• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

UrbanRats said:
I really don't see where the fun was in having 6 stars in GTA4.. you got a shit load of guys shooting at you from every angle(cause they appeared from nowhere)and you were dead in 20 seconds.
Also, in basic GTA4 you hadn't any cool or exotic vehicle to screw around, eh.
At least in BotGT you get the Buzzard and the RIOTtank thing.
Still, ripetitiveness is part of all freeroams AFAIK.

I don't get it either. With GTA's non regenerating health I spent most of the time trying to completely avoid getting any stars. The guns were deadly as hell, and the cover system loved to bug out on you. 6 stars wasn't fun to me unless I was in Free Roam.

_Xenon_

Banned
There better be a DLC or such in the future to keep this game going. The game is sweet but really too short for a sand box game (around 80% completion here and it only took me 2 days). The online part is interesting at first but after finishing all hideouts it's just getting old.

LQX

I cant believe some are saying there is nothing to do in RDR after completing it. There is a ton to do with the side quests(which area actually well done and worth while) and the challenges.

And even if you complete those before ending the game isn't it a little ridiculous we are using something like that as a fault after getting such a meaty game? Most games full content cant even come close to half of the extra needless stuff they throw at us in this game. Shit there is not even a competent XBLA or PSN game with Poker and Black Jack in one. I just wished there was a way to play those over multiplayer.

UrbanRats

_Xenon_ said:
There better be a DLC or such in the future to keep this game going. The game is sweet but really too short for a sand box game (around 80% completion here and it only took me 2 days). The online part is interesting at first but after finishing all hideouts it's just getting old.
co-op missions coming in june(for free) but i wouldn't expect much from those(they sound pretty short, in terms of playing time)more to come later in the summer and in the fall, IIRC.

Nelo Ice said:
i got that achivement the 1st try i could or at least i think so since i got it after u do the mission for irish where u
look for mg by lake don julio
So you should for sure get it before u reach Mexico right?

I used the same horse. It never died.

Some missions require you to get on other horses, though, so I don't know how the heck getting the achievement/trophy works.

Darkman M

LQX said:
I cant believe some are saying there is nothing to do in RDR after completing it. There is a ton to do with the side quests(which area actually well done and worth while) and the challenges.

And even if you complete those before ending the game isn't it a little ridiculous we are using something like that as a fault after getting such a meaty game? Most games full content cant even come close to half of the extra needless stuff they throw at us in this game. Shit there is not even a competent XBLA or PSN game with Poker and Black Jack in one. I just wished there was a way to play those over multiplayer.

I dunno i guess people just like riding around blowing shit up with rocket launchers having infinite amount of police and military shooting at you fun..... i never understood that though.

Gravijah

Darkman M said:
I dunno i guess people just like riding around blowing shit up with rocket launchers having infinite amount of police and military shooting at you fun..... i never understood that though.

I definitely enjoy that, but I also enjoy just wandering around RDR too.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Nelo Ice said:
i got that achivement the 1st try i could or at least i think so since i got it after u do the mission for irish where u
look for mg by lake don julio

Really? Did you avoid
bonnie's mission which makes you lasso and keep the horse? I didn't think there was enough missions at the start to have 20 before that.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Papercuts said:
Really? Did you avoid
bonnie's mission which makes you lasso and keep the horse? I didn't think there was enough missions at the start to have 20 before that.

yeah i used the kentucky saddler u get from that mission up until i got a Hungarian half bred and bought the deed

Just finished it,
Remember My Family included. I actually popped Ross' wife and brother before putting six bullets into his heart. So much for redemption!

Considering I literally just finished it, I need to let it all sink in, although I can at least say New Austin/West Elizabeth/Nuevo Paraiso: my new favorite open world. Yes, compared to Liberty City, San Andreas, it might seem bare, but it's more on a personal level than merely appreciating a technical aesthetic. Although by the end I got to that point where I wanted to see how everything unfolded in such a hurry I campfired my way all over the damned world.

Q: Anybody have the Gold Medal achievement? What mission would you recommend for it?

Also, the Manifest Destiny achievement cracked me up. When I got it, it felt so random. I must have popped 20 bison as John before randomly shooting the lone one as Jack.

Gooster said:
Just finished it,
Remember My Family included. I actually popped Ross' wife and brother before putting six bullets into his heart. So much for redemption!

Considering I literally just finished it, I need to let it all sink in, although I can at least say New Austin/West Elizabeth/Nuevo Paraiso: my new favorite open world. Yes, compared to Liberty City, San Andreas, it might seem bare, but it's more on a personal level than merely appreciating a technical aesthetic. Although by the end I got to that point where I wanted to see how everything unfolded in such a hurry I campfired my way all over the damned world.

Q: Anybody have the Gold Medal achievement? What mission would you recommend for it?

Also, the Manifest Destiny achievement cracked me up. When I got it, it felt so random. I must have popped 20 bison as John before randomly shooting the lone one as Jack.
Gold Medal Achievement is easiest on The Gunslingers Tragedy mission. Only 6 enemies and easily done under 3 minutes 30 seconds.

SamuraiX-

Quick question about a mission in Mexico.

Is it possible to keep Muller alive during the "draw" battle with Ricketts or was it necessary to kill him?

TTG

UrbanRats said:
I really don't see where the fun was in having 6 stars in GTA4.. you got a shit load of guys shooting at you from every angle(cause they appeared from nowhere)and you were dead in 20 seconds.
Also, in basic GTA4 you hadn't any cool or exotic vehicle to screw around, eh.
At least in BotGT you get the Buzzard and the RIOTtank thing.
Still, ripetitiveness is part of all freeroams AFAIK.

I'm thinking a lot of RDR will be carried over to the next GTA, including some of the crime/police response stuff. There has to be a most wanted list, or SOMETHING permanent to show how notorious you've been in a GTA game, they can't let it reset so quickly. The thing about the GTA star system is that you played the chase from the minimap basically. There wasn't much of a chase either, more like breaking the line of sight and finding a nice hiding spot for 30 seconds. With 5 or 6 stars that almost had to be the subway, seeing as how you can't even fucking fly away from the radar zone at that point.

I think making the bounty/wanted level permanent(to some degree, obviously not the way GTA is set up now) until you clear your name will be introduced. Also, killing off the opposition to give you a bigger window to escape has to be an option as well. Both of these mechanics add some depth to the basic system they've been using for a loong time now.

I've been finishing up the game over the last couple days (finished the main story yesterday, and the "extras" today). Damn, what a great ending. This game has me more emotionally attached to its characters than any other in recent memory.

It's effing tragic that Abigail lived only a few years longer than John.

I really enjoyed reading the new issue of the newspaper as Jack -- lots of cool follow-ups to some of the character storylines (they're mostly depressing, though).

Now to finish up my hunter challenges. Finally knifed my first cougar today -- the bastard ninja-killed my horse while I was on my way to capture a bounty, then ran off and five minutes later came back and offed my next horse, but I was able to put a few shots in him before he got away, so I snuck up on him as he was limping off and swiped him in the back. :D

SamuraiX- said:
I think you have to kill him. I read in a FAQ that a few of the story-based duels won't let you disarm your opponent, and I think that was one of them.

Edgeward

SamuraiX- said:

Is it possible to keep Muller alive during the "draw" battle with Ricketts or was it necessary to kill him?

It's necessary, the game won't allow anything else.

The soundtrack is amazing, I love how this game knows when to play the right music at the right time. when your in a intense shoot out, the game starts building up the song that fits perfectly in that situation. Even in multiplayer where its not scripted . Its almost like there someone composing the soundtrack as I play,

Just started getting into the multiplayer and wow theres a ton of shit to do, and the posse stuff is a lot of fun. Gang hide outs feel like co-op missions, but just riding around with your posse and going to towns causing a bunch of touble is a lot of fun.

Probaly my favorite game of this gen

I've been pretty obsessed with the game for the past week or so and I finally finished it. I don't think I will be going back to it. I've never gone 100% in sandbox games and I'm not about to start now. That Bureau uniform doesn't seem like its worth it.

SamuraiX-

Question about the stranger mission Lights, Camera, Action...

So there are only two parts to this mission, correct? The Liar's Dice challenge in Thieves Landing for the deed and then dueling the failure actor and disarming him. That's it, right? I did both and returned to the guy in Armadillo, and I'm pretty sure it told me the mission was complete... yet it still shows up in my "in progress" stranger missions window. Anyone else have this problem?

Edit: Just read the info tab... it says I can check up on the guy once I head up North... I assume this is the final act after Mexico?

TTG

SamuraiX- said:
Question about the stranger mission Lights, Camera, Action...

So there are only two parts to this mission, correct? The Liar's Dice challenge in Thieves Landing for the deed and then dueling the failure actor and disarming him. That's it, right? I did both and returned to the guy in Armadillo, and I'm pretty sure it told me the mission was complete... yet it still shows up in my "in progress" stranger missions window. Anyone else have this problem?

Edit: Just read the info tab... it says I can check up on the guy once I head up North... I assume this is the final act after Mexico?

yep, he'll be the first guy you run into basically, since he's closest to thieve's landing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Starting this game now.

I went in with zero hype.

Let's see how this goes.

TTG

WEGGLES said:
99% Done.

Gunna get that last 1% tomorrow

P sure what I need to do is a few mexican bounties.

Even though you can't REALLY track which areas you've completed, I found that when the bounty locations start to repeat, you're done. It won't repeat the areas until you've cleared them all at least once.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
I've encountered a progress stopping bug. I started to attempt the Assault on Fort Mercer mission and, after getting into the back of the wagon, the horses start to walk in place and the wagon never moves towards the fort. I tried a couple of reloads hoping that would fix things, but it has not. I hope to God there is some way to remedy this situation without having to restart the damned game. Xbox 360 version, BTW. Any ideas or suggestions?

Jtrizzy

are there any other missions you can try, and come back to this one? If so, do that, save and reload. If not, try some side missions, save, reload and try again. Also try saving in a different location, reload, then try the mission again. It's always good to have multiple saves in a game like this...sucks there are only 3 spots. Try changing outfits before doing the mission...you never know what triggers a bug.

As far as the game goes, I'm taking a little break right now. I always get burned out on open world games, and end up not finishing them. I loved Infamous, but never finished it. I see myself going for a nice % on this one however.

Dead Man

Jtrizzy said:
are there any other missions you can try, and come back to this one? If so, do that, save and reload. If not, try some side missions, save, reload and try again. Also try saving in a different location, reload, then try the mission again. It's always good to have multiple saves in a game like this...sucks there are only 3 spots. Try changing outfits before doing the mission...you never know what triggers a bug.

As far as the game goes, I'm taking a little break right now. I always get burned out on open world games, and end up not finishing them. I loved Infamous, but never finished it. I see myself going for a nice % on this one however.
Yeah, totally dropped ball there. There is no reason to only allow 3 save slots. I have hit a few bugs that needed me to go back a mission or 2, but with only three save slots that means I can only go back 2 missions, or I may not be able to save for ages if I try to space out the saves.

Crappy, crappy stuff in a game that is so great in so many ways.

UrbanRats

TTG said:
Even though you can't REALLY track which areas you've completed, I found that when the bounty locations start to repeat, you're done. It won't repeat the areas until you've cleared them all at least once.
Are Bounty Hunter Missions unlimited? :eek:

neorej

ERMYGERD!
This game is awful.

I was at a party this saturday, they started playing Cotton Eye Joe and all I wanted to do was go home and boot up RDR

Karud

TTG said:

I think you are able to check your status via the wanted posters.
If a region is cleared, and they start to repeat bandits randomly, the poster will display
a question mark on the outline. If not cleared, there will be a “photo“ of the villain.

But I'm not sure about that, can anyone confirm this?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
OK so I'm nearly finished with this game, still a few more missions to do but I've finished "I Know You".

Anyone care to explain it or have their unique take on it?

Did John shoot to miss the guy or is he a ghost or his conscience

It's been two weeks now with Redemption and I just got to the prairies up north, after 30 hours. Fucking beautiful. Probably some of the best visuals I've laid eyes on. I haven't ridden a horse in days, just exploring everywhere on foot and checking out the ridiculous amount of detail in towns, the plains, etc. The game world is a goddamned colossus when you realize how long the journey lasts without a horse.

Bunch of RDR themed things and junk for sale:

rockstarwarehouse_2108_16183481

http://rockstarwarehouse.stores.yahoo.net/rdrliedfrco.html

n-off

hey guys!
how the fuck can you win duels?
at first it was no problem at all... but after the first 2,3 duels I can't win anymore...
fucking sucks... how do you do it right?

navanman said:
OK so I'm nearly finished with this game, still a few more missions to do but I've finished "I Know You".

Anyone care to explain it or have their unique take on it?

Did John shoot to miss the guy or is he a ghost or his conscience

Finish the game before you read anything else about it.

Once you've finished the game read this:
he's the devil

BeeDog

Can someone please tell me the trick to Arm Wrestling? Even if I'm only betting a dollar, I can't win the fucker at the railroad camp. :/

TTG

Karud said:
I think you are able to check your status via the wanted posters.
If a region is cleared, and they start to repeat bandits randomly, the poster will display
a question mark on the outline. If not cleared, there will be a “photo“ of the villain.

But I'm not sure about that, can anyone confirm this?

Each location will run out of named bounties that have a photo. But, because there are multiple towns in each of the 3 areas where you can pick up a bounty(each town has its own list of names/photos) if you keep taking bounties from the same post office they will run out of names but keep sending you to new locations until you've cleared them all. So you're drawing from 2 different pools: the total amount of unique locations in each of the 3 areas and each town's separate list of named/photo'd bounties. To get your completion percentage up, you only need to worry about the unique locations to which you're sent, so you can keep taking unnamed bounties as long as you're going to a new place.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
n-off said:
hey guys!
how the fuck can you win duels?
at first it was no problem at all... but after the first 2,3 duels I can't win anymore...
fucking sucks... how do you do it right?

There's a system that's never properly exlpained in the game:
as soon as you pull the left trigger, you go into aim-mode, with your stick you align your targeting reticle, and you select targets by pressing right trigger. I assume you pretty much figured this out by now.

The actual firing is done as soon as you have selected 6 targets or your gauge is full (bottomright on the screen). The reticle goes from orange to white, the closer you mark your target to a white reticle, the higher your gaugefill. The one with the fullest gauge, or the one to first fill the gauge completely, wins.

To my experience, the Orange-to-White-transition of the reticle is also faster if you press left trigger early on, but I'm not sure if there's any truth in this or just my mind playing games.

Also, I managed to settle one duel without anyone dying, by accidentally targeting the gun of my opponent six times (targeted it as my first target, when my cat decided it was time for to give her some attention). Don't know if this was a fluke, bug or by design.

neorej said:
Also, I managed to settle one duel without anyone dying, by accidentally targeting the gun of my opponent six times (targeted it as my first target, when my cat decided it was time for to give her some attention). Don't know if this was a fluke, bug or by design.
You can win a duel in one shot by shooting their gun.

sladeums

WEGGLES said:
99% Done.

Gunna get that last 1% tomorrow

P sure what I need to do is a few mexican bounties.

you can see bounty locations completed under
Stats->Score
near the bottom of the list to see what you may be missing

you need 8 each in New Austin and Nuevo Paraiso and 4 in West Elizabeth

Top Bottom