• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

HixxSAFC said:
and the game has gotten better and better. I thought it would run out of steam but its kept going strong. I think 20-22 hours is about right, it took me about 35 to complete GTAIV first time round and that started to drag a bit.

I felt pretty much the same way... I always hate the last half of any GTA game. For instance, in San Andreas, I got the plane, opened up the "Vegas" area, and just realized I was done with the game... I kamikaze'd some people in the street and just turned off the game :lol In GTA4 I think I turned it off after the wedding or something.

With this one, I was worried it was going to happen the same way. The latter half of Mexico was the worst for me, because I hated the characters and I wasn't really buying John's motivation anymore. How many times does he have to say, "Okay fine, I'll do this for you but THEN YOU GOTTA HELP ME" before he finally just says "fuck it then, I'll do it myself."

But then after that the game was pretty much perfect :D It picked up and I loved every bit of the end of the game.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
UrbanRats said:
Let's keep the "Girls-Age" stuff in the OT section, shall we?

Aw, come on. That's GameFAQs message board humor right there.

(Seriously, just try looking for information on where to find beavers on the RDR GFAQS forum. Every reply is "HURR HURR IT MEANS VAGINA".)

Rebel Leader said:
Savior the moments, don't wolf them down

I've definitely savored the moments, I think I just played way too much. I think a break will do. Doesn't change my opinion of the game at all. It's not really that bad, I still put a good amount of time into it, but I don't find myself as excited to do so.

jkanownik

Papercuts said:
Clearing the poker table in blackwater though...I'll probably keep that until the end, I only managed to clear it once in a different area by pretty much bluffing the whole time. Didn't seem as successful there, and I suck at poker.

I did this last night at the high stakes table. Once the NPCs get knocked out they don't come back. I just went all in with every decent hand I had and quit if I lost. Cost me $1,000 but I got it done in ~30 minutes.

Haunted

lawblob said:
I was up in the snowy mountains, some dude comes running at me, says he needs my help.

Naturally, i hog-tie him, drop him right next to the window of the cabin, pour bait all over him, and go inside the cabin and look out the window and watch the bears come for him.
:lol naturally.

Aurora

Arcipello said:
Question how come im the only one who NEVER heard any Jose Gonzalez track while in mexico.... everyone goes on about it and it NEVER played for me:( very sad panda here
WTF? There was a song with lyrics that was meant to play when you enter Mexico? I got absolutely fuck all. Thanks R* and your retarded glitches.

I know no one cares but I finally picked this up now that I have a couple free days and I can't wait to dive in. But I have to wait until tomorrow.

The guys at Gamestop were fighting about me buying it. One said great choice and how sick it is, the other was saying it's just GTA4, that I've played it already, and you ride everywhere on a horse so that's why the game is so long. :lol

Sullichin

I
got back to my ranch, got some new cattle with my son and scared away some crows.
How much of the game do I have left? I'm afraid the story's going to be over soon. Hope not.

Foob

man this game does such a good job of making you really dislike the transition from the plains to blackwater

i might be alone in that, but man it was such a stark contrast and i was kind of hating riding my horse on a paved street

Salami Inferno

Neo Member
Foob said:
man this game does such a good job of making you really dislike the transition from the plains to blackwater

i might be alone in that, but man it was such a stark contrast and i was kind of hating riding my horse on a paved street

It's not that I disliked it. More that I felt totally out of place and uncomfortable. You spend the whole game out in the plains and deserts, hunting animals and hanging out in small towns, then you're in a town with paved streets and sidewalks. Everyone is wearing suits and you have your duster (or whatever) and are covered in guns, your horse steps sound different and you just look out of place. Excellent Job.

Bottom paragraph:

snapshot20100515081438.jpg

I know what the first sentence means. What is that last sentence?

ZZMitch

DTLIONS1013 said:
Is there a way to disable the animal skinning animation? Its worn out its welcome

Cmon, theres nothing better then running a horse off a high cliff, using it to break your fall, then skinning it!

Nothing better. :D

Zeliard

Aurora said:
WTF? There was a song with lyrics that was meant to play when you enter Mexico? I got absolutely fuck all. Thanks R* and your retarded glitches.

It's really gorgeous, sorry you missed it. I'm glad someone in the thread had warned earlier that you can miss that song if you either miss the trigger or lose it. Since they give you some mangy horse when you get to Mexico, a ton of players will probably have the immediate instinct to whistle for their real horse, and that's apparently one thing that kills the trigger for that song.

I made perfectly sure never to get off the horse or do something that might kill the trigger (if I hadn't read that warning, the first thing I would have done is whistle for my horse). I did do some hunting while that song was going, though.

I can't put into words how majestic it was to hunt animals in the Mexican desert with that song playing. It was extremely evocative.

eznark

Banned
Just finished "I Know You" stranger quest.
what the fuck. if there is some bullshit Uncharted like twist I am going to be pissed

Are freezes in Blackwater a common issue? I've had two within a relatively short amout of time. (Even the area might have been the same)
I know about the "duel freeze" in Armadillo. 360 version.

eznark said:
Just finished "I Know You" stranger quest.
what the fuck. if there is some bullshit Uncharted like twist I am going to be pissed

Yeah I didn't figure that out.

Finished the game tonight. Really impressed with the story aspect of it.
I guess I really don't understand why the entire army came after him at the end...If they had used that on williamson and dutch they wouldn't have needed marston. I also like what happens to allow you to free play after the ending.

Wiggum2007

In the middle of a game of Five Finger Fillet, I starting hearing some yelling and grunts. So I finished the match and went to take a look. Sitting next to the path at the edge of the settlement was a rattlesnake, and every time someone would walk into or out of the settlement it would bite them and they'd keel over and die. :lol

Clipjoint

I don't know if this works for everyone in terms of clearing the table at poker in Blackwater.

I saw 4 dudes playing, so I pulled out my pistol and they all scattered. I went upstairs and came back down, and only one guy was sitting at the table. I played against him, raised huge amounts each time I had anything resembling a hand, and I had him down to zero in less that 10 mins.

Daigoro

Wiggum2007 said:
In the middle of a game of Five Finger Fillet, I starting hearing some yelling and grunts. So I finished the match and went to take a look. Sitting next to the path at the edge of the settlement was a rattlesnake, and every time someone would walk into or out of the settlement it would bite them and they'd keel over and die. :lol

thats awesome. :lol

ZZMitch said:
Cmon, theres nothing better then running a horse off a high cliff, using it to break your fall, then skinning it!

Nothing better. :D

being able to skip the animation wouldve been better. :(

shit is annoying.

Zeliard said:
It's really gorgeous, sorry you missed it. I'm glad someone in the thread had warned earlier that you can miss that song if you either miss the trigger or lose it. Since they give you some mangy horse when you get to Mexico, a ton of players will probably have the immediate instinct to whistle for their real horse, and that's apparently one thing that kills the trigger for that song.

I made perfectly sure never to get off the horse or do something that might kill the trigger (if I hadn't read that warning, the first thing I would have done is whistle for my horse). I did do some hunting while that song was going, though.

I can't put into words how majestic it was to hunt animals in the Mexican desert with that song playing. It was extremely evocative.

i missed the song too. had no idea until way after i passed that point. crappy.

Anybody else having a problem where the game says it's saving but it isn't? I've had autosaves and manual saves disappear or have older saves show up when I clearly remember saving after.

DTLIONS1013 said:
Is there a way to disable the animal skinning animation? Its worn out its welcome

What you can do is stand near the animal with your horse then skin it, it skips the animation most times for some reason.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wiggum2007 said:

Was it in Torquemada? I posted about the same thing earlier, a snake was there killing people. :lol

Wiggum2007

Papercuts said:
Was it in Torquemada? I posted about the same thing earlier, a snake was there killing people. :lol

Ha yes it was! I couldn't remember the name of the place when I posted so I didn't include it.

Psy-Phi

DTLIONS1013 said:

You can skip it by dismounting your horse on the dead animal, and hitting the skin button (incidentally the same button for mounting) before you finish getting off of the horse to instantly skin the animal.

It's very nice. Though I guess it's a bug.

Aurora

Clipjoint said:
I don't know if this works for everyone in terms of clearing the table at poker in Blackwater.

I saw 4 dudes playing, so I pulled out my pistol and they all scattered. I went upstairs and came back down, and only one guy was sitting at the table. I played against him, raised huge amounts each time I had anything resembling a hand, and I had him down to zero in less that 10 mins.
Does that actually count towards the Outfit unlock? The criterion reads as clearing the table of all other players, which seems to imply more than one.

Either way, I beat a table of 4 on my first try. I'm a poker whore IRL.

Definity

Finished this up tonight with 100%. I got my moneys worth if the in-game stat is correct which shows 4 days 13 hours play time. :D

One of my favorite games of this generation for sure.

God damn it, I lost some of my trophies.

I took the game at my buddy's place for the weekend, got a shit load of trophies, I was at 45% of the game.

Come back home, transfer the save files, all is good until I got a trophy for doing one of the hideouts, I check it and now it says 32%.

How do I get my trophies back or it impossible?

Treb

I missed out on the song that played in Mexico as well.

Anyway, finished the game earlier today and
the ending just totally bummed me out for the rest of day. As much as I enjoyed putting a bullet through Edgar Ross' head, I would have preferred a more simpler and happier ending for John since he deserves it. Oh well, John did went out with a bang though.

I just finished the game right now.
Back to back R* games with downer endings. At least this one didn't feel forced. The final chapter of the game is really amazing when I think about it. I really thought the game would end when you finish Dutch. It's a great wind-down with cattle herding and ranching and bonding with the kin-folk and such. It feels like a fitting ending but I'll honestly say I don't care for it. It feels like the easy way out for kill John, even if he had it coming. I do like how you instantly take over as Jake. Overall, it's an amazing game with great period style. I don't know if I'll be replaying it as much as GTA but I'll keep it around for a long time.

UrbanRats

Seraphis Cain said:
Aw, come on. That's GameFAQs message board humor right there.

(Seriously, just try looking for information on where to find beavers on the RDR GFAQS forum. Every reply is "HURR HURR IT MEANS VAGINA".)
You're right but let it slide, it's been a shitty day for me. :lol

Aurora said:
Does that actually count towards the Outfit unlock? The criterion reads as clearing the table of all other players, which seems to imply more than one.

Either way, I beat a table of 4 on my first try. I'm a poker whore IRL.

Nope. You only need to beat one. It was real easy for me. I just bet low or folded until there was only one left, quit, saved and returned. Then all I did was go all in on the first hand until I won. The laws of probability mean you will eventually win. Took just 3 times about and got the win 2000 chips achievement to boot.

BobTheFork said:
I just finished the game right now.
Back to back R* games with downer endings. At least this one didn't feel forced. The final chapter of the game is really amazing when I think about it. I really thought the game would end when you finish Dutch. It's a great wind-down with cattle herding and ranching and bonding with the kin-folk and such. It feels like a fitting ending but I'll honestly say I don't care for it. It feels like the easy way out for kill John, even if he had it coming. I do like how you instantly take over as Jake. Overall, it's an amazing game with great period style. I don't know if I'll be replaying it as much as GTA but I'll keep it around for a long time.

Did you do the last stranger mission to get 100 prrcent, because that's not the end.

bathala

Banned
make things easier for u on poker.

push one of the guys on the table before u sit down. some of them will run, but one will remain.

this is how I got one those requirement
for an outfit

GillianSeed79 said:
Did you do the last stranger mission to get 100 prrcent, because that's not the end.
Well if I thought that was the ending than I didn't finish I guess. I'm not even close to 100 yet. I have lots to do.

Leunam

So I was picking flowers like a nancy boy and some limping guy asks for help. I go over to him only to get side swiped by a bear. As I scramble to get up I focus on him to see if stealth bear will attack him but some other bear came up and death hugged him to death instead. Then I got mauled by stealth bear.

God I love this game.

Also, some lady tried to steal my horse outside Armadillo, and I'm all like, "nuh-uh bitch," and I whistle for my horse so she gets bucked off. I get back on Old Bucky, lasso her up and drag her for 2 seconds before I hear a fucking cougar have his way with her.

Easy way to clear a poker table is to cheat and get caught and duel/kill everyone at the table until only one person is left. Get a good hand and go all in and that's it. Took me 5 minutes to clear the blackwater table for one of the outfit requirements.

Top Bottom