• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Aesius

I just had an EPIC battle with a bear in an attempt to get the Master Hunter Rank 8 title.

I actually had the motherfucker running from me :lol It was hilarious - I had my knife out and was chasing a giant ass grizzly bear.

He took at least 8 swipes of my knife to finally go down - and that was after I blasted him in the fucking head with my 1911.

Chasing him down was a bitch. He kept juking me, and eventually ran me straight into two more bears, at which point he turned around and started chasing me again. I pretty much ran the entire length of Tall Trees, pausing every few minutes to turn around and blast one of the bears right between the eyes (at one point I had four chasing me).

I really don't ever want to do that again :lol

Haunted

dreamer3kx said:
Well Ross fucking hated him and his gang for killing many people, I guess Ross thought about it for long and couldn't stomach one of the members still alive, thats how Im looking at it.
No, I think Ross is a much colder and calculating character and he intended to dispose of John (and his family, if necessary) when a suitable opportunity arose. As Dutch said - always on the "lookout" for another monster to justify their wages.

Also: The newspaper
you can buy with Jack is a nice touch, even if it feels a bit forced (nearly every single article references earlier characters).

Costanza said:
Man, that's fucking dumb to make the ending the equivalent of an easter egg. People who haven't done much side stuff are not gonna bother noticing this.
Well...

1) the ending you experienced already works quite well on its own, imo.
2) it's not over til it's over (and the credits roll) :p

LQX

Costanza said:
Man, that's fucking dumb to make the ending the equivalent of an easter egg. People who haven't done much side stuff are not gonna bother noticing this.
They make it kind of obvious though.

Costanza

Banned
Okay, played the "real" ending. Awesome.

Though,
I was hoping R* was planning to make that it's own game/DLC episode where you play as Jack called Red Dead Revenge
. Oh well.

But yeah, GOTY. Dunno what else could topple it.

What's up with duels? I used to be able to disarm my opponents with ease but now Morston doesn't even bother to shoot. The Dead Eye activates, I mark my targets and try to shoot but he doesn't. Am I doing something wrong here?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Aesius said:
I just had an EPIC battle with a bear in an attempt to get the Master Hunter Rank 8 title.

I actually had the motherfucker running from me :lol It was hilarious - I had my knife out and was chasing a giant ass grizzly bear.

He took at least 8 swipes of my knife to finally go down - and that was after I blasted him in the fucking head with my 1911.

Chasing him down was a bitch. He kept juking me, and eventually ran me straight into two more bears, at which point he turned around and started chasing me again. I pretty much ran the entire length of Tall Trees, pausing every few minutes to turn around and blast one of the bears right between the eyes (at one point I had four chasing me).

I really don't ever want to do that again :lol

:lol The bears are so much fun in this game. Sometimes they are crazy aggressive. I once had a pile of dead grizzles scattered in the open area of Tall Trees. I think there were 13 dead grizzlies laying around and they just kept coming. I didn't have time to skin a single one. I was working on getting the 18 needed for the achievement. I was quite ticked when I finally lost out to a pair that rushed on me together. But I was laughing too because it was so chaotic.

Good times.

Haunted

LSauchelli said:
What's up with duels? I used to be able to disarm my opponents with ease but now Morston doesn't even bother to shoot. The Dead Eye activates, I mark my targets and try to shoot but he doesn't. Am I doing something wrong here?
Mark with the right timing, meaning when the reticule turns small and white. This fills up the bar on the right, which decides who actually gets to shoot first.

With the number of times this question's been asked in the thread, I think it's time to put an explanation of the duel mechanics into the OP, Goldrusher. >_<

DoctorWho said:
Is there a way of explaining, without any spoilers, how to get the real ending?
Finish the last story mission, then finish the last/newest stranger mission, which starts somewhere in Blackwater.

LQX

LSauchelli said:
Yeah it gets harder after you learn to mark targets. The key is to get 3 marks on the chest area then 3 quickly on the head and you will pretty much win every duel.

Greg

recklessmind said:
This thread is a million pages long...

Would anyone be willing to give me the Cliff's notes on the PS3 MP experience?

i.e. lag, framerate, balance, fun factor, etc.

I would really appreciate it.
I put about 10 hours into it already, and unless you have friends to play with I don't see it having legs at all. Lag is pretty much non-existent, and the framerate is only slightly worse at times than it is in SP... otherwise it's pretty much identical to SP graphically except for less town folk.

The MP is absolutely amazing if you didn't touch SP, but a lot of what you do in MP is directly copied and/or slightly expanded from SP... no new content save for a few reskins is experienced. The fastest way to level ends up being to grind the same camp of enemies over and over, so there's not even an incentive to tackle the challenges.

The competitive modes such as capture the bag/shootout are pretty much standard and get old pretty quick, and it doesn't help that the on-foot controls aren't the tightest for competitive play (think Warhawk). It's definitely balanced because everyone starts with equal equipment, but coupled with sloppy controls it's not exactly the most fun.

Coming from 35 or so hours with SP to reach 100%, I find myself burnt out on leveling by doing things I've already done in SP, and reacquiring things I've already acquired and experienced in SP.

Haunted said:
Mark with the right timing, meaning when the reticule turns small and white. This fills up the bar on the right, which decides who actually gets to shoot first.

With the number of times this question's been asked in the thread, I think it's time to put an explanation of the duel mechanics into the OP, Goldrusher. >_<

Finish the last story mission, then finish the last/newest stranger mission, which is triggered somewhere in Blackwater.
the game does a really piss poor job of it

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Greg said:
*snip* Coming from 35 or so hours with SP to reach 100%, I find myself burnt out on leveling by doing things I've already done in SP, and reacquiring things I've already acquired and experienced in SP.

Thanks Greg.

SamuraiX-

RojoVivo said:
Need Help.

Ok so i'm trying to get the waltons gang outfit and in Scrap 3 Its says i need to eliminate all other players in a game of poker and i already went there and shoot three of them but i didnt unlock it anyone know what i need to do?

Holy shit. :lol :lol :lol

People are playing too many shooters nowadays.

sumo390

I just have to say that Rockstar did a great job
having the voice actor for Jack Marston do all those lines for all the things John did like Stranger missions and general hunting/riding stuff. Must have taken quite a while to do.
Well done Rockstar. :D

TTG

Costanza said:

It's an epilogue, not required, and it's not all THAT hard to find. Ride into Blackwater to pick up the outfit that unlocks and it's there. Actually, considering all the stranger cutscenes are redone with Jack's voice over and all the environmental voice work that went into putting another playable character in the game, it wasn't exactly thrown in there at the last minute. Rockstar assume you'll spend another hour, at least, tying up some loose ends.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Still loving this game, but like all of Rockstar's open world games, it wears out its welcome. It's just a little longer than what the game mechanics can support, leading to a feeling of repeating itself, mission after mission.

I'm in Mexico, having already
been betrayed by the army, and now doing missions for Reyes and the rebels.
I feel like the game should be winding itself down at this point, but based on what I've read there's still many many hours left.

Am I the only one who wishes he could ignore Luisa and her self-righteous bullshit? What part of "I'm sorry, I have my own family to worry about." doesn't this woman understand?

Aesius

Time for me to turn in my man card: I have to wait until my girlfriend gets off work to 100% this game, because I don't know how to play poker :lol

I had a near 20 minute round earlier, playing completely randomly. Was up to 3,000 chips and thought I could win, so I went all in. Lost everything. Forgot that I could have cashed out at 2,000 chips and got an achievement. Oh well.

Clocked the credits at: 2 days, 6 hours, 46 minutes - 86.5% complete.

Great game, now to try out some multi-player and kill some boars without stealth cougars killing my horse. Stupid cougars.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Darkflight said:
Clocked the credits at: 2 days, 6 hours, 46 minutes - 86.5% complete.

Great game, now to try out some multi-player and kill some boars without stealth cougars killing my horse. Stupid cougars.

cougar4.jpg

Karram

I have been playing this game so much lately and I'm loving it much more than GTA IV. I think it uses its open world in a very good way and I usually find my self shooting or catching animals or helping random people. Which is always satisfying. So far(21%) I have no complaints at all.

Dabanton

LSauchelli said:
Am I the only one who wishes he could ignore Luisa and her self-righteous bullshit? What part of "I'm sorry, I have my own family to worry about." doesn't this woman understand?

Luisa was sweet John knew she was naive but helped her anyway, Reyes on the other hand...
I don't think i've seen such an magnificently odious character for quite a while.

Just beat it

Ending thoughts:
The game did a good job of making me hate Edgar Ross and I am glad they left his reasons for doing so kind of ambiguous. Did anyone else notice the guy from "I Know You" standing in the crowd when John died? Reinforces my theory that he is a specter of John's death.

Overall, the game was great and I was totally floored. It was flawed, though, and the longer you play it, the more the game starts to come apart at the seams. It had its low moments, but overall great and much better than GTA4.

Dunno if I'd call it GOTY, but am glad I made the purchase.

Dabanton said:
Luisa was sweet John knew she was naive but helped her anyway, Reyes on the other hand...
I don't think i've seen such an magnificently odious character for quite a while.

You spoilered the fuck out of that,

Some of the characters were horrible and I'm finding a hard time getting to 100%. So redundant.

So like, what is the etiquette in free roam mode? I'm new to it, and got put into a free roam session with a couple other folks. I went to the closest dot to find someone shooting at banditos. I did the neighborly thing and helped him wipe them out. Then I went to a mine and started killing treasure hunters. He came by and returned the favor. Afterward we were in the middle of nowhere so I did the only logical thing. I blew his head off.

He was really upset about this apparently. I was aiming for some jovial rivalry, maybe some good ol' one-on-one, but was fully prepared for him to be pissed off. Instead though he seemed shocked. Like I'd just murdered his family. Not angry, but shaken to his core that he was betrayed by fellow greenhorn.

How great was my crime? I'll be the first to admit I don't yet understand the mechanics of free roam. Do you lose anything by being killed? Seems to me you just respawn somewhere nearby, no worse off. Maybe I should have plugged in my mic and said something first? Still, it seems like an unnecessary step when given guns and set down in the middle of nowhere. And I'd be lying if I said I didn't find his level of incredulity hilarious as we got a few minutes of killing each other off.

UrbanRats

Credits rolling. Incredible, my GotG 'til now(sounds like an ovestatement, but it is, for me at least).

One thing (ending spoilers):
Did we ever know what happen to Bonnie and the MacFarlanes? We see her kinda sad, when Marston and his wife leaves the ranch(after the corn mission)and in the newspaper, with Jack, i didn't found anithin' about her.

Anyway, really superb game and, i think, one of the best ending EVER in a videogame.
Also i really loved the Dutch character.

I think I would of found the ending much less terrible if Ross had shot John's family as attempting to escape. As it was it seemed fucking stupid how they got away as either nobody was at the back of the barn (in which case John could or rode with them) or Ross uncharacteristically let them go (given Abigail rolled with the gang he was looking to bring for justice, eliminates either of them coming back to kill him, and would prevent them leaking what he did to the public).

On top of that it gives an actual meaning to John throwing his life away rather than making a situation that was possible to over come (as we just took out twice as many men, and have taken out thousands in the course of the game with one piece of cover, say a barn door...) suddenly impossible. John would end his life and take out as many with him as he could as he just lost his world, rather than John throwing his life away when he still had the chance to get back to everything that he held dear despite the story revolved around what he was willing to do to get them back.

j-wood

So, now that this has been out for a little while, is it still worth the hype? I'm thinking about trading assassin's creed II (beat it) and just cause 2 (finished story, 30% complete) for it tomorrow.

Worth it?

Haunted

ShockingAlberto said:
Overall, the game was great and I was totally floored. It was flawed, though, and the longer you play it, the more the game starts to come apart at the seams. It had its low moments, but overall great and much better than GTA4.

Dunno if I'd call it GOTY, but am glad I made the purchase.
That sounds quite comparable to my impression. Need a bit of time to let everything sink in, but there's little doubt it'll snatch a spot on my GOTY 2010 list.

Also a great representative of the open world genre, because only playing through the story missions (which, admittedly, included most of the game's weakest moments) would be missing the point. The world they've created here is fantastic. Also helps that the game ends on a particularly high note. Cannot understate the importance of a good ending, leaving the player with a strong feeling.

j-wood said:
So, now that this has been out for a little while, is it still worth the hype? I'm thinking about trading assassin's creed II (beat it) and just cause 2 (finished story, 30% complete) for it tomorrow.

Worth it?
Worth it.

Darkman M

j-wood said:

Worth it?

The game is worth it, weather you should trade other games in to get it is up to you. Red Dead is rockstars best game yet imo.

I don't know if anyone else saw it, but the half hour special aired on Fox last night, and it was terrible. Just a half hour of random cutscenes with no context.

Had an "oh shit" moment today.

Was riding the trail when I passed two gentleman on horses. I bid them good'day. All of a sudden, I heard a woman's voice cry out,

"Help me. Someone stole my wagon."

Now I was a man on a treasure hunt, and could not be bothered. However, her cry of help did not entirely go past me, and I pulled the reigns on my horse.

As I turned to face her, a cougar shot out of nowhere and mauled her to death. The two men riding beside me proceeded to shoot at the cougar as I did as well. Unfortunately there was nothing that could be done for the lady, so I skinned the cougar and looted her body for 4 dollars.

I tipped my hat and mounted my horse. I then rode into the sunset, a bar of gold waiting.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've really been liking the story missions in West Elizabeth.
Climbing a mountain with Nastas reminded me of UC2 in a way. I liked the bear and cougar encounter up there, as well as the scenery. I also actually felt bad when Nastas got blasted in the face, honestly didn't really mind when Luisa was downed in comparison.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Crazy thing happened that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread.

Riding around Mexico when I see a camp. Figure I'll go visit the dudes there. Turns out it's two mexican guys handling TNT. One guy says, " Go get that barrel, be careful. " (in spanish, of course) I get off my horse to go look at the camp, just gonna watch them for a second. The guy carries the barrel, and he stumbles and drops it - setting off a reaction which blows up all the TNT in the camp and kills me.

Fuck. :lol

K2Valor said:

Riding around Mexico when I see a camp. Figure I'll go visit the dudes there. Turns out it's two mexican guys handling TNT. One guy says, " Go get that barrel, be careful. " (in spanish, of course) I get off my horse to go look at the camp, just gonna watch them for a second. The guy carries the barrel, and he stumbles and drops it - setting off a reaction which blows up all the TNT in the camp and kills me.

Seriously, the little things make this game fucking amazing.

Papercuts said:
I've really been liking the story missions in West Elizabeth.
Climbing a mountain with Nastas reminded me of UC2 in a way. I liked the bear and cougar encounter up there, as well as the scenery. I also actually felt bad when Nastas got blasted in the face, honestly didn't really mind when Luisa was downed in comparison.

That was one of the parts of the game I thought was really neat, if you're close to the edge of the cliff during the cougar fight you can see Nastas shooting at it from where he's standing. Also I didn't even realize that was Luisa until the game told me, I just assumed it was a random villager at first.

Aesius

K2Valor said:

Every time I see those guys I always blast the TNT. They go flying :lol

Top Bottom