• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Bizzyb

Banned
NG28 said:
I hate how they have duels set up. I've put white X's on their gun hand and still got killed because that damn meter wasn't filled up. It should be about speed, not how many bullets I put in the guy. One well placed headshot or disarm should be enough.

I did a duel where I shot just ONE shot, and it was to shoot the gun out of the guys hand. I felt so fucking awesome after that. He ran away out of town, and I picked up the gun he dropped. One of the best moments I had in the game.

Lakitu

st5fu
kilongs said:
Fuck Blackjack! That dealer is a filthy cheating bastard!

Agreed. The dealers are fucking cheats. I've never seen someone with so much luck before. Thankfully I realised that to get the outfits, I only needed to make a profit. So as soon as I got even a little profit, I quit and it's fine.

Anyway, I shot that asshole dealer in Blackwater. The look on his face before I shot him was one of pure terror. So good.

RedStep

Jexhius said:
True, but I'm thinking off-mission. He declines hookers off-mission, audibly. Yet you can still target innocent civilians and butcher them all day long. I don't hear him complaining about that. He's kind of a twisted psycho in that regard.

Like, off-missions that makes me still think that I'm playing as John, not some random dude. He had standards and morals and shit, he doesn't let you do that shit because he thinks it's wrong.

Yet that illusion is completely broken when he doesn't stop you from shooting up the streets and hogtieing people for fun and profit.

You have a point, but games that do restrict you from being "bad" tend to be frustrating ("I can't do that, Steve"). So it's a tradeoff for fun.

kilongs

Lakitu said:
Agreed. The dealers are fucking cheats. I've never seen someone with so much luck before. Thankfully I realised that to get the outfits, I only needed to make a profit. So as soon as I got even a little profit, I quit and it's fine.

Anyway, I shot that asshole dealer in Blackwater. The look on his face before I shot him was one of pure terror. So good.
Thats cool, I didnt realize that winning in blackjack was a requirement of any outfit. It was just my first time trying the game, and the dealer was dealing some bullshit.

RbBrdMan said:
Shoot that sum-bitch.
If his shenanigans continue, I may just have to.

bridegur

I can't believe you can't swim in this. They kept the crappy GTA controls and actually removed something that series has had since Vice City? Amazing.

bridegur said:
I can't believe you can't swim in this. They kept the crappy GTA controls and actually removed something that series has had since Vice City? Amazing.
They also removed CARS. This is a different game and way better than GTA so it's really not a big deal.

JambiBum

The Lamonster said:
They also removed CARS. This is a different game and way better than GTA so it's really not a big deal.

Except it is when you are hunting shit in the marshland near Thieves' Landing and have to keep walking through water to get to animals.

Leunam

Music question:
What's the song that plays when you arrive in Mexico? I know I saw it here but I forgot to write it down.

Dead Man

Rockstar are really starting to piss me off with some of their design decisions. Why can't I load a different game from the Start menu? Why only 3 save slots? I have encountered the Mo van Barr bug where he doesn't show to get the bounty, the only fix at the moment I have found is to restart and do the first Marshal mission again. If I could just have had more saves, I might have had one that was before that, saving the need to do the damn tedious first half dozen missions!! GAH!

JambiBum said:
Except it is when you are hunting shit in the marshland near Thieves' Landing and have to keep walking through water to get to animals.
And this too!

It is so close to the GOTY, but it is stupid shit like this that is unnecessary and stops it form being as good as it could be from a technical standpoint.

I am still loving it, but I know it could have been so much better without the stupid Rockstar design school 101 crap.

Have you guys seen the Fokker triplane? It's badass.
total bullshit

Any tips for the disarms? Expert mode aiming... do I aim for the weapon itself?

Mojojo

The Lamonster said:

Still, i would have liked some special jump spots with the horse.... or more race events as a mini-game. ..not sure why it wasn't included after the two missions with Dickens
just fear it will be included as $$ DLC

BeeDog

I fucking suck at playing Poker in this game. Is there a foolproof way of clearing a table? Tried my luck at the Blackwater table a couple of times, but I always lose when there's only one player left; either it's a standstill (and I loose my will to finish the game), or I fuck up by going all-in and busting.

DeuceMojo said:
total bullshit

That is what others have said in this thread but I cannot personally vouch for it.

BeeDog said:
I fucking suck at playing Poker in this game. Is there a foolproof way of clearing a table? Tried my luck at the Blackwater table a couple of times, but I always lose when there's only one player left; either it's a standstill (and I loose my will to finish the game), or I fuck up by going all-in and busting.

Do you cheat ?

Do cheat and play aggressively when you have a good hand. If raised on river, fold.

Salz01

darkjedi187 said:
Anyone else not get a new gun after completing a hideout. I thought a new one was issued after the completion of everyone.

Depends on the bandit camp, and if you take out the Boss of that said bandit camp.

DeuceMojo said:
total bullshit

The only time I have any luck with disarms is when I am perpendicular to the enemy so I have a clear shot on the side of the weapon. I haven't tried it yet, but the times I managed to disarm when shooting straight at the weapon it seemed like I hit the person's hand rather than the weapon. Something to test perhaps.

Jeez the whole game I didn't run into any bears then I got up to the 3rd area of the game and damn, two sometimes three bears chasing me, they are everywhere in the tall trees area, wildlife you scary.

LabouredSubterfuge said:

River is the last card dealt on the table.

Second to last is the turn.

First 3 are the flop.

Or was it that my sarcasm detector is off, friend, and you think that my strategy is shit, friend :D ?

The easiest way to get a disarm outside of a duel is to wait for your target to shoot first. The kickback will make it much easier to target the revolver or pistol when you enter Deadeye mode.

WEGGLES

BeeDog said:
My best bet is to get a 1 on 1 game with the Asian dude in Blackwater.

I slowly got the majority of the chips and eventually got it where I could continually raise it so much he'd have to go all in or fold before the river even dropped.. and he always folds.

Cheap? Maybe... but I still win.

BeeDog said:
I don't cheat, actually. What does "raised on river" mean?

You definitely should cheat. Otherwise games can drag on for hours).

(See above post for river :if your opponent is raising the bet on the river, he probably has a good hand).

BeeDog

BaronLundi said:
You definitely should cheat. Otherwise games can drag on for hours).

(See above post for river :if your opponent is raising the bet on the river, he probably has a good hand).

Alright, many thanks. Will try that.

Roxas

Brilliant bit of dialogue between Irish and Marston :lol :lol

Irish : "Tell me, whats the Spanish word for Cunt?"
Marston : "I dont know, you tell me. I'm sure you've been called it a few times"

Numpt3

So does anyone have any tips on how to cheat at poker properly? I can never hold the arrow in the middle, it always swings wildly even with the slightest touch. what am I doing wrong?

Zeliard

Jamesfrom818 said:
The easiest way to get a disarm outside of a duel is to wait for your target to shoot first. The kickback will make it much easier to target the revolver or pistol when you enter Deadeye mode.

I'm only guessing but willing to bet that it's more difficult to disarm the higher the caliber of your weapon. You want to use something that'll hit the gun, not blow the guy's hand off. :p

I know this can have an effect when hunting - using a rifle that's too powerful can make a bird or small animal explode and leave you with no feathers to pick.

Numpt3

Roxas said:
Brilliant bit of dialogue between Irish and Marston :lol :lol

Irish : "Tell me, whats the Spanish word for Cunt?"
Marston : "I dont know, you tell me. I'm sure you've been called it a few times"
They call me el rato. The cat
:lol :lol :lol

Stantron

Just started playing this game last night. Spent most of my time hunting. Went to a snowy hill area to shoot some song birds while on my horse, when all of a sudden a cougar rushes me, killing my horse before I was able to get a proper rifle shot off. After falling off, I get up and shoot wildly until the cougar is out of sight. Saddened that my trusty horse that I had since the game start is dead, I continue to shoot song birds at his side. When all of a sudden that mother fucking cougar pounces on my ass killing me in one swipe. That vengeful prick scared the shit out of me. I thought he was long gone after I popped off my six shooter earlier. Had to stop playing then, but I plan to return to the scene of the crime tonight with a new double barreled toy I bought in town. Fun times.

Anyone looking for beavers go to the Pacific union railroad camp, head directly north till you get to the incline with the train tracks on it.

Just found 6 on that hill and in the field below.

bridegur said:

They should explain it away as a character flaw for added depth. Marston, bad ass cowboy..."I can't swim partner."

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
bridegur said:

The lack of swimming is actually a bit more realistic as it was rare back then for people to know how to swim.

I lol'd at this exchange between John and, shall we say, one of the gang members he has to find.

I'm going to kill you John and that Professor.

John: Why's that..?

Response: I don't know, sport, I guess.

John: That's beautiful

How are people earning money here?

I've around $3000

Meus Renaissance said:
I lol'd at this exchange between John and, shall we say, one of the gang members he has to find.

I'm going to kill you John and that Professor.

John: Why's that..?

Response: I don't know, sport, I guess.

John: That's beautiful

How are people earning money here?

I've around $3000

I usually hunt wolves. They attack in packs and are easy to kill with the knife so you don't have to use up ammo. By the time I'm done skinning a pack, another pack of wolves respawn and attack.

bridegur said:

You couldn't swim in VC. Wasn't until SA that you could swim.

vhfive

m0ngo said:
So does anyone have any tips on how to cheat at poker properly? I can never hold the arrow in the middle, it always swings wildly even with the slightest touch. what am I doing wrong?
+1

I've tried about 5 times and failed each.
I was able to max out my honor though by shooting the gun hand in my duels.

vhfive said:
+1

I've tried about 5 times and failed each.
I was able to max out my honor though by shooting the gun hand in my duels.

You have to barely tap the joystick to get it close to the middle, then use very slow motions to get it in the middle. I saved in the room above the saloon in Blackwater and kept reloading every time they caught me cheating until I had figured it out. Once I got it down I won close to 3000 chips in one hand. :D

The easiest way to get a huge pot is to wait until they raise before or right after the flop. This usually means they have an ok, not a great, hand and you have a good chance of winning. So this is when I'll re-raise like 5 or 6 times and get the pot way up there. This is the best method for keeping them from scaring away that I've found.

DogWelder

m0ngo said:
They call me el rato. The cat
:lol :lol :lol
:lol

Ending spoilers:
Going back and playing as John just makes it sting more knowing he dies at the end. What a great character. :(

I'm at 95% I think I've only got a couple hunter challenges left and that stranger mission where
you need the fooking beaver furs

EzLink

Banned
Wish this game had new game plus. I would love replaying everything with my same weapons/outfits/horse etc.

i know you can replay story missions, but it just isn't the same!

Nothing cracks me up like trying to take a bounty alive, and when I shoot him in the leg so I can hogtie him, he slips off a rocky as hell slope and does not survive the fall. :lol

Then that means either looting the corpse or reloading the save. Comedy gold, regardless.

Numpt3

sw33tclyde said:
You have to barely tap the joystick to get it close to the middle, then use very slow motions to get it in the middle. I saved in the room above the saloon in Blackwater and kept reloading every time they caught me cheating until I had figured it out. Once I got it down I won close to 3000 chips in one hand. :D

The easiest way to get a huge pot is to wait until they raise before or right after the flop. This usually means they have an ok, not a great, hand and you have a good chance of winning. So this is when I'll re-raise like 5 or 6 times and get the pot way up there. This is the best method for keeping them from scaring away that I've found.
Great, shall give that a try! thanks.

Top Bottom