• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

K2Valor said:
Crazy thing happened that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread.

Riding around Mexico when I see a camp. Figure I'll go visit the dudes there. Turns out it's two mexican guys handling TNT. One guy says, " Go get that barrel, be careful. " (in spanish, of course) I get off my horse to go look at the camp, just gonna watch them for a second. The guy carries the barrel, and he stumbles and drops it - setting off a reaction which blows up all the TNT in the camp and kills me.

Fuck. :lol
:lol That's pretty fucking awesome tbh.

K2Valor said:
Crazy thing happened that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread.

Riding around Mexico when I see a camp. Figure I'll go visit the dudes there. Turns out it's two mexican guys handling TNT. One guy says, " Go get that barrel, be careful. " (in spanish, of course) I get off my horse to go look at the camp, just gonna watch them for a second. The guy carries the barrel, and he stumbles and drops it - setting off a reaction which blows up all the TNT in the camp and kills me.

Fuck. :lol

I got one of those in New Austin, I was considering stealing whatever they had in their container, but then one of them started talking about cigarettes and asked for a light. So I ran the fuck away just in time to not be blown up.

UrbanRats

Also, forgot to mention this but (ending spoiler)
after the cutscene with Phillip Ross(Edgar's brother)as i was riding away, a pack of wolves attacked him, driving him into the river :lol
Payback's a bitch?

Zeliard

Man, you guys weren't kidding about that song that plays when you start off in Mexico. Really set the tone beautifully. All of Mexico is just gorgeous in the game, and there's a very different feel to it than New Austin.

Cobra84

j-wood said:
So, now that this has been out for a little while, is it still worth the hype? I'm thinking about trading assassin's creed II (beat it) and just cause 2 (finished story, 30% complete) for it tomorrow.

Worth it?
Can't say it is. Its too short with nothing to to after completion. It makes GTA4 seem like San Andreas as far as things to do. The police are pathetic, never becoming anything more than 2 star GTA cops and horses aren't quite the getaway vehicle that a Ferrari is. There aren't any races or interesting things or challenges to do. The challenges in the game are more like pigeon / package hunting chores from GTA3 and 4.

Multiplayer is terrible. Free roam is nothing more than full lock-on auto-aiming mass murder and repetitive gang hideouts. The combat system and poor weapon balance really don't make for good competitive multiplayer.

The map is barren and bland, similar to Fallout 3. It is mostly empty desert, especially Mexico and the Western United States. Anything in the US West of the town of Armadillo may as well not exist. The third "island" is the only well done one. It is the most varied and its size is kept to a minimum.

I can't seem to get the Spurred to Victory trophy where u have to use the same horse in 20 missions. I'm already in Mexico and started this playthrough just for this damn trophy. I don't get it. I've stayed on the same horse the whole game. Fuck this.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
criesofthepast said:
I can't seem to get the Spurred to Victory trophy where u have to use the same horse in 20 missions. I'm already in Mexico and started this playthrough just for this damn trophy. I don't get it. I've stayed on the same horse the whole game. Fuck this.

I'm near the end and my horse just vanished once and a spotted horse came when I whistled, so I used the deed to get my old one back and it seems to restart the count anyway. Kind of hard to do this when the horse just changes.

Papercuts

What the hell are you guys doing? :lol

I'm at 26 hours and 75%, and I felt like I was wasting a lot of time.

Klocker

Papercuts said:
What the hell are you guys doing? :lol

I'm at 26 hours and 75%, and I felt like I was wasting a lot of time.

I have done several stranger missions, clear hideouts, hunting, engaged in lots of random events, lots of travel (and admiring the views and vistas) tracking down outfit scraps, hunting and breaking horses, kicking chickens, hunting, putting my mask on and getting into trouble, a couple of mini-games, tracking down wanted posters, oh and did I mention hunting? :lol I have also bought deeds to 13 horses. keeps me pretty busy... not to mention 15 or more hours in MP and Free Roam :D

is this a lot?

* Distance traveled by foot
* 55.24 miles

* Distance traveled by horse
* 220.73 miles

I wonder if the game is calculating time played incorrectly though as that still seems like a long time :lol

UrbanRats

Cobra84 said:
Can't say it is. Its too short with nothing to to after completion. It makes GTA4 seem like San Andreas as far as things to do. The police are pathetic, never becoming anything more than 2 star GTA cops and horses aren't quite the getaway vehicle that a Ferrari is. There aren't any races or interesting things or challenges to do. The challenges in the game are more like pigeon / package hunting chores from GTA3 and 4.

Multiplayer is terrible. Free roam is nothing more than full lock-on auto-aiming mass murder and repetitive gang hideouts. The combat system and poor weapon balance really don't make for good competitive multiplayer.

The map is barren and bland, similar to Fallout 3. It is mostly empty desert, especially Mexico and the Western United States. Anything in the US West of the town of Armadillo may as well not exist. The third "island" is the only well done one. It is the most varied and its size is kept to a minimum.
Nice trolling, a bit too obvious though. :D

So I was going for the Unnatural Selection achievement. Had every wild animal I could think of, turns out I forgot wild horses. Feel worse killing them than any other wild animal in the game. And just as he shoots it and the achievement pops up, he says "I'm a sad lonely man..."

MDR1750

Neo Member
is there anyone else out there who was completely unaware that a fast travel system existed in this game? I remember vaguely seeing it mentioned in an early tutorial mission or something and I tried to just click on the map fallout 3 style to fast travel. when that didnt work I just never thought about after that.

then I beat the game and THEN realize I can use the camp fire to fast travel. I never used the camp site because I thought it would be consumed in one use and I have a serious problem in games where I never use consumables because I think I'll need it more in the future.

I remember beating some
DeSanta missions
and having to literally run all the way across the map afterwards and how much that pissed me off. I would have totally fast travelled if I wasn't such a retard.

Cobra84

UrbanRats said:
Nice trolling, a bit too obvious though. :D
Not trolling, being 100% honest after being blinded by the hype. Outside of a nice campaign, the game is pretty bare for an open GTA style game.

MDR1750 said:
is there anyone else out there who was completely unaware that a fast travel system existed in this game?
Me. If i knew what I know now (stranger/animal locations, survival maps, horse deeds, campsites, efficient use of money) I think I could 100% the game in under 20 hours easily.

UrbanRats

Cobra84 said:
Not trolling, being 100% honest after being blinded by the hype. Outside of a nice campaign, the game is pretty bare for an open GTA style game.
I guess you didn't play RDR man, they gave you the box with another game in it, maybe GUN.
Cause what you said it's the opposite of reality.

UrbanRats said:
I guess you didn't play RDR man, they gave you the box with another game in it, maybe GUN.

I'm playing the game and really enjoying it, but I don't think that poster is trolling. I can see how RDR is not everyone's cup of tea.

UrbanRats said:

I'd say what he said was pretty truthful. Even the new mechanics like the lasso are undeveloped. I mean you can't even resolve the stage-coach by hog-tying the lady-bandit and handing her over the authorities, you've got to leave her for the wolves or train.

UrbanRats

PopcornMegaphone said:
I'm playing the game and really enjoying it, but I don't think that poster is trolling. I can see how RDR is not everyone's cup of tea.
"It makes GTA4 seem like San Andreas as far as things to do" Really? I call it trolling.

Cobra84

UrbanRats said:
Really? Give me something to do after 100% completion. Give me something to do in free roam besides the same 6 gang hideouts and getting spawn camped by casual aiming assholes. Competitive is hopeless, so I won't even go there.

Papercuts

PopcornMegaphone said:
GTA4 does have more things to do than RDR.

And I like RDR more. I appreciate the lack of cell phones.

If you count taking friends out to bowl or watch a show, then I guess, but RDR has much more actual fun stuff to do. I enjoy hunting, poker, blackjack, liar's dice, etc. while 4 was littered with boring shit I never wanted to do on my own free time.

Cobra84 said:
Really? Give me something to do after 100% completion. Give me something to do in free roam besides the same 6 gang hideouts and getting spawn camped by casual aiming assholes. Competitive is hopeless, so I won't even go there.

There's a reason it's called "100% completion". GTA4 had nothing after that point, it just took a lot longer to get because it had stuff like pigeon hunts and stunts to pad the time.

Gravijah

Klocker said:
* Game completed
* 38.7%

* Total time played
* 3 days 15:11:12

87 hours? :lol

4 days 4ish hours here, I'm at 50ish percent though and I'm going through the story to beat it finally now. Do I need to have the last area unlocked to get the
US Marshall or whatever
outfit unlocked?

conman

I'm sure this has been said a bunch in this thread (and elsewhere), but this game is more RPG than open-world game. R* has always pushed that genre definition in the past, but this is the first game where they jump whole-hog into RPG Land. Love it.

MDR1750 said:
is there anyone else out there who was completely unaware that a fast travel system existed in this game? I remember vaguely seeing it mentioned in an early tutorial mission or something and I tried to just click on the map fallout 3 style to fast travel. when that didnt work I just never thought about after that.
The "tutorials" (if you want to call those text boxes that) go by really fast. Overall, R* does a really bad job of teaching you how to use all the game's systems and mechanics. I'm loving the game tremendously, but it's surprisingly complex and there's no obvious or easy way to remind yourself how to do some important things (just like in some of the best RPGs).

UnluckyKate said:
That got to be a joke.

I'm finding a white horse that appears to be an Hungarian and I'm really happy with it for 3 minutes, jsut the time to find a stranger mission that ask me to... find a cow boy white horse !

HEY LUCKY ME, I have one juste here ! But when the cinematic ends, I'm with a brown horse.

WTF ?! I have to get back (a second horse) with a white one, give it to him and then, re-find (third time ?!) another one for me ?

That got to be a joke. I'm feeling like a horse smuggler or something.

you could just do the smart thing, rather than waste $750 bucks at the store on the deed, just give him the horse then when the cutscene ends jump right back on it and get outta there, ride back into town and pay your $20 bounty off

worked for me...

Papercuts said:
If you count taking friends out to bowl or watch a show, then I guess, but RDR has much more actual fun stuff to do. I enjoy hunting, poker, blackjack, liar's dice, etc. while 4 was littered with boring shit I never wanted to do on my own free time.

I'm not going to disagree, RDR is leaner for the better. But, GTA4 had more content and detail. What I hated about GTA4 is the cell kept nagging you to do boring side stuff. It drove me nuts.

Although to be honest I find the mini games in RDR pretty boring too. Mostly I enjoy the quests.

edit --

conman said:
The "tutorials" (if you want to call those text boxes that) go by really fast. Overall, R* does a really bad job of teaching you how to use all the game's systems and mechanics. I'm loving the game tremendously, but it's surprisingly complex and there's no obvious or easy way to remind yourself how to do some important things (just like in some of the best RPGs).

If you miss something it's in the journal.

UrbanRats

What is there to do in GTA4? Enlight me.
I liked the game, don't get me wrong, but aside from story mission and a bunch of stranger encounters, there wasn't much left.. a bunch of vehicle stunts, a bunch of drug dealers stuff?

Minigame are present in RDR too, pretty mch anything that was in GTA4 is in RDR too, plus you got the random generted events that may get boring after awhile, but asking for a game that generates complex shit forever and ever is retarded.
Not liking the game is cool, saying that is a bad free roam or even worst and more empty than GTA4 is crazy.

Also, to reply Cobra: After you beat 100% IT IS normal to have no much left, still you can go level up in MP, you can replay gang hideouts and random events as much as you want(wich was not possible in GTA4) AND you can do everything you could do in GTA4(raise your wanted level and shoot the cops).

Aurora

So I just finished all Ambient Challenges and unlocked the Legend of the West outfit. I'm really disappointed with how it looks; it's basically just a reskin of the Duster outfit :\ and what's worse I don't think the outfit actually does anything since the increased Dead Eye is given to you passively as a reward for beating the challenges. Lame.

On a different note, while I was hunting the legendary bear north of Tall Trees, the game informed me that I had found the bear but I had no clue where it was. All of a sudden I see it roll off a mountain already dead :lol

timkunedo

Aurora said:
So I just finished all Ambient Challenges and unlocked the Legend of the West outfit. I'm really disappointed with how it looks; it's basically just a reskin of the Duster outfit :\ and what's worse I don't think the outfit actually does anything since the increased Dead Eye is given to you passively as a reward for beating the challenges. Lame.

good to know. will skip trying to get it.

Cobra84

Papercuts said:
There's a reason it's called "100% completion". GTA4 had nothing after that point, it just took a lot longer to get because it had stuff like pigeon hunts and stunts to pad the time.
You can't really mess around in RDR at all. There is nothing similar to anything over 3 wanted stars, no epic getaways from 6 stars, nowhere to go, no interesting items or vehicles to use.
why can't I use the machine gun truck from the mission where you go after Dutch after 100%?

Cobra84 said:
You can't really mess around in RDR at all. There is nothing similar to anything over 3 wanted stars, no epic getaways from 6 stars, nowhere to go, no interesting items or vehicles to use.

Do people understand this isn't GTA? I've already put 25 hours in and just reached "Act II." That's almost 2 and a half times longer than most games these days. There's plenty in RDR, and don't forget DLC coming for the rest of the year.

Of course there aren't "epic getaways at 6 stars." Go play GTAIV for that.

Cobra84 said:

If you 100% a game you can't expect too much more. There's a lot of content in RDR.

Honestly, I can't imagine 100%ing a game I didn't care for.

UrbanRats

Cobra84 said:
You may want to look into other freeroams for more "asshole-ish"(not saying it in a bad way) kinda fun, like Just Cause 2 or Saint's Row, cause Rockstar really abandoned that path with GTA4(included).
GTA4, in that regard was pretty empty, really.. GTA4 was pretty empty in general.

Papercuts

Cobra84 said:

I felt the same in GTA4. Police just weren't the same compared to SA, where you could get cops driving tanks off a mountain. 4 removed the craziness of the wanted system and played it more by the books...I don't think this is a shocker in RDR either way, going into it should've been fairly obvious that there wouldn't be crazy vehicle getaways. Though I do atleast feel like trains could've had more done with them, like a fullblown train hold up or stealing and driving one yourself.

I'm really also not caring much about the "sandbox" aspect of the game. Doing story missions since the whole sandbox stuff is very tedious and boring. Theres tons of stuff going on, none of which is all that interesting though. The story missions are much more interesting and finding myself just going straight for those.

I'll go do something else in game and then be like... why would I ever want to do that again?

BattleMonkey said:
I'm really also not caring much about the "sandbox" aspect of the game. Doing story missions since the whole sandbox stuff is very tedious and boring. Theres tons of stuff going on, none of which is all that interesting though. The story missions are much more interesting and finding myself just going straight for those.

I'll go do something else in game and then be like... why would I ever want to do that again?

Hunting bears, and playing poker is just as good as the best story missions to me :D

Cobra84

Net_Wrecker said:
Do people understand this isn't GTA? I've already put 25 hours in and just reached "Act II." That's almost 2 and a half times longer than most games these days. There's plenty in RDR, and don't forget DLC coming for the rest of the year.

Of course there aren't "epic getaways at 6 stars." Go play GTAIV for that.
At 25 hours I was done with the story, all of the challenges, most of the strangers, and most of the outfits while barely using fast travel.

Sending a 4 man, revolver armed posse isn't what I expected after murdering the entire population of Blackwater. The game needlessly cripples itself when you just want to screw around.

Costanza

Banned
My biggest problem with alot of the side stuff is how fucking long some of it takes. Hunting especially becomes boring as shit when you have to watch the skinning animation over and over.

Net_Wrecker said:
Hunting bears, and playing poker is just as good as the best story missions to me :D

Killing one bear is no different from killing any other one, same with all "hunting" in the game. This isn't like Monster Hunter where you got some complex hunting routines to follow, you just find it, shoot it dead and skin it, not even a real challenge. Poker is one of the only semi interesting things you can do but you make so much money off missions and looting corpses doing storyline missions that I see little point or need to really work for money.

Costanza said:
My biggest problem with alot of the side stuff is how fucking long some of it takes. Hunting especially becomes boring as shit when you have to watch the skinning animation over and over.

Yeah. there's some sort of glitch where when you're standing close to the horse or something when you go to skin an animal it doesn't go into the skinning animation and just gives you the stuff. They should patch that in as an intentional thing.

Cobra84 said:
At 25 hours I was done with the story, all of the challenges, most of the strangers, and most of the outfits while barely using fast travel.

Sending a 4 man, revolver armed posse isn't what I expected after murdering the entire population of Blackwater. The game needlessly cripples itself when you just want to screw around.

I honestly don't understand how that's possible the first time through. The only way I could finish all of that in 25 hours is by rushing like crazy.

BattleMonkey said:
Killing one bear is no different from killing any other one, same with all "hunting" in the game. This isn't like Monster Hunter where you got some complex hunting routines to follow, you just find it, shoot it dead and skin it, not even a real challenge. Poker is one of the only semi interesting things you can do but you make so much money off missions and looting corpses doing storyline missions that I see little point or need to really work for money.

I'm not hunting or playing poker for money though, just cause it's fun to shoot bears, and play poker.

Meier

I am up to 98% now. I think I just have to finish the bounties and then somehow win at Poker in Blackwater.. so hard to knock them out. :(

UrbanRats said:
You may want to look into other freeroams for more "asshole-ish"(not saying it in a bad way) kinda fun, like Just Cause 2 or Saint's Row, cause Rockstar really abandoned that path with GTA4(included).
GTA4, in that regard was pretty empty, really.. GTA4 was pretty empty in general.

Totes. GTA4 had a big city, and lots of cool urban locations. But there is virtually nothing to do in those spaces. And I say this as a rabid GTA fan.

Plus, if you want '6-star crazy chases', go play Just Cause, RF:G or The Sabateur.
There's an obvious reason why you can't have those epic chases in RD: Redemption, beyond the simple fact that they wouldn't make any historical sense at all: You're riding open virtually 100% of the time. In GTA, and car-based games, you can be chased and shot at for hours because your health never goes down. Whereas in RDR, a 3 minute chase will probably leave you, or at least your horse, dead and bloodied.

dexterslu

Meier said:
I am up to 98% now. I think I just have to finish the bounties and then somehow win at Poker in Blackwater.. so hard to knock them out. :(

Just attempt to bluff the hell out of people, seriously I have no idea how to play poker and I've won 75% of my hands in the game. The AI get's all out of wake if you jack the pot up constantly.

Darkman M

Cobra84 said:

How much was your bounty? Because know for a fact at higher levels they send alot more people then that, At the highest level they will send 12 Posse members and 4 dogs.... . Blackwater has 50 lawmen that will chase you until you kill them or dodge them all if need be.

That Spurred Horse trophy is glitched to hell. Can't believe I spent hours doing 33 missions trying to get that. I've basically played through the story twice already. I'm burnt out and I haven't even touched multiplayer. I don't feel like touching it either.

UrbanRats

I really don't see where the fun was in having 6 stars in GTA4.. you got a shit load of guys shooting at you from every angle(cause they appeared from nowhere)and you were dead in 20 seconds.
Also, in basic GTA4 you hadn't any cool or exotic vehicle to screw around, eh.
At least in BotGT you get the Buzzard and the RIOTtank thing.
Still, ripetitiveness is part of all freeroams AFAIK.

Nelo Ice

Banned
criesofthepast said:
That Spurred Horse trophy is glitched to hell. Can't believe I spent hours doing 33 missions trying to get that. I've basically played through the story twice already. I'm burnt out and I haven't even touched multiplayer. I don't feel like touching it either.

i got that achivement the 1st try i could or at least i think so since i got it after u do the mission for irish where u
look for mg by lake don julio

Top Bottom