• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Opus Angelorum said:
How do I bring a bounty back alive in the early part of the game? Everytime I shoot them in the leg they either die or continue shooting.

This has probably been said about 25+ times (don't worry I'm not having a go at you! :D ) in this thread already, but you need the Lasso. You get it in one of the later Bonnie missions

Zeliard

Solo said:
Nope, I haven't. Trying to knock off all the New Austin missions first. Like I said, Im only 4 hours in. If this is like a typical GTA, Ill be at this for a good 50 hours the first playthrough, so Im sure it will happen sooner or later.

Yeah, take your time, man. I've played the game for 12 hours so far and have only completed 27.5% of it, and still haven't unlocked Mexico. If anything, it feels like I'm going through it too quickly (some of the side games, like poker, I've barely put any time into so far).

Agate

Neo Member
So, I just got this game like 2 days ago, having a blast, though I didn't get too deep into it yet. How is multiplayer on the PS3? if anyone can say lol

Numpt3

I've just been exploring the tall tree's are for the first time and the slow down is terrible (360 with the game installed) :(

Arcipello

Snuggler said:
Yeah, Rockstar really should add some rare mythological beast to one of their open world games, it would be awesome. No more of the fake shit and I would love hunting for Big Foot.

my brother said he read an article in one of the ingame newspapers about sighting of a large beast roaming around henigans stead, where bonnie lives....no idea what that is about.

KAOz

Short bus special
Damn.

It seems like there is no more then 8 people in a Free Roam session at all times. And 4 of them always being a posse. I'm starting to think I will never get the "Posse Up!"-trophy, which is the only online trophy (except for max level), I need now. :(

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Arcipello said:
my brother said he read an article in one of the ingame newspapers about sighting of a large beast roaming around henigans stead, where bonnie lives....no idea what that is about.
DSCF09876.jpg

Wizpig

Figures.
I'm playing multiplayer, shooting people and getting killed 20 times per second, and my fucking game freezes.

I saved the single-player progress before, but what happens now?
I lose my Exp? I'll be marked forever as a quitter?:lol

UrbanRats

Gooster said:
Finally finished with Mexico and Nuevo Paraiso. I must say, for all the jerking around, it was a very awesome conclusion to that chapter.

Shame about Luisa. Although as humorous as Abraham not knowing what the hell her name is and the "lol marry a peasant girl notsureifserious" moment, I almost wish the two had a genuine love story. I know Rockstar loves to write humor, but RDR is one of the rare occasions where I don't want to see that much of it, if at all. Although that animated movie in the Armadillo schoolhouse is goddamned hilarious.
I don't think it's just about humor there..
DeSanta said that Reyes was a "spoiled" guy acting rebel, something pretty common in actual political realities.
Luisa instead is a genuine poor idealistic "fighter", something also pretty real(infact, she's also young and naive, as she get used).. under the humor layer i see a fucking outrageous situation where, the only pure and genuine character, get killed with nonchalance, without a cheesy emotional cutscene, without a crying (i think this is intentional too)just a brutal killing, a body falling on the ground, soon to become a forgotten corpse, rotting in the sand.. damn.

Dead Man

Mr Solo Dolo said:
Even after reading the tutorial i still have no idea how to play Liar's Dice correctly:lol
Same, I have a stranger mission sitting undone because I can't wrap my head around the game! :lol

UrbanRats said:
I don't think it's just about humor there..
DeSanta said that Reyes was a "spoiled" guy acting rebel, something pretty common in actual political realities.
Luisa instead is a genuine poor idealistic "fighter", something also pretty real(infact, she's also young and naive, as she get used).. under the humor layer i see a fucking outrageous situation where, the only pure and genuine character, get killed with nonchalance, without a cheesy emotional cutscene, without a crying (i think this is intentional too)just a brutal killing, a body falling on the ground, soon to become a forgotten corpse, rotting in the sand.. damn.

True.
Any kind of Hollywood-type emotional scene would undermine the brutal integrity of the transpired events in Nuevo Paraiso.

Mr Solo Dolo said:
Even after reading the tutorial i still have no idea how to play Liar's Dice correctly:lol

Even though I've won almost* every single duel on the first try, I've no idea exactly how it works beyond immediately hitting the left trigger when it says "DRAW!" on the screen and whether to spam the right trigger or highlight when the target cursor is red or what.

I died like three times dueling that guy in the pregnant woman's quest in Blackwater. I didn't win until I spammed the right trigger, which I hadn't done previously until then.

Dead Man

Gooster said:
True.
Any kind of Hollywood-type emotional scene would undermine the brutal integrity of the transpired events in Nuevo Paraiso.

Even though I've won almost* every single duel on the first try, I've no idea exactly how it works beyond immediately hitting the left trigger when it says "DRAW!" on the screen and whether to spam the right trigger or highlight when the target cursor is red or what.

I died like three times dueling that guy in the pregnant woman's quest in Blackwater. I didn't win until I spammed the right trigger, which I hadn't done previously until then.
There was a good writeup on dueling a few pages back, basically wait until the corsshair is at it's smallest and 'fire' then. The winner is the duelist with the higher portion of the meter filled. 1 headshot at the right time should almost fill the meter.

Lakitu

st5fu
Damn my brother-in-law has been visiting for the weekend, he came in my room to get something. I had to get something myself and left Red Dead Redemption running. I'm around 93% complete and I've just been doing some treasure hunting. So he took it upon himself to take over and has been playing it for the last two and half hours, beating up horses and losing my honor :(

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
The fuck, no buttons work now, I can't mount a horse, accept a duel or anything else like that. Nothing shows up and pressing it just in case does nothing also.

Edit: :lol I hit a man with my lasso who was attacking a woman and it killed him. This game is glitching like crazy all of a sudden.

I did the same lasso thing a few days ago. I also rescued a woman by shooting the guy and she started to thank me when some guys inside the saloon started shooting at us for some reason and they killed her. :(

Mafro

I got the limited edition with the war horse as DLC, but that horse was overwritten when I did that mission where you get the white stallion. Is there any way of getting my war horse back?

Dead Man

Mafro said:
I got the limited edition with the war horse as DLC, but that horse was overwritten when I did that mission where you get the white stallion. Is there any way of getting my war horse back?
You should have a horse title in your provisions, select it and it should spawn a new horse.

Numpt3

rainking187 said:
I did the same lasso thing a few days ago. I also rescued a woman by shooting the guy and she started to thank me when some guys inside the saloon started shooting at us for some reason and they killed her. :(
Everytime I've seen a guy attacking a women outside one of the saloons i've always used the lasso on him. And everytime the lasso is an instant kill :lol

m0ngo said:
I've just been exploring the tall tree's are for the first time and the slow down is terrible (360 with the game installed) :(

I was just going to ask if anyone else was having this, the frames dip in this area for me as well, I have the game installed on a usb stick, every other part ran smooth.

owlbeak

dreamer3kx said:
I was just going to ask if anyone else was having this, the frames dip in this area for me as well, I have the game installed on a usb stick, the every other part ran smooth.
I have no issue with framerate in tall trees. I have it installed on my HD. Smooth as butta!

Numpt3

dreamer3kx said:
I was just going to ask if anyone else was having this, the frames dip in this area for me as well, I have the game installed on a usb stick, the every other part ran smooth.
Yeah it's been perfectly fine up untill this point, seems to be worse at sun set and sun rise for some reason :/

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yep, I went through the talls trees while it was raining and the framerate got pretty rough.
Aside from that, it only occasionally dips with I pan the camera in busy towns.

FromTheFuture said:
Just got this game a couple of days ago. It really is fantastic. Never could enjoy GTA but I'm loving this game.

Anyway, if anyone would add me for some MP action, I would really like that. Just let me know you're from GAF in your invite message.

PSN ID is xlildragon

I agree with you 100%. I'm not sure if it's the atmosphere, the story, refined gameplay or a combination off all those things but RDR is a special title that has sold me onto R*.

Add me too. My user name is the same as my PSN ID.

MDR1750

Neo Member
beat it last night and loved the ending.

I completely missed the "I know you" stranger task in my playthrough. after reading about it here I feel like I missed out :/

Ever had someone stalk you and your friends online in freeroam? It's quite annoying. Me and 2 friends were just going around (in a wagon, which is terribly inconvenient but fun nonetheless) doing gang hideouts and seeing how long we could survive against the law in Armadillo. But there was this one guy who kept following and sniping us from a distance. So I told my friends that we're going as far north as possible and we did. The sniper was mauled by a bear twice and never approached us again :lol

UrbanRats

Due to the 1€ Gold membership deal a got to try the MP before.. man, what a sad experience.
Gotta say, it's been a while, since i've tried online play(a year or so).. i hope in the free roam and after some lonely shooting in an hideout i raise a few levels.. so i start going after other players in the map(you know, that's why they call it Multiplayer, damn) we are two guys doing the Nosalida hideout, ok?Well, mid hideout, this asshole start shooting at me for no reason, even after i respawn.. isn't there a PVP mode for that? And if he wanted to do hideouts alone, he could have done a private match wich, now, seems like the only thing i'll do.
Man, people really get fun doing shit like this?Meh.
Next time i'll jump into a game with some gaffers if it's not a problem, cause i mean, if MP must be just running in circle shooting each other with no purpose, what's the point of getting hype from all the world map and shit?

Sry for the meltdown, i know it was probably just one asshole :lol .

Holy crap the spanish these mexicans speak is horrible. Why couldn't they get people that have spanish as their first language to read the lines or something? It's hilariously bad at times.

eznark

Banned
Does the % tracker only count story missions? I'm 15 hours into the game but only 45% through based on stats. (I've done a handful of Mexico missions, finished LR and done 1 each for D and L).

Branson

MDR1750 said:
beat it last night and loved the ending.

I completely missed the "I know you" stranger task in my playthrough. after reading about it here I feel like I missed out :/
So (ending spoilers)
You can't do it after the last mission?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Nightshade1765 said:
Ending spoilers:

It's not about the fact he could have escaped or killed the men, I feel that John died because he hoped to (And it seems like it did) get the government to leave his family alone. He knew that even if he escaped, it wouldn't have mattered, they would find him again, and threaten his family once more. He already lost Uncle, who was it going to be next? Bonnie? Jack?

The government wasn't after his family. If they wanted them dead, they would have killed them. They had kidnapped them. Remember? John honestly didn't know if they were dead or alive. In fact, the Government could have killed John right along with Dutch. In the end, John should have been thankful that he got to see them ever again in the first place. The Government allowed him some time with his family when it was obvious that they were going to kill him.

Uncle died because he was shooting back at them. Plus, he was a shitty character too. So, glad he died.

He knew that the only way to keep his family safe at this point, was for the government to get what they want. He saved them by dying.

Not at all. Again, he had no idea. The government could have easily picked off the family or killed them before. John did what he did because that's what you do in the time he was raised in. In doing so though, he doomed his family. His wife died soon after and his son picked up the life of an outlaw. Doomed to repeat his mistakes. How did he save them?

Just like the government agents said to John when he asked why they didn't just send the army to kill Dutch, Williamson and Esquella. What did they tell him? Giving them a death like that would only romanticize them, making them martyrs for the already dense anti-government notions in the area. No one cares when one outlaw kills another, that's just the old west. But when they killed John to finish the whole ordeal, they did just what they had hoped they wouldn't do.

Again, not at all. There is a difference. In the previous occasions, there were people there who would witness the military coming down to lay siege against those guys. When John was the last guy standing, they would freely move in. His farm was remote. No one would care. They didn't make John a martyr to give hope to a people. John's death only stained Jack's life. Sure, a government agent loses his life, but now the government will chase Jack forever.

Again. There is no redemption in this story. John never willingly did anything to "make things right." He was blackmailed into it right from the start and in the end, the cycle of killing will continue with his son. Something John never wanted.

Branson

BigAT said:
I believe that's the case. It doesn't affect reaching 100% though.
Ok thanks.
I still have a save before the mission where John dies so that's good. What's everyones opinion on Jack? After playing with John for like 40 hrs it's kind of interesting playing as his son.
(ending stuff)

squicken

Kintaro said:
The government wasn't after his family. If they wanted them dead, they would have killed them. They had kidnapped them. Remember? John honestly didn't know if they were dead or alive. In fact, the Government could have killed John right along with Dutch. In the end, John should have been thankful that he got to see them ever again in the first place. The Government allowed him some time with his family when it was obvious that they were going to kill him.

Uncle died because he was shooting back at them. Plus, he was a shitty character too. So, glad he died.

Dutch mentions to John that eventually they will come after John, as govt employees have to constantly find new battles to justify their salaries. I don't think they initially wanted John dead, or let him go to see his family. They wanted the at large and active fugitives brought to justice.

They let John go after he had done his part, and when they needed a headline, they killed him. You are right, their is no Redemption. John searched for it, he tried to give his son a better life than he had, and he failed.

kingslunk

Does Casa Madrugada ever get repopulated? I'm still waiting for people to show back up so I can play liar's dice but its completely empty still.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
kingslunk said:
Does Casa Madrugada ever get repopulated? I'm still waiting for people to show back up so I can play liar's dice but its completely empty still.

I guess Vash the stampede showed up there :lol

Haunted

Ending spoilers:

niiiice

Classic way for John to go out, and a nice touch of Rockstar to let the player continue with Jack. Also possibly a nice throwback to Red Dead Revolver (a son avenging his father's death), coming full circle of sorts. Or maybe they just took one of the many classic western conventions and didn't think of RDRevolver, who knows. ;)

Top Bottom