• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Chichikov

Ding said:
I don't have the option to buy any "fast" horse deeds in the store. Just slow ones and normal ones. Because I tamed the Saddler, shouldn't it be in the stores now? Do I have to go find one in the wild? Did Bonnie's stallion not count?
Make sure you don't already own that deed (I can't remember if you get the deed as part of the mission), you can only buy a deed once (but you can activate it as many times as you want).
I have the deed and I'm pretty sure I didn't tame a Saddler in the wild.

Hixx

God I wish we could search threads again, google search doesn't use the same posts per page which fucks the search up :(

Anyway, quick question... went into Thieve's Landing tonight to continue on with the missions - just outside the saloon about a dozen people start shooting me and I die instantly... went back and same thing happened! How do I get to the fella to do his mission? :(

I know someone who tried to buy the game from a large gaming retailer here in the UK and it was told that they don't expect stock for another few weeks. There are quite a few of these stories going around actually. Game is still sold out.

Anybody here bought and read a newspaper after beating the game? You find out what happened to a few characters.

Apparently,
Landon Ricketts passed away in his sleep, and Irish was killed via an accidental discharge of a gun in Thieves Landing. Marshall Johnson (the sheriff of Armadillo) has retired, and Seth found the huge treasure he was searching for. MacDougal went back to Yale, but was kicked out again due to drunken fighting and acting like a lunatic, and Reyes becomes a corrupt tyrant, and just as bad a president as Allende.

blanky

Ben2749 said:
Anybody here bought and read a newspaper after beating the game? You find out what happened to a few characters.

Apparently,
Landon Ricketts passed away in his sleep, and Irish was killed via an accidental discharge of a gun in Thieves Landing. Marshall Johnson (the sheriff of Armadillo) has retired, and Seth found the huge treasure he was searching for. MacDougal went back to Yale, but was kicked out again due to drunken fighting and acting like a lunatic, and Reyes becomes a corrupt tyrant, and just as bad a president as Allende.

I wish the newspaper would say anything about the
MacFarlanes
or gives a stranger mission.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I got caught cheating at poker and the guy challenged me to a duel :lol

this game is great. I've played it for about 6 hours and I've hardly done anything.

Dragnet

Ben2749 said:

Apparently,

It also tells you
about Agent Ross retiring out by Lake Don Julio, which is how I found out about that part of the game, not from the FBI agent..

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I finally got to Blackwater last night and wow, what a sight.
I also saw my first Grizzlies, unlike some of the other animals I didn't feel bad about blasting them in the face.

Dan Yo

Banned
What's up with the horse loyalty mechanic? I remember getting a message telling me my horse had increased it's loyalty to me sometime in the beginning of the game giving it more stamina, but I have not seen any way to tell or gauge my current horse's loyalty any time after that.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dan Yo said:
What's up with the horse loyalty mechanic? I remember getting a message telling me my horse had increased it's loyalty to me sometime in the beginning of the game giving it more stamina, but I have not seen any way to tell or gauge my current horse's loyalty any time after that.

I never even noticed this, as far as I know there is no where in-game that you can see the stats for your current horse. I've been riding with the same steed for a long time now, he (It doesn't have a penus so maybe she) is all white and pretty much the best horse ever so it should be loyal by now.

Speaking of horses, I had a pretty funny glitch last night. So I got off my horse to capture an outlaw, it was right behind me only a fence was between us. So I'm looking at my horse and I hit d-pad up to call for it out of habit, and I see on my radar that it's coming from a totally different location. Somehow it duplicated my horse so for a moment I had two sweet all white horses.

TTG

Y2Kev said:
How much is left from that point? 5-10 missions?

about 7, I think. But they're not the grandiose, Mexican styled missions, they're short. They're awesome in a different way.

TTG

Dan Yo said:

It's just how much of the stamina meter you have available to you. The messages go away after the first horse(or at least they did for me) but if you exchange horses, it won't be maxed out for some 5-10 minutes I think. If you whistle for a new horse, it will already be maxed.

Pretty annoying bug in the HK version... They mixed up X and O in some menus.. It took me a while to figure out how to even start the game, because the menu says "press X" when really you have to press O. And when playing poker, placing bets is the same button as quitting the game, so every time you bet or call, you have to go through the menu to quit playing poker... Buying stuff is annoying too

That, and the usual "open world game" whackiness is kind of ruining it for me. Within 30 seconds of taking control of the character in the game, I accidentally whipped out my pistol. So during the opening dialogue, people were SCREAMING over and over.. Kind of funny actually, but I doubt that was their intention :lol

daddynorcal

Neo Member
Darklord said:
Where do the banditos attack? I can't say I've come across any areas where they've attacked residents. Is there a certain spot that happens so I can get scrap 5 of their outfit?

You should get your chance to defend the residents in the form of random events that appears in and around towns like dragging someone through the town or holding up a wagon owner at gunpoint.

R* Support

Yeah, finally got out of Mexico. Didnt like it in the beginning, but it grew on me after some time. Amazing landscape and great missions. The mission variety is such a step up from GTAIV. There's hardly any repetitive bullshit. Character were less funny than in the first part of the game, but it was fitting to the general mood. Epic shit!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
TTG said:
about 7, I think. But they're not the grandiose, Mexican styled missions, they're short. They're awesome in a different way.
Okay, I just finished the game. I totally agree. The game's awesomeness is in two inverted parabolas: the beginning of the game and the end of the game. Not surprising. Both arcs are patterned around strong women. Also not surprising. :)

The only way they could have made that last
ride as Jack and Abigail back to the farm more haunting was if they licensed Ecstasy of Gold.

The end was perfect. The game really did start incredibly ("sell me some cattle"--so grounded, so real, so honest), get lost in typical GTA shit, and then go back to what made it so strong ("blessed are the peace makers"). I thought they did a fantastic job writing
Abigail
and made a flawed attempt at writing
a maturing child in Jack.
He was inconsistent. He'd go from earnest to annoying too quickly. I guess he just didn't have enough screen time to really develop fully, so his maturation was unrealistically abbreviated. Still, I really liked him and I was not surprised that the two games I've really liked the most the past few months have had strong "father elements." Almost like father simulators. It's a primal, universal urge to be a father and to protect one's family. It's such a strong urge that it can connect to a player and illicit a strong reaction from that player even if the writing itself betrays the subtlety or complexity of that relationship.

I really wish Rockstar could work on the middle portion of their games.

I was kind of hoping for something to happen between
Jack and Bonnie
or something.

However, I liked how the ending was handled.
It reminded me a lot of how Red handled his parents' murderer in the first game. No time for talking, just shoot the bastard who wronged you. That's why the west was so fantastic.

WEGGLES

I wanna work on 100% for this... but Alan Wake is calling.

Also the 24 hour/all american hide outs. Is that I start at 10:00pm ingame and have till 12:00 or until 10:00PM rolls around again?

I was in the middle of nowhere in Mexico and ran into some guy crying over his wife's dead body and a pistol nearby. Don't know if he killed her or not but I watched for a few seconds and he picked up the pistol and shot himself in the head :lol :lol

Don't know if I was supposed to shoot the gun out of his hand but I didn't lose any honor/fame

TTG

Y2Kev said:
I really wish Rockstar could work on the middle portion of their games.

The size of the game dictates the amount of "story" they have to write in there, it must be tough. There's no way I would want them to make smaller games, so I guess they have to look for other solutions. Every time there's some jack ass(
Reyes or the general come to mind
) directing Marston to do something and he responds with a shrug and an "ok", it looks bad. Every time there's a new mission location that pops up, but you have no idea who it is or why Marston would actively go there to help, it weakens the plot. The key has to be to make better characters and if we take Mexico out of the equation, they did well this time around.

Anyway, Rockstar has to be commended, this is an early pick for GOTY. I love the confidence they have in their ability as well. Make a game where a lot of the time there are only about 4 things on screen. Marston on a horse, the ground, the horizon, the sky. Make a game where you're
teaching your son how to hunt elk
. Who else would even attempt that with a budget like this? And to have it workout so well.

WEGGLES said:

Also the 24 hour/all american hide outs. Is that I start at 10:00pm ingame and have till 12:00 or until 10:00PM rolls around again?
It'd be from 10 to the same time the following day. I started mine at around 12 in game and tore through them before sundown. It's not super hard.

TTG

WEGGLES said:

All I really need are the wanted people to kill/capture. But considering I have to wait for each new bounty to trickle in and I've only done about 4 missions between the 3 areas(and there are like 20), I think I'll pass.

Finally finished the game. Even though I knew what was coming because the ending was spoiled for me, it still packs a punch to actually see those events happen. The epilogue was a great way to finish the story. John Marston is definitely one of my all-time favourite characters... just beautifully done. Marston kicks the ass out of any other Rockstar protagonists.

Though, I was wondering a couple things....

End spoilers below:

Why exactly did Ross choose to go after John? John did everything that he asked and he wanted a peaceful life... Ross is just a no good rat bastard, I guess. Felt good to take him out at the end with Jack, pumping an entire mag into his chest.

Hell of an ending for John to go out like that... I was hoping for a happier ending.

Anyone have sequel/DLC ideas? How about Red Dead Retribution starring Jack Marston? 20s era prohibition? Any takers? :lol

My God, the soundtrack of this game is fantastic. This really feels like the first truly mature game that Rockstar's done in terms of presentation and narrative. At least to me it does.

Y2Kev

TTG said:
The size of the game dictates the amount of "story" they have to write in there, it must be tough. There's no way I would want them to make smaller games, so I guess they have to look for other solutions. Every time there's some jack ass(
) directing Marston to do something and he responds with a shrug and an "ok", it looks bad. Every time there's a new mission location that pops up, but you have no idea who it is or why Marston would actively go there to help, it weakens the plot. The key has to be to make better characters and if we take Mexico out of the equation, they did well this time around.

Anyway, Rockstar has to be commended, this is an early pick for GOTY. I love the confidence they have in their ability as well. Make a game where a lot of the time there are only about 4 things on screen. Marston on a horse, the ground, the horizon, the sky. Make a game where you're
. Who else would even attempt that with a budget like this? And to have it workout so well.

Yeah, the end is fantastic in that way. You almost really believe that
things can change and that John can have the life he's always wanted. There really is a denouement, and that is something considering...you know, it's a game. They tie a great bow on the story, but if you open the pretty package, there's a poo inside.

I would just point to Gay Tony and Lost and Damned. Instead of a big, 30 hour story, 4 or 5 interweaving, interconnected vignettes may allow them more internal consistency while maintaining that overall sweeping epic they like to write.

Still, the last things I will remember from this game are the final few missions. And home is where the heart is. I will remember it superbly... unlike GTA4, where the final mission was like having someone take a giant dump on you.

I swear to god the first journalist that says, "Yeah, but in GTA5, the character will be so much more ingratiating!" after the "he's so nice!!!" shit they pulled in GTA4 previews should get a boot up the ass.

UrbanRats

TTG said:

Well, a solution would be: make the main story shorter(12 or so hours) and leave all the other mission as side missions.

I mean, instead of doing mission for
the Mexican Army and the revolution cause you want Williamson, it would be cooler to choose a side and help them because you WANT to, it would make more sense storywise-- but make so it's NOT necessary for the main plotline.
Same problem with GTA4, you are searching for Darko and all of a sudden you are working for Irish and Italians cause "you need money"..what?

EDIT: Also, damn when you quote the spoilers are exposed XD

Aesius

What's everyone's rankings of R* protagonists?

I think mine would be:

CJ>Marston>Tommy>Johnny>Niko>Claude>Luis

Never played LCS or VCS so I can't include those.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Aesius said:
What's everyone's rankings of R* protagonists?

I think mine would be:

CJ>Marston>Tommy>Johnny>Niko>Claude>Luis

Never played LCS or VCS so I can't include those.

Marston > Tommy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everyone else

Just finished, definitely a goty contender, gow3 is still the goty for me but this was a great great game, I enjoyed it more then GTA specifically because of the setting, I think Im going to watch an episode of Deadwood now, great job R*, good shit.

TTG

Y2Kev said:
Yeah, the end is fantastic in that way. You almost really believe that
things can change and that John can have the life he's always wanted. There really is a denouement, and that is something considering...you know, it's a game. They tie a great bow on the story, but if you open the pretty package, there's a poo inside.

I would just point to Gay Tony and Lost and Damned. Instead of a big, 30 hour story, 4 or 5 interweaving, interconnected vignettes may allow them more internal consistency while maintaining that overall sweeping epic they like to write.

Still, the last things I will remember from this game are the final few missions. And home is where the heart is. I will remember it superbly... unlike GTA4, where the final mission was like having someone take a giant dump on you.

I swear to god the first journalist that says, "Yeah, but in GTA5, the character will be so much more ingratiating!" after the "he's so nice!!!" shit they pulled in GTA4 previews should get a boot up the ass.

I said the same thing about a denouement yesterday. :lol It's so rare to see a game end well these days, this just went above and beyond that. It's too early to think of GTA5, but I'm expecting great things. If you look at every aspect of RDR in detail, they've made major improvements. From eliminating a lot of the clumsiness in combat with dead eye and improved cover mechanics, to putting in a real inventory and the challenges/outfits. It seems everything got an overhaul and the lessons learned from Lost and the Damned and Gay Tony carried right over. Whatever is coming next, they've got a lot of momentum.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Finally finished the game. Even though I knew what was coming because the ending was spoiled for me, it still packs a punch to actually see those events happen. The epilogue was a great way to finish the story. John Marston is definitely one of my all-time favourite characters... just beautifully done. Marston kicks the ass out of any other Rockstar protagonists.

Though, I was wondering a couple things....

End spoilers below:

Why exactly did Ross choose to go after John? John did everything that he asked and he wanted a peaceful life... Ross is just a no good rat bastard, I guess. Felt good to take him out at the end with Jack, pumping an entire mag into his chest.

Hell of an ending for John to go out like that... I was hoping for a happier ending.

Anyone have sequel/DLC ideas? How about Red Dead Retribution starring Jack Marston? 20s era prohibition? Any takers? :lol

Ross went after him because he intended to from the start. To kill the entire gang. Just had John do most of the work for him, but he gets all the glory (retired a hero with a ton of medals)

Y2Kev

The interesting thing is that "Rockstar" is not this monolithic studio, so anything they are learning from game to game is not automatic. They are actively working at it, so that's good. I thought RDR was the first GTA with really solid gameplay (fun, even), so that's something major.

TTG

UrbanRats said:
Well, a solution would be: make the main story shorter(12 or so hours) and leave all the other mission as side missions.

I mean, instead of doing mission for
the Mexican Army and the revolution cause you want Williamson, it would be cooler to choose a side and help them because you WANT to, it would make more sense storywise-- but make so it's NOT necessary for the main plotline.
Same problem with GTA4, you are searching for Darko and all of a sudden you are working for Irish and Italians cause "you need money"..what?

EDIT: Also, damn when you quote the spoilers are exposed XD

Ok, if we agree that the first and third areas are the strong points, what if(it's ok to quote if you're in Mexico already :lol ):
We leave Mexico to be completely optional? Say someone reaches out to you after hearing of your awesome skills in New Austin to ask you to go down there to resolve the issue. Bill never leaves his little fort, you just kill him there on the spot. Or, the only reason you go down to Mexico is to do a few missions in return for the Mexican rebels or army to help you storm the fort? Cut the snake oil salesman and that whole plot line out of it. The thing is, the premise/story for the Mexican missions may be contrived, but as far as gameplay goes, they're great. Maybe the best of the 3 areas. Make Reyes more interesting, don't cut stuff out! If he was at least up to a Armadillo Sheriff quality, there would be no problems.

Less than 15 hours in and just really getting bored with the game. I guess nothing changes about the combat later cause it's large part of whats killing me. There just is no challenge, even if I don't use dead eye the game is pretty weak as the AI is dumb as bricks and not much to it. Spending time doing other things and running out of other diversions and not really caring about combat. Kind of just want to see the rest of some of the story at this point and nothing more.

Probably a silly question but...

Does the replaying of missions from the Stats screen count towards the "Kill 500 people with a mounted weapon" achievement/trophy?

Mik2121

BattleMonkey said:
Less than 15 hours in and just really getting bored with the game. I guess nothing changes about the combat later cause it's large part of whats killing me. There just is no challenge, even if I don't use dead eye the game is pretty weak as the AI is dumb as bricks and not much to it. Spending time doing other things and running out of other diversions and not really caring about combat. Kind of just want to see the rest of some of the story at this point and nothing more.
While I don't agree with you, if you're getting bored at least check out the rest of the story. It's pretty darn good.

Mik2121 said:
While I don't agree with you, if you're getting bored at least check out the rest of the story. It's pretty darn good.

I would but it seems like most of the story missions keep involving lot of the mentioned boring ass combat. It just feels to not change at all and yet Dead eye and your weapons get better, but the enemies are all just hordes of dumbasses. And too many shooting gallery sequences.

TenshiOni said:

Does the replaying of missions from the Stats screen count towards the "Kill 500 people with a mounted weapon" achievement/trophy?
I assume it would have to be, I don't think there's any just laying around.

UrbanRats

TTG said:
Ok, if we agree that the first and third areas are the strong points, what if(it's ok to quote if you're in Mexico already :lol ):
We leave Mexico to be completely optional? Say someone reaches out to you after hearing of your awesome skills in New Austin to ask you to go down there to resolve the issue. Bill never leaves his little fort, you just kill him there on the spot. Or, the only reason you go down to Mexico is to do a few missions in return for the Mexican rebels or army to help you storm the fort? Cut the snake oil salesman and that whole plot line out of it. The thing is, the premise/story for the Mexican missions may be contrived, but as far as gameplay goes, they're great. Maybe the best of the 3 areas. Make Reyes more interesting, don't cut stuff out! If he was at least up to a Armadillo Sheriff quality, there would be no problems.
Yes, i agree completely and also, i kinda like the characters in mexico, it's just the context that feels off..
Marston get used by everyone and still keep losing time, with the excuse of "finding Williamson".
I like Luisa and Rickett(less) but the context just isn't there.
Also, the Dickens/Seth/Irish part was too long, when Marston should have just punched those guys in the face, instead of partaking in 3000 horse racing and stuff, going: "Duh, ok but next time you'll help me, alright?"

Y2Kev

TTG said:
Yeah, the other way seems like the Bioware Solution™. Don't cut out stuff that doesn't work unless you determine it's unworkable. Just fix the problems.

TenshiOni said:

Replaying missions from the stat screen does NOT add to the mounted gun achievement, the advice i've seen is either do it on multi free roam as some of the bandit hideouts have mounted guns and replay them over and over or go to the fort in east mexico and use the weapon there to kill lawmen and such.

kyo_daikun said:
Replaying missions from the stat screen does NOT add to the mounted gun achievement, the advice i've seen is either do it on multi free roam as some of the bandit hideouts have mounted guns and replay them over and over or go to the fort in east mexico and use the weapon there to kill lawmen and such.
Huh. Good thing I asked then. Thanks.

Do you know if the number is reset to zero in Free Roam? Or will it add on to how many kills I attained with the mounted gun in the single player? If it's the former...fuck this achievement. :lol

Just collecting some last minute single player achievements before finishing the campaign. Love this game. :D

i want to bang bonnie sooo bad right now. fuck my wife and kid, she needs a real mans love after that hanging. i genuinely care more for her than i do john, especially since i dont have a face to put to his "lost wife and kid"

TenshiOni said:
Huh. Good thing I asked then.

Thanks.

Just collecting some last minute single player achievements before finishing the campaign. Love this game. :D

Yeah been doing the same, im at 48% I think as of last night on trophies.

kaskade

This game is ridiculous. I played for maybe 2 hours today and I don't think I did even one story mission. I've never been this sucked int a game before. My game clock is just shy of 36 hrs and I'm just about half way through the story missions. I love it.

Gribbix

TenshiOni said:
Huh. Good thing I asked then. Thanks.

Do you know if the number is reset to zero in Free Roam? Or will it add on to how many kills I attained with the mounted gun in the single player? If it's the former...fuck this achievement. :lol

Rockstar gives the following advice for the mounted gun achievement on the social club:
If you have completed all of the story missions, there is a defensible location in El Matadero with a Browning gun.

Krauser Kat said:
i want to bang bonnie sooo bad right now. fuck my wife and kid, she needs a real mans love after that hanging. i genuinely care more for her than i do john, especially since i dont have a face to put to his "lost wife and kid"

So your advice for a traumatized hanging victim is to have a smelly cowboy fuck her?

Brilliant stuff, dude.

Also, keep playing.

Top Bottom