• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Magnus

Teknoman said:
So you dont like westerns, gont like GTA/ GTA style games, but you picked up the game anyway? What was the main drawing point?

A combination of hype, the fact that I used to love GTA games, will probably still be there day one for GTA V, still dig free-roaming, and uh, I didn't exactly pay for this. I'm permitted to play it early as a perk of employment.

BeeDog

Dabanton said:
Which is music to my ears as i loved GTA:IV.

Don't know how other people will take that news seeing as they felt it was 'boring'.:lol

The main character in this game DO seem to control better than in GTA4, at least that's the impression I got from the stream that was active yesterday. :D

I'm gonna pop GTA 4 in my PS3 to reacquaint myself with the engine. It's been a really long time since I've played it, because GTA 4 bored me pretty fast, frankly, but I think that the location of RDR makes for more interesting gameplay and missions.

slash213

LovingSteam said:
Impressions!
I didn't take that picture. Five hours ago guy named Silverman (might be the first one to upload Borderlands) posted it along with promises to upload it soon.

I seriously shouldn't give a shit, I have so many games unfinished, but the hype is doing it for me.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Magnus said:
edit- It's been quite some time since I played GTA4, but from what I remember, the gunplay there was definitely worse than this. Shit feels more precise here when it comes to aiming/shooting. And like I said, a light tap of R2 fires. No need to push in.
That at least is good to hear

Dead Man

Magnus said:
The story's slow to start. Like, mud. I'm actually kind of disappointed in the events of the first hour. Practically nothing's happened and I have no sympathy or love for any of these characters.

Riding feels fine, very Zelda-ish. I need to adjust the stick sensitivity.

Physics are like, 100% GTA IV. Which I'm not a fan of. There always seemed to be like, a half-second's worth of lag for things like jumping or initiating a sprint by mashing X, and that's still here.

And, holy fuck, while I was typing this, the game just crashed and my PS3 shut off. :lol :lol :lol

Man, I was not liking how loud it was getting.

edit- oh man, thank goodness, turned it back on and it seems to be fine. I heard three beeps, and then went over to the PS3 and I saw a flashing Red Light. Tapped the reset button once and it went a solid red, waited 10 seconds and turned the system on, and it's fine.

Fuck, I'm afraid of playing this again now.
This + L2/R2 + Gamespy = hype killed. Fuck. I wanted this to be awesome.

Teknoman

Magnus said:
A combination of hype, the fact that I used to love GTA games, will probably still be there day one for GTA V, still dig free-roaming, and uh, I didn't exactly pay for this. I'm permitted to play it early as a perk of employment.

Good enough reason as any then.

As far as gamespy powered online goes, I never had any problems once in game with GTAIV, just that not many had headsets back then/I didnt have many on my friends list to play GTA with.

Are there any areas in the game that look overly dark at night?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
The whole tapping A to run and the delay/clunky movement of GTA IV is what kills it for me.

ugh. Definitely not liking what I'm reading.

Dabanton

BeeDog said:
The main character in this game DO seem to control better than in GTA4, at least that's the impression I got from the stream that was active yesterday. :D

Yeah movement looks much more smoother.

edit: is Gamespy used for both the versions?

Teknoman

Cerrius said:
The whole tapping A to run and the delay/clunky movement of GTA IV is what kills it for me.

ugh. Definitely not liking what I'm reading.

Well once in a combat situation, you just run when analog is at full tilt.

mujun

Death Dealer said:
Your arguments are poor and you make little sense.
I stated my opinion, the "substantial problems" rumor is FUD, and you didn't like it. And you tried to make the conversation about "me", by raising false contradictions, and bringing up Alan Wake of all things. Just drop it.

I couldn't figure out why you needed to help everyone out by explaining in such detail why Cheapy shouldn't be trusted.

But like cjtiger300 said we are detracting from the thread so I'll leave it at that.

Magnus

The feeling that you're playing GTA with a Western skin slapped on is unshakeable. It is what it is.

Just started a mission that's taking me traveling across the plains to another town. No popup, great framerate, really quite a vast and gorgeous representation of the world as it was then.

Srider

Banned
Did anyone honestly not expect this to be GTA4: The Western?

Ever since GTA3 days has Rockstar made anything free roaming games that not a GTA clone?

The only shock here would be the game being different from Red Dead Revolver.

The people who are turned off after the impressions, what were they expecting exactly?

xxracerxx

I was just hoping they would fix the awful movement your character has while running around. Especially when you are running, then stop and turn, that whole floaty turn motion is horrible. Plus just trying to jump and get oriented in the correct position is just down right terrible. Also the hand to hand fighting....ugh.

Magnus

I like a bunch of little touches so far, like one's field checkpoint represented as a scratched out 3d yellow "X", as if it were scrawled on a map. Would've really broken the mood if it was a glowing green light or something otherwise out of place.

xxracerxx said:
I was just hoping they would fix the awful movement your character has while running around. Especially when you are running, then stop and turn, that whole floaty turn motion is horrible. Plus just trying to jump and get oriented in the correct position is just down right terrible. Also the hand to hand fighting....ugh.

Yeah, this aspect of GTA control is 100% intact, sadly. It's the same control for movement, exactly. If anything, it seems like your main character can make slightly sharper turns, but again, been awhile since I played 4. Can't remember if Niko could do hairpins. :lol

Dead Man

Srider said:

Ever since GTA3 days has Rockstar made anything free roaming games that not a GTA clone?

The people who are turned off after the impressions, what were they expecting exactly?
Personally, I was hoping (not expecting) R* to listen to some of the complaints about GTA IV and at least allow customisable controls, use the analogue functions, and just maybe, make it a bit less clunky.

Srider said:

That this wouldn't be GTA: RDR
I thought that it would be similar, because these people have a certain formula for making games, but I don't want the same game with a different skin. If it is, I'll be very disappointed, because I've been riding this hype train for a while, and I don't want it to go directly into the side of a mountain. Shit, even R* said that this wouldn't be GTA with horses, and I'm taking their word for it until I get the game in my hand.

Cant0na

Banned
Dabanton said:
I can see the rather unfortunate backlash coming for this game.
GTA4 2010 edition

still getting it though..............and then moaning about it. good thing i'll have alan wake at the same time so i can switch back and forth when i get too mad at the controls

SamuraiX-

Why the bagging on the GTA IV physics engine? I thought it was one of the most dynamic engines I have ever experienced, particularly with how the character models reacted to getting hit, shot, etc.

xxracerxx

Magnus said:
Yeah, this aspect of GTA control is 100% intact, sadly. It's the same control for movement, exactly. If anything, it seems like your main character can make slightly sharper turns, but again, been awhile since I played 4. Can't remember if Niko could do hairpins. :lol
Bleh....oh well, I am still stoked for the setting and other aspects.

Srider said:

Bully wasn't a GTA clone. Since the game is not officially out and been played by more than reviewers and people who have received an early copy, I wouldn't be too quick to jump to conclusions.

Even based on reviews and impressions (good or bad), the game still doesn't sound like a GTA clone.

Magnus

The instructional text at the top left is a little hard to read sometimes if you're sitting at a distance, and I'm on a 46" Pan plasma. I don't envy those with smaller screens right now. I mean, I was playing on a 32" for GTA4 and remember cursing at the map, being unable to discern shit almost all the time.

I'm only 4 missions in guys. Whole game could change in the next couple of hours.

Aaahhhhh the inevitable GAF Transcontinental hype train derails a little...I thought I smelled something brewing...:lol

anyway still PS3 for me (most of my firends have one), too bad about R2/L2 but you could've guessed it was coming. I didn't care for run-tap and R2 lock in GTA4 and I probably won't care in RDR. Hopefully people won't be too anal about it and enjoy the game nonetheless

G_Berry

Banned
It's a pity places like Digital Foundry don't get early access to multi platform games. If the games are identical like devs keep saying (Dead Space 2 for example) then prove it.

This whole leaving us in the dark bull shit has to stop.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
SamuraiX- said:
Why the bagging on the GTA IV physics engine? I thought it was one of the most dynamic engines I have ever experienced, particularly with how the character models reacted to getting hit, shot, etc.
I love the Euphoria physics. I'm however also sad about the L2/R2 system. I guess I need to glue two of my realtriggers together to make it bearable.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
idahoblue said:
This + L2/R2 + Gamespy = hype killed. Fuck. I wanted this to be awesome.

It sounds exactly like wht I expected. I liked GTA4 (despite the boring story and missions) and had no problems with how it played. The gameplay, coupled with all the incredible freatures we saw in the gameplay featurettes and the absolutely fuckawesome atmosphere means my hype is as strong as ever.

I mean really, his post basically said: this plays like GTA4, oh shit my ps3 broke. How did you get enough out of that to kill your excitement?

Jtrizzy

"Clunky" is the perfect word for the combat and movement in GTAIV imo. Did they get rid of the auto adjusting camera? Sounds like you still have to press X to run?

Sounds like they tightened up the gunplay a little at least. Definitely going to need some alone time with game before purchasing.

SamuraiX- said:
Agreed.

It's tough going back to Havok physics after experiencing Euphoria

Srider

Banned
SamuraiX- said:

Exactly, my hype for this game is largely made up of two things.

1) Shooting dudes off horses/building/other awkward situation.

2) Dragging dudes behind a horse and see the body bump up and down.

Atmosphere/sense of scale and physics are the only things I have high hopes for in this game, and so far I don't think it will disappoint.

I have no doubt the game will have generic story/flow and probably unmemorable characters. I already hate the VA for the main character, sounds like some pedestrian from GTA4.

I still can't wait to lasso and shoot some cowboys.

Munin

Are you guys seriously that pissed about some petty control issues? "Hype killed" because the controls are the same as GTA IV? Sheesh. I'm glad I'm not as jaded as some of the people here.

Spookie

StevePharma said:
Aaahhhhh the inevitable GAF Transcontinental hype train derails a little...I thought I smelled something brewing...:lol

Kind of inevitable it was going to jump the tracks at the speed it was going. :lol

Bit disappointed they still haven't learned to pace the game after GTA: IV.

Srider

Banned
Crazypanda_85 said:
Bully wasn't a GTA clone. Since the game is not officially out and been played by more than reviewers and people who have received an early copy, I wouldn't be too quick to jump to conclusions.

Even based on reviews and impressions (good or bad), the game still doesn't sound like a GTA clone.

How was the bully not like GTA? wow....

If it's not, then RDR is probably not either by the same definition. Not a bad thing either way, but Rockstar will be Rockstar imo no matter how its spun.

Loudninja

Magnus said:
The feeling that you're playing GTA with a Western skin slapped on is unshakeable. It is what it is.

Just started a mission that's taking me traveling across the plains to another town. No popup, great framerate, really quite a vast and gorgeous representation of the world as it was then.
Sounds so good, so it runs well with short load times and looks great as well.Sounds like it turn out well.l

Magnus

Game's sound design is quite nice. It has a signature bleakness in the smallest town, and the crickets are deafening in other areas.

I just instigated a gunfight and Wanted status in one town and between the heavy RED hud, a bit of a framerate dip and the crappy running controls, I was a little frustrated to be sure. The hud tint when injured is nothing compared to whatever the fuck was going on in Modern Warfare 2. I distinctly remember being unable to see when I was heavily damaged in that game.

Magnus

The horseback riding controls are easily the best I've ever encountered in a game. I remember getting frustrated far more often with Zelda and SotC.

If you need to make a jump at point blank range over a fence, I love that you can just hit Square, and the horse will jump. No need to back up, get a running start and ride at top speed with a curve to clear it. Might not be terribly realistic, but it's making it much easier to control.

Man, I personally don't have much love for the setting, and I'm still getting a pretty great thrill out of just roaming the wide open terrain on horseback. Those of you who dig the setting will probably be in heaven. It's kind of gorgeous in a way no GTA has been.

The camera's behaving very well.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I just wish Rockstar would swallow their pride and ape the controls from Saints Row.

Fast responsive controls with no delay and no auto adjusting camera.

Jtrizzy

Magnus said:
Game's sound design is quite nice. It has a signature bleakness in the smallest town, and the crickets are deafening in other areas.

I just instigated a gunfight and Wanted status in one town and between the heavy RED hud, a bit of a framerate dip and the crappy running controls, I was a little frustrated to be sure. The hud tint when injured is nothing compared to whatever the fuck was going on in Modern Warfare 2. I distinctly remember being unable to see when I was heavily damaged in that game.

Rockstar is probably the best when it comes to atmosphere and writing, but their gameplay mechanics are sadly still stuck in the PS2/XBOX generation.

I'm just not sure I can enjoy a multiplayer game that doesn't have excellent and refined controls. Still holding out hope for free roam though.

Jtrizzy

Cerrius said:
I just wish Rockstar would swallow their pride and ape the controls from Saints Row.

Fast responsive controls with no delay and no auto adjusting camera.

Or something similar to Uncharted. I know it isn't perfect either, but it's far far more intuitive and smooth than GTAIV.

Thanks for providing the impressions Magnus...

Cerrius said:
and for fucks sake its 2010 stop making me tap a button to run assholes.

/endrage

And I thought I'd read they got rid of this too :(

Cant0na

Banned
Rockstar should try to hire the Saints Row gameplay leads

R* story/character design/world + Saints row gameplay = perfect open world game

Dead Man

luka said:
It sounds exactly like wht I expected. I liked GTA4 (despite the boring story and missions) and had no problems with how it played. The gameplay, coupled with all the incredible freatures we saw in the gameplay featurettes and the absolutely fuckawesome atmosphere means my hype is as strong as ever.

I mean really, his post basically said: this plays like GTA4, oh shit my ps3 broke. How did you get enough out of that to kill your excitement?
Ummm... I'm not allowed to want different things to you? :lol I hate clunky controls, I hate using R2 to shoot. I love Euphoria physics, I love R*'s worlds, I am just not enjoying their games that they make in them. I hated the way GTAIV played, so that's enough.

So deal with it. I will.

Magnus

Cerrius said:

/endrage

You can hold X to merely jog, and mash it to sprint (although, that's not much faster than a jog at all here :lol ).

Kind of defeats the purpose of an analog stick though, I agree. Holding the stick at full tilt shouldn't just be a standard slow walk.

Cday

Banned
Cerrius said:

/endrage

I thought I saw somewhere that if you hit x/a and then hit it again and hold it you will run. That could just be for the horse though.

Top Bottom