• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Gribbix said:
Rockstar gives the following advice for the mounted gun achievement on the stats page of the social club:

Apparently there is also a bit of a glitch with this trophy, say you get 500 kills with that browning machine gun the trophy wont actually unlock, if you then go find a gatling gun (one at the mexican fort) and get one kill with it the trophy will the unlock, not sure whats going on there but its been confirmed by a few people.

Meier said:
Killing a bear with a knife is such an effing PITA.

Shoot it once in the head with the springfield rifle, use the lasso on it to stun it for a few seconds, run into it and knife it once and it will die (hopefully)

TTG

Getting a 5000$ bounty is not an easy achievement. I just cleared out Armadillo, Mcfarlane's Ranch, the small station near thieve's landing AND all of Blackwater.... 2331$ bounty so far. Gonna resupply on medkits and go from there. :lol My honor went from one end of the scale to the other too, I have "the dark horse" now.

TTG said:
Getting a 5000$ bounty is not an easy achievement. I just cleared out Armadillo, Mcfarlane's Ranch, the small station near thieve's landing AND all of Blackwater.... 2331$ bounty so far. Gonna resupply on medkits and go from there. :lol My honor went from one end of the scale to the other too, I have "the dark horse" now.

Cracking the Safe's in armadillo's bank increases your bounty quite a bit.

If you want to be cheap about it ($5000 bounty really does take a lot of work without dying), just camp out on the roof of the Armadillo saloon. Be sure to bring a lot of ammo. :D

WEGGLES

robut said:
Can't get spoiler tags to work, will just say I'm glad I kept a save right before the end. While it's neat, I just don't care for *blank*.
tag is

[spoiler ] and [/spoiler ]

With out spaces.

can someone explain something to me?

When I try to take someone down "alive" with hand-to-hand combat, I get them to the point where they are laying on the ground, yelling at me. Nothing happens... I can't tackle them anymore or attack them. Then they regenerate health and stand back up and start shooting at me again. Repeat.

I took one guy down by tackling him, and it said to collect my bounty. Before I could leave, he got up and started shooting at me. So I had to shoot him, and lost honor for it.

WTF this is so frustrating

HixxSAFC said:
God I wish we could search threads again, google search doesn't use the same posts per page which fucks the search up :(

Anyway, quick question... went into Thieve's Landing tonight to continue on with the missions - just outside the saloon about a dozen people start shooting me and I die instantly... went back and same thing happened! How do I get to the fella to do his mission? :(

It's because your honor is too high. Grab the Bandanna (from the shop in Thieves Landing - you can sneak around and get to him if you keep getting shot) and they won't attack. Remember to take it off also as you don't gain honor/fame while wearing it and doing other stuff.

EDIT: REGARDING AMAZON - I finally got an email back from them

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't receive $20 gift card for purchasing Red Dead Redemption.Some of our promotions are restricted to one claim code per customer, and some require a minimum purchase. You'll receive only one $20 gift certificate.

I checked your records and redeemed the $20 gift card in to your account.

The current balance on your gift card is $20.00. If you don't see the gift card funds in the order cost summary when you place your next order, make sure the radio button is selected under the words "You have $20.00 in gift cards or promotional credit available for use toward this purchase. Would you like to apply it?"

So purchasing 2 of them did nothing for the second and still no word about the Pre-Order bonus whatsoever. I love Amazon and I fucking despise them at times also.

SkinnyPupp said:
can someone explain something to me?

When I try to take someone down "alive" with hand-to-hand combat, I get them to the point where they are laying on the ground, yelling at me. Nothing happens... I can't tackle them anymore or attack them. Then they regenerate health and stand back up and start shooting at me again. Repeat.

I took one guy down by tackling him, and it said to collect my bounty. Before I could leave, he got up and started shooting at me. So I had to shoot him, and lost honor for it.

WTF this is so frustrating

Uhh... are you trying to just beat up bounties? You either have to hogtie them and deliver them to jail, or kill them and deliver proof of their demise you loot off their corpse.

TTG

Revolutionary said:
If you want to be cheap about it ($5000 bounty really does take a lot of work without dying), just camp out on the roof of the Armadillo saloon. Be sure to bring a lot of ammo. :D

Currently riding around on a roof of a train, bringing death to wherever it stops. Up to 4k, love how your bounty disappears as long as you're in Thieve's Landing.

HadesGigas said:
Uhh... are you trying to just beat up bounties? You either have to hogtie them and deliver them to jail, or kill them and deliver proof of their demise you loot off their corpse.
OK so how do you hog tie them and deliver them to jail? I can subdue them, but there are no contextual commands for hog tying or delivering to jail...

The manual (lol) says that "criminals can be taken in dead or alive" and nothing else...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
SkinnyPupp said:
OK so how do you hog tie them and deliver them to jail? I can subdue them, but there are no contextual commands for hog tying or delivering to jail...

The manual (lol) says that "criminals can be taken in dead or alive" and nothing else...

Have you gotten the lasso yet? You can't take bounties in alive until you have it.

Dead Man

I just got a patch, anyone know what it does? Never mind, just checked, it seems like it is some multiplayer fixes.

SkinnyPupp said:

You need to have done the mission where you lasso horses.

Rapture

TTG said:
Anyone know for sure? it would make sense:
him being satan/death is obvious once Marston tries to shoot him and nothing happens, he also mentions being the accountant etc... there are hints. It's also no coincidence that you last meeting is at Beecher's Hope, but I didn't see him in the shootout.

well
i definitely think hes satan rather then some other type of spirit, he told john that he wanted his son to be just like him, and satan hasn't had his son yet in the bible right?...

Bizzyb

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Wow

The key for Five Finger Fillet is to turn down the volume and not look at the screen. Looking at the screen, even if you have it memorized, will just fuck you up.

I fucking HATE that game. I swear sometimes looking at the screen does mess you up. Somehow though I was in the zone and actually beat the champ. It felt weird like I went out of my body and my fingers just took over. After beating it I wanted to do a serious fist pump.

Seraphis Cain said:
Have you gotten the lasso yet? You can't take bounties in alive until you have it.
No, I haven't done a lasso quest yet. I did a few bonnie quests, then a few marshall quests, and a couple bounties.

Who gives the lasso quest?

Best part of open world games ;)

Piggus

RelentlessRolento said:
man... its awesome wearing the legend of the west outfit while riding an american standardbred... it's like being a ninja of the west.

I FINALLY found an American Standardbred in Tall Trees, and the fucker jumped into the river as soon as I got on. Killed us both, and I failed the mission I was on. >__>

Endgame spoilers:

Heh, nice touch. I'm killing people to get the bounty achievement, as Jack. He yells stuff like "You're the real bad guys!" and "The law killed my father!"

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Just started playing RDR. Already taking a liking to John Marston.

But I'm having some major pop-up issues so far. Haven't heard many complaints about it so I was wondering if it might be because I am playing on an arcade unit? Would not having a hard-drive effect such a thing?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
TTG said:

Brick building in Blackwater directly across from the train station has a ladder on the side facing the station. Climb the ladder. Stand on the lower level until it you need to go to the top to avoid gunfire, you will figure that out for yourself. Then climb to the top level and stand directly in front of the ladder on the top of the three small steps at the top of the ladder. You can stand here and swing the camera back and forth between looking towards the train station and looking towards the park in front of city hall. Every time you swing back to each area more civilians will be spawn endlessly. Every once in a while a group of cops will show up and let you gain a bit more bounty quickly.
This system works perfectly. Once you are at $5000. Step back to the middle of the roof and squat down. Wait until your wanted meter is gone. Run across the street and pay off your bounty.

Achievement unlocked. :)

QUOTE=Skiesofwonder]Just started playing RDR. Already taking a liking to John Marston.

But I'm having some major pop-up issues so far. Haven't heard many complaints about it so I was wondering if it might be because I am playing on an arcade unit? Would not having a hard-drive effect such a thing?[/QUOTE]

hmm. I wonder. I didn't experience much pop-up all through the game (60 gig Pro). The only thing I ever noticed was texture detail. And I never installed it to my drive either.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
ShockingAlberto said:
A few of the achievements are glitched.

I did the Dastardly one today and didn't get anything.

Did you make sure to put a woman on the tracks? It has to be a woman, not a man.

Also the train actually has to run them over, and you have to see it happen.

(I'm sure this is all obvious, just covering all the possible reasons that you didn't get it.)

Truelize said:
Did you stand there and watch her die?

Seraphis Cain said:
Did you make sure to put a woman on the tracks? It has to be a woman, not a man.

Also the train actually has to run them over, and you have to see it happen.

(I'm sure this is all obvious, just covering all the possible reasons that you didn't get it.)

Yes and yes.

It was a woman from the "fake stranded carriage" random event. I robbed her, lassoed her, and traveled across the map to get her in front of a train. Laid her down vertically on the tracks so no part of her was off of them and set there and watched her explode.

Nada.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
ShockingAlberto said:
Yes and yes.

It was a woman from the "fake stranded carriage" random event. I robbed her, lassoed her, and traveled across the map to get her in front of a train. Laid her down vertically on the tracks so no part of her was off of them and set there and watched her explode.

Nada.

Huh. That's exactly what I did (down to the letter), and I got the trophy just fine. Odd.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
ShockingAlberto said:
Yes and yes.

Nada.

That is a good woman to kill too. That sucks. Hopefully it will work next time you do it.

dejay

Banned
Skiesofwonder said:
Just started playing RDR. Already taking a liking to John Marston.

But I'm having some major pop-up issues so far. Haven't heard many complaints about it so I was wondering if it might be because I am playing on an arcade unit? Would not having a hard-drive effect such a thing?

I don't know specifically, but my game is installed on the hard drive and there's minimal pop up, especially compared to GTA IV.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
ShockingAlberto said:
It sucked and I was disappointed, but I wasn't surprised. It seems like this game wasn't bug tested very well at all.

The only glitch I ever saw was one where a couple of passengers floated in the sky after the train left the station. I have put in over 40 hours into the game. Got 100% in the single player game. Time well spent. I guess some of us are just lucky.

Or maybe it's redemption for the two times I got the "purple nines" glitch in GTA3. I put in almost 200 hours into that game to finally get the 100% because of that glitch.

TTG

Truelize said:
Brick building in Blackwater directly across from the train station has a ladder on the side facing the station. Climb the ladder. Stand on the lower level until it you need to go to the top to avoid gunfire, you will figure that out for yourself. Then climb to the top level and stand directly in front of the ladder on the top of the three small steps at the top of the ladder. You can stand here and swing the camera back and forth between looking towards the train station and looking towards the park in front of city hall. Every time you swing back to each area more civilians will be spawn endlessly. Every once in a while a group of cops will show up and let you gain a bit more bounty quickly.
This system works perfectly. Once you are at $5000. Step back to the middle of the roof and squat down. Wait until your wanted meter is gone. Run across the street and pay off your bounty.

Achievement unlocked. :)

I went with clearing out the cops city by city, eventually getting on a train for easier travel. Took a while, especially because I killed the train operator towards the end bringing the whole thing to a halt, but it's more fun than camping in one spot. :D

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
TTG said:
I went with clearing out the cops city by city, eventually getting on a train for easier travel. Took a while, especially because I killed the train operator towards the end bringing the whole thing to a halt, but it's more fun than camping in one spot. :D

Agreed. But I had a really good time doing the Riding a White Bronco South achievement. So it's all good.
And honestly it was kinda funny watching the target practice NPCs looking a pile of their cloned dead bodies while I took their heads off. One the train station side I had a pile of men in grey suits. And on the city hall park side I had a pile of guys in white shirts and suspenders. The funniest part is when I went down to pay my bounty off I was kicking hats all over the place because the street was full of them. :D

Can someone explain how you're supposed aim while you're riding a horse? Am I just doing something wrong or is this meant to basically be impossible because you can't simultaneously use the right stick and hold down the A button?

Dead Man

unagisensei said:
Can someone explain how you're supposed aim while you're riding a horse? Am I just doing something wrong or is this meant to basically be impossible because you can't simultaneously use the right stick and hold down the A button?
Welcome to the Rockstar school of controlling video games. But actually, the horse should keep running even if you let go for a minute to aim, then you hit the button again. A bit crappy, but doable.

unagisensei said:
I think horses follow the path while you're aiming, but they don't know what to do at forks, so they choose a path on their own.

They don't, however, maintain speed while aiming.

Darkman M

unagisensei said:

Dead Eye is the simplest solution.

Meier

Just had Dastardly not work for me either...is it because I had the bandana on?

Did it again sans bandana and it kicked in.

ShockingAlberto said:
Yes and yes.

Nada.

This happened to me too. You have to take an innocent. The women from the carriage ambush show up as a red dot/enemy so I don't think you can get the achievement that way.

SamuraiX-

Concerning the Treasure Hunter Outfit...

For Scrap 4: Claim a Treasure Hunter bounty alive. How exactly do I differentiate between a Treasure Hunter bounty and a non-Treasure Hunter bounty? A guide says that to have unlocked the scrap checklist for the outfit I had to kill a Treasure Hunter, but I can't even begin to recall when this could have been. Could someone offer a quick explanation? Thanks in advance.

SamuraiX- said:

For Scrap 4: Claim a Treasure Hunter bounty alive. How exactly do I differentiate between a Treasure Hunter bounty and a non-Treasure Hunter bounty? A guide says that to have unlocked the scrap checklist for the outfit I had to kill a Treasure Hunter, but I can't even begin to recall when this could have been. Could someone offer a quick explanation? Thanks in advance.

Read the bounty poster. It clearly answers what you're asking.

Timber

Just completed the I Know You stranger task. Definitely the most interesting one of the bunch.

So... is the dude just a
manifestation of Marston's conscience?
That's how I saw it.

SamuraiX- said:

Treasure Hunters are like Walton Gang or Banditos, they are a specific group. You can find the bounty for this, when it appears, from the same place it asks you to win at blackjack.

Timber said:
Just completed the I Know You stranger task. Definitely the most interesting one of the bunch.

So... is the dude just a
manifestation of Marston's conscience?
That's how I saw it.
I think it's open to interpretation

I thought he was Death or something in that arena. He keeps talking about Marsten's morals and how many men he's killed. I like the Marsten's conscience thing, but he knew things about people Marsten didn't know.

Timber

ShockingAlberto said:
I think it's open to interpretation

I thought he was Death or something in that arena. He keeps talking about Marsten's morals and how many men he's killed. I like the Marsten's conscience thing, but he knew things about people Marsten didn't know.
Wait a minute...
Arena? I guess I haven't completed it, then. I last saw him in Great Plains and Marston tried to shoot him.
The game told me I'd completed the task and it's no longer on the list, plus I got the achievement for completing 15 Stranger tasks. So it's not over yet after the encounter in Great Plains?

Top Bottom