• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

I bought this from eBay

retrogames_perudo2.jpg

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I'm really annoyed at my horse and that shitty 20 missions with same horse achievement.

I'd kept the Kentucky Saddler ever since the Bonnie mission, I must've made it so goddamn close, story-wise I was like 3 missions away from crossing into Mexico. some of those were stranger missions so I decided to go tackle one at pikes basin. Approach until I see the enemies, get off my horse and trot on down.

I got to the stage where there were only two guys left. One was behind a boulder and the other was in the open, I dead eye'd them both and as I release the trigger my horse comes falling out of the sky right in front of me. Some of my bullets probably hit him, but he most likely died from the fall. My dead eye kills the guys and it auto saves. gutted.

Anyway now I've just crossed into Mexico, I intend to find a good horse before I do anything else and use just that until the end of the game, question is are there 20 missions left? Does it count all tasks or just story missions?

screw it the achievements on this game suck anyway, when I look at them there's barely any I care about and multiplayer achievements are the worst, especially team based ones that involve winning games on the bounce.

Pumpkins

Hey guys, for the parts where the music with lyrics play, did the audio cut out for you at all?

I was hugely bummed that the audio cut out for BOTH of the songs with lyrics for some reason, and replaced it with the standard overworld theme.

Basically one of the songs started playing, then I got on my horse and began riding towards my waypoint. Then the music stopped.

:( Bug? Kinda sucks because I was really looking forward to those songs.

Mr. Sam

Pumpkins said:
Hey guys, for the parts where the music with lyrics play, did the audio cut out for you at all?

I was hugely bummed that the audio cut out for BOTH of the songs with lyrics for some reason, and replaced it with the standard overworld theme.

Basically one of the songs started playing, then I got on my horse and began riding towards my waypoint. Then the music stopped.

:( Bug?

You didn't get off your horse? Because I did after a bit and the music cut off. Made me sad.

sladeums

@kaizoku
57 story missions and no other tasks count.

the mp trophies aren't that bad and can be easily boosted.
the only time consuming one is reaching level cap...but that can all be done in private match so is not too grueling.

Pumpkins

Mr. Sam said:
You didn't get off your horse? Because I did after a bit and the music cut off. Made me sad.

I don't think I did, it was really random. :lol

It just stopped abruptly. :(

Does taking out your gun make the music turn off? Maybe I did that...

Solo

I think the game has finally hooked me. It was Irish's mission with the
mine cart ride
that did it. Awesome.

Ive got about 12 hours in now and still havent been outside of New Austin :lol

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
is there any way to skip the animal skinning animation ? ( other than place my horse on or very close to the poor animal ) ?

Dead Man

I just had a weird glitch. I had my horse stolen by one of the guys by the side of the road, but I was slow shooting him, and he got miles away before I sniped him. I go get my horse, but the stamina bar is only part full, as if it was a new one. So I figured the game thought he got away and I lost the horse. To check, I tried whistling up a new one.

LOL, John took off and ran halfway across Mexico! I could control the camera but not his movements. After a few minutes of this, running in a dead straight line, he stopped, crouched by the side of a road for few minutes, then stood up and I had control back. I whistled up another horse, which was the same as my initial one (The war horse) and I went in my way.

Totobeni said:
is there any way to skip the animal skinning animation ? ( other than place my horse on or very close to the poor animal ) ?

No.

2rer438.gif

kaizoku said:
screw it the achievements on this game suck anyway, when I look at them there's barely any I care about and multiplayer achievements are the worst, especially team based ones that involve winning games on the bounce.

We did that with some GAF friends a few days ago. It was fun and kinda easy to be honest

Truant

Totobeni said:

Kill the animal in a steep slope or other weird terrain and you'll just get a prompt for the items received.

sladeums

Mr_Brit said:
Guys where exactly is the location of the second treasure? It's the one with Rio del Lobo written on the top.
near Rio Del Lobo where the road and river curve like pictured.
if you ride along the road keeping an eye open for the other landmarks shown it is pretty hard to miss.

this is in Mexico btw, so it may be early for you yet.

Mr_Brit said:
Guys where exactly is the location of the second treasure? It's the one with Rio del Lobo written on the top.

It's at
Rio del Lobo
:D

Fine...
It's in New Austin, look for Del Lobo rock... it's very close to the border river

more specifically... don't highlight unless you want to be pointed to where it is exactly:
Go east from Fort Mercer then down towards the river. Follow the dotted line on the map towards the river.

UrbanRats said:
Did they ship to europe, yes?

Seconded, I'd love to be able to buy some of this stuff but I need to be sure I can because I live in Europe. Any EuroGAFers have experience with the Rockstar Warehouse?

Truant

Mr_Brit said:

Go past where you have to find the machine gun for the first time, to the cop of that little cliff. Check the map.

Sharpshooter rank 8, how does this work? I got the half done, don't know how, because after the prior sharpshooter challenge with shooting off hats, I've never get it done again, they always die of a headshot. Any tips on how this is done?

berserk_ftw said:
Sharpshooter rank 8, how does this work? I got the half done, don't know how, because after the prior sharpshooter challenge with shooting off hats, I've never get it done again, they always die of a headshot. Any tips on how this is done?

Aim high, or to the side (hitting the brim).

You may find it easier to do with people wearing top hats or such. But aim just above the hat and you'll probably get it to happen. not sure if you can use the dead eye targeting or not.

I find it really easy to do... I actually make a game of shooting the hats off of the people I pass by on my horse :lol

Solo

Possibly the greatest compliment I can give the game is that Im travelling everywhere on foot/by horse. I havetn fast-travelled once, and I wont ever be. In a game like Oblivion, I fast travel everywhere, because the world is so boring. Not the case in RDR.

Also, has someone come up with a map yet that shows places with the highest concentration of each animal? Would make the hunting challenges a lot easier if I knew where certain animal was at least generally located, rather than wandering the map like a fool hoping to stumble upon something.

I used to always travel the longer way but now from time to time I'll fast travel. Depending on how lazy I feel and the distance.

I just hit Mexico and am now sporting a poncho. :D

timetokill said:
Aim high, or to the side (hitting the brim).

You may find it easier to do with people wearing top hats or such. But aim just above the hat and you'll probably get it to happen. not sure if you can use the dead eye targeting or not.

I find it really easy to do... I actually make a game of shooting the hats off of the people I pass by on my horse :lol

So you don't have to shoot of the hats and guns in one attempt? Then that would explain the status of the challenge to be half done, because of the two disarms.

Yesterday played a round of poker against 4 guys in Blackwater, won me a pot of 3700 chips :D But after three of them busted out, me and an asian guy where left. I literally played about an hour against this fucker, till I've finally got him to bust out.

After that all my hate was bundled in one bullet! The bounty was totally worth it :lol

I'm a bad person, I know.

Solo said:
Also, has someone come up with a map yet that shows places with the highest concentration of each animal? Would make the hunting challenges a lot easier if I knew where certain animal was at least generally located, rather than wandering the map like a fool hoping to stumble upon something.

From my recollection:

- Skunks, coyotes -- pretty much anywhere, I see them a lot at night. I did the skunks part entirely at the MacFarlane ranch
- Bears, boars, foxes, beavers, bobcats -- West Elizabeth. Bears you will find (or will find you) in Tall Trees. Look for beavers near the rivers.
- Wolves -- all over the damn place
- Cougars -- tons of 'em in Mexico, plenty in New Austin as well
- Dogs -- around towns
- What else do you need?

berserk_ftw said:
So you don't have to shoot of the hats and guns in one attempt? Then that would explain the status of the challenge to be half done, because of the two disarms.

Yeah you don't need to do it all in one attempt :D

Numpt3

Mr. Sam said:
Wiping out an entire pack of wolves with one quick flurry loses all its fun once I have the skin the buggers.
Yeah I think some aspects are begining to over stay they're welcome a liittle...

sladeums

berserk_ftw said:
that is correct
they are individual tasks, not simultaneous.
the way it is worded is misleading.
ditto w/ later challenges

neorej

ERMYGERD!
sladeums said:
near Rio Del Lobo where the road and river curve like pictured.
if you ride along the road keeping an eye open for the other landmarks shown it is pretty hard to miss.

this is in Mexico btw, so it may be early for you yet.

Isn't that the treasure near Rio Del Toro?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Definitely going to get some stuff from the rockstar store. :D

And marvie, you never invite me to kill bears with dynamite. :'(

But... why do I have to buy 2 itmes? When I try just to buy 1 It says I "don't have not reached the minimum order value"

Haunted

criesofthepast said:
That Spurred Horse trophy is glitched to hell. Can't believe I spent hours doing 33 missions trying to get that. I've basically played through the story twice already. I'm burnt out and I haven't even touched multiplayer. I don't feel like touching it either.
This is a good example of trophy/achievement whoring ruining a game. :lol

Rebel Leader said:
But... why do I have to buy 2 itmes? When I try just to buy 1 It says I "don't have not reached the minimum order value"

Does it? That's stupid. I had two items but that's because I collect playing cards.

Edit: Ugh, that store only has $7 shipping? Why do companies do this?

Edit 2: It even says that when you do a combo pack that you have not reached the minimum. So if you want to save money you can't because you have to order more stuff anyhow. :lol Site is kind of pissing me off. What a buzz kill.

kaizoku

the manual mentions hunting ranges in free roam mode where you take on wave after wave of animals and get XP for it - does anyone know how to play this mode?

Me and a friend went bear hunting up in tall trees but we just shot a few, got mauled a few times and it was all a bit anti climactic really, and we got nothing for it, felt a bit empty killing a huge bear and not getting any xp whatsoever.

what am I missing with MP? it seems there is almost nothing to do. you can run around free roam killing random npcs, or do a gang hideout, or join an instanced deathmatch where you don't even get to keep your custom appearance/items.

could this be the worst multiplayer mode of any game ever, or am I missing something?

Just beat it, including the secret ending.

Great game, although I did feel as if things were starting to feel somewhat rushed story wise after Mexico. Absolutely loved the physics and dead eye, but it did make the gunplay just far too easy. The graphics were pretty good, and there were some areas in the game that just looked absolutely fantastic.

Not sure how I feel about the game compared to GTA IV. In some ways I absolutely prefer it, and in other ways I had more fun with IV.

At any rate, seeing Rockstar handle different timelines shows me that they are just masters of open world period. I think they really need to knock it out of the park with a big time Science Fiction open world game with cooperative elements thrown in. Could be amazing.

kaizoku

HorribleJames said:
what am I missing with MP? it seems there is almost nothing to do. you can run around free roam killing random npcs, or do a gang hideout, or join an instanced deathmatch where you don't even get to keep your custom appearance/items.

could this be the worst multiplayer mode of any game ever, or am I missing something?

Free roam definitely gets old, especially as we keep doing private free roam cos public doesn't work properly or is full of spawn campers.

the matches are really fun though, I get to keep my custom appearance, summon my horse etc.

does anyone have an explanation for how you sometimes appear as a dot on the radar and sometimes not?

additionally, what almost ruins the free roam is the respawns. someone harrasses you, fair enough, I've got no problem with that, but if you kill him, he spawns 10 feet away, seconds later. you can't get rid of him and it becomes an endless cycle of pointless killing.

Guenther

HorribleJames said:

No, you hit the nail on the head.

HorribleJames said:

I joined a random posse last night and did some gang hide outs, I thought it was a blast. Ive been playing hardcore gang shoot out and think its the best mode for multiplayer. But I do see its weak points, and think about all the awesome modes they could have included. Imagine one team are train engineers and the others a train robbers, having to chase down the train on horse and rob it would be great. So many awesome scenerios you could do for multiplayer in a western game like this, its a shame they put in the normal modes that every game has but with a different to make it sound new. But im sure there will be a sequel.

Haunted

Solid warrior said:
Dutch is dead now
now only
A and J
appear on the map, did i beat the game or what?
Keep playing.
You've just unlocked the 4th tier of missions.

1st tier: Bonnie, Marshall (New Austin)
2nd tier: Dickens, Irish, Seth (Nuevo Paraiso)
3rd tier: Ross, MacDougal (West Elisabeth)
4th tier: Uncle, Jack, Abigail (New Austin)

Top Bottom