• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

confuziz

Banned
Earning money with poker is so goddamn easy. When you get to blackwater you can make about 500 dollars a time if you win, and i've done that about 3 times in a row :lol

I finally got 100% in-game yesterday.

RDR is the first freeroam game I've bothered to do that with even though I've played though GTAIII, VC, SA, GTA4 (twice) and Bully. There's always something I find either too hard/annoying (races) or too time consuming (hunting pigeons) or just too much of a grind. The only thing I found to be a bit of a chore/grind in RDR was the bounty hunting since I stopped doing them during the story after around 7 of them and had to do the rest all at once after finishing it. Everything else was really fun and I'm glad they made the 100% a little more attainable in this one.

And the outfit you get for 100%ing is awesome too!

Now to get those MP trophies!

Zeliard

John Hillcoat, director of The Road, is making a machinima-style promotional mini-movie for Red Dead Redemption, and he said this in an interview:

John Hillcoat said:
I was very surprised when I first saw the game, how expansive it was, and the details, like shadows and the horses, the way they moved, and the weather. The natural world that it was trying to simulate was very impressive. Occasionally, the guys would come in and say, we tried this shot, but unfortunately the guy was attacked by a mountain lion.

Fucking cougars. :lol

Full interview is here: http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/05/john_hillcoat.html. There's a trailer there too.

teh_pwn said:
That's about where I started using them. Some missions they were almost a necessity. Or it could have been sleep deprivation on my part. :lol

Nothing wrong with playing the game like you all are playing it. I'm going to go back and play misc stuff, explore and play DLC.

I've still never used any items. I have the stupid item hoarder mentality, plus from being like that for so long I forget there even are items. :lol

bunbun777

2 trophies to go and yea... this game is good.

Too all those that think MP is so lame and boring...El Presido. Storm the gates! There's enough turrets and cannons for everyone, great place to rack up the kills or defend from attacking posses.

I just got to lvl 33 yesterday, unlocked the Hungarian HalfBred and the misc woman with the feathers sitting on the wagon... she's hawt.

Also I love throwing dynamite in Grab the Bag matches.

Zeliard said:
It took me 14 hours just to unlock Mexico. :p
22 hours.
emot-smug.gif

Klocker

Solo said:
I may beat you there, my man. Im at 12 and I can now do the Fort Mercer mission, but Im going to do a few other things first. I may hit 16-17 hours in New Austin.

I was at 70 hours before I got to Mexico according to the game time

Zeliard

It would've taken me longer but at one point I just did several story missions in a row specifically to unlock Mexico and open up the environment some more. Since I've done that, I'm back to taking my time and roaming around the map. 70 hours pre-Mexico is pretty nuts, though.

Klocker

random encounters and hunting mostly... and rode around a lot... unless there is a bug with the game clock.

I'm at Total time played 3 days 21:35:46 at 44% right now but I'm wondering if the game clock is hosed? :lol

the front page of the newspaper (social club) has me at 28+ hours but that is listed under multiplayer stats

but I don't do missions very frequently

Jinaar

100% completed. Love the single game experience.

Now working with enjoying Free Roam / Multiplayer (Gold Rush is a hoot)

What was amazingly stressful was Khan hunting in Multiplayer. Cougars... fucking cougars....
As well as the Ninja-like-tactics that bears have added to their repertoire of already murderfacing-Mauling you to death. Those bears are pure stealth at times. I've been had by 3 bears at once, no idea how they got the jump on me while I was hunting elk. Maul maul maul.

Freakin' sneaky ass bears.

I miss you, John Marston. *choaks back tears* sniff sniff

Solo

Jinaar said:
Freakin' sneaky ass bears.

I miss you, John Marston. *choaks back tears* sniff sniff

Welp, here I was figuring there was a bear joke underneath these tags, and instead I get the ending spoiled for me.

Haunted

Solo said:
Welp, here I was figuring there was a bear joke underneath these tags, and instead I get the ending spoiled for me.
Spoilers are spoilers, don't highlight if you want to be safe.
Aeris dies.

Zeliard

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It would actually be awesome if certain animals went extinct from time to time online. :lol

Has anyone killed everyone in a single town? Does it actually turn it into a ghost town temporarily?

Greg

From level 20->50 it's going to take ~13 straight hours of grinding a camp over and over. It's the only trophy I have left for platinum, but I think I might sell it now. :lol

Cday

Banned
Anyone else read the newspaper after they "beat the game"?

because there's an article that says Edgar Ross retired and is living in a cabin by lake don julio with his wife. As soon as I read that I raced off to the only cabin around Don Julio and wast disappointed to see no one was home. I was hoping to shoot his wife in front of him and leave him there to rot in his shitty cabin.

Solo said:

Wow, that fucking sucks. I was tempted to look at it but I decided not to just in case.

Zeliard

Solo said:
I wiped out Armadillo before quitting last night :lol

Do people just stop spawning in there for a few in-game days, or something?

I remember there being some talk pre-release of the player being able to turn certain towns into ghost towns by, uh, "displacing" the populace.

And yeah, spoilers are spoilers, but there's something to be said for properly telegraphing them.

Darkman M

Cday said:

because there's an article that says Edgar Ross retired and is living in a cabin by lake don julio with his wife. As soon as I read that I raced off to the only cabin around Don Julio and wast disappointed to see no one was home. I was hoping to shoot his wife in front of him and leave him there to rot in his shitty cabin.

check out the blackwater train station.

K' Dash

Klocker said:
I was at 70 hours before I got to Mexico according to the game time

that can't be right? I'm 22 hours in 60% done and I just finished Mexico, and I have EXPLORED and wasted quite a bit of time just roaming around...

Zeliard

I'm watching Once Upon A Time in The West right now. Movie is still so perfect in every imaginable way. Anyone in this particular thread who hasn't seen it, you've got a job to do.

Solo

Zeliard said:
I'm watching Once Upon A Time in The West right now. Movie is still so perfect in every imaginable way. Anyone in this particular thread who hasn't seen it, you've got a job to do.

And the Dollars trilogy. And Fistful of Dynamite.

Cday said:

Oh man, you're in for such a pleasant surprise.

Barrett2

Solo said:
Im not sure of the ramifications yet. I literally just went postal on the town, saved and quit.
I did the same thing in Armadillo. It seemed like the town quickly re-spawns with people. After about ten minutes of my rampage, they sent a posse of US Marshals who quickly mowed me down. It was like getting 5 wanted stars.

Zeliard

I think the Rockstar rep guy was saying that you can only turn certain towns into ghost towns, so it probably doesn't work with the bigger ones like Armadillo.

Mr. Sam

Hey guys, you know when you
go looking for Bill Williamson but all you find is army troops, and then that one prostitute is really smarmy about you "shooting up the place"
? Well, I shot her. Right through the back of the head. What? She was annoying.

Rikyfree

Time go to all the hideouts and dispense justice in my Marshal uniform. Criminals, prepare to be fucked by the long dick of the law!

@ Zeliard: Get up close, pull your piece, and a press Y/Triangle prompt will come up to rob them.

Zeliard

Has anyone managed to rob NPCs? The RDR wiki said you can rob them if you point a weapon at them, but every time I do they either run away or pull out a gun.

BeeDog

Zeliard said:
Has anyone managed to rob NPCs? The RDR wiki said you can rob them if you point a weapon at them, but every time I do they either run away or pull out a gun.

Yes, you have to press Triangle (or the corresponding 360 button) fast while holding them up with your weapon aimed at them.

BeeDog

SamuraiX- said:
Can beavers only be found once you've gained access to
West Elizabeth
or can they be found while you're still in Mexico?

I have never seen a beaver in Mexico, but the last area is crawling with them.

Klocker

K' Dash said:
that can't be right? I'm 22 hours in 60% done and I just finished Mexico, and I have EXPLORED and wasted quite a bit of time just roaming around...

I know it's crazy but I rarely did missions for a long time and that's what the game time says. If I were to guess I'd say I really have about 55 hours into the game. Anyone else think their game clock is screwed up?

Top Bottom