• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
How do you take someone alive for a bounty mission? I've beat the crap out of him with my fists but all he does is run away and i never have an option to hogtie him or handcuff him.

zombieshavebrains said:
How do you take someone alive for a bounty mission? I've beat the crap out of him with my fists but all he does is run away and i never have an option to hogtie him or handcuff him.

Gotta have the lasso.

BeeDog

zombieshavebrains said:

You actually have to use the lasso on him, then pull him in and hogtie him.

Risette

A Good Citizen
zombieshavebrains said:
Do some of Bonnie's missions and you'll get the lasso to hogtie with.

FrankT

Topped out my multiplayer character. Not even sure if its' worth it to go legendary just for the characters/mounts. Wish they would have thrown in a few more weapons.

The_Inquisitor said:
Seriously wtf. I get a perfect throw, and I overshoot the damn thing every time.

Then that's obviously not perfect is it? If you overthrow, adjust what you're doing, then once that misses a different way, change again, repeat 100 times and you should be fine!

HadesGigas said:
Then that's obviously not perfect is it? If you overthrow, adjust what you're doing, then once that misses a different way, change again, repeat 100 times and you should be fine!

A lime green throw got it. Is the wind effecting the shot?

J Tourettes said:
:lol

I go through horses like there's no tomorrow. The longest I had one for was an hour and a half today. I'm too fond of jumping off cliffs.
Just annoying because it seems impossible to get the "keep the same horse for 20 story missions" achievement because my horses keep glitching out.

Hixx

ShockingAlberto said:
Just annoying because it seems impossible to get the "keep the same horse for 20 story missions" achievement because my horses keep glitching out.

I've become very wary of whistling for my horse ever since the one you get early on decided to come to me via falling off a 100ft cliff.

I was so careful with that bastard horse too, leaving him well away from fights even if it meant a longer trek on foot :(

The_Inquisitor said:
Can someone please explain to me how the fuck to get a ringer in horseshoes? I line it up to center of horseshoe, hit the gauge right one white line, and the line is green. Still fucking nothing.

I got a ringer out of pure luck. I used the fine aim to put the post in the center of the horseshoe, but I just kept swinging Marston's arm back and forth and hit the trigger as the mark was a bit under the center line. I think the meter had turned green.

I hate horseshoes though. I played a game of it as part of a costume requirement. I find I don't really enjoy any of the games in RDR enough that I have yet to even play Liar's Dice (as dumb as it sounds, that scene in PotC: Dead Man's Chest turned me off to it to begin with). I might give Hold 'em another go provided I get a decent hand for a change.

In other news, I actually picked up someone who was actually stranded for a change! Granted, I had to protect her from pursuing thugs, but I thought everyone asking for help was begging to eat lead.

Liar's Dice is hilariously easy if you sleep somewhere near it and keep reloading until there's only one guy at the table

Then you just have to bet high but realistic and they'll generally be forced to bet higher and you know they must be bullshitting

There's a part of Lights, Camera, Action where you have to play Liar's Dice and, since it's part of a quest, the computer is retarded and pretty much tries to lose. So as long as you don't leave the table and continue to ante up, you can bet like $200 a pop and make a fortune taking advantage of the computer.

ShockingAlberto said:
There's a part of Lights, Camera, Action where you have to play Liar's Dice and, since it's part of a quest, the computer is retarded and pretty much tries to lose. So as long as you don't leave the table and continue to ante up, you can bet like $200 a pop and make a fortune taking advantage of the computer.

That's good to know. I haven't actually finished that mission yet. :lol

Irish

bunbun777 said:
Word.

Also, I wish they had a hardcore freeroam, without auto assist.

Yeah, it sucks when it seems like you're the only one using expert. Last night was the first time I tried casual and I was amazed at just how much auto-aim there was. If you just tap L2, your character will turn completely around and pinpoint a dudes chest. I haven't checked normal yet. (I'm talking Free Roam only.)

Cant play liars dice at thieves landing because I have my honor maxed out, I need to do a strangers mission there, Ive seen it mentioned here but dont know what to do.

I learned early on that crime doesn't pay. I put someone down on the track and just as the train got there my horse walked right in front of it. Funny, but I was in the middle of nowhere. :(

Kimo

Neo Member
dreamer3kx said:
Cant play liars dice at thieves landing because I have my honor maxed out, I need to do a strangers mission there, Ive seen it mentioned here but dont know what to do.
Buy a bandana and wear it.

Solo

What is everyone using for their brightness/contrast/saturation? Im trying to find the sweet spot.

Im on a Panny plasma FYI.

Just started the game an hour or two ago. Visual orgasm for a fan of westerns like me, but the game itself is pretty slow in starting.

Solo said:
What is everyone using for their brightness/contrast/saturation? Im trying to find the sweet spot.

Just started the game an hour or two ago. Visual orgasm for a fan of westerns like me, but the game itself is pretty slow in starting.

I use

From the default setting
Brightness +1
Contrast -1
Saturation Max

playing on a X360 using VGA cables with resolution set to 1650 x 1080 and video settings set to expanded.

bunbun777

Pizza Luigi said:
So what weapon best to use to kill a bear in one shot. It's a sharpshooter challenge and it's not working with my shotgun or sniper. Help!

Well there is the Buffalo Rifle- Though my favorite to use was the semi auto shotgun. The trick is to hit the dead eye right before the bear strikes you, then *kabow* right between the eyes. Exciting!

Marvie_3

Banned
The_Inquisitor said:
Uh, I am talking about horseshoes.

Edit: Got it on a bad throw. What a terrible mechanic.
Yeah, horseshoes sucks.

HixxSAFC said:
I've become very wary of whistling for my horse ever since the one you get early on decided to come to me via falling off a 100ft cliff.

I was so careful with that bastard horse too, leaving him well away from fights even if it meant a longer trek on foot :(
:lol :lol

Risette

A Good Citizen
Solo said:

Brightness default, Contrast/saturation +1

Costanza

Banned
Solo said:

Yeah, I was actually kind of disappointed with the first couple of hours but it REALLY picks up.

Spent 30 minutes trying to get the Horseshoe Dead Ringer trophy when I finally say hey I'm going to put on some Metric using custom soundtracks and BOOYAH got it on my first try.

At first I cared about keeping my horse alive, but when I realised that after you buy a deed, you can summon one whenever, I stopped giving a shit (after I got the "beat 20 missions without hitching a new horse" achievement), and viewed them as expendable. I advise new players to do the same, as if you get attached to your horse, it will just frustrate you when it inevitably dies, especially when it's the own damn thing's fault.

I can honestly say that 90% of the time I die is because of a bug. For instance today I shot a bunch of gang members trying to ambush me on the street and while I was looting their bodies by pressing Y a random guy rode by. Of course, by pressing Y to loot I instead dragged him off his horse and an eyewitness saw me then the dude plugged a shotgun into my back.

Where is the "Sorry about that, won't happen again" button?

Hixx

Ben2749 said:
At first I cared about keeping my horse alive, but when I realised that after you buy a deed, you can summon one whenever, I stopped giving a shit (after I got the "beat 20 missions without hitching a new horse" achievement), and viewed them as expendable. I advise new players to do the same, as if you get attached to your horse, it will just frustrate you when it inevitably dies, especially when it's the own damn thing's fault.

The mid-range ones you can buy all look naff though to be fair. The beige one you get early on looks good and comes with the stamina boost.

I finally decided to move on into Mexico and got given another bloody horse. Although the scene made up for it
:lol

Man I love Irish.

Haunted

OldJadedGamer said:
I can honestly say that 90% of the time I die is because of a bug. For instance today I shot a bunch of gang members trying to ambush me on the street and while I was looting their bodies by pressing Y a random guy rode by. Of course, by pressing Y to loot I instead dragged him off his horse and an eyewitness saw me then the dude plugged a shotgun into my back.

Where is the "Sorry about that, won't happen again" button?
Well, that's not really a bug, is it? :p Hilarious story, though. :lol

Barrett2

Every time i get arrested, the game completely freezes. Fortunately, that's the only showstopper bug i have seen. My play through has been fairly clean. I did have one mission where a bunch of guards were posed like... Jesus on the cross, standing on their rifles like surfboards. I just stared for minutes.

Aspiring

On the Horse Shoes game i cannot fucking get it! Than the one time when i thought that i actually did, it was resting on the ringer!!! WTF, all i needed was for it to drop but nope. I mean C'MON!!!

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Aspiring said:
On the Horse Shoes game i cannot fucking get it! Than the one time when i thought that i actually did, it was resting on the ringer!!! WTF, all i needed was for it to drop but nope. I mean C'MON!!!

The shoe isn't strong with this one

WOW. Nothing like hunting wolves/boar/cougars near Thieves Landing with THIS playing, then riding back up to Armadillo with a live bounty and walking in the middle of the road with THIS playing. Way to go me for making this game even more epic. :D

Kak.efes

Two issues, one major, one minor.

1: My only real major issue are the ghost towns in free roam, the world is completely barren of people, as well as the inability to partake in any of the mini games with actual people and friends.

2: A minor issue, the animations for hitching your horse, picking herbs, skinning, jumping to the roof of a rail car, and killing enemies from close range, really detract from the fluidity of gameplay. All of these dynamics should be seamless.

Game is top notch regardless.

OnPoint said:
Alright my curiosity is getting the best of me.

I loved GUN.

Is this a worthy substitution for GUN 2?

It's the best parts of Gun, blended with the best parts of RD: Revolver, with the excellent production values and polish (for the most part) that you'd expect from a Rockstar game. You ought to pick this one up.

Lulz, I got the Horseshoe trophy in my first game. 6-7 games since then I haven't come close to repeating that feat.

Though I'm only about 60% through the story, I'm anxious to find out when expansions/DLC will be released for this game. Hopefully there isn't another 10 month wait, a la The Lost & Damned.

OnPoint

bonesmccoy said:
It's the best parts of Gun, blended with the best parts of RD: Revolver, with the excellent production values and polish (for the most part) that you'd expect from a Rockstar game. You ought to pick this one up.

Lulz, I got the Horseshoe trophy in my first game. 6-7 games since then I haven't come close to repeating that feat.

Though I'm only about 60% through the story, I'm anxious to find out when expansions/DLC will be released for this game. Hopefully there isn't another 10 month wait, a la The Lost & Damned.

Thanks. I'll grab this as soon as I'm done with 3D Dot Game Heroes. I've seen a lot of talk about PS3 vs 360. Is there any real reason to pick one over the other?

Top Bottom