• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Taoofberg

Accidentally shot my horse in the back of the head while aiming at a raccoon. Minus fifty honor was salt in the wounds of losing a nice horse.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Ok so after more than a week of being stuck in hospital with no xbox and no internet I manage to get home and finally start playing RDR.

It takes just aver an hour before the game turns brilliant. How? One simple thing. I take out a sniper to hear..... THE WILHELM SCREAM :lol

God yes.

I LOVE THIS GAME.

Patrick Bateman said:
I just don't understand duels.. I have Dead Eye level 3, but stuff like shooting people straight in the face or shooting off their guns or hats just doesn't work. I just mark them full with crosses like a mad man and shoot them.. :(

But still sometimes it all doesn't work and I get killed, but I don't know why. :(

Okay.

LabouredSubterfuge's duelling masterclass:

1. The overall objective is to have the right hand bar more full than your opponent's.
2. As soon as it says 'DRAW' either use LT or use the right stick (i.e. press down).
3. Now use the targeting reticule to aim at the places you want to hit. IMPORTANT NOTE: Some parts of the body fill up the right hand bar more than others e.g. the head.
4. SUPER IMPORTANT BIT: The reticule pulsates with an 'X' shape. It is absolutely vital you use the RT to tag your opponent with crosses when they're WHITE.
5. Doing so will fill up the right hand bar far quicker and fuller than your opponent's and you will win. If you fill up the right hand bar completely you will not lose. You can sit back and enjoy the show!
6. Don't take drugs.

Dead Man

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Okay.

1. The overall objective is to have the right hand bar more full than your opponent's.
2. As soon as it says 'DRAW' either use LT or use the right stick (i.e. press down).
3. Now use the targeting reticule to aim at the places you want to hit. IMPORTANT NOTE: Some parts of the body fill up the right hand bar more than others e.g. the head.
4. SUPER IMPORTANT BIT: The reticule pulsates with an 'X' shape. It is absolutely vital you use the RT to tag your opponent with crosses when they're WHITE.
5. Doing so will fill up the right hand bar far quicker and fuller than your opponent's and you will win. If you fill up the right hand bar completely you will not lose. You can sit back and enjoy the show!
6. Don't take drugs.
Good post, it took me ages to figure out. The lack of instruction in the mechanics of the minigames/techniques/whatever is a bit of problem I think. The gambling games were fine, but I didn't seem to get the instruction to hold onto L2 when lassoing to keep the rope on them, so for an hour I was wondering how the hell I was supposed to get on a wild horse! :lol

Still enjoying the game, but there are a bunch of little things I wish they had done differently. But as I said before, a vast improvement on GTA IV.

I do wish Jack had a different VA, I have had to start a new game since I just can't stand playing with him and all my saves were after you can't change outfits anymore. His voice just gets on my nerves!

Patrick Bateman said:
I just don't understand duels.. I have Dead Eye level 3, but stuff like shooting people straight in the face or shooting off their guns or hats just doesn't work. I just mark them full with crosses like a mad man and shoot them.. :(

But still sometimes it all doesn't work and I get killed, but I don't know why. :(

Are you making sure the crosses are white and not red when you fire/paint ? That's how you fill the blue bar which ensures a win. If you're mashing, even while aiming at the head, you'll probably end up losing.

Edit : beaten by a more comprehensive explanation.

Just to confirm, you are able to continue roaming and doing side missions after you complete the main story right? Because I accidentally clicked on a spoiler video yesterday which led me to believe otherwise

timetokill said:
Just finished the game. Loved the ending. I'm really surprised at how much Rockstar put into the end of the game... really the beginning and end of the game is incredible. The only part that dragged for me was the
latter half of Mexico

Ending thoughts/spoilers:
So sad that John died. It was a great move, and I could feel it coming, but somehow I expected Rockstar to avoid it. But like a true western they pulled it off. Story-wise it absolutely had to happen. Letting you play as Jack and get "redemption" was great. I should've known it would be a final duel though... I wanted to hogtie Ross and take him to his dead wife, and then drown him in the lake :lol

Lastly -- I felt so bad for Bonnie! I liked her a lot and wanted John to be with her. Guess it wasn't meant to be. But I wish there was more with her in it... one of the better characters in the game and one that I actually cared about -- the noose mission with her had me in a real hurry to free her.

On the characters: I agree that Rockstar needs to find a way to balance more of their characters. I thought a lot of the characters at the end were awesome --
the lawmen Ross and Fordham, and I really liked Dutch, Jack and Abigail, etc.
. But it really just seems so unlikely for John to bother with chumps like
West Dickens, and Seth.
They feel like "GTA" characters almost...

And that really leads me to my last thought for now. This game is really leagues ahead of GTA in pretty much every aspect. With each GTA game I end up getting sucked into the hype and finding myself trudging through a joyless game, where finishing it becomes a chore. Not so with RDR. I wanted more, more -- and when the end came, it felt right.

I hope they give us some nice expansions for the game, but leave any sequels until the next generation of consoles. Spend a good long time on the followup, because it's going to be one of my most anticipated purchases :D

Oh, and to add to this -- re: the ending -- are you able to
disarm Ross at the end and then do as you please
? My guess is no because it would kind of ruin the
end title stuff

Dead Man

Meus Renaissance said:
Just to confirm, you are able to continue roaming and doing side missions after you complete the main story right? Because I accidentally clicked on a spoiler video yesterday which led me to believe otherwise
Yep, progress is kept in all challenges etc as well.

m0ngo said:
lol at the flowers for a lady quest.
"You don't look a day over 30"
:lol :lol :lol
"You'll have to excuse me -- I forgot
I have an appointment with planet earth
." Dude cracked me up, acted just like an old old Robert Duvall. And I guess I should give Rockstar credit on this one, I didn't realize what the joke was until just before the punchline and -- I'm not afraid to admit -- it was chilling. Like scary chilling.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Okay.

6. Don't take drugs.

You don't have to draw when it says so. Waiting till the person actually has their hand on the weapon will actually make you more accurate

Interfectum said:
are there any missable achievements?
Yep.
Spurred to Victory - Complete 20 story missions without switching to a new horse at a hitching post.
I missed that one, so I'll snag it on my next play through.

Darklord

Banned
Why are some guns always unavalible? The buffalo gun has been in the shops since nearly the start of the game but I'm in Mexico now and still can't buy it.

It's fun to induce duels by cheating in poker, shoot off the opponent's hat and disarm him. then when the duel is over push him over, whistle for your horse, mount it, lasso him while he's still on the ground and drag him over to a cliff and swing him off into the valley below.

Darklord said:
Why are some guns always unavalible? The buffalo gun has been in the shops since nearly the start of the game but I'm in Mexico now and still can't buy it.
You need to earn it. It's unlocked as you complete
hunter challenges

Not sure if that's a huge spoiler, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

No45

rasberryjam said:
Yep.
Spurred to Victory - Complete 20 story missions without switching to a new horse at a hitching post.
I missed that one, so I'll snag it on my next play through.
Does that mean you can't hitch the horse at all? Or just that you can't change to a different horse?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Started this one yesterday and yep, awesome game so far, great fun on all accounts. I have a friend playing it right now too and we'll most likely laugh together at our probably different approach to missions.
Like I'm fairly sure he killed the dude who sells you the land for $200 while I paid for it and got the money back from the dowsing rod guy
. :lol

I did some random things but storywise I played to the part where you drive the stagecoach with a
wounded Nigel West Dickens (it's hilarious when he starts welcoming death's embrace)
. I know it's supposed to make the shooting easier but I still found it a bit weird that the stagecoach drove by itself perfectly on-rails if I kept the aim button pressed. Even if no one was attacking I just didn't bother to release LT after I noticed that.

I just beat the game. WOW JUST WOW. Game of the year for me.

I put it over Heavy Rain, ME2, GOW3 all all the other fantastic stuff that already came out this year. It is just that good.

Jex

Anyone else find it off that John refuses to sleep with hookers, yet he will happily go on to butcher hundreds of innocent people? Double standards much.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Jexhius said:
Anyone else find it off that John refuses to sleep with hookers, yet he will happily go on to butcher hundreds of innocent people? Double standards much.

in story missions, when do you ever have to kill someone that isn't trying to kill you?

I did not like it in San Andreas when one mission required you to kill a tourist just to acquire a camera.

Jex

levious said:
in story missions, when do you ever have to kill someone that isn't trying to kill you?

True, but I'm thinking off-mission. He declines hookers off-mission, audibly. Yet you can still target innocent civilians and butcher them all day long. I don't hear him complaining about that. He's kind of a twisted psycho in that regard.

Like, off-missions that makes me still think that I'm playing as John, not some random dude. He had standards and morals and shit, he doesn't let you do that shit because he thinks it's wrong.

Yet that illusion is completely broken when he doesn't stop you from shooting up the streets and hogtieing people for fun and profit.

Dead Man

Jexhius said:
True, but I'm thinking off-mission. He declines hookers off-mission, audibly. Yet you can still target innocent civilians and butcher them all day long. I don't hear him complaining about that. He's kind of a twisted psycho in that regard.
They aren't family? Doesn't really strike me as odd. He seems to have a code of ethics, it is just not the usual civilised one. If he makes a promise, he seems to keep it, and marriage is nothing if not a promise.

NG28

I hate how they have duels set up. I've put white X's on their gun hand and still got killed because that damn meter wasn't filled up. It should be about speed, not how many bullets I put in the guy. One well placed headshot or disarm should be enough.

Cobra84

Is there is anything to do after getting 100%? Nothing I would do to mess around in a GTA game really works. 80% of the game is barren desert, so there is nothing to really explore or find. The police are always pistol armed horse riding wimps even with a high bounty and never rifle armed soldiers or Gatling gun wagons.

Dan Yo

Banned
PuppetMaster said:
I just beat the game. WOW JUST WOW. Game of the year for me.

I put it over Heavy Rain, ME2, GOW3 all all the other fantastic stuff that already came out this year. It is just that good.
Better than Heavy Rain and God of War? Definitely, without question. I'm not so sure about ME2 though. Give it a few months and see how we feel about it in comparison.

Cobra84 said:
Is there is anything to do after getting 100%? Nothing I would do to mess around in a GTA game really works. 80% of the game is barren desert, so there is nothing to really explore or find. The police are always pistol armed horse riding wimps even with a high bounty and never rifle armed soldiers or Gatling gun wagons.
That disappointed me too. In GTA you eventually get the US Army with tanks etc...

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Jexhius said:

Like, off-missions that makes me still think that I'm playing as John, not some random dude. He had standards and morals and shit, he doesn't let you do that shit because he thinks it's wrong.

Yet that illusion is completely broken when he doesn't stop you from shooting up the streets and hogtieing people for fun and profit.

oh I see what you mean, but there'd be a shitstorm from fans if you couldn't fuck around any way you wanted as far as killing/destruction.

Seanspeed

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Okay.

6. Don't take drugs.
THANK YOU. You are the first person I've seen to have explained it so thoroughly and understandably.

Also, anyone know where to find binoculars? Weren't they supposed to be in the game?

Is the Save Eva from Peril stranger mission supposed to end the way it did? Or is there a way to have it end differently.

BTW: For those having trouble with the Treasure Hunts there's an IGN Strategize video on the Inside Xbox section that shows the location for all of them.

Taoofberg said:
Accidentally shot my horse in the back of the head while aiming at a raccoon. Minus fifty honor was salt in the wounds of losing a nice horse.

Glad to see someone in the mindset of getting attached to their in game horse. Its hard to keep them, you have to plan ahead sometimes, I had my blue horse for like 14 hours, it actually ran into a lake. That stung.

I have my wild caught Hungarian Half Bred for like 5 or 6 hours now, it's a good horse.:D

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
The throwing knives are my new favorite weapon. The mission where you get them is fantastic. I can't wait to do a bounty hunter mission with those.

Reknoc

Finally completed it, credits and all, what an amazing ending but
I was glad I saved before the last mission, it's a cool way to let you 100% the game after the last mission but I found Jack to just be abit annoying.

ElyrionX

idahoblue said:
I think it only gives ammo for the type you have selected. So if you have a revolver and repeater, it will give ammo in those types, along with the others where only a single type is available. If that makes any sense.

I just tried that by selecting a rifle and a pistol as my weapons and opening the chest in my safe house. It gave me ammo for the rifle but not for the pistol on three separate occasions.

uraldix

B-Rad Lascelle said:
1) Choose your preference between the 15-bullet revolver or the 22-bullet repeater.
2) Empty out all your excess bullets for whichever gun you choose into the ground leaving you with only the bullets loaded into your gun (no auto-reload worries).
3) Pick your fortress battle, employ dead eye, disarm 6 guys (you can get multiple disarms from the same guy) and you can duck for cover, release L1 and all the normal stuff you normally do.

Easy win for Sharpshooter 10.

Getting rid of all the excess bullets is what it took. Thanks for the tip.

EzLink

Banned
Beat it. Hands down one of the best video game endings I've ever played. It was so fucking awesome!

Now gonna try and finish up some achievements before my Wii gets back and I get sucked into Galaxy 2

somebody PLEASE has to gif this scene: (de Santa)

de Santa: You don't find Reyes, Reyes finds you.
Marston: Sort of like cholera.
[pause]
*everyone laughs*

oh god, classic.

FerranMG

Are there story related achievements?

Meaning, if I go and read all the achievements to see what am I supposed to do to get them, will I be spoiled?

I feel that the only area this game is inferior to GTAIV is horse riding vs. car driving. Sure, horse controls are great and it's fun for the first few hours, but in the end it just comes down to mashing X. Also the horses (naturally) are all extremely similar. Driving cars in GTA never gets old.

Liar's Dice is fun, but too easy if you find out how the ai works :lol Got the achievement yesterday. I have a question on the "fighting round the world" achievement. What exactly counts as a knockdown? Does the enemy have to die or is it enough to just knock him down?

k0ji-wd

FerranMG said:
Are there story related achievements?

Meaning, if I go and read all the achievements to see what am I supposed to do to get them, will I be spoiled?

There's a HUGE spoiler for the very last of the story achievements, huuuuuuuuuuge

Top Bottom