• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Jtrizzy

I don't think people are meaning to complain about the physics from GTAIV, it's the character/camera movement, combined with ultra clunky cover system and gunplay.

Just think back to the BS final mission of IV with the warehouse, and chasing the guy.

mujun

Cant0na said:
Rockstar should try to hire the Saints Row gameplay leads

R* story/character design/world + Saints row gameplay = perfect open world game

Sounds to me like you have trouble distinguishing between "good vs bad" and "apples vs oranges".

Loudninja

Magnus said:
The horseback riding controls are easily the best I've ever encountered in a game. I remember getting frustrated far more often with Zelda and SotC.

If you need to make a jump at point blank range over a fence, I love that you can just hit Square, and the horse will jump. No need to back up, get a running start and ride at top speed with a curve to clear it. Might not be terribly realistic, but it's making it much easier to control.

Man, I personally don't have much love for the setting, and I'm still getting a pretty great thrill out of just roaming the wide open terrain on horseback. Those of you who dig the setting will probably be in heaven. It's kind of gorgeous in a way no GTA has been.

The camera's behaving very well.

Man these impressions are great.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
idahoblue said:
Ummm... I'm not allowed to want different things to you? :lol I hate clunky controls, I hate using R2 to shoot. I love Euphoria physics, I love R*'s worlds, I am just not enjoying their games that they make in them. I hated the way GTAIV played, so that's enough.

So deal with it. I will.

Yeesh. I'm just saying you let a very early impression from a single guy completely deflate your interest far too easily. It's a very common symptom in these kinds of gaf threads.

Dead Man

mujun said:
Sounds to me like you have trouble distinguishing between "good vs bad" and "apples vs oranges".
Sounds to me like you have trouble with people expressing preferences.

luka said:
Yeesh. I'm just saying you let a very early impression from a single guy completely deflate your interest far too easily.
Nah, it's been hovering on the edge since the game was announced. :lol I really have a love/hate thing with R* this gen.

I just can't believe they still aren't using the analog stick proper ...well except for in "combat mode," whatever the fuck that means =/

Magnus

criesofthepast said:
I'm guessing the multiplayer servers aren't up yet, Magnus? Probably no one online even if they were.

They're up! I just tried Multiplayer Free Roam, and was spawned in some town as some random dude. One other guy was online, tried finding him but was killed when I tried to jack a horse from a wandering posse of riders.

In multiplayer, run seems to be automatic with just using the analog stick, and then, when you hold X, your character sprints. Mashing X appears to do nothing.

I just went back to single player to try this and see if I was just imagining things earlier or something, but no. In single player, whether in a town or in the wilderness, the stick alone keeps you just at walking speed. Holding X with it is a jog, mashing X is only a slightly faster sprint.

Jtrizzy

So you have to tap X to run...SMH

Why not just use the analog stick, click to sprint it to sprint like in FPS. Use x to jump/climb, use circle to take cover and L1/R1 to aim similar to Uncharted.

Srider

Banned
It sounds like people want unified controls across all their games.

Sure GTA4 styled clunkiness can be annoying and cause frustrations, but that's the point isn't it?

How would the game feel if John Marston is super responsive and moves like a ninja while all other NPC's behave like normal people?

Jtrizzy

Magnus said:
They're up! I just tried Multiplayer Free Roam, and was spawned in some town as some random dude. One other guy was online, tried finding him but was killed when I tried to jack a horse from a wandering posse of riders.

In multiplayer, run seems to be automatic with just using the analog stick, and then, when you hold X, your character sprints. Mashing X appears to do nothing.

I just went back to single player to try this and see if I was just imagining things earlier or something, but no. In single player, whether in a town or in the wilderness, the stick alone keeps you just at walking speed. Holding X with it is a jog, mashing X is only a slightly faster sprint.

That's good to hear, but just makes me wonder why it can't be that way in SP...I hate it when games have different schemes from one to the other.

Magnus

I'm starting to toy around with random gunplay in town and fucking around with the authorities. Did GTA4 enemies react when shot in specific areas, like the knee or arm? I shot a dude's horse, and it crumpled to the ground quickly, sending its rider off the front. I nailed him once in the right knee, and he fell to the ground. He then, got up one leg, knee bent, turned and fired at me over his shoulder. I took out the other knee, and he started crawling around, pulling himself around with his arms. :lol

BeeDog said:
Magnus, is there any quick travel option like in Oblivion?

Pretty sure there is. An NPC informed me that a waiting stagecoach could take me back to the first town (I didn't take it though; I've been riding around aimlessly trying out all sorts of shit since then). I assume it would have been instantaneous travel had I taken it though.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Magnus said:
mashing X

FFFFFFUUUUUUUU

Magnus said:
I'm starting to toy around with random gunplay in town and fucking around with the authorities. Did GTA4 enemies react when short in specific areas, like the knee or arm? I shot a dude's horse, and it crumpled to the ground quickly, sending its rider off the front. I nailed him once in the right knee, and he fell to the ground. He then, got up one leg, knee bent, turned and fired at me over his shoulder. I took out the other knee, and he started crawling around, pulling himself around with his arms. :lol

My hype has been reaffirmed.

Srider

Banned
Magnus said:
I'm starting to toy around with random gunplay in town and fucking around with the authorities. Did GTA4 enemies react when short in specific areas, like the knee or arm? I shot a dude's horse, and it crumpled to the ground quickly, sending its rider off the front. I nailed him once in the right knee, and he fell to the ground. He then, got up one leg, knee bent, turned and fired at me over his shoulder. I took out the other knee, and he started crawling around, pulling himself around with his arms. :lol

Pretty sure there is. An NPC informed me that a waiting stagecoach could take me back to the first town (I didn't take it though; I've been riding around aimlessly trying out all sorts of shit since then). I assume it would have been instantaneous travel had I taken it though.

GTA4 definitely does not have that, and omg, this game is so going to deliver. :lol

Gonna drag some dudes behind a horse and see if I can use it as a flail against people. :lol

Teknoman

AgentOtaku said:
I just can't believe they still aren't using the analog stick proper ...well except for in "combat mode," whatever the fuck that means =/

I'd think its whenever you shoot your gun/people start shooting/throwing things at you.

Loudninja

Magnus said:

Yeah they did react but no where near that much :0

Magnus said:
I'm starting to toy around with random gunplay in town and fucking around with the authorities. Did GTA4 enemies react when short in specific areas, like the knee or arm? I shot a dude's horse, and it crumpled to the ground quickly, sending its rider off the front. I nailed him once in the right knee, and he fell to the ground. He then, got up one leg, knee bent, turned and fired at me over his shoulder. I took out the other knee, and he started crawling around, pulling himself around with his arms.
Have you no decency?

That sounds awesome btw

BeeDog

Magnus said:
I'm starting to toy around with random gunplay in town and fucking around with the authorities. Did GTA4 enemies react when shot in specific areas, like the knee or arm? I shot a dude's horse, and it crumpled to the ground quickly, sending its rider off the front. I nailed him once in the right knee, and he fell to the ground. He then, got up one leg, knee bent, turned and fired at me over his shoulder. I took out the other knee, and he started crawling around, pulling himself around with his arms. :lol

Awesome, thanks for the answer.

Jtrizzy said:
That's good to hear, but just makes me wonder why it can't be that way in SP...I hate it when games have different schemes from one to the other.

This is exactly how is was in GTAIV

Run was actually mapped to the analog stick. Just not in SP

WHY THE FUCK I HAVE NO IDEA!

Magnus said:

IRC the people you shoot in GTAIV did react if you shot them in the leg with a limp or whatnot but not to the extent of dragging themselves on the ground like that. :lol

Sounds awesome.

Magnus

So, being Wanted is a lot more dynamic and engaging than it seemed to be in GTAs past.

Getting attention in certain areas causes a local authority to get involved, sometimes with a quick cutscene (I saw the first town's local sheriff pop out when he got the call that someone (me) was shooting up the cows on the ranch). Then it switches back to you and you can go about your business.

The wanted circle of 'range' on the minimap expands and grows in different ways, and the officials seem to be able to hire posses to go after you, unexpectedly increasing the distance they're willing to travel to find you. I thought I was out of the clear once, but then got hunted down. :lol

edit-

I tried to recreate the NPC dragging himself around on his arms, and it appears that's just the beginning of a death animation. I apparently just shot him before it finished. :lol :lol

mujun

idahoblue said:
Sounds to me like you have trouble with people expressing preferences.

Nah, it's been hovering on the edge since the game was announced. :lol I really have a love/hate thing with R* this gen.

You might be right, though I personally enjoyed both for different reasons.

MercuryLS

Banned
I'll never understand how GAF thinks RE4/5 control just fine but GTAIV controls like shit. It just defies logic.

GTAIV's controls were fine, they could have been better but they got the job done. I'm sure the controls in RDR will be fine as well.

Jtrizzy

Srider said:
It sounds like people want unified controls across all their games.

Sure GTA4 styled clunkiness can be annoying and cause frustrations, but that's the point isn't it?

How would the game feel if John Marston is super responsive and moves like a ninja while all other NPC's behave like normal people?

I'd be fine with semi uniform controls for games that are essentially 3rd person shooters. I won't even touch Resident Evil 5, it's controls are even worse:lol So sure, if it means that I can enjoy two great franchises, then I'm all for it.

The MGS series is the perfect example. Terrible gunplay until they finally got it (close to) right with 4.

My complaints aren't with the character responsiveness, it's the camera which iirc did this weird auto adjusting thing, and especially the need to tap X to sprint.

Srider

Banned
Magnus said:
So, being Wanted is a lot more dynamic and engaging than it seemed to be in GTAs past.

Getting attention in certain areas causes a local authority to get involved, sometimes with a quick cutscene (I saw the first town's local sheriff pop out when he got the call that someone (me) was shooting up the cows on the ranch). Then it switches back to you and you can go about your business.

The wanted circle of 'range' on the minimap expands and grows in different ways, and the officials seem to be able to hire posses to go after you, unexpectedly increasing the distance they're willing to travel to find you. I thought I was out of the clear once, but then got hunted down. :lol

So it's not like there is a "police patrol car" appearing out of nowhere 2 blocks away right after you shoot someone?

You actually see the sheriff respond to the call and hired gangs has to find you and track you down before any combat happens?

Magnus

Srider said:
So it's not like there is a "police patrol car" appearing out of nowhere 2 blocks away right after you shoot someone?

You actually see the sheriff respond to the call and hired gangs has to find you and track you down before any combat happens?

The cutscene bit happened twice, most of the time it has been patrol car style with sudden gunshots ringing out and you getting shot.

I once took out a random horse/wagon and its rider in the middle of nowhere, but one of the passengers took over the wagon before I got to it and rode it away and back to a nearby town I guess (out of my view, I couldn't catch up), and only then did Wanted status kick in.

Loudninja said:
So Magnus having fun yet? :p

For sure. Naturally the fun kicked in when I just went off and did my own thing. :D I'm exhausted though, gonna call it a night and try it out some more tomorrow.

I didn't mean to kick some people out of the thread though. You guys should be able to keep talking in here. I'll spoiler tag shit.

Magnus said:
The cutscene bit happened twice, most of the time it has been patrol car style with sudden gunshots ringing out and you getting shot.

I once took out a random horse/wagon and its rider in the middle of nowhere, but one of the passengers took over the wagon before I got to it and rode it away and back to a nearby town I guess (out of my view, I couldn't catch up), and only then did Wanted status kick in.

For sure. Naturally the fun kicked in when I just went off and did my own thing. :D I'm exhausted though, gonna call it a night and try it out some more tomorrow.

From what I remember from one of the previews, the whole system is based on witnesses. Apparently there's a witness icon, and if you can keep all witness quiet/dead, then no trouble'll come to you.

Ok, so after playing GTA 4, I'm reminded that the engine is actually pretty damn good. Thinking back, it's really only the subject matter and the world in GTA 4 (or any GTA, really) that bored me. I don't like the urban setting and the story associated with it. Playing a big ass game like GTA 4 in a gray city smothered by buildings just isn't fun to me. I like vast, open, natural worlds with the beauty in the landscape (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, SotC, Oblivion, Fallout, etc.) I get into the game and characters much more when I'm engrossed in the world.

RDR obviously is all about the landscape, and I think I'll be instantly hooked to this game. It also helps that this is one of my favorite points in American history. Moreover, I would like to see some improvement with the engine. GTA 4 is somewhat....lethargic. I would like to see that changed somewhat--but not too drastically. I like the realistic feel of it. The running needs work (It shouldn't be as awkward as it is to run) and so does the gunplay, but I think gunplay will not be an issue at all in RDR. I just hope there's not a fuckton of useless side games/missions like in any GTA. They're just pointless. They don't advance the game at all, and it's more of a chore than fun.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Awesome. I'm really liking what I'm hearing. :D

Magnus said:
For sure. Naturally the fun kicked in when I just went off and did my own thing. :D

The GTA series was definitely like that. The problem was there was just never all that much to actually do in GTA other than cause random violence. RDR sounds like it does a hell of a lot to keep the wandering around looking for trouble interesting and relevant.

Srider

Banned
Magnus said:

Since you are going to bed, I'm going to assume the times where gun shots suddenly rang out are only when there are armed people around, and close to town.

I hope not everyone is armed in the game.

The witness deal sounds awesome.

Thanks for all the impressions so far.

Ledsen

This could be petty of me, but I just noticed in the uploaded gameplay movie that the light from the lamp post doesn't create shadows when you ride under them... looks kind of weird since the lamps are so prominent during the night. I thought GTA4 had real-time light and shadows from lightsources? I guess not.

Rhino

Magnus said:

odfwq.gif

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Ledsen said:
This could be petty of me, but I just noticed in the uploaded gameplay movie that the light from the lamp post doesn't create shadows when you ride under them... looks kind of weird since the lamps are so prominent during the night. I thought GTA4 had real-time light and shadows from lightsources? I guess not.

Only select light sources. Usually when you're outside it's just the sun. In the recent patch for GTA4 pc they actually added realtime headlight shadows at nighttime.

UFRA

I was originally pretty anti-RDR since I've never been a cowboy fan, and mostly like modern settings in games like GTA....however this game really does look awesome.

My friends already pressured me to pre-order it, which I did last week, however after reading this thread I don't see how I could possibly pass this game up.

Can't wait now!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Beardz said:
Red Dead Redemption ♦ The Official Thread of Clunky controls and GTA with a coat of western paint
Isn't this what RDR was always suppose to be anyway? :p

MacBosse

Red Dead Redemtion is confirmed delayed in Scandinavia.
Report is that it has to do with production problems.

Delayed a week from 21st to 28th.

CozMick

Banned
Well choosing Gamespy as there game servers has pretty much killed the hype for me.

Infact, I'm seriously considering my purchase............

Borderlands, Wipeout HD, etc.... all have broken voice chat that has never worked.

Thanks Rockstar
you're fucking useless

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
CozMick said:
Well choosing Gamespy as there game servers has pretty much killed the hype for me.

Infact, I'm seriously considering my purchase............

Borderlands, Wipeout HD, etc.... all have broken voice chat that has never worked.

Thanks Rockstar
you're fucking useless
Eh? isn't the main draw to these games the single-player campaign?

So does this use gamespy online for ps3?, the last game i know that used that had fucked voice chat. I think im going to have to wait for confirmation on the voice chat working ok.

Top Bottom