• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Cant0na

Banned
L2/R2, gamespy :(

i gotta change my preorder to the 360 version now. why wont these developers put shooting on L1/R1 like most sony first party games

MercuryLS

Banned
cjtiger300 said:
gioteck-real-triggers.jpg

You need these

They help but my hands still cramp up using the R2/L2 for extended periods of time.

Jtrizzy

Pretty disappointing with regard to the lack of controller customization. I have the Real Triggers, and while they are nice, mine fall off when I press too hard which is something I'll be doing in this game.

I am hyped for this game, but there was a lot about the core gameplay mechanics that I didn't like in GTAIV. I also want to see how the MP shakes out before buying this on PS3. I never liked it in IV, not to mention gamespy sucks.

Fortunately I'll be cracking out on it at midnight on monday at a friends house.

mujun

cjtiger300 said:
Lets get this straight, it didn't need any response. You can look at my post history, its there, I am not hiding it. I was saying it very tongue in cheek anyways, so sue me for it.

Like I said in the other thread, if there are no "significant issues" as his source said, I will call him on it. Everyone of you should. When you don't name your "trusted source" you are opening yourself up to a can of worms. When you are the leader of a community as large as CAG, you don't need to stir the console war pot, and he seems to do this in his podcast. Maybe it gives him hits, I don't know. Call him biased, call him and xbot, call him whatever, but at any rate it is wrong.

Call him on it when the person who was mistaken was his source? Sounds like shooting the messenger.

You are reading in to his words that he's stirring the console war pot, unless he comes out and admits it (or says something blatant) how can you prove one way or another that he is stirring the pot as opposed to offhandedly remarking about something because the subject was raised. I don't know which he was doing but context wise it seemed natural to me that he would bring something he'd heard to the table given that they were discussing the game and it's different versions.

Why is it wrong? The podcast is a very casual affair for one, they spend a decent chunk of each ep talking about his bowel movements, not exactly the sort of podcast that is concerned with maintaining strict impartiality in the name of professional journalism. Secondly why would it matter even if he were biased (which I'm sure he'd admit to anyway, he's a pretty straight forward guy seemingly), he runs a website to help people find bargains on gaming stuff. He's not working for Gamespot or something.

Cday

Banned
Eh, there's nothing wrong the the DualShock 3s triggers. Unless you're playing the God of War Collection and have to constantly mash R2 to open doors. Those triggers were just not made for that shit.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Cant0na said:

i gotta change my preorder to the 360 version now. why wont these developers put shooting on L1/R1 like most sony first party games

Because they are idiots. I can understand doing this for racing games, but for shooting controls? Absolutely stupid.

/rage

Magnus

It was just a couple long loads -- the initial startup, and one after an introductory story event. None since really, so sorry if I made it sound like a big issue. It's really quite fine now between missions and such, no load at all most of the time.

Dying -> respawn load time is like, 5 seconds.

And re: the controls, having to use L2/R2 hasn't really bothered me at all yet.

L1's to pull up a dial to change weapons, R1's to reign one's horse in while traveling and make them slow down/stop.

You needn't push very hard on L2 or R2 to get the desired effect. You can just tap R2 for shots, feels fine I guess. You can't fire without holding L2 though.

Framerate's been fine. Took a bit of a dive during a couple of hectic moments, but I had to focus on it (to the detriment of the mission gameplay :lol ) to really notice it.

I'm a little bored though. GTA hasn't done it for me in a long time, and this feels like slapping a western skin on it (aside from horseback, which is how most of it's been played so far, actually)...and man, do I have no love for westerns at all. :lol

Someone educate me - what's this gamespy everyone's talking about?

Jtrizzy

So what takes cover? Why can't we just customize them ourselves? Why am I still asking this question in 2010? Does Rockstar feel that it's some sort of design decision to map shoot to R2? Gahhh...All of my friends are on PS3, but it looks like 360 it will be :(

For me, it can work when you have a situations like Army of Two, The Darkness, or Borderleands in that, all you have to do it slightly touch R2 and it registers as fire (IE: no analog range at all, just digital input). With this, you fingers aren't awkardly wrapping around the button to get it to recognize and for the most part, things can be comfortable.
Were devs go wrong is like in GTAIV were they have you having to press in R2 ALL THE WAY IN to get it to register a shot. This quickly becomes uncomfortable and fatiguing for me.

Magnus

LovingSteam said:

Isn't that Red Dead Revolver? :lol

DMPrince said:
does the game look like GTAIV? i mean is it blurry/soft/beautiful?
Cant0na said:
hows the movement controls? same as gta4?

It plays and feels exactly like GTA: The Western down to the character models, mission structure, save method, etc, outside of the horseback riding, which is something new entirely, and kind of cool. Matching one's companion's riding speed by just holding down X is a nice touch. Aiming while on horseback feels fine, sort of.

Everything looks a good deal prettier than GTA IV though, which I thought was downright ugly at times. Riding at top speed over the hills with a companion into the sunset looked quite awesome.

The character models aren't doing it for me though, not after Uncharted 2 and God of War III.

Magnus said:
It was just a couple long loads -- the initial startup, and one after an introductory story event. None since really, so sorry if I made it sound like a big issue. It's really quite fine now between missions and such, no load at all most of the time.

Dying -> respawn load time is like, 5 seconds.

And re: the controls, having to use L2/R2 hasn't really bothered me at all yet.

L1's to pull up a dial to change weapons, R1's to reign one's horse in while traveling and make them slow down/stop.

You needn't push very hard on L2 or R2 to get the desired effect. You can just tap R2 for shots, feels fine I guess. You can't fire without holding L2 though.

Framerate's been fine. Took a bit of a dive during a couple of hectic moments, but I had to focus on it (to the detriment of the mission gameplay :lol ) to really notice it.

I'm a little bored though. GTA hasn't done it for me in a long time, and this feels like slapping a western skin on it (aside from horseback, which is how most of it's been played so far, actually)...and man, do I have no love for westerns at all. :lol

Someone educate me - what's this gamespy everyone's talking about?

You're not really having fun with it?

How's the gunplay/physics? Story and presentation?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Jtrizzy said:
So what takes cover? Why can't we just customize them ourselves? Why am I still asking this question in 2010? Does Rockstar feel that it's some sort of design decision to map shoot to R2? Gahhh...All of my friends are on PS3, but it looks like 360 it will be :(
Yeah but you cant customize the 360 pad either sadly. I never had issues with the triggers for shooting on the DS3.

Though I am getting this game on the 360.

EDIT: How is the movement on foot and on horse?

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Cant0na said:

You know... you don't have to press it all the way down... unless RDR forces you to press the trigger all the way down to shoot.

mujun said:
:lol Melt down incoming.

Lucky I live in Japan, wouldn't want you to live up to your user name and kill me or anything.

Your arguments are poor and you make little sense.
I stated my opinion, the "substantial problems" rumor is FUD, and you didn't like it. And you tried to make the conversation about "me", by raising false contradictions, and bringing up Alan Wake of all things. Just drop it.

Magnus

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
You're not really having fun with it?

How's the gunplay/physics? Story and presentation?

The story's slow to start. Like, mud. I'm actually kind of disappointed in the events of the first hour. Practically nothing's happened and I have no sympathy or love for any of these characters.

Riding feels fine, very Zelda-ish. I need to adjust the stick sensitivity.

Physics are like, 100% GTA IV. Which I'm not a fan of. There always seemed to be like, a half-second's worth of lag for things like jumping or initiating a sprint by mashing X, and that's still here.

And, holy fuck, while I was typing this, the game just crashed and my PS3 shut off. :lol :lol :lol

Man, I was not liking how loud it was getting.

edit- oh man, thank goodness, turned it back on and it seems to be fine. I heard three beeps, and then went over to the PS3 and I saw a flashing Red Light. Tapped the reset button once and it went a solid red, waited 10 seconds and turned the system on, and it's fine.

Fuck, I'm afraid of playing this again now.

Cant0na

Banned
Magnus said:
Physics are like, 100% GTA IV. Which I'm not a fan of. There always seemed to be like, a half-second's worth of lag for things like jumping or initiating a sprint by mashing X, and that's still here.

fuuuuuuu

im going to bed, youre killing my dreams and its getting worse and worse by every post :'(

Magnus

Cant0na said:
fuuuuuuu

im going to bed, youre killing my dreams and its getting worse and worse by every post :'(

Man, were people expecting a brand new engine/physics? I guess I wasn't, so I'm not disappointed. This is really GTA the Western, but prettier.

But seriously, I'm afraid of starting it up again. :lol

feel

No offense Magnus, but really wishing someone else got the privilege of being the first one to have it here, someone who would appreciate this kind of game more. :/

But still thanks, you've been really helpful with the responses to technical questions.

Letters said:
No offense, but really wishing someone else got the privilege of being the first one to have it here, someone who would appreciate this kind of game more. :/

But still thanks, you've been really helpful with the responses to technical questions.

Aka someone who would reaffirm your hype for this game? What if this guy is right and there are problems?

Cant0na

Banned
Magnus said:
Man, were people expecting a brand new engine/physics? I guess I wasn't, so I'm not disappointed. This is really GTA the Western, but prettier.

But seriously, I'm afraid of starting it up again. :lol

i expected improvements/more smooth controls etc cause its upgraded from the gta4 engine

but the impressions make it sound exactly like gta4

feel

TheLegendary said:
Aka someone who would reaffirm your hype for this game? What if this guy is right and there are problems?
What?? No NOOOO NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :lol

But whatever, I'm just very jealous, ignore me.

Magnus

TheLegendary said:

I mean, I'm no fan of the Western genre of film (and games, for what few there've really been), so I mean, the presentation might really be nailing it and I just don't even know. Riding out in the country on one mission was really liberating and cool. Horseback riding is what's making this experience neat and different right now. It's actually the only thing new and different making it worth playing if one doesn't care for the scenery/theme. Otherwise, it's GTA.

Conversations between characters are really drawn out and full of pleasantries (repeating proper names so many times, as an example). It's definitely setting the tone, but it's kind of dragged out, and maybe that's perfectly emblematic of the mood and feel they were shooting for. All the characters are quite...relaxed. It's like a stoner town. :lol

edit- It's been quite some time since I played GTA4, but from what I remember, the gunplay there was definitely worse than this. Shit feels more precise here when it comes to aiming/shooting. And like I said, a light tap of R2 fires. No need to push in.

mujun said:
Call him on it when the person who was mistaken was his source? Sounds like shooting the messenger.

This is honestly the only part of your post I feel like I need to respond to, as the rest was opinion and I don't mind that. When you put it on the internet and you are a community leader, some people will take it as the gospel. At that point you better damn well make sure you "trusted source" is right. Otherwise, just keep it to yourself. If you are going to put it out there, you should be called on it if its wrong. That is why I wouldn't post a rumor as fact which is pretty much what he did.

This is my last post on this as I already feel like it has taken up much more thread space than it needs.

Beardz

Letters said:
No offense Magnus, but really wishing someone else got the privilege of being the first one to have it here, someone who would appreciate this kind of game more. :/

What do you mean by "this kind of game"?

Teknoman

Magnus said:
I mean, I'm no fan of the Western genre of film (and games, for what few there've really been), so I mean, the presentation might really be nailing it and I just don't even know. Riding out in the country on one mission was really liberating and cool. Horseback riding is what's making this experience neat and different right now. It's actually the only thing new and different making it worth playing if one doesn't care for the scenery/theme. Otherwise, it's GTA.

Conversations between characters are really drawn out and full of pleasantries (repeating proper names so many times, as an example). It's definitely setting the tone, but it's kind of dragged out, and maybe that's perfectly emblematic of the mood and feel they were shooting for. All the characters are quite...relaxed. It's like a stoner town. :lol

edit- It's been quite some time since I played GTA4, but from what I remember, the gunplay there was definitely worse than this. Shit feels more precise here when it comes to aiming/shooting. And like I said, a light tap of R2 fires. No need to push in.

So you dont like westerns, gont like GTA/ GTA style games, but you picked up the game anyway? What was the main drawing point?

feel

Beardz said:
What do you mean by "this kind of game"?
Free-roam and western, he doesn't seem fan of either, but like I mentioned before, that was mostly jealously talking, so lets just ignore that post of mine.

Dabanton

Cant0na said:
i expected improvements/more smooth controls etc cause its upgraded from the gta4 engine

but the impressions make it sound exactly like gta4

Which is music to my ears as i loved GTA:IV.

Don't know how other people will take that news seeing as they felt it was 'boring'.:lol

Magnus said:

I remember you getting GoW III full two weaks ahead of the crowd! Now you got RDR. You should get a tag something like "destroyer/confirmer of hype, depending on the game" :p

Dabanton said:
Which is music to my ears as i loved GTA:IV.

Don't know how other people will take that news seeing as they felt it was 'boring'.:lol

Agreed. Let the haters hate and the others freak out. I still can't wait. But then again I would be hyped even if this game received 7s all around.

Top Bottom