• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

ShockingAlberto said:
There is really no reason I should have to watch the skinning and looting animations EVERY TIME.

I'll be honest. Watching the Marston animation of picking up a hogtied bounty then the animation of placing him on the horse knowing other bandits are on their way annoys me after a while.

Truelize said:
I thought all of those challenges were a joke because they were so easy. I rode up Khan's area. Rode up the bank so I standing on the raised area of the opening in the rock. Aimed into the field and shot him. Did almost the same for the rest too. Was hoping for some awesome battle.

Oh well
They're just regular animals that have had legends built around them because they are rare in that part of the world

And if, for whatever reason, you actually are struggling, every legendary area has a building in it where you hide in and safely shoot out of.

Gooster said:
I'll be honest. Watching the Marton animation of picking up a hogtied bounty then the animation of placing him on the horse knowing other bandits are on their way annoys me after a while.
Yeah. I got oddly frustrated once when I kept trying to put a hogtied outlaw next to the lawman and my horse kept running in front of me, as the buttons for "put down" and "put on the horse" are the same. So I'd have to keep watching that animation over and over.

Barrett2

As soon as i finish the story, I'm going whole hog (zing) into the hunting missions.

I wish it was easier to get more clothing options. I'm just not interested in riding all over the place to find crap to unlock outfits. Just let me buy them at a freaking store in a town!

lawblob said:
As soon as i finish the story, I'm going whole hog (zing) into the hunting missions.

I wish it was easier to get more clothing options. I'm just not interested in riding all over the place to find crap to unlock outfits. Just let me buy them at a freaking store in a town!
Too many of the outfits rely on random events

There's no indication when and where the bounty you need to get will come up, but it's often necessary.

soldat7

Gooster said:
Question about the "Poppycock" stranger's mission:

Is there a way to keep the $1,000 and not fail this quest? I figured since I just delivered opium a hell of a distance, I considered it a "delivery fee" of sorts. The option is to press B and hand the money over, or keep it. I just walked away, got on my horse and rode off and I see that I failed it.

I just walked away and never passed or failed that mission. He's still waiting there for his money. :lol

ShockingAlberto said:
Yeah. I got oddly frustrated once when I kept trying to put a hogtied outlaw next to the lawman and my horse kept running in front of me, as the buttons for "put down" and "put on the horse" are the same. So I'd have to keep watching that animation over and over.

This is super annoying.

LQX

SkinnyPupp said:
But this game is MATURE for MATURE AUDIENCES but in a MATURE way
Uh? Aside for some quirkiness It is a very mature game. That dialog with the Indian and doctor is some of the best dialog I have every heard in a game. They didn't shy away from something that was once very controversial.

Barrett2

I think the TV spots for this game are great. The elixir salesman lines plus the glowing quotes from the NY Times mixed with the music... it is very effective, IMO.

Colocho said:
After seeing the apparent romance GAF has with this game , I've decided to look into it, the thing is I don't like open world games all that much (or at all really). GTA IV was ok at best imo and that's about the only one I've played this gen, is this game for me?

Nope. Just another open world game done extremely well and in a fresh setting. But it's still an open world game. I am saddened to hear you don't like OW games though, have been so many excellent ones this generation. But if you don't like the genre don't get caught up in the hype of a new one, you'll still dislike the game.

Meier

dreamer3kx said:
Anybody who finished it are you continuing play-through?
I am.. trying to get a few more achievements. The bounty ones are proving difficult since my max fame cuts them in half I believe.

Anyone have any recommendations for the lvl 10 sharpshooting challenge? I assume you can only do it on a hideout area with the Repeater that holds 22 bullets..

I have a question about your horse at the end of the game. End spoilers, so don't read if you haven't finished it.

After the Last Enemy That Shall Be Destroyed mission when I began playing as Jack, the game didn't give me back my awesome Hungarian Half-bred horse (the all white one). Instead I got some slow-ass brown one. Later I was reading character trivia on Read Dead Wiki and for Jack it said "He retains all of his dad's possessions even his horse." So what the hell? I loaded up an older save and redid the final mission, still no returning horse. Did anyone actually have their horse returned to them? Did mine manage to get killed on it's own both times? What the F! I could go hunt or buy a new one, but I was really attached to that digital animal and had it for so long :(

ohmycar.gif

Oh, my horse!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Meier said:
Anyone have any recommendations for the lvl 10 sharpshooting challenge? I assume you can only do it on a hideout area with the Repeater that holds 22 bullets..

I did it inside the Gaptooth mines where you only face 1 or 2 enemies at a time and can focus on shooting their weapon.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Truelize said:
I thought all of those challenges were a joke because they were so easy. I rode up Khan's area. Rode up the bank so I standing on the raised area of the opening in the rock. Aimed into the field and shot him. Did almost the same for the rest too. Was hoping for some awesome battle.

Oh well

I went like a man and stayed on ground

ThirstyFly said:
I have a question about your horse at the end of the game. End spoilers, so don't read if you haven't finished it.

After the Last Enemy That Shall Be Destroyed mission when I began playing as Jack, the game didn't give me back my awesome Hungarian Half-bred horse (the all white one). Instead I got some slow-ass brown one. Later I was reading character trivia on Read Dead Wiki and for Jack it said "He retains all of his dad's possessions even his horse." So what the hell? I loaded up an older save and redid the final mission, still no returning horse. Did anyone actually have their horse returned to them? Did mine manage to get killed on it's own both times? What the F! I could go hunt or buy a new one, but I was really attached to that digital animal and had it for so long :(

ohmycar.gif

Oh, my horse!

You should still have your 'deeds' to your horse. Just go into your menu and summon yer speedy horse

Piper Az

The dynamic weather and lighting in this game is simply awesome. Love how everything blends when I'm just riding my horse around in like a beautiful painting.

WHOA THE ENDING. HOLY GOD.

End Spoiler:

John's dead. Abigail is dead. Uncle is dead. I just took control of Jack at the gravesite. Is the story done? No end credits? I paused the game right there to make this post because I am in shock. Bravo Rockstar. Bravo.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
does anyone know a way around the goddamn free roam loading screen of hell bullshit??

I was in a game just fine, get kicked from session, and then I'm stuck on loading screen forever! Only way out is to go to xbox dashboard.

then I can't join or start any free roam sessions ever, I can't rejoin the game, I can't join a new game, nothing. I restart my xbox, clear my cache, what the fuck is wrong with it.

Mojojo

criesofthepast said:
WHOA THE ENDING. HOLY GOD.

End Spoiler:

John's dead. Abigail is dead. Uncle is dead. I just took control of Jack at the gravesite. Is the story done? No end credits? I paused the game right there to make this post because I am in shock. Bravo Rockstar. Bravo.

check the train station in Blackwater

Dementia

For those of you who get annoyed by the skinning animation, you can skip it if you position your horse over the right half of a dead animal (so you dismount on the left, right on to the corpse) and then mash triangle a few times. If it works you will see the pelts, etc added to your inventory but no animation. It works best for larger animals.

WEGGLES

Fuck the $5000 bounty.

Such a fucking hassle.

I was on the roof in Blackwater for like 2 hours an had $4467 and some dude sniped me. Fuck.

And cops stopped spawning 'cause they kept getting clogged in the theatre. :\

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Gooster said:
Question about the "Poppycock" stranger's mission:

Is there a way to keep the $1,000 and not fail this quest? I figured since I just delivered opium a hell of a distance, I considered it a "delivery fee" of sorts. The option is to press B and hand the money over, or keep it. I just walked away, got on my horse and rode off and I see that I failed it.

I could always reload a file, since I just purchased property in El Matadero. Thanks.

I gave him the money, then put on a bandana and aimed at him after he went outside. This will make him pull a gun and shoot at you, so just get into cover and let the law kill him. Then loot his body for $1000 and some change, with no hit to your honor.

MMaRsu

kaizoku said:
does anyone know a way around the goddamn free roam loading screen of hell bullshit??

I was in a game just fine, get kicked from session, and then I'm stuck on loading screen forever! Only way out is to go to xbox dashboard.

then I can't join or start any free roam sessions ever, I can't rejoin the game, I can't join a new game, nothing. I restart my xbox, clear my cache, what the fuck is wrong with it.

I have the same problem and we are not alone, fix this shit R*.

soldat7

Odrion said:
Is it just me or does Marston become increasingly more sunburnt as you play?

He looks pretty burnt after standing on a camp fire. :lol

And does it ever rain in Mexico? I've been there for a while now and no rain.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
soldat7 said:

I did the hideout all the way on the western part of the map and it rained for awhile after that. I've only seen rain twice in the entire game though, and the first is scripted. Maybe this one too.

soldat7 said:

yeah it rains there, you know what bothers me besides not being able to swim, thieves landing is always overcast, and hard to tell what time of day it is :(

Irish

I wish you wouldn't show up on radar when you're crouching in Free Roam. It would so much more fun because you set up ambushes or run up behind someone and stab them in the back. Still, getting the Gaptooth Carriage and rolling around with a six person posse is incredibly fun, especially when another posse attempts to stop you.

Aesius

soldat7 said:

I must be playing through Monsoon season. It's always raining in my game now.

bunbun777

Irish said:
I wish you wouldn't show up on radar when you're crouching in Free Roam. It would so much more fun because you set up ambushes or run up behind someone and stab them in the back. Still, getting the Gaptooth Carriage and rolling around with a six person posse is incredibly fun, especially when another posse attempts to stop you.

Word.

Also, I wish they had a hardcore freeroam, without auto assist.

My horse just, like, died

for no reason

It was at full stamina, I just turned in a bounty, and it was alive when I gently walked up to the yellow X

Then the cutscene ends and it's dead

Just finished the single player story. Loved the ending. The lyrical songs Rockstar chose for the big moments in the game were amazing.

Now to 100% it and then I'll jump into multiplayer.

ShockingAlberto said:

for no reason

It was at full stamina, I just turned in a bounty, and it was alive when I gently walked up to the yellow X

:lol

I go through horses like there's no tomorrow. The longest I had one for was an hour and a half today. I'm too fond of jumping off cliffs.

ShockingAlberto said:

for no reason

It's just sleeping.

Can someone please explain to me how the fuck to get a ringer in horseshoes? I line it up to center of horseshoe, hit the gauge right one white line, and the line is green. Still fucking nothing.

Top Bottom