• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ShockingAlberto said:
Liar's Dice is hilariously easy if you sleep somewhere near it and keep reloading until there's only one guy at the table

Then you just have to bet high but realistic and they'll generally be forced to bet higher and you know they must be bullshitting

There's a part of Lights, Camera, Action where you have to play Liar's Dice and, since it's part of a quest, the computer is retarded and pretty much tries to lose. So as long as you don't leave the table and continue to ante up, you can bet like $200 a pop and make a fortune taking advantage of the computer.

Liar's Dice is easy even with two people. Just keep it honest and have the other two bluff eachother out. Once you get a decent dice lead it's nearly impossible to lose.

Just got out of Mexico now, I loved the area. The missions were really well made and even if most amounted to shooting people I felt it did it well, unlike GTA4 with always felt like the same stuff constantly.

ShockingAlberto said:
Do you have to do all the survival/hunter/sharpshooter ranks to get 100%?

Yup. You get a costume for doing them all.

OnPoint said:
Thanks. I'll grab this as soon as I'm done with 3D Dot Game Heroes. I've seen a lot of talk about PS3 vs 360. Is there any real reason to pick one over the other?

The 360 game is purdier (better AA), but it's nothing significant. The PS3 version has some extra content, like an extra few gang hideouts to clear or some such, but it's nothing significant. I'd go for whatever your buddies have bought, as MP suxx without a posse you can trust.

Barrett2

Square Triangle said:
Im in Blackwater and I JUST now figure out I can camp and travel to waypoint.

Shoot me.
Yeah, it's a lifesaver. But hey, think of all the scenery you took-in while on horseback. :lol

lawblob said:
Yeah, it's a lifesaver. But hey, think of all the scenery you took-in while on horseback. :lol

Ihateyou.

Although I did manage to save a lot of strangers and herb the SHIT outta the ol' west in the process heh.

Aesius

criesofthepast said:
I just took my Kentucky Saddler deep into the mountains and executed that son of a bitch. Hated him. My new Hungarian is a doll. Love her.

I'll take an American Standardbred over either of those any day, son!

UrbanRats

I'm doing the
"Dutch in the bank"
mission in West Elizabeth. Wow.
Games's fuckin' great.

Too bad for
Luisa, it was brutal and a bit of a shock how she died. Also, that Reyes is an arse. :(
Kinda sell you on the point that the more "purest" characters die young, in the West.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Finished it, awesome game. Some story/character quibbles I'd do differently though. Anyway, off to doing the extra stuff, though I'll probably never get all of the multiplayer trophies.

Sanic

I caved and bought this. It's...alright so far. I'm not gonna come in here and hate on it, but i'm glad I didn't pay too much for it.

The world feels very alive, great graphics as well. Overall presentation is fantastic. And I can never seem to remember that you can stop and make camp out in the wilderness :lol.

UrbanRats said:
This game could use some "Fable 2 like" dog.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD

I was thinking the SAME thing earlier today. I would love a dog with me while I'm hunting to help me find stuff or draw attention away from me so I don't get rammed 3 consecutive times by 2 boars, or even to fight wolves with me or something.

UrbanRats

Net_Wrecker said:
GET OUT OF MY HEAD

I was thinking the SAME thing earlier today. I would love a dog with me while I'm hunting to help me find stuff or draw attention away from me so I don't get rammed 3 consecutive times by 2 boars, or even to fight wolves with me or something.
Also, in Armadillo when you whistle, the dog follow you barking around. :lol

Haunted said:
Well, that's not really a bug, is it? :p Hilarious story, though. :lol

Not so much I guess... but the death before this one I did do a quick travel once and it put me on the railroad tracks in the middle of the train killing me instantly and flying me under the ground.

Gooster said:
Sprinting, I believe, and something about pressing A to respawn quickly rather than letting it naturally occur.

earlier someone said they showed up while sneaking and i noticed that too, i snuck up on someone who was somehow waiting for me (assmuing he didnt see me first)

Klocker

JustHadToJoin said:
earlier someone said they showed up while sneaking and i noticed that too, i snuck up on someone who was somehow waiting for me (assmuing he didnt see me first)

yea I'm confused by this too... I KNOW for a fact that some people disappear off the mini map just not sure how they do it.

the sprinting (hitting A) and shooting gives away your OVERHEAD icon otherwise you are stealthy in front of someone...

as for the mini map? still trying to figure what makes people appear, disappear cause people know where I am all the time for DAMNED sure. :lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just play Liar's Dice really honestly if you want to make sure you keep your dice. I've had a perfect game about 5 times now, I love it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I love this game and it is probably my favorite of the year, but I gotta say that Mexico story kind of sucks so far. I am probably nearing the end of the Mexico chapter, but it just doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

Why the hell is John
helping all of the various factions? Why is he blindly helping these assholes without demanding any help find Escuela(sp?) and Bill Williamson? At least in the first part of the game the preparations to assault Fort Mercer gradually proceeded as John helped out other people with their tasks, but with Mexico there hasn't been any of that. John is just playing their bitch while getting lied to constantly.

Also, they really screwed up with some of the dialogue in the missions.
When I first got to Mexico I went straight and did Landon Ricketts' missions (which were pretty fun), but on the last one he started talking shit to me as if I was some double-crosser trying to play all sides of the game when I hadn't even visited DeSanta.

The Mexican environment is cool looking and I like that you get to visit Mexico, but I think the team kind of blew it with making the missions believable in the context of the story.

Tr4nce

I play alot of Liar's Dice here in Holland, in the bar with the usual visitors there, but the difference here is that a '1' is also used as a 'wildcard', so it counts for everything, and we don't put dice away. Also we play with six dice, and when you throw a 'straight' 1,2,3,4,5,6 it counts as 6 of one number. But I like RDR's version, although it's pretty laughable. I had one die left, and my last opponent had two left. Then the dude bids 4 x '3'. Yeah right :S

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Tr4nce said:
I had one die left, and my last opponent had two left. Then the dude bids 4 x '3'.

Hold on... gotta compute it

Entering data now!
bullshitsmall.gif

TTG

If you guys like Liar's Dice, I recommend the "lights, camera, action" stranger mission. It unlocks a dice game in Thieve's Landing that's 200$ a round. You can keep playing as long as you want, but once you leave, it's gone.

TTG said:
If you guys like Liar's Dice, I recommend the "lights, camera, action" stranger mission. It unlocks a dice game in Thieve's Landing that's 200$ a round. You can keep playing as long as you want, but once you leave, it's gone.

Aw shit, I played a few rounds of that one and liked the easy money, didn't know it went away if you left.

JMizzlin

Wow, I
fucking
suck at Poker. I'm aiming for the US Army scrap 3, where I have to 'eliminate all other players in a game of Poker in Blackwater'.

Any idea as to how best to do this? I'm thinking cheating and dueling players down to 1 at the table, then getting lucky and beating him. However I have a question: What does it mean to 'eliminate' a player?

Reknoc

Eye Drop said:
Wow, I
fucking
suck at Poker. I'm aiming for the US Army scrap 3, where I have to 'eliminate all other players in a game of Poker in Blackwater'.

Any idea as to how best to do this? I'm thinking cheating and dueling players down to 1 at the table, then getting lucky and beating him. However I have a question: What does it mean to 'eliminate' a player?

Eliminating them means they've ran out of chips and can no longer bet.

I ran into a person who wanted me to do a challenge and kill 4 birds before him so I accepted it and pulled out my bolt rifle and shot like 10 birds and they didn't count. I was blowing them up the second I shot them because of how powerful the rifle is.

So I switched to my default gun and shot them out of the air and they landed and it counted for it. I guess exploding the bird out of the sky doesn't count as a "kill" to Rockstar. If that bird isn't dead... I know what what it is.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
TTG said:
Just wait...

Rufus! Also, Fable 2 is way overrated.

The first time I played as Jack and went into his bedroom to save, Rufus came up to the bed just as Jack sat down on it. I was like "Awww Rufus!". :lol I was actually happy to see him after all the sadness of the previous few minutes of gameplay.

Just got done with the Liar's Dice side mission. Took me two reloads to get the hang of it, but to my amazement I enjoyed it more than the other minigames. That's saying a lot considering I really enjoy Hold 'em.

OldJadedGamer said:
I ran into a person who wanted me to do a challenge and kill 4 birds before him so I accepted it and pulled out my bolt rifle and shot like 10 birds and they didn't count. I was blowing them up the second I shot them because of how powerful the rifle is.

So I switched to my default gun and shot them out of the air and they landed and it counted for it. I guess exploding the bird out of the sky doesn't count as a "kill" to Rockstar. If that bird isn't dead... I know what what it is.

you can't count it as a kill if you can't prove it ever existed anymore :lol

Jhoan

I beat the game. The ending is
pretty powerful. I thought it was gonna end once I got Dutch but it didn't. I found it sweet that Marston wanted to rebuild his relationship with his son. The family missions were pretty good and charming. His wife foreshadowed that the feds were gonna come after him. It was one of the most messed up endings I've ever seen in a game. However, the biggest twist is playing with Jack circa 10 years later in the post game epilogue. Marston knew there coming for him. He could have gotten away. I'm guessing that Jack is now a peacemaker?
Now I gotta get the rest of the outfits, some challenges, achievements and awards.

Top Bottom