• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Ok, I just finished the game. Wow. I loved every second of it.

Warning: Endgame Spoilers!

Hunting down the FBI cheif as Jack, and then the cut to the Red Dead Redemption screen fading to the endgame credits. Jeebus.

I can't wait to give it another playthrough, but i may jump onto live for some free-roam first. Man... what a game.

Kudos Rockstar. Now, some single player DLC would be great thanks!

Solo

Game is getting a lot better after 4 hours, but it still doesn't have its hooks in me yet :(
There is some intangible that just feels missing. By this point in Vice City, I would have had to force myself to stop playing.

Can't praise the visuals enough though. Goddamn. The environments are stunning.

Solo said:
Game is getting a lot better after 4 hours, but it still doesn't have its hooks in me yet :(
There is some intangible that just feels missing. By this point in Vice City, I would have had to force myself to stop playing.

Can't praise the visuals enough though. Goddamn. The environments are stunning.

Really? I'm a huge fan of the GTA series, but after the quality of RDR, I'm much more excited about another Red Dead than GTA. The setting was just so well realised.

Truant

The gameplay, missions and story feel better tied to the world in Red Dead than the GTA games. There was a HUGE divide between that stuff in IV. The raw nature of the Wild West just suits this style of game so much more. Besides, it allows for more 'gamey' stuff like treasure hunts, exploration and whatnot. I had more fun riding around the world in RDR than I ever had doing anything in GTA IV.

With that said, I'd love to see a re-release of IV with the updated RDR engine. No dithering and all.

Solo

JordoftheDead said:
Really? I'm a huge fan of the GTA series, but after the quality of RDR, I'm much more excited about another Red Dead than GTA. The setting was just so well realised.

I guess what Im saying is I havent had a "ripping down Ocean Beach at night on a PCJ-600 wth "Billie Jean" blaring out of my speakers" moment of clarity (yet) with RDR where I realize that the game has made me its bitch.

RDR has better visuals and gameplay and writing than any GTA game. This isnt even debatable. Thats why I said "intangible". There is just that x-factor that hasn't been turned on for me yet.

bj00rn_

Banned
TTG said:
It's official. Red Dead Redemption has the best lighting and whether cycles of any game, ever. I was completing some bounty missions, looking for that 100%, and there were so many moments of drop dead gorgeous settings. Mexico at dawn, the sun setting over the great plains in Blackwater... it's some of the most beautiful stuff I've ever seen in a game. And how about those thunder storms? They got the look of the scene from No Country for Old Men down perfectly, then I walked into a building and ofcourse all the lighting through the windows is in real time. Lightning strikes and there's a flash of light through the windows, followed by that rolling thunder. Walk outside, everything is wet, there are puddles, water is dripping off your hat and the wind is blowing through the brush and your shirt collar, epic.

Yeah.. Heh, even my wife is impressed by the visuals, it's probably the first time I've seen her jaw drop over a game. Relatively speaking, in general it's probably my favorite looking game this generation (Though, as with GTAIV it needs a little of tweaking of TV and in-game brightness/contrast settings to look its best (360 version))

Tubobutts

Solo said:
I guess what Im saying is I havent had a "ripping down Ocean Beach at night on a PCJ-600 wth "Billie Jean" blaring out of my speakers" moment of clarity (yet) with RDR where I realize that the game has made me its bitch.

RDR has better visuals and gameplay and writing than any GTA game. This isnt even debatable. Thats why I said "intangible". There is just that x-factor that hasn't been turned on for me yet.

Have you reached Mexico yet? That's where I had my "moment."

Solo

Oh, one random thing: big props to the audio team on the thunder and lightning storms. I actually was fooled for a second into thinking that there was real thunder rolling through my area because they used the surrounds so well :lol

Solo

Tiamatsword22 said:
Have you reached Mexico yet? That's where I had my "moment."

Nope, I haven't. Trying to knock off all the New Austin missions first. Like I said, Im only 4 hours in. If this is like a typical GTA, Ill be at this for a good 50 hours the first playthrough, so Im sure it will happen sooner or later.

Mojojo

JordoftheDead said:

If a "RDR 2" happens, I hope it will be a completly different story and era of the Wild West . John's marston story is too 'strong' to pick up anything from it and it should be left to rest.

I'd love a game set during the Indian Wars, with the hero being a native :D Lots of great and controversial story material.

Dead Man

Mojojo said:
If a RDR2 happens i hope it will be a completly different story and era of the Wild West . John's marston story is too 'strong' to pick up anything from it and it should be left to rest.

I'd love a game set during the Indian Wars, with the hero being a native :D Lots of great and controversial story material.
I'd love a Josey Wales type of thing in a sequel. That would be amazing. Getting vengeance for a murdered family would be awesome in the setting they have made. You could even set it earlier, and have some left over Civil War angst or something.

Nightshade1765 said:
Ending spoilers:

He knew that even if he escaped, it wouldn't have mattered, they would find him again, and threaten his family once more. He already lost Uncle, who was it going to be next? Bonnie? Jack?

Bonnie?
I think you're in the same boat as me, wishing that would have worked out a little differently in the end ;)

Is this supposed to happen?

I am doing the stranger quest for the old lady looking for a musician. I found the musician, brought back his wife to him, but when I came back he was sitting on a guy's lap (or more like, in between his legs). The guy had his hands on his thighs, and appeared to be whispering into his ear.

But then the quest wouldn't progress... I just put the wife down, and he would make random comments. There was no consequence for him being cradled and caressed by another man.. I shot the guy who was doing it, but the musician ran away.

WHAT

THE

FUCK?

Haunted

With all the positive impressions about the ending I kinda want to check it out for myself so I can join the discussion/lovefest. :lol

Took a small break after the hunter's challenges got a bit annoying. Maybe I'll go back and finish the story real quick.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is there any option to just sleep? It's annoying to have to wait for it to save everytime I need to move time ahead.
just back out of the save, time moves forward as soon as you enter save mode no need to actually save.

Dead Man

Haunted said:
With all the positive impressions about the ending I kinda want to check it out for myself so I can join the discussion/lovefest. :lol

Took a small break after the hunter's challenges got a bit annoying. Maybe I'll go back and finish the story real quick.
Get on that. Your enthusiasm got my initial hype going. It's pretty awesome. I've been bitching about the mechanics, but the story is one of the best I've seen in a game for a long time.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
really? ... noone posted this yet?

nice werewolf fake :lol

142ze5u.png

t6dtva.png

Gravijah

Oh yeah, the game glitched on me (in a good way) and an entire town of sheriffs and such were shooting this shopkeeper that would NOT die, and I got to see euphorias glory going strong for a few minutes. The animations in this game are a sight to behold.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, Rockstar really should add some rare mythological beast to one of their open world games, it would be awesome. No more of the fake shit and I would love hunting for Big Foot.

idahoblue said:
I'd love a Josey Wales type of thing in a sequel. That would be amazing. Getting vengeance for a murdered family would be awesome in the setting they have made. You could even set it earlier, and have some left over Civil War angst or something.

A prequel playing as Landon Ricketts (sp?) would be awsome.

End game spoilers
Oh and another thing as Jack I got into random gunfight in the wilderness and he says, "I was trained by a gunsliger!" does that mean John? Or could it be someone else? Perhaps Landon again?

Sanic

Snuggler said:
Yeah, Rockstar really should add some rare mythological beast to one of their open world games, it would be awesome. No more of the fake shit and I would love hunting for Big Foot.

+1

I can't believe they haven't done something like this yet. I can't think of any openworld game that has, sadly...

Finished this the other night and got 100%. My only real complaint with the game was that the story was weak in parts, but still pretty well ahead of Rockstar's usual efforts. If they could have strengthened that up a bit it would have been perfect. Instead it will just have to settle for "oh my god amazing, easily best game of the year and nothing will beat it."
except maybe Fallout.

I got Alan Wake the same day I got RDR and hadn't touched it until yesterday after RDR was completed, and I just couldn't get into it. It's a well made game and all, but just really boring and repetitive after RDR. I may just have to go back for some RDR mp instead of hitting up Alan Wake again.

idahoblue said:
Voiced by Sam Elliot? Yes fucking please.

They should just make a game where you are Sam Elliott. They could set it in any time period too since his mustache makes him immortal.

Solo said:

Ah. I've had quite a few of those moments. I really loved RDR.
I know it's a big call, but it's my favourite game of the current generation. Mass Effect 2 has been knocked down a notch.

Gravijah said:
FUCK I NEED TO BEAT THIS GAME BUT BEATING THIS GAMES MEANS I WILL HAVE BEATEN IT AND I DON'T WANT TO BEAT IT

:lol

I felt the exact same way all weekend.

Truant

Entering Mexico is one of the defining moments of this generation. Wouldn't be nearly as awesome in a movie. Good stuff, Rockstar.

Anyway, the moment it really clicked with me was when I rode down to the desert after Henningan's Stead for the first time. Seeing the huge area below got me thinking 'Nice skybox, would be cool if I could go there'. And then I found out you could.

8=====D~~~~ :)

Trickster

Tr4nce said:
All of these people wowing at the end of the game. Is it that good? I'm so curious. Well, only at 30% so lots more to go!

Personally I hated it. But I always hate that type of ending, never feels satisfying for me.

Truant said:
8=====D~~~~ :)

You jizzed in your face?

Truant

The ending is different from what you'd expect from Rockstar game, or open world games in general. That's what I can say.

Also, it's not really the ending itself, but the part of the game before it that builds up to it.

That part was pure torture,
because you just KNEW some awful shit was about to happen.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Truant said:
The ending is different from what you'd expect from Rockstar game, or open world games in general. That's what I can say.

Also, it's not really the ending itself, but the part of the game before it that builds up to it.

That part was pure torture,
because you just KNEW some awful shit was about to happen.

And I made a pretty good music video about it :D

It says press B next to challenger to accept duel but it's not doing anything... The little B isn't coming up in the corner either.

Edit: And now he's not blue anymore. So weird.

HadesGigas said:
Did you finish it?

He shoots him, but nothing happens. He knows things about John's past that John doesn't even remember.
Ending spoilers:
The last meeting is up on the hill where John is buried and the guy says "this looks like a good spot".

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo i thought you meant ending of the i know you stranger mission :( :( :( :( :( :(

The fuck, no buttons work now, I can't mount a horse, accept a duel or anything else like that. Nothing shows up and pressing it just in case does nothing also.

Edit: :lol I hit a man with my lasso who was attacking a woman and it killed him. This game is glitching like crazy all of a sudden.

Finally finished with Mexico and Nuevo Paraiso. I must say, for all the jerking around, it was a very awesome conclusion to that chapter.

Shame about Luisa. Although as humorous as Abraham not knowing what the hell her name is and the "lol marry a peasant girl notsureifserious" moment, I almost wish the two had a genuine love story. I know Rockstar loves to write humor, but RDR is one of the rare occasions where I don't want to see that much of it, if at all. Although that animated movie in the Armadillo schoolhouse is goddamned hilarious.

Dabanton

JustHadToJoin said:
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo i thought you meant ending of the i know you stranger mission :( :( :( :( :( :(

Damm you should know by now don't highlight anything in this thread. :lol

Top Bottom