• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Magnus

Man, I'm falling asleep. Between the occasional long load and this interminably slow introduction, I'm ready to play something else. :lol

No framerate problems to speak of yet, but about 20 minutes in and I haven't really played yet, it's all story. Quite gorgeous to look at though, and horseback riding controls pretty nicely.

Graphic whores are going to cry foul over all the jaggies in this game though. They rear their head every now and then and they're ugly to look at at.

DMPrince said:
is it an actual install or just trophy and save stuff?

Said "Installing" on a black XMB-like screen as soon as I launched the game from the XMB, and took about 60 seconds or so.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
reKon said:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gameplay-series-red-dead/64784

could someone make me a gif of 1:46-1:47?

I will pay you with my love
I hope that's the right scene:
IuTLB.gif

Magnus

Red Blaster said:
Is there an option to change it to L1/R1?

I'm looking and can't find one, no. Going to Options -> Controls displays controls for "On Foot" and prompts you to use the left thumbstick to "Change", but doing so just shows you the controls for "On Horseback", "Driving Vehicle" and "Driving Shotgun".

DMPrince said:
does the game look like 545p native res upscaled?

I have absolutely no idea how to tell. :lol

TV/PS3 defaulted to 720p, though with a game like FFXIII, it went to 1080p. I'm no resolution/video guru, so I'm not certain what this means.

RadicalRad said:
I wanted to pre-order off amazon but they wanted to charge me 6 dollars just to get it on release day; not worth it. I'd rather have it in my hands on Tuesday.

Sign up for a free trail of Amazon Prime and then order the game. Shipping will be free. You'll end up paying an extra $25 bucks if you order it in a brick and mortar store.

Magnus said:
Man, I'm falling asleep. Between the occasional long load and this interminably slow introduction, I'm ready to play something else. :lol

No framerate problems to speak of yet, but about 20 minutes in and I haven't really played yet, it's all story. Quite gorgeous to look at though, and horseback riding controls pretty nicely.

Graphic whores are going to cry foul over all the jaggies in this game though. They rear their head every now and then and they're ugly to look at at.

Said "Installing" on a black XMB-like screen as soon as I launched the game from the XMB, and took about 60 seconds or so.

Probably due to lower resolution for the PS3. COUNT THE PIXELS!

Rikyfree

Magnus said:
I'm looking and can't find one, no. Going to Options -> Controls displays controls for "On Foot" and prompts you to use the left thumbstick to "Change", but doing so just shows you the controls for "On Horseback", "Driving Vehicle" and "Driving Shotgun".
Hype -50 =*(

Magnus said:

Thanks for answering in a timely manner.

The PS3's almost 4 years old, hard to believe there still exist developers who are too dumb to realize that L1/R1 are the primary shoulder buttons on the Dual Shock. 360 copy it is.

lantus

demolitio said:
Please be customizable, please be customizable...

I don't think it will be, doesn't it use something similar to GTA IV's squeeze trigger half way for free aim, then all the way for snap to target or something like that?

Teknoman

Wont the controls still be mapped to triggers on the 360?

EDIT: Well I know you can completely turn off auto-aim, so shouldnt really be too much of an issue.

Rikyfree

Red Blaster said:

The PS3's almost 4 years old, hard to believe there still exist developers who are too dumb to realize that L1/R1 are the primary shoulder buttons on the Dual Shock. 360 copy it is.
I'll still get the ps3 version, but I will still hope for a patch that allows us to switch. No damn excuse.

GreekWolf said:
We called him out on this in the other thread, and he never responded.

Got my hot, buttery popcorn and fizzy drinks ready... let's go!

Lets get this straight, it didn't need any response. You can look at my post history, its there, I am not hiding it. I was saying it very tongue in cheek anyways, so sue me for it.

Like I said in the other thread, if there are no "significant issues" as his source said, I will call him on it. Everyone of you should. When you don't name your "trusted source" you are opening yourself up to a can of worms. When you are the leader of a community as large as CAG, you don't need to stir the console war pot, and he seems to do this in his podcast. Maybe it gives him hits, I don't know. Call him biased, call him and xbot, call him whatever, but at any rate it is wrong.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Is the movement while running around smoother than when playing GTA4?

I was just playing The Ballad of Gay Tony on the 360 and the controls were kind of getting to me while on foot (it is true that I havent played it in ages, so that might be it).

EDIT: Magnus, haha I was just checking your profile to see where you live (I want my copy now!), and saw that we have the same birthday.

Teknoman said:
Wont the controls still be mapped to triggers on the 360?

EDIT: Well I know you can completely turn off auto-aim, so shouldnt really be too much of an issue.

It wouldn't be much of an issue if the feedback was instant with just a tap of L2/R2 but assuming it's similar to GTA4's (terrible) shooting controls, you'll have to press them all the way in.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Magnus said:

Magnus said:
edit- alright, default is L2 to aim, R2 to fire.

Thanks. Will buy when cheap.

MercuryLS

Banned
Red Blaster said:

Yup, that's a deal breaker for me. My hands cramp up something awful when I have to use R2/L2 for aiming and shooting. GTAIV was a nightmare, the shoulder add-ons help but it's still a pain.

Lolligag

xxracerxx said:
Is the movement while running around smoother than when playing GTA4?

I was just playing The Ballad of Gay Tony on the 360 and the controls were kind of getting to me while on foot (it is true that I havent played it in ages, so that might be it).
I'd also like to know this. It's terrible on the PS3 too.

In some of the RDR videos it looks like he clips his animations for walking, so I'm hoping they fixed it.

Red Blaster said:

gioteck-real-triggers.jpg

You need these

mujun

cjtiger300 said:
Sorry, but Cheapy comes off as very biased IMHO.

Fair enough, you might be right.

Thing is Death Dealer was trying to make that decision for us. Not the type of reporter I like, makes me feel like he should work for Fox News or something.

Was GTAIV L2/R2? Not that big a deal for me. Still would prefer L1/R1 but I'll manage. I don't play long enough at a time for my hands to cramp.

Long load times is really shitty to hear. Why didn't they make the install bigger to reduce those? 600mb isn't much of an install for what we're used to in open world games.

mujun said:
Fair enough, you might be right.

Thing is Death Dealer was trying to make that decision for us. Not the type of reporter I like, makes me feel like he should work for Fox News or something.

I get that, you should have seen what people were saying about my in the other thread. You would have thought CheapyD was there first born, lol!

criesofthepast said:
Was GTAIV L2/R2? Not that big a deal for me. Still would prefer L1/R1 but I'll manage. I don't play long enough at a time for my hands to cramp.

Long load times is really shitty to hear. Why didn't they make the install bigger to reduce those? 600mb isn't much of an install for what we're used to in open world games.

Yeah, GTAIV was L2/R2, but with cover mapped to R1, it feels aight. Not sure cover being mapped to R2 would feel as good. With the Real Triggers, it's a non issue with me except when I go back to Uncharted 2 MP I throw grenades by accident for a few matches, lol!

Mayyhem

Hmm I hate jaggies. Oh well

That R2/L2 thing sucks for all you PS3 guys, they need to have customizable controls, I mean at least let the people customize the trigger buttons. Weird.

Top Bottom