless you were talking about Theives Landing :lol

bathala

Banned
wooooo that was exhausting.

finally completed all the challenges. the final Master Hunter was the best, but getting there was a pain in the ass

one more hunting mission and rouglhy 3 or 4 treasure hunting quests and I have all the challenges done... also after that just need to do a few more things to get all costumes...

I really hope there's single player DLC later that adds challenges as well...

Tr4nce

m0ngo said:
lol at the flowers for a lady quest.
"You don't look a day over 30"
:lol :lol :lol

You should really come by on Thursday's. We play bridge then.
:lol

Anyway, does anyone here know whether the small town of Tumbleweed is really haunted or not? The first newspaper in Armadillo stated something like that, and the Red Dead Wiki says that some people claim to heave heard strange noises there at night.

Would be awesome|

knitoe said:
Found an easier way to face just one guy. Lasso and hogtie a guy standing in line. There will be a commotion and you won't be attack, but you won't be able to start the game. All you have to do is leave the area, just require walking short distant. Come back and you can play the game again, but with 1 less guy in line while the guy is still tied up. Keep on doing this until you only have 1 guy playing. Bet will be auto set to 25, hard, but is doable.
Heh, that's kinda awesome. :lol

knitoe said:

Good thinking out of the box :D , although it wouldn't work for me since the last one is by far the hardest of the bunch and I already had trouble with the 10$ one.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
fuck guys. My playstation died. I was planning on getting it for my PS3 :(
But I also have a 360 and I just bought this for my 360, so the fucking joke is on you life!

Can't believe this was sold out on Amazon. Now i have to wait an extra 4 days to play it :(

TTG

Just finished it, so many things to discuss... but I'm sure they've been mentioned. Needless to say, the best Rockstar game from a technical stand point. But, also my favorite. It didn't have the memorable cast that GTAIV did(other than Marston's family and Bonnie) but the over all world and story resonated more with me. Finally, I think this is one of the best endings to a game I've ever had the pleasure of playing and that seems to be the one thing that's fumbled around so much nowadays.

I would consider everything from the point you kill Dutch to be the beginning of the end. The "home" missions were a brilliant thing to do. Complete changed of pace, filled in so much of the story.
Amazing denouement(think of how many times you can even use that word when describing a videogame).

I have a couple of games laying around that I need to get to, but I'll be back for the online modes, I hope GAF community keeps strong until I can get back to it. Also need to catch all the bounties for the 100% apparently, that's all that I have left.

Truant

Endgame:

I finished one quest after John died that I had started on when he still was alive, and the person had turned into an old woman. Did they do this for all the stranger missions?

Also,

'Heck, he was old when I was a kid!'

That comment got me to laugh out loud for the first time in a game, since Portal.

TTG

idahoblue said:

I saw it as him protecting his family. Anytime you have to kill a main character that lays waste to whole gangs on a regular basis it's gonna be hard to do. Most of the time it feels cheap and forced, I thought they did a good job with it. John was protecting his family from immediate and future danger. Ofcourse you could say he could of snuck out and went into hiding in Mexico, or whatever, but it is what it is. I didn't think twice about the way it was handled until I read your post.

Y2Kev said:
I believe Rockstar needs to take a big step back and examine its cinematic ambitions here. The gameplay and the narrative are more out of whack here than in any other game I can remember of theirs.
Particularly jarring after playing Alan Wake.

MMaRsu

ShockingAlberto said:
Huh

That's the first time the game mechanics have screwed me

I was at that "surprise" carriage event where four guys try to rob you

I opened dead eye, shot all four, and two more got up. I tried to shoot them, but every time I brought the targeting up, it locked on to the horses next to them, not at the guys shooting at me.

Ended up dying because, hey, why would I need to kill guys when DANGEROUS HORSES are idling nearby!

That's what you get for using auto aim :p

Just finished the game. Loved the ending. I'm really surprised at how much Rockstar put into the end of the game... really the beginning and end of the game is incredible. The only part that dragged for me was the
latter half of Mexico

Ending thoughts/spoilers:
So sad that John died. It was a great move, and I could feel it coming, but somehow I expected Rockstar to avoid it. But like a true western they pulled it off. Story-wise it absolutely had to happen. Letting you play as Jack and get "redemption" was great. I should've known it would be a final duel though... I wanted to hogtie Ross and take him to his dead wife, and then drown him in the lake :lol

Lastly -- I felt so bad for Bonnie! I liked her a lot and wanted John to be with her. Guess it wasn't meant to be. But I wish there was more with her in it... one of the better characters in the game and one that I actually cared about -- the noose mission with her had me in a real hurry to free her.

On the characters: I agree that Rockstar needs to find a way to balance more of their characters. I thought a lot of the characters at the end were awesome --
the lawmen Ross and Fordham, and I really liked Dutch, Jack and Abigail, etc.
. But it really just seems so unlikely for John to bother with chumps like
West Dickens, and Seth.
They feel like "GTA" characters almost...

And that really leads me to my last thought for now. This game is really leagues ahead of GTA in pretty much every aspect. With each GTA game I end up getting sucked into the hype and finding myself trudging through a joyless game, where finishing it becomes a chore. Not so with RDR. I wanted more, more -- and when the end came, it felt right.

I hope they give us some nice expansions for the game, but leave any sequels until the next generation of consoles. Spend a good long time on the followup, because it's going to be one of my most anticipated purchases :D

I just don't understand duels.. I have Dead Eye level 3, but stuff like shooting people straight in the face or shooting off their guns or hats just doesn't work. I just mark them full with crosses like a mad man and shoot them.. :(

But still sometimes it all doesn't work and I get killed, but I don't know why. :(

Top Bottom