• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

X26

Banned
big_z said:
rockstar must have had low expectations for this game and undershipped. i cant find it anywhere. :(

I remember reading an article months ago that said as much, that they didn't expect to make much is any money on RDR

R* is probably as surprised as anybody

Gyrian

Finished it over the weekend. Enjoyed it more than I can say, but here are some thoughts:

Loved how the story stuck to its recurring themes. Nothing ever changes.
I played John as a good guy, helping honorably at every chance. This is how I read him. Yet, no matter how much good you do, they never let you forget your past. When I saw who was attacking me in John's last mission, I knew right away how it was going to end. I was really upset at the betrayal, because I really wanted peace for Marston.
I also really liked the meeting of the family towards the end. I found the way it was presented to be very effective. You know so little about them in the beginning, only that John has an unshakable conviction to get them back safely. I looked forward to every bit of information that was dropped along the way in passing conversation, like their names. By the end of it all, after having gone through so much, I was infinitely excited to get them back. The ride (run) to Marston's ranch to that music was another great moment. The Ranch missions were a lot more fun than I would have given them credit for, considering the material.

I was heartbroken to see John go, but it was a great ending.

Great follow up and extra with Jack, also. I tried in vain more than once to disarm Edgar in the last duel, wanting more answers out of him. The way you're made to meet his family before this moment is pretty strong, too, considering you have no options when you face him.

There's very little in RDR that's left me wanting.
Great environment, great narrative, and great use of some of the best material the old west has provided in its stint through different media. The soundtrack is just brilliant, with the often commented vocal tracks playing to great effect, and a beautiful set of original compositions that knows which cues to borrow from Morricone & co.

I even found myself coming back to the optional activities over and over, which is really odd for me as I typically hate them in all the free roam games I've played.

Just might go for 100% on this one.

micrometaru.gif

Gravijah

I forgot to mention, when I was playing through the lead up to the ending
my four year old sister happened to be watching. I don't let her watch the gory parts, and I didn't really expect what happened to happen. As Abigail was lying on John I looked over at her and noticed tears in her eyes. I apologized 50 times and told her I'd go stop the guys that did that.
:lol

OneLetter said:
Yup - just turned it off, waited a few seconds, and turned it back on. When I re-loaded my save, I have questions marks / purple circles again.

Im sure I have had this before, going to try tonight and see if I can get the stranger to actually show up.

Gravijah

nskinnear said:
Ugh.

The game has now frozen 5 times in the past week. I finally manage to kill and skin 2 raccoons (which are nearly impossible to locate), and the game freezes.

Fucking awesome.

What version do you have out of curiosity? I've put 100 hours in and I've only had 1 freeze on the 360.

X26

Banned
nskinnear said:
Ugh.

The game has now frozen 5 times in the past week. I finally manage to kill and skin 2 raccoons (which are nearly impossible to locate), and the game freezes.

Fucking awesome.

do you have the game on your hdd?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
LSauchelli said:
Right after completing that mission she went nuts on me and tried to skin me alive. I was surprised that, after killing her I didn't get the usual -50 in honor, so I guess she was just a regular thief?

haha, weird, after the mission for me she started working on a small garden patch

nskinnear said:
Ugh.

Fucking awesome.
Raccoons are easy to find behind the stagecoach in Armadillo at night.

Dever

Banned
Great game. The only thing that really bothered me was the poor framerate on PS3 and some glitches.. *end spoiler*
Pumping Ross full of lead at the end was fucking satisfying. Damn.

jred2k

Everyone that loves the use of music in this game should play Alan Wake. As good as entering Mexico is, that atmosphere is outclassed at the end of every level in AW.

Klocker

ok it's confirmed... game time is hosed at least on my game... went to bed at 102 hours (4days 6hrs) woke up played for 30 minutes and it showed 5days 8hrs.
If I were to guess I'd say I have about 60 hours in actually..

Edit: theory... I have 3 manual game save slots and an auto save. I wonder if it's adding them all up?

Kak.efes

Ramirez said:
End game spoilers:

Am I the only one that blew his wife and brother away too before dealing with Ross?
:lol

I shot them both square in the chest with my double barrel, my only regret was not having the ability to let Ross know what became of them before I shot him.

The Lamonster said:
Was it actually said that these were the specific movies that inspired Red Dead Redemption, or is this just a list of favorite Westerns by the OP?
Anybody know? I'm wanting to rent me some Westerns.

timkunedo

jred2k said:
Everyone that loves the use of music in this game should play Alan Wake. As good as entering Mexico is, that atmosphere is outclassed at the end of every level in AW.

I do and man i am SOOO close to going out and buying AW. I almost caved at lunch. :D

Solo

jred2k said:

Correct.

Animal

Banned
jred2k said:

damnit stop trying to seduce me. My backlog is too big right now.

I probably won't last another week without caving in on AW :lol

uraldix

The Lamonster said:
Anybody know? I'm wanting to rent me some Westerns.

Not sure if they were the actual inspiration or not but The Outlaw Josey Wales, Unforgiven and Pale Rider are three of my favorite westerns.

Anyone going to be online tonight (UK) or in a few hours? I'm looking for other players to rank up with, it's about 5 times faster doing Gang Hideouts in a posse of 4. PSN is GTA_Chaos.

And has anyone tried to jump off a moving train onto your horse yet? :lol I'm not sure if it's possible, but Euphoria makes it pretty hilarious.

Stantron

Hunting animals is fun. Waiting through the excessively long and boring cut scene of skinning the animals over and over again is not. This has probably been mentioned before, but I ALWAYS do the following...
Ride your horse so that it is standing directly over the corpse. When you get off, you will be prompted to press Y to skin the animal. However, since you're horse is in the way, when pressed, the game will just give you the item(s) while skipping the animation all together. Especially time saving when collecting skins of the larger animals that have longer animations. This glitch also sometimes happens if you're on a steep inclined hill (no horse required). Does not work for picking flowers though.

Sorry for posting again, this thread moves too fast:

Anyone know when RStar is doing an update for multiplayer? Perhaps a hardcore free roam mode + other coop missions?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
This game NEEDS an expansion or two. I need more Red Dead.

I think I'm going to restart the single player today. I keep jumping into this thread and I feel jealous that I have already had all these experiences everyone is posting about (100% the game already). I wish I could forget ever playing this game so I could discover it's greatness once again.

Aurora said:
Man, the missions with the Gatling Gun are awful. Made me want to smash my 360 to pieces.

Yeah, the bullets seem to just go straight through people unless you focus the gun on them for around 30 seconds, by that point all the other guys have killed you...

Wiggum2007

kyo_daikun said:
Yeah, the bullets seem to just go straight through people unless you focus the gun on them for around 30 seconds, by that point all the other guys have killed you...

I don't think I failed a Gatling Gun mission once after I remembered I could open my satchel mid-fight and use medicine.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Funny glitch happened to me -

Immediately after finishing the "I Know You" stranger mission
After Marston opens fire on the mysterious man, the stranger mission is complete, and the man is impervious to bullets. But to my surprised, (and delight) he re-materialized right on the spot, once I was given control of Marston again. The dude just... stood there.

So I did what anyone would have done. I punch him in the back of the head and then ground tackled him :lol . After a while the fistfight got boring so I headshot'd him. -50 Honor, but that was the only penalty. He has $6 on him.

TheUsual

Gold Member
GDJustin said:

After Marston opens fire on the mysterious man, the stranger mission is complete, and the man is impervious to bullets. But to my surprised, (and delight) he re-materialized right on the spot, once I was given control of Marston again. The dude just... stood there.

So I did what anyone would have done. I punch him in the back of the head and then ground tackled him :lol . After a while the fistfight got boring so I headshot'd him. -50 Honor, but that was the only penalty. He has $6 on him.

:lol :lol :lol

Lakitu said:
Not far left for you now.

Come on man... it's pretty cool. @@@@@@@ @@@@@, going to the @@@@@@@and shit. Spending time with the @@@@@ going@@@@@@@@. It's awesome. It was a nice change of pace.

Noooooo, aaaaaargh, I feel the paaaain!
Take me 35 hours to finally reach mexico, this is the game of life for me, and you spoil me the grand finale? Hope you did it on pourpose.

Go now, edit your fucking post!

Shit!

Aurora

Wiggum2007 said:
I don't think I failed a Gatling Gun mission once after I remembered I could open my satchel mid-fight and use medicine.
Medicine isn't gonna help with the TNT thrown at you.

The Gatling Gun is far too weak and imprecise for what it's meant to be. You expect to obliterate your enemies when actually you need to train the crosshair on them for a good 5 seconds before they drop. It's more effective to kill them with a Repeater or Rifle, which defeats the whole point of a mounted gun.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
thelurkinghorror said:
Noooooo, aaaaaargh, I feel the paaaain!
Take me 35 hours to finally reach mexico, this is the game of life for me, and you spoil me the grand finale? Hope you did it on pourpose.

Go now, edit your fucking post!

Shit!
Can you at least spoil it in your post, for fucks sake?

Aurora said:
Medicine isn't gonna help with the TNT thrown at you.

The Gatling Gun is far too weak and imprecise for what it's meant to be. You expect to obliterate your enemies when actually you need to train the crosshair on them for a good 5 seconds before they drop. It's more effective to kill them with a Repeater or Rifle, which defeats the whole point of a mounted gun.

I 100% agree, when I swing it around I expect people to die instantly from the hail of bullets flying from it, instead I have to aim at horses because they are easier to hit than their riders, totally ridiculous...

I seem to have missed the spoilers so im going to GTFO of this thread for the next hour till shit gets fixed up...

Haunted

GDJustin said:

:lol Another mystery solved!

jred2k said:

I am too much of a scaredy cat to find that out

Jon

I spent an hour last night searching and searching (and searching) for the first hidden treasure. I knew it was at
the Hanging Rock
, but based on the picture I thought
THE FUCKING TREE HAD TO BE VISIBLE FROM THE ROCKS!
. I finally gave up and looked up the location and was thoroughly disappointed. I'm not sure how I would have ever found that.

Dead Man

Jon said:
I spent an hour last night searching and searching (and searching) for the first hidden treasure. I knew it was at
the Hanging Rock
, but based on the picture I thought
THE FUCKING TREE HAD TO BE VISIBLE FROM THE ROCKS!
. I finally gave up and looked up the location and was thoroughly disappointed. I'm not sure how I would have ever found that.
I had a similar problem with the second one.
I was looking all up and down the dried river bed. Wrong spot.
I found all the rest no problem though! :lol

DeathGlobe said:
Gold!

Top Bottom