• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Net_Wrecker said:
The character dialogue is so good WATIZRONGWITHYOU?!?!

But seriously, I watched the WHOLE
conversation between West Dickens, and Marston where he "drove" you to one of the races I think
without skipping it, but the first thing that went through my mind is "How many player will just skip this, and miss the whole conversation?" I loved all of them.

Than again, I've only use fast travel once in like 30 hours of gametime so maybe I'm the crazy one.

I watched some of them initially, including the one you mentioned, but the further I got into the game the more I simply skipped to the destination and/or fast traveled.

rc213

Just picked this up today, So fucking awesome. Even missed the 1st half of the Lakers game because I didn't want to stop playing.

If anyone wants to play some MP just add me, Haven't tried it yet though.

PSN: rc213

PST

Jhoan

I really beat it about 30 minutes.
The real ending was badass. It was nice to finally put a hole in that government douchebag's head. I loved the Red Dead Redemption pause with Jack before cuting off to the credits. That was badass. All the missions that John did with Jack were basically his "tutorial" missions. It's funny that he said that he didn't want Jack to follow in his footsteps when he himself killed a man or rather, men I should say. I think that's the whole Redemption part. John had to go after his comrades in order to redeem himself to his son. His son then redeems his father by offing Edgar or something like that. I can't wait to see where R* goes with the single player DLC because Jack obviously has as much of story as John does or maybe it may not be necessary, but still, I'm intrigued by him nonetheless. It sucks that the cities don't look like they've aged. Jack didn't become a "rich industrialist who wrote Old West novels". He became the Old West novels himself. So that's interesting.

By the way, I saw the in engine Red Dead Redemption 30 minute movie and let me tell ya, it was a recap of the
New Austin story all the way up to Fort Mercer
and it was basically a marketing ploy. It was a waste of 30 minutes if you have the game. Some of the action bits look like they were cut with live action e.g. people diving, etc. Elrechazao (nice name), the stamina transfers over to the all the horses I believe.

dreamer3kx said:
No your horses dont get leveled up in any way, some are faster then others but thats it.
Why did I get a message at one point that my horse trusts me, or is now more loyal or something a few hours ago then? top left corner, and it said that it would have more stamina now. I don't think I imagined it...

elrechazao said:
Why did I get a message at one point that my horse trusts me, or is now more loyal or something a few hours ago then? top left corner, and it said that it would have more stamina now. I don't think I imagined it...

When you get a brand new horse it has less stamina than one you keep for, oh, about 5 minutes.

So there is a very light "leveling up" but from what I could tell it was very quick and it caps fast.

Klocker

elrechazao said:

get on a random horse and you will see the blue left bar is only 3/4 full... ride your own horse (and to answer your question) ANY horse you own, hitch or use deed to and it fills the bar completely, translating the loyalty/improved stamina over to each.

Meier

Finally got a ringer! Just fucked up and barely missed the Liar's Dice achievement though...only lost 1 in the end against 2 guys. :( forgot that if they bid 2 and there's more than their bid, you lose for saying it's wrong. Ugh.

Square Triangle said:
I can't find this last buffalo to save my life. Damn you Miller

I killed all the ones in the main field and had one left to kill, I went to the south near the water and found 2 just hanging around there.

SamuraiX-

How come the picture of the boar in New Austin doesn't match up with where its placed on the map. I go to that location and I can't find a single boar around. But I know for a fact that there are boars around the McFarlane Ranch because I saw a random event where one guy was hunting one, he killed it, and I skinned it.

Can anyone offer any hints for this one?

squicken

Tons of boars in Tall Trees, and I've also found the map pictures wildly inaccurate. There's no Big Horn below the snowline, for instance.

kingslunk

I hate rain in real life. Like I really hate rain. Before this game I never though it was possible to hate rain in a game. But man do I hate rain in this game they did it perfectly. Good job R*. :lol

squicken said:
Tons of boars in Tall Trees, and I've also found the map pictures wildly inaccurate. There's no Big Horn below the snowline, for instance.

There are bighorn below the snow line, south east in the tall tree's area (outside of the town where you can buy a house)

Edit: Could be interpreting this wrong as im at work and cant look at the map.

So, I've just started scratching the surface of Mexico. 1 day, 2 hours, 46 minutes, and 41 seconds in - and I'm going to have to say that this game just might end up being my game of the generation. I love it.

Dead Man

OnPoint said:
Alright my curiosity is getting the best of me.

I loved GUN.

Is this a worthy substitution for GUN 2?
Late to this, but very much so. I loved GUN, this is a lot like it in terms of the atmosphere. It is set much later of course, but the protagonists resemble each other in many ways too.

SamuraiX-

Wow. Never mind. The map was right. Just found like 6 boars all along the railroad tracks exactly where the picture is on the map for New Austin. Sweet! :D

Sh0k

Trying to finish one of the side challenges to get a new outfit, i need to win a liars dice game in Casa Madrugada in Mexico. The problem is doesn't matter at what time I go to Casa Madrugada, the place is deserted, there is no one playing even though the icon in the map is lit. Is this a glitch in the game?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Jipan said:
I really beat it about 30 minutes.
The real ending was badass. It was nice to finally put a hole in that government douchebag's head. I loved the Red Dead Redemption pause with Jack before cuting off to the credits. That was badass. All the missions that John did with Jack were basically his "tutorial" missions. It's funny that he said that he didn't want Jack to follow in his footsteps when he himself killed a man or rather, men I should say. I think that's the whole Redemption part. John had to go after his comrades in order to redeem himself to his son. His son then redeems his father by offing Edgar or something like that. I can't wait to see where R* goes with the single player DLC because Jack obviously has as much of story as John does or maybe it may not be necessary, but still, I'm intrigued by him nonetheless. It sucks that the cities don't look like they've aged. Jack didn't become a "rich industrialist who wrote Old West novels". He became the Old West novels himself. So that's interesting.

What?

There was no "redemption" for anyone. John killed his former friends by being blackmailed. He didn't even want to do it. He did it because he was forced to. Not because of a need for redemption. He had already given it all up. Throughout this, he kills and kills and keeps on killing for mad dogs and fucked up characters (this is after the Bonnie/Marshall missions).

Then, you finally kill Dutch, return home and begin Jack's tutorial. He then dies for...what? For nothing. He couldn't escape his past and actually gave up (when he could have easily escaped with his family through the back). He doomed his family and caused his son to do something he never wanted him to do: Stepped right into his shoes and his world of death and killing. Did Jack "redeem" his father by killing the Federal Agent? No. He got revenge, but the cycle just begins again.

The real message of the story isn't one of redemption. It is that you can't escape your sins, no matter how hard you try. John Marston is a different version of Niko. No more, no less. I failed to see any "redemption" for him at all in the game.

JMizzlin

100% :)

The relief I felt when the achievement popped as I completed the last Bounty mission. I feared I'd have to scrounge about struggling to find what I would require for the last .1%

Finally Single Player is over I can focus on MP!

JustHadToJoin said:
I know you stranger mission:

what makes you guys think that that dude is God or the devil or whatever? what clues lead to that?

Did you finish it?

He shoots him, but nothing happens. He knows things about John's past that John doesn't even remember.
Ending spoilers:
The last meeting is up on the hill where John is buried and the guy says "this looks like a good spot".

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
So, I've just started scratching the surface of Mexico. 1 day, 2 hours, 46 minutes, and 41 seconds in - and I'm going to have to say that this game just might end up being my game of the generation. I love it.

Agree 100%. I don't think anything will top this for me. I've never been this absorbed into a story in a game before. Epic experience.

Greg

Are there matchmaking problems, or is online really that dead? I had to do the 'Win 4 team games in a row' by myself during 1v1 and 1v2 matches, and I can't find anyone in hardcore free for all.

TTG

It's official. Red Dead Redemption has the best lighting and whether cycles of any game, ever. I was completing some bounty missions, looking for that 100%, and there were so many moments of drop dead gorgeous settings. Mexico at dawn, the sun setting over the great plains in Blackwater... it's some of the most beautiful stuff I've ever seen in a game. And how about those thunder storms? They got the look of the scene from No Country for Old Men down perfectly, then I walked into a building and ofcourse all the lighting through the windows is in real time. Lightning strikes and there's a flash of light through the windows, followed by that rolling thunder. Walk outside, everything is wet, there are puddles, water is dripping off your hat and the wind is blowing through the brush and your shirt collar, epic.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
How exactly do you access the limited edition stuff??? I get a nice description of what I get on the back of the box but nothing telling me how to access it :(

sumo390

So, a quick question about the US Marshals outfit. It says I need to beat all gangs hideouts in 24 hours. What if I have already done a few as I progressed through the game? Do they eventually respawn or am I SOL?

leng jai

TTG said:
It's official. Red Dead Redemption has the best lighting and whether cycles of any game, ever. I was completing some bounty missions, looking for that 100%, and there were so many moments of drop dead gorgeous settings. Mexico at dawn, the sun setting over the great plains in Blackwater... it's some of the most beautiful stuff I've ever seen in a game. And how about those thunder storms? They got the look of the scene from No Country for Old Men down perfectly, then I walked into a building and ofcourse all the lighting through the windows is in real time. Lightning strikes and there's a flash of light through the windows, followed by that rolling thunder. Walk outside, everything is wet, there are puddles, water is dripping off your hat and the wind is blowing through the brush and your shirt collar, epic.

It is very good, but I liked the day night cycle in Midnight Club LA better. It seemed to have a better transition phase. In RDR it just feels abrupt at times. There should also be more changes in weather, I've played about 15 hours and its rained about 3 times, and I'm pretty sure it was because the mission required it to be raining.

sumo390 said:
So, a quick question about the US Marshals outfit. It says I need to beat all gangs hideouts in 24 hours. What if I have already done a few as I progressed through the game? Do they eventually respawn or am I SOL?
You can do them all as many times as you'd like, I believe.

Ominym

Banned
Kintaro said:
For nothing. He couldn't escape his past and actually gave up (when he could have easily escaped with his family through the back). He doomed his family and caused his son to do something he never wanted him to do: Stepped right into his shoes and his world of death and killing. Did Jack "redeem" his father by killing the Federal Agent? No. He got revenge, but the cycle just begins again.

Ending spoilers:

It's not about the fact he could have escaped or killed the men, I feel that John died because he hoped to (And it seems like it did) get the government to leave his family alone. He knew that even if he escaped, it wouldn't have mattered, they would find him again, and threaten his family once more. He already lost Uncle, who was it going to be next? Bonnie? Jack?

He knew that the only way to keep his family safe at this point, was for the government to get what they want. He saved them by dying.

Just like the government agents said to John when he asked why they didn't just send the army to kill Dutch, Williamson and Esquella. What did they tell him? Giving them a death like that would only romanticize them, making them martyrs for the already dense anti-government notions in the area. No one cares when one outlaw kills another, that's just the old west. But when they killed John to finish the whole ordeal, they did just what they had hoped they wouldn't do.

sumo390 said:

They respawn... I still need to do them again.

TTG

leng jai said:
It is very good, but I liked the day night cycle in Midnight Club LA better. It seemed to have a better transition phase. In RDR it just feels abrupt at times. There should also be more changes in weather, I've played about 15 hours and its rained about 3 times, and I'm pretty sure it was because the mission required it to be raining.

Are you in the desert around Armadillo? I'm almost sure it rains more certain areas, like Thieve's Landing, the climates change.

sumo390 said:
They respawn when you've done half. After that halfway mark, they respawn consistently.

You want to go ahead and clear them out through the course of the game, anyway. When you first do hideouts, generally you'll meet a guy who will want you to do more stuff (check out a mansion, go in to some mines) and that eats up more time. When you redo it, you can cut that guy's part out.

Meier

HadesGigas said:
Did you finish it?

He shoots him, but nothing happens. He knows things about John's past that John doesn't even remember.
Ending spoilers:
The last meeting is up on the hill where John is buried and the guy says "this looks like a good spot".
Wow, good call. Didn't put two and two together there. Forgot about that line.

Just got this game a couple of days ago. It really is fantastic. Never could enjoy GTA but I'm loving this game.

Anyway, if anyone would add me for some MP action, I would really like that. Just let me know you're from GAF in your invite message.

PSN ID is xlildragon

kingslunk

Sh0k said:
Trying to finish one of the side challenges to get a new outfit, i need to win a liars dice game in Casa Madrugada in Mexico. The problem is doesn't matter at what time I go to Casa Madrugada, the place is deserted, there is no one playing even though the icon in the map is lit. Is this a glitch in the game?

I have the same question, when does the city respawn?

Top Bottom