• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

dexterslu said:
I need FOXES. Anyone got a good spot?

When I was trying to find beaver up in Tall Trees, I came across a ton of foxes thinking they were beaver because they're almost as small as they are.

And speaking of beavers:
All the trouble looking for five of them and the 10 red sage and feathers, the conclusion of Daedalus and Son was so hilarious it was still worth it. :lol

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
dexterslu said:
I need FOXES. Anyone got a good spot?

Any where is fine... just do a barrel roll
---------

"They can be found in various locations, but are most common between Mercer's station and Riley's Charge, and Rio Del Lobo. They can also be found south of Beecher's Hope in West Elizabeth, where the fox image is on the map. "Baiting" in the Rio del Lobo canyon frequently produces foxes. Should be noted that baiting this area may produce cougars frequently too, along with quite a few foxes (when more up-hill in Rio del Lobo).

There is a hunting/skinning challenge occuring randomly south of Warthington Ranch at night, where a Hunter will ask you to hunt and skin foxes for him. He will give you some bait, and after using it, three to five foxes appear. You only need two to complete the challenge, but while you're at it... "

Solo

vhfive said:
People do realize that the game came with a map that shows where all the animals are right?

That the game came with a map? Yes. That it shows animals on it? No :lol I just took a cursory look at it when I got the game then folded it back up, never to be looked at again.

Thanks for the heads up!

Dead Man

Is there anywhere to find beavers, or bighorns in the first 2 sections of the map? Second playthrough and I haven't finished Mexico yet but I am trying to get as much progression as possible in the ambient challenges and stranger missions

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Fantastic game. I'm feeling a bit disconnected today because I only got 3 hours of sleep last night. Played this game from start to finish for ~14 hours straight.

My only complaints are:
1. Fast travel was tedious through camps.
2. Damn shops were always closed due to hours. Cities like Blackwater I would have to fetch my horse, ride outside of town, save 1-2 times, ride back.

I'm amazed at the world they created. So much detail and diversity. Some of the areas of the map remind me of Austin TX (a bit more arid in the game).

owlbeak

idahoblue said:
Is there anywhere to find beavers, or bighorns in the first 2 sections of the map? Second playthrough and I haven't finished Mexico yet but I am trying to get as much progression as possible in the ambient challenges and stranger missions
God...good luck on the damned big horns. I need 1 more and I just never run into one. I've usually been lucky enough to find ONE in Tall Trees near the rock face southeast of the waterfall, but that happens like every 1/5 times I play the game. If you find a better spot, let me know.

Reknoc

teh_pwn said:
2. Damn shops were always closed due to hours. Cities like Blackwater I would have to fetch my horse, ride outside of town, save 1-2 times, ride back.

...Why didn't you just save in town?

Mojojo

idahoblue said:

Yes you can find bighorns, during daylight, in the first area, in the mountainous area north of armadillo, up to rattlesnake hollow, I don't remember exactly.

brentech

Completed the story last night. Really delivered.

Now to finish up the ambient challenges. I'm pretty high ranked in each of them except treasure hunting. Still want to cause a bunch of shenanigans as well, I've been a pretty good citizen for the most part.

Aurora

Some of the Ambient Challenges were such a chore. The 5 fox/raccoon/skunk one, the bighorn/elk one and the final Survivalist challenge were the worst of the bunch. Mind-numbingly boring and infuriating all at the same time. Great job R*!

I wish they'd done more with Hunting/Survivalist. I'd have loved to see an Oblivion Alchemy type skill that lets you mix different ingredients to get different potions and elixirs etc.

teh_pwn said:
Fantastic game. I'm feeling a bit disconnected today because I only got 3 hours of sleep last night. Played this game from start to finish for ~14 hours straight.

My only complaints are:

I'm amazed at the world they created. So much detail and diversity. Some of the areas of the map remind me of Austin TX (a bit more arid in the game).

You were amazed at the world they created but used fast travel instead of enjoying it? If the shops were always closed you must have been fast traveling a lot and not hanging out in towns doing extra stuff. Your complaints are most likely from rushing through the game instead of soaking it in.

Frillen

Outtrigger888 said:
You were amazed at the world they created but used fast travel instead of enjoying it? If the shops were always closed you must have been fast traveling a lot and not hanging out in towns doing extra stuff. Your complaints are most likely from rushing through the game instead of soaking it in.

I'm also amazed by the world Rockstar created, but that doesn't stop me from fast travelling. You know, the first 3 or 4 hours or so I didn't fast travel, but riding with the horse became a bit tedious for me, amazing over world or not. And even though the over world is great, and the random things that happens while you're riding are also great, it doesn't stop the fact that you've seen most of it after a few of hours.

does anyone have a suggestion for finding coyotes? I have searched south of Armadillo and around McFarland Ranch for 3-4 in-game days each and I haven't seen a single one. I've used bait many times and it never attracts anything at all.

Solo

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What is fast traveling?

Something that this game has, but since the game and its world are so fucking awesome, you'll never need it. No need to have it in this game, but in something like Oblivion, if it werent there, I would never have finished the game.

So I hated GTA4 so much, and decided to give this game a chance despite that hate. This one has totally hooked me in SP. Where GTA4 drove me crazy and I hated almost everything about the structure of the game, this game is awesome, and I love it. Really really happy I picked this up.

TheKurgan

BobTheFork said:
does anyone have a suggestion for finding coyotes? I have searched south of Armadillo and around McFarland Ranch for 3-4 in-game days each and I haven't seen a single one. I've used bait many times and it never attracts anything at all.

Seems strange. In my games I am usually tripping over wolves and coyotes - they are freakin everywhere. Bait between Armadillo and Hanging rock and you should get some.

johnnyg87

Neo Member
Just beat the game last night (outside of this secret ending I'm just finding out about).. some thoughts:

I really enjoyed the way they ended it... While doing the missions back at the Marston farm I was getting a bit frustrated wondering why the hell I have to herd cattle again etc... but then in the end it all made sense. Training the next character you were going to be. Not a lot of games have the balls to end the way RDR did. One thing the ending probably means for me is that I'll have less of a problem being a jerk with Jack as I did with John. John was a flawed protagonist.. but all his dialogue made me feel bad about killing innocent people etc. With Jack I don't really care because I know he's completely messed up now. Really looking forward to this secret ending now and going through all the challenges etc. Hoping to 100% this badboy but I usually always give up... wish me luck!

Aesius

Finally got 100% last night.

The last 5% was a chore. I ended up killing all but one poker player in Blackwater to get the US Army outfit. And hunting was a pain in the ass. It took ages for skunks, raccoons, elk, bighorns, etc, to show up. But conveniently enough, after I would fulfill the challenge, there would be a stampede of whatever I had been looking for. I think I saw 10 elk running around Tall Trees when previously I was lucky to find one every 20 minutes.

I still enjoyed it though, and the Bureau costume is wayyyy too much fun. I might actually go for 1000/1000 cheevements on this one.

Solo

elrechazao said:
So I hated GTA4 so much, and decided to give this game a chance despite that hate. This one has totally hooked me in SP. Where GTA4 drove me crazy and I hated almost everything about the structure of the game, this game is awesome, and I love it. Really really happy I picked this up.

Yep. I hate GTA4 with a burning passion, and yet RDR seems to have fixed every last issue I had with it, and does everything better. The biggest problem I with GTA4, the lack of variety of missions? RDR laughs in the face of that.

Probably the best R* game since Vice City.

Alucrid

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
ARGH! FUCK YOU BEAR!

And dynamite hunting bears is fun. :D

Edit: NOW A COUGAR KILLS ME WHILE SKINNING? Cheap bastard. :/

Note to everyone, lighting bears on fire does not work. They're fire retardant.

Aesius

Alucrid said:
Note to everyone, lighting bears on fire does not work. They're fire retardant.

The bears in this game are arrogant little bastards. After getting the Master Hunter level 8 rank, I take great pleasure in killing every.single.one.

TheKurgan said:
Seems strange. In my games I am usually tripping over wolves and coyotes - they are freakin everywhere. Bait between Armadillo and Hanging rock and you should get some.
I've actually found quite a few wolves but no coyotes yet.

teh_pwn said:

My only complaints are:

Cotdamn you beat it in 14 hours?:lol WTF?

teh_pwn said:
While the world is nice, I didn't always want to ride a horse 15 minutes to restock on chewing tobacco & snake oil. Lots of missions take you through areas several times over, and I can always explore if I feel like it.

You beat it in 14 hours, and you were restocking on Snake Oil, and Tobacco?:lol I haven't even touched those in 27 hours, and just recently reached "Act II."

teh_pwn

Outtrigger888 said:

While the world is nice, I didn't always want to ride a horse 15 minutes to restock on chewing tobacco & snake oil. Lots of missions take you through areas several times over, and I can always explore if I feel like it.

I did explore the first 3 hours or so, but eventually it was the same "that man stole my horse", "wolves are chasing me", "I'm murdering a whore, stop me before I stab her" or "Someone stole goods from my shop". The main missions were much more interesting, especially in the 2nd half of the game.

Zeliard

Anyone know at what point that third section with Tall Trees opens up? I've done maybe 3 missions in Mexico so far.

This is a wonderful game. Thank you, three-day weekend.

teh_pwn

Zeliard said:
Anyone know at what point that third section with Tall Trees opens up? I've done maybe 3 missions in Mexico so far.

This is a wonderful game.

I think there are 4 characters that give you missions in Mexico. Once you get to the 4th, you're getting close.

teh_pwn

Net_Wrecker said:
You beat it in 14 hours, and you were restocking on Snake Oil, and Tobacco?:lol I haven't even touched those in 27 hours, and just recently reached "Act II."

That's about where I started using them. Some missions they were almost a necessity. Or it could have been sleep deprivation on my part. :lol

Nothing wrong with playing the game like you all are playing it. I'm going to go back and play misc stuff, explore and play DLC.

teh_pwn said:
That's about where I started using them. Some missions they were almost a necessity. Or it could have been sleep deprivation on my part. :lol

Nothing wrong with playing the game like you all are playing it. I'm going to go back and play misc stuff, explore and play DLC.

I'm not saying you played it wrong cause you can do w/e you want to but damn, I bow to your speed. Just surprised me that it'll probably take me 3 times as long as you did to finished the story.

Dead Man

Zeliard said:

This is a wonderful game. Thank you, three-day weekend.
You've still got at least 10 missions to go.

Solo

Zeliard said:
It took me 14 hours just to unlock Mexico. :p

I may beat you there, my man. Im at 12 and I can now do the Fort Mercer mission, but Im going to do a few other things first. I may hit 16-17 hours in New Austin.

Loxley

Word of advice to those going for 100% completion, make sure you check the R* Social Club as you work your way towards it to see how much you have done and what you still need to do.

I was stuck at 99.6% complete for nearly an hour with no idea what I was supposed to do. Turns out, I was under the impression that in order to get 20/20 bounty locations all of the ones that counted were the named bounties (i.e. the posters that had an actual image of the guy you were trying to capture instead of just the "?"). Nope, the last four locations- what I needed to get that last .4%- were A.) All in Mexico, and B.) All just random "?" bounties.

Was releaved when I finally figured that out :D I didn't realize that I'd grazed over a lot of bounty hunting in Mexico.

Top Bottom