• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Ramirez

I didn't really mind any of the missions except for herding cattle, who thought that would be fun? It's in the game like 3-4 times and it's not fun in any of them. -_-

Ramirez said:
I didn't really mind any of the missions except for herding cattle, who thought that would be fun? It's in the game like 3-4 times and it's not fun in any of them. -_-

It was fun watching them run off a cliff in that thunderstorm one.

Also in the last one, a few of them ended up getting hit by a train in my game.

Gribbix said:
rdr_referendumju4u.jpg

when they had voting up I honestly prefered the hunting and merchant ones since I knew I'd look like a cowboy already in all the other outfits... oh well

again, does anyone have a link to the short film that was shown on saturday on fox channel?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Ramirez said:

I loved those. But growing up I was really really into old westerns. Herding cattle was cool for me just because it was a realistic task that you would have to do if that was your lifestyle. I appreciated the little details like that.
Like I think they did a really good job at not making the game too "gamey".

SamuraiX-

Holy mother... FUCK Tall Trees! That was not my idea of sightseeing.

So I take the first bounty that's available when you first arrive in
Blackwater
. The guy is parked somewhere over in Bearclaw Camp. The name of his location has the word "bear" in it. What the fuck could possibly go wrong? I arrive at the spot, take out his groupies, and proceed to chase him on horseback... when I notice that he is flooring it! Holy shit, I was barley able to keep up.

Next thing I noticed, the dense green brush turns into an arctic forest and this guy is giving me the damn grand tour of the place because he won't slow the fuck down. He dragged me through bears, wolves, cougars, and whatever the hell else is infesting that God forsaken place before I finally caught him. Mind you this is the first time I've seen this area for myself and I'm rather reluctant to go back. -.-

Btw, did anyone else feel a kind of culture shock experience after advancing through New Austin and Mexico and finally arriving at
Blackwater? Even though everything is still relatively old fashioned compared to today's world, the game makes it feel like the industrial revolution didn't exist for the first two locations. :lol

Dead Man

Fuck killing a bear with your knife. Fuck it in the ear. Really, the controls are not your friend for this task, at all. Fuck. I shoot the bear a few times, I lasso him, then try to get him with the knife, and it never registers hits. Bear hits me, I fall down, then the euphoria show off moment happens which means i can't get up, bear kills me. FUCK!

This game is amazing, but I still hate the controls. Fucking weapon wheel sucks, having to hold 2 buttons to shoot sucks.

fuckingthingsucks.gif

/rant. :lol

Ramirez said:

I actually loved those. I groaned when I first heard that I'd have to do it, but when I got to play it I really had fun with it. It helps that the cattle really just go where they're scripted to and you only have to chase down the occasional straggler. I thought it was a great way to have the player come to grips with the horse controls; after herding the cattle and the race against Bonnie they became second nature.

JMizzlin

Bloody hell, the amount of people who don't want you to have the Most Wanted achievement...

Going for it tonight as soon as I became a Public Enemy I'd have other players swarming on me. Almost got it a few times, too. Ugh.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Eye Drop said:
Bloody hell, the amount of people who don't want you to have the Most Wanted achievement...

Going for it tonight as soon as I became a Public Enemy I'd have other players swarming on me. Almost got it a few times, too. Ugh.

surprisingly i got that achievement easily

pretty much no one bothered to fight me while i was camping in chuparosa so after gettin the 1k bounty and waiting a bit i escaped and shortly thereafter bam achievement unlocked

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Eye Drop said:

I luckily got into a server where pretty much everybody was holed up in the Presidio, shooting up cops with gatling guns and cannons. Getting Public Enemy status was easy enough, although at one point there was one guy killing us (same posse too), but we kicked him.

For the Most Wanted achievement, climb on top of the building opposite the train station in Blackwater. The ladder is the only way up there, so it's easy to cover, and the roof has a wall running around the edge, so people can't shoot you from the ground.

matrix-cat said:
I actually loved those. I groaned when I first heard that I'd have to do it, but when I got to play it I really had fun with it. It helps that the cattle really just go where they're scripted to and you only have to chase down the occasional straggler. I thought it was a great way to have the player come to grips with the horse controls; after herding the cattle and the race against Bonnie they became second nature.

Does a throwing knife work? I recently hit a bear with one and he fell like a stone. :x

Solo

Finally got to Mexico last night. I dont know why so many are jizzing their pants over the music there. I thought it was a terrible and track and completely out of place. But hey, opinions and assholes.

However, the two final missions that get you to Mexico are fucking awesome.
Mowing down fools with a gatling gun and a ride down the river on a raft?
Hell yes!

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
RelentlessRolento said:
when they had voting up I honestly prefered the hunting and merchant ones since I knew I'd look like a cowboy already in all the other outfits... oh well

again, does anyone have a link to the short film that was shown on saturday on fox channel?

eye patch

How can it be a disadvantage when it make you look like a total badass? :D

------

The short film

Numpt3

Gooster said:
I spent most of the afternoon unlocking achievements, and now I have about 12 to go. The Friends in High Places achievement scared the crap out of me because I was pretty low on ammo by the time I racked up a $4,900 bounty and then when I finally hit $5K, the damned ticket booth clerk wasn't there! Thankfully a save and a reload fixed that. I also pretty much wiped out Blackwater. By the end, Blackwater's streets were littered with policemen's hats and lady bonnets. :lol

Finally got the damned 100% checklist page on the Rockstar Social Club page working! 87%!

Random tip for the No Dice achievement: Head to Casa Madrugada, and at least in my game, there is only one dude sitting at the Liar's Dice table. It's pretty much a piece of cake from there.
:lol

I hid behind the bar in the saloon and the police officers just kept flooding through the door, it was pretty easy untill I started running out of ammo aswell. So I made a dash for the street and whistled for my horse hoping it would get to me in time before I was taken down in a hail of bullets. Once on my horse I rode for the fields, lost my wanted level, saved the game then went back for more. :D

Solo

I just signed up for the Rockstar Social Club. Strangely, its showing that my game completion is at 0.0%, despite the fact that I know my game is at 33.7%. Anyone know why? Is it because I need to play the game AFTER signing up to get the data sent?

Solo said:
I just signed up for the Rockstar Social Club. Strangely, its showing that my game completion is at 0.0%, despite the fact that I know my game is at 33.7%. Anyone know why? Is it because I need to play the game AFTER signing up to get the data sent?

Just play the game and check the social club tab in-game. Next time you log in it should be updated

Pezking

Lakitu said:
Am I the only one who loved the
ranching, John Marston's family life at his farm
missions. That was a nice breath of fresh air.

You're not the only one. I really enjoyed those missions.

I even wish there could be a sequel/spin-off called "Red Dead
Harvest" :lol

But I hated it when
John got killed. I should have stopped playing earlier, it would have been a perfect ending with him riding in the sunset, reunited with his wife.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Just rode into
Mexico
and loving it. That
Landon Rickett-character reminds me of The Cowboy from The Big Lebowski

Probably a stupid question, as i've just started, but how do you know how good your horse is ?
I was doing the stagecoach mission where the guy is dying and you have to get him to town whilst the guys are shooting at you
and I kept whilstling my horse to follow, sure enough he did, i felt like i didn't want to lose him, was i just wasting my time ? How do you know if a horse is fast ?

shagg_187 said:
Fuck... just ordered 2 Limited Edition playing cards and "Outlaws to the End' T-shirt from Rockstar store...

Going to have to order a pack of the playing cards, do they ship to the uk or is it an america only thing?

Aurora

Patrick Bateman said:
I just finally disarmed 6 guys without reloading or switching weapons for the Level 10 Sniper, got the achievement and a pop up screen, then the 7th guy shot me and the game reloads the checkpoint. :(

Now I got the problem that Marston always reloads his gun automatically. Can I switch that off?
Nope, but you can empty your gun to your last clip that way you will never reload. Best to use the Mauser Pistol which holds 15 bullets.

But hold on, if you actually disarmed the 6 guys to reach Rank 10, the game auto saves. Even if you died straight after, loading the auto save will have you at Rank 10 already. Happened to me this way too.

Guenther

kyo_daikun said:
Going to have to order a pack of the playing cards, do they ship to the uk or is it an america only thing?
They ship world wide. Just ordered the Collector´s Pack 2 (shipping to Austria).

Where can I find puma (I need to knife two of them) on the map ? The illustration is kinda... bad and I can't identify a puma. Is it like the giant cat ?

RelentlessRolento said:

The Assassin looks exactly like Russell Crowe's charachter in 3:10 to Yuma

310toyuma.jpg

Dizzle24

UnluckyKate said:
Where can I find puma (I need to knife two of them) on the map ? The illustration is kinda... bad and I can't identify a puma. Is it like the giant cat ?

You don't find them, they find you. :lol Yes it's a giant cat/mountain lion/cougar/cougar of death aka "Ninja Cat." :lol

Look on the map up near the edge of where Tall Trees meets with New Austin and there's a pic of a Boar. They are usually around after 8am.

Also around the bridge that leads to the second map, before you cross it.

Dizzle24 said:
You don't find them, they find you. :lol

Look on the map up near the edge of where Tall Trees meets with New Austin and there's a pic of a Boar. They are usually around after 8am.

Also around the bridge that leads to the second map, before you cross it.

Repentance Rock is where I found mine. But damn save after each one and stick up on medicine. Like dizzle said those bastards find you.

Solo

Cougars do that too :lol I just about pissed myself last night when I was walking along and then suddenly a cougar was on my back.

Lakitu said:
Am I the only one who loved the
ranching, John Marston's family life at his farm
missions. That was a nice breath of fresh air.

To a point, as I was doing them with unease, expecting something to go wrong, and, well it eventually did.

Solo

In just 2 weeks this thread almost has more action than the GTA4 one did in 2 years :lol

Red Dead Redemption, indeed.

Wiggum2007

Solo said:
In just 2 weeks this thread almost has more action than the GTA4 one did in 2 years :lol

Red Dead Redemption, indeed.

Good, I am by no means a GTA4 hater, but this is easily the better game. After all the rumors about development problems, I was worried about how the final product might fare.

Kittonwy

Banned
idahoblue said:
Fuck killing a bear with your knife. Fuck it in the ear. Really, the controls are not your friend for this task, at all. Fuck. I shoot the bear a few times, I lasso him, then try to get him with the knife, and it never registers hits. Bear hits me, I fall down, then the euphoria show off moment happens which means i can't get up, bear kills me. FUCK!

This game is amazing, but I still hate the controls. Fucking weapon wheel sucks, having to hold 2 buttons to shoot sucks.

fuckingthingsucks.gif

/rant. :lol

You can lasso teh bear? I didn't know that. :0

Indifferent2.gif

Footos22

So i was in tall trees hunting bears last night to get the bearly legal trophy
had 17 with one more to kill.
Found one so i blasted him in the face with my trusty semi auto shotgun. hooray i thought. just about to skin the bastard when i hear a roar from behind spin round and there was another one behind me. quickly activated dead eye and put 4 shotgun shells in his head mid-pounce. The grizzly bastard did a reverse triple flip evil knevil would of been proud of :D

I was actually laughing my head off at the screen and while doing so got violated by a big furry ninja bear :(

Top Bottom