• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Wizpig said:
f673526a470ba43e6d871ab0d7e6260b.png

Fix this Social Club shit, Rockstar >:mad:

:'( ...

but look at the bright, by playing the game you gained 2 extra days of your life back

Wiggum2007

idahoblue said:
Fuck killing a bear with your knife. Fuck it in the ear. Really, the controls are not your friend for this task, at all. Fuck. I shoot the bear a few times, I lasso him, then try to get him with the knife, and it never registers hits. Bear hits me, I fall down, then the euphoria show off moment happens which means i can't get up, bear kills me. FUCK!

This game is amazing, but I still hate the controls. Fucking weapon wheel sucks, having to hold 2 buttons to shoot sucks.

fuckingthingsucks.gif

/rant. :lol

Can you open your satchel and use medicine while knocked over?

And my main complaint with the controls rests with the on-horse combat controls. I'm supposed to aim with the right analog while still having to tap A to keep running? All while trying to maintain direction with the left analog? Really R*?

I read several people talking about 'fast travel'
I heard people laughing that others didn't know it existed.
I though I knew what the fast travel was.
I figured out how to fast travel last night lol.
I love this game but the slow travel was starting to really annoy me. The horses are realistic and awesome but I couldn't stand either having to run for 10 minutes every time I want to go somewhere and the other options is running just as far to a stage coach and riding. I have been slow traveling everywhere the whole game so far but that ends!

Edit: Above, YES really! Turning and shooting while driving a horse or carriage should be hard; it's a very complicated set of moves. It would be horribly unsatisfying if you could run auto drive and insta lock on every enemy.

Okay, so maybe something wrong happened or something, but I finally got to "Mexico" and this music starts playing...and it's fucking awesome. I'm riding around on this horse I found and the music keeps going with this guy singing and an acoustic guitar and it's kinda drowning out the sound effects, and it's beautiful. But the horse is slow so I whistle for my horse and it comes, and the music goes away. And I'm like "NOOOO! KEEP GOING MUSIC!!!"

Is there anyway to get that song back up so it plays all the time? Did that only happen because I went to the new area? Did it end because I whistled for my other horse?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Skiptastic said:
Okay, so maybe something wrong happened or something, but I finally got to "Mexico" and this music starts playing...and it's fucking awesome. I'm riding around on this horse I found and the music keeps going with this guy singing and an acoustic guitar and it's kinda drowning out the sound effects, and it's beautiful. But the horse is slow so I whistle for my horse and it comes, and the music goes away. And I'm like "NOOOO! KEEP GOING MUSIC!!!"

Is there anyway to get that song back up so it plays all the time? Did that only happen because I went to the new area? Did it end because I whistled for my other horse?

it ended for me when I stopped to pick a damn herb

Solo

Skiptastic said:

Ive come to the conclusion that I must be the only person on earth who hated that song and its usage :lol

When done right (Snake Eater ladder scene), something like that is awesome. In RDR I felt it was a terrible song and completely out of place.

Haunted

Am I the only one who thought (ending spoilers)
that some of the Beecher's Hope missions should have been moved to the beginning of the game and would've made for a better introduction to the story than the sudden in media res beginning we got instead?

Getting to actually, you know, meet your family would've made it much easier to swallow John's conviction to do whatever it takes to get them back. Without having ever seen them during a large portion of the game, his deep connexion and devotion to Jack and Abigail is much tougher to relate to.

A couple (relatively) peaceful ranching missions with his family before their kidnapping would've also strengthened the theme of John not being able to escape his past, because it would've created a stronger contrast to the killing missions he's sent to do during the main portion of the game. Instead we have him introduced as a gunslinger often talking about his (at this point ethereal) family and quiet ranching life. Quite weak in comparison, imo.

Just my two cents on how the game could've been structured better.

Haunted

Skiptastic said:

That they didn't think of this blows my mind.

So many gamers missed this awesome moment or at least had it cut short because the devs apparently didn't think of the possibility that the player would actually, you know, do something during the song. Pretty much anything (gathering herbs, whistling, skinning animals) cancels it out.

Haunted

Solo said:
Ive come to the conclusion that I must be the only person on earth who hated that song and its usage :lol

When done right (Snake Eater ladder scene), something like that is awesome. In RDR I felt it was a terrible song and completely out of place.
Yup.

You're the only one. :p

It was remarkably well done, Brütal Legend also had two fantastic cues like it during the game, but I honestly can't think of many more games where a single song setting in was used this well in recent years.

edit: what the hell people, you made me triple post. I had faith someone would interrupt me in the meantime . :/

Haunted said:
Yea, I got that feeling too.
But still, meeting his family was awesome. I was surprised it didn't end right away after getting back to them.

dread9

Banned
So is anyone else besides me still way early into the game despite playing so many fucking hours and buying it day one? I play poker and hunt wayyyy too much.

Haunted said:
that some of the Beecher's Hope missions should have been moved to the beginning of the game and would've made for a better introduction to the story than the sudden in media res beginning we got instead?

Getting to actually, you know, meet your family would've made it much easier to swallow John's conviction to do whatever it takes to get them back. Without having ever seen them during a large portion of the game, his deep connexion and devotion to Jack and Abigail is much tougher to relate to.

A couple (relatively) peaceful ranching missions with his family before their kidnapping would've also strengthened the theme of John not being able to escape his past, because it would've created a stronger contrast to the killing missions he's sent to do during the main portion of the game. Instead we have him introduced as a gunslinger often talking about his (at this point ethereal) family and quiet ranching life. Quite weak in comparison, imo.

no :) ...

the structure of yakuza 3 is very similar to what you're suggesting. the bad news: the first few hours of the game spent at the orphanage is slooow. the good news: what you come to understand about kiryu in those first few hours really permeates the rest of the game, & gives it a lot more depth than it would've had otherwise...

Wiggum2007

dread9 said:
So is anyone else besides me still way early into the game despite playing so many fucking hours and buying it day one? I play poker and hunt wayyyy too much.

30 hours in and I've just reached Mexico, I've hardly been fast traveling and get distracted by all sorts of side-encounters and challenges.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Over the weekend I beat up the Fort Mercer mission with the Marshall, Nigel, Irish, and Seth, that was easy enough. My only Q is where can I find Blackwater? All I really do in this game is play unhealthy amounts of poker, hunt, and ride around looking for NPCs that need help. :lol So forgive me if I am way behind the curve. I just want to find the high stakes poker game.

Where do I start seeing bears? Like I said I am still in New Austin.

And where the heck can I find wolves to stab up with my knife so I can get the next hunter's rank!?

Didn't buy it day 1, but yeah I am in that boat. I just enjoy hanging out in the world to be honest. So different from GTA4 for me, I couldn't wait to beat that game.

Haunted said:
That they didn't think of this blows my mind.

So many gamers missed this awesome moment or at least had it cut short because the devs apparently didn't think of the possibility that the player would actually, you know, do something during the song. Pretty much anything (gathering herbs, whistling, skinning animals) cancels it out.

So there's no way to get it back? :(

Wellington said:
Over the weekend I beat up the Fort Mercer mission with the Marshall, Nigel, Irish, and Seth, that was easy enough. My only Q is where can I find Blackwater? All I really do in this game is play unhealthy amounts of poker, hunt, and ride around looking for NPCs that need help. :lol So forgive me if I am way behind the curve. I just want to find the high stakes poker game.

And where the heck can I find wolves to stab up with my knife so I can get the next hunter's rank!?

Didn't buy it day 1, but yeah I am in that boat. I just enjoy hanging out in the world to be honest. So different from GTA4 for me, I couldn't wait to beat that game.

Blackwater is the third area so its much later in the game, you find bears in the tall tree's area in blackwater.

Solo

One of my very few gripes with the game is with respect to the hunting challenges. Without fail, the animal your are desperately trying to find will show up in abundance AFTER you hit the target :lol After I finally found 5 wolves to melee/skin after searching forever, I got attacked by like 20 in a row :lol

Haunted

semiconscious said:
no :) ...

the structure of yakuza 3 is very similar to what you're suggesting. the bad news: the first few hours of the game spent at the orphanage is slooow. the good news: what you come to understand about kiryu in those first few hours really permeates the rest of the game, & gives it a lot more depth than it would've had otherwise...
Although I'd say that pretty much all the non-event/peaceful missions in Red Dead Redemption were still more fun than the mind-numbingly slow first hours of Yakuza 3.

Yakuza's do pay off in the end [or so I've heard], but RDR's could've been fun to play and have the pay-off. Oh well.

Skiptastic said:
So there's no way to get it back? :(
Except for reloading, starting a new game or having it run on Youtube in the background, you have ruined this magnificient moment forever.

There's a similar[ly great] one much later in the game.

Haunted

Wellington said:

Keep playing. There are three areas in the game to unlock, you're still in the first one. Blackwater, High Stakes Poker, Beavers and Bears are all in the third area.

Denzar

WTH at the conclusion of the "I know you" stranger missions...

I'm not a big western guy, so maybe I'm missing out on something?

Is the guy with the Stovepipe hat Marston's conscience?

If it has anything to do with the endgame, don't say a word! I haven't finished it yet. Ijust reached West-Elisabeth.

Haunted

Deepack said:
WTH at the conclusion of the "I know you" stranger missions...

I'm not a big western guy, so maybe I'm missing out on something?

Is the guy with the Stovepipe hat Marston's conscience?

If it has anything to do with the endgame, don't say a word! I haven't finished it yet. Ijust reached West-Elisabeth.
Something like that, yes. The mission is finished, but keep playing.

Solo said:
One of my very few gripes with the game is with respect to the hunting challenges. Without fail, the animal your are desperately trying to find will show up in abundance AFTER you hit the target :lol After I finally found 5 wolves to melee/skin after searching forever, I got attacked by like 20 in a row :lol

Wait until you're hunting the skunks, foxes and raccoons.

Haunted said:
Am I the only one who thought (ending spoilers)...

Yeah I would have kind of liked at least a little intro with the family. Just for a better idea of what he's fighting for.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Haunted said:
Keep playing. There are three areas in the game to unlock, you're still in the first one. Blackwater, High Stakes Poker, Beavers and Bears are all in the third area.
Barf. I don't even want to advance the game, I just want to keep fucking around. :lol

Eh, I guess it's good that I'm at over 30% complete then. Closing in on 100% will be easy when I decide to push forward.

WTF is that shit after the death of D
utch? Toally unsatisfying. I wasn't even able to shoot that guy. Come back to a nagging wife, lousy son and a drinking stepdad(?). Then I have to lead a herd through half the country. WTF???

levious

Wellington said:
Barf. I don't even want to advance the game, I just want to keep fucking around. :lol

Eh, I guess it's good that I'm at over 30% complete then. Closing in on 100% will be easy when I decide to push forward.

You should have just one more mission for mexico to be opened anyway.

I can't get the
Uncle missions to start.
I have been trying forever but the motherfucker is always inside sitting on a chair and I can't progress. Wtf.

Srider

Banned
Where in the Coots Chapel do I find the scrap for the Deadly Assassins outfit?

I found a box next to a drawer but neither of them has the scrap inside. Is my game bugged?

Rikyfree

Patrick Bateman said:
utch? Toally unsatisfying. I wasn't even able to shoot that guy. Come back to a nagging wife, lousy son and a drinking stepdad(?). Then I have to lead a herd through half the country. WTF???
At the end, you will realize what is really going on.

Haunted

Patrick Bateman said:
30jmqzk.jpg

I guess some people just aren't the family type.
:lol

eznark

Banned
after you beat the game do you get dumped back into the world, or should I do all the side quest stuff before progressing?

Solo said:

What sucked for me is that I wasn't looking on the provided map in the box, but the map in the game for looking for animals. So I go to the Rio del Lobos looking for wolves, when I should have gone north of the MacFarlane ranch, because I literally sat there for 20 minutes killing and skinning wolves while I was looking for boars! :mad:

OneLetter

There I did it, and yes, I snuck in the Volition logo. I had to power-cycle the game twice to get the final 3 strangers to show up, since multiple saves and time advancement wouldn't work.

Wish some of the cutscenes weren't as drawn out as they were (ended up skipping a bunch because of that), but overall, I enjoyed my $60 worth of entertainment. Also finished off with the Dastardly achievement just for fun. :D

Oh, and ++ to the fast travel system - saved me hours upon hours.

a8h.jpg

levious

so the stranger mission "who are you to judge" I didn't catch why
she had the guys horse in the first place?

Dead Man

Wiggum2007 said:
Can you open your satchel and use medicine while knocked over?

And my main complaint with the controls rests with the on-horse combat controls. I'm supposed to aim with the right analog while still having to tap A to keep running? All while trying to maintain direction with the left analog? Really R*?
LOL, never thought of that! Oh well, I finally got it anyway. And yeah, there are plenty of odd decisions in the control config. Just use analogue movement, and have 1 button to holster and draw a weapon, that would solve 90% of my issues with the game. That and making fast travel accessible from the map.

Haunted said:

Yeah, I think it was not clear why he was doing all this, but maybe even if they just had a flashback after getting shot by Williamson, showing the kidknapping whne the faces of your escorts were still fresh would have worked, then you could still have those great bonding moments at the end, too.
God knows there was enough custscene at the start of the game though, maybe they wanted to avoid having any more.

levious said:
Yeah, I've done one that twice now. If she stole it, why give it back. If not, why does she have it?

Srider

Banned
Dubbedinenglish said:
Look in the surrounding ruins

The game only gives me money when I open the boxes....

Is there some special thing i have to do to even get it listed in the outfits selection?

Ive already put the DLC code in to unlock the content. I just cant get it listed in the outfits list.

OneLetter said:
There I did it, and yes, I snuck in the Volition logo. I had to power-cycle the game twice to get the final 3 strangers to show up, since multiple saves and time advancement wouldn't work.

What do you mean powercycle? Just turn the console off and on to get them to appear? For some reason the "Love is the opiate" mission wont appear for me, not sure what I have done wrong (I did the supposed 2 prerequisite missions)

Haunted

idahoblue said:
Yeah, I think it was not clear why he was doing all this, but maybe even if they just had a flashback after getting shot by Williamson, showing the kidknapping whne the faces of your escorts were still fresh would have worked, then you could still have those great bonding moments at the end, too.
God knows there was enough custscene at the start of the game though, maybe they wanted to avoid having any more.
Yes, absolutely.
Anything would've helped, really, even just a short flashback cutscene or something. But what really got me is that they had some of these relatively mellow missions at Beecher's Hope and I just couldn't help thinking "man, these would have fit so well at the start of the game."

uraldix said:
I found plenty of foxes and raccoons but the skunks were nearly impossible.

Yeah, I eventually found an area with a ton of foxes and raccoons. Never could find a reliable place for the skunks when I was actually looking for them. I always saw a ton of them wandering around the area west of Armadillo before I actually needed to hunt them though. Then they vanished.

Haunted said:
Yes, absolutely.
Anything would've helped, really, even just a short flashback cutscene or something. But what really got me is that they had some of these relatively mellow missions at Beecher's Hope and I just couldn't help thinking "man, these would have fit so well at the start of the game."

When I was playing them I kept thinking, "Why am I playing fucking tutorial missions at what has to be the end of the game?

OneLetter

kyo_daikun said:
What do you mean powercycle? Just turn the console off and on to get them to appear? For some reason the "Love is the opiate" mission wont appear for me, not sure what I have done wrong (I did the supposed 2 prerequisite missions)

Yup - just turned it off, waited a few seconds, and turned it back on. When I re-loaded my save, I have questions marks / purple circles again.

Goldrusher said:
15ozes6.jpg

Movies that inspired the creators.

Was it actually said that these were the specific movies that inspired Red Dead Redemption, or is this just a list of favorites by the OP?

levious said:
Right after completing that mission she went nuts on me and tried to skin me alive. I was surprised that, after killing her I didn't get the usual -50 in honor, so I guess she was just a regular thief?

uraldix

Where were you looking? I see them all the time when it's nighttime in Nuevo Paraiso.

I looked there and around Armadillo at dusk/night. The problem was that they disappeared when I needed them :D I am back to seeing them all the time again.

LSauchelli said:
Right after completing that mission she went nuts on me and tried to skin me alive. I was surprised that, after killing her I didn't get the usual -50 in honor, so I guess she was just a regular thief?

That's weird. She made a couple of comments and walked off when I did that mission.

Top Bottom