• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ShockingAlberto said:
It took me around an hour to win the five finger fillet game and when I was done I murdered everyone in the town

I just got used to the timing early on, since the pattern never changes I found it super easy to get a ton of money.

Clearing the poker table in blackwater though...I'll probably keep that until the end, I only managed to clear it once in a different area by pretty much bluffing the whole time. Didn't seem as successful there, and I suck at poker.

theJwac

For beavers:

Go up north by the
wreck of the serendipity
and even further north by where you find the violet flowers in the snow. You should find several.

"ALERT
You were removed from your session and returned to Free Roam due to connection issues with other players."

Every time I try and go to multiplayer (don't actually get into a game at all).

And then it goes back to the loading screen and stays there forever. Have to quit to dashboard or sign out of my XBL account to do anything.

theJwac

When I got to the level 10 hunting challenge and had to kill
brumas the bear
it was already dead. I was able to skin it and everything and got the challenge completed. Anyone else see this happen on any of the
legendary animals?

STG

HadesGigas said:
"ALERT
You were removed from your session and returned to Free Roam due to connection issues with other players."

Every time I try and go to multiplayer (don't actually get into a game at all).

And then it goes back to the loading screen and stays there forever. Have to quit to dashboard or sign out of my XBL account to do anything.
welcome in my world

Only thing I can do is, make a private match and invite my friends

that is working

TTG

Jeff Stephen said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD9yv6UKfws

99.9% complete here. Repeat Bounty missions is infuriating.

Why bother with the crime/bounty/waste of ammo? Equip the 22 shot repeater and head over to Tumbleweed or something, I did it in one try. Just make sure you don't holster your weapon and it won't reload on you.

Also, if your bounties are repeating, you're done with that area.

theJwac said:
Repeat Bounty missions? You have to do the same ones over and over?
It seems to be random and just a heads up...
8 missions in New Austin, 8 in Nuevo Paraiso (currently on 7), 4 in West Elizabeth.
You'll find this under your stats - score.

Listening to the soundtrack now and have a question:

Is "Dead Man's Gun" played anywhere during the game? Is it in the game's closing credits? I'm trying to remember. Also, "Compass" is the song played when Marston rides back to his ranch, right? Thanks. I already forgot. :p

Concept17

Speaking of bounty missions... I was doing one the other day...completed it..saved...went on to do something else...got mauled by a cougar. Game re-loads and suddenly I'm at the start of the last bounty mission. So I say fuck it and head back toward the guy. Only this time after tying him down and looting the chest in his house... a couple backups come rolling in before I could get on my horse. In my haste to kill them...one rode around behind my horse just as I aimed at him and I shot my horse directly in the head....lost some honor...and the game started slowing down to a halt until it just crashed completely.

So fucking random.

Does anyone else actually find it hard to be "bad" in this game considering how much john tries to be good? In other gta's, mass effects, and stuff like that I'm always the asshole but in this.. I just cant do it. Can't bring myself to aim for a guys balls in a duel, cant bring myself to even point a gun at a lawman..

WTF @ the ending

I was nice to everyone in the game and helped out random people. Time for Blackwater to be purged. Just need to find a building/area where theres only one way in so I can mow down lawmen trying to get me.

Gooster said:
Listening to the soundtrack now and have a question:

Is "Dead Man's Gun" played anywhere during the game? Is it in the game's closing credits?

End credits.

Speaking of random I was on a bounty mission in Nekoti Rock and was knocked off the mountain by a Bear. Instant death. :lol

So I just finished the story and..well...
kinda upset about how it turned out. I don't even know if I feel like 100 percenting anymore now that I have to play with this punk ass kid who keeps yelling "Work ya damn nag!" I mean, sure it makes the story a little more epic and interesting by straying away from the same old predictable and boring bullshit but damn...I miss my man John already...:(

Aurora

theJwac said:
When I got to the level 10 hunting challenge and had to kill
brumas the bear
it was already dead. I was able to skin it and everything and got the challenge completed. Anyone else see this happen on any of the
legendary animals?
The same thing happened to me, except that I actually heard
Bruma
scream, I looked around trying to locate it, and it just came rolling down the mountain already dead :lol
I think it's just bad coding that makes it aggro you too early on so it goes on a kamikaze charge down the mountain to find you.

What the fuck is with the amount of people here posting spoilers without tagging them?

I've already beat the game, but for the sake of people who haven't, use some fucking common sense already. That also includes people dropping hints. Just because you're not outright stating what happens doesn't mean you aren't giving small details away.

Arcipello

Question how come im the only one who NEVER heard any Jose Gonzalez track while in mexico.... everyone goes on about it and it NEVER played for me:( very sad panda here

Arcipello said:
Question how come im the only one who NEVER heard any Jose Gonzalez track while in mexico.... everyone goes on about it and it NEVER played for me:( very sad panda here
Did you jump off the horse to loot the two bodies first

Arcipello

ShockingAlberto said:
Did you jump off the horse to loot the two bodies first

no actually one of the guys was still alive while the cutscene with irish played and then i had to kill him after it finished since he was shooting me..... im guessing this messed up some VERY fragile trigger that sets the music playing.

blanky

Jeff Stephen said:
8 missions in New Austin, 8 in Nuevo Paraiso (currently on 7), 4 in West Elizabeth.

It's not really random just vague. It's 8/8/4 areas, not missions. They have a number of named bounties and a number of just weird folks. For those people who stay in one area a lot doing more bounties than there are locations. For a 100% you only need to complete every location once, so just look at the bounty before you take it and check if you have finished a bounty at that location already.

Welp, RDR truly passed the barometer of being a great game for me. I picked up Modnation Racers and NBA 2k10 the other day while I was in the middle of RDR's story. Left it for one day, and had the urge to come back already..

Aesius

Bobbyrawlins said:
So I just finished the story and..well...
kinda upset about how it turned out. I don't even know if I feel like 100 percenting anymore now that I have to play with this punk ass kid who keeps yelling "Work ya damn nag!" I mean, sure it makes the story a little more epic and interesting by straying away from the same old predictable and boring bullshit but damn...I miss my man John already...:(

I hated him at first too, but he kind of grows on you. I still prefer John, but Jack's not bad. He's still a better R* protagonist than Luis.

SamuraiX-

Question... After the mission
An Appointed Time
, is it natural that the town of
Escalera
is completely deserted in terms of the general store, gun shop, and doctor? I've been waiting for them to respawn and I know it should probably take several days, but should I be worried? Hope this isn't a glitch...

Patriotsbball5460 said:
Welp, RDR truly passed the barometer of being a great game for me. I picked up Modnation Racers and NBA 2k10 the other day while I was in the middle of RDR's story. Left it for one day, and had the urge to come back already..

2K11 is gonna be out in a few short months, should have just waited for that. ;)

I heard 2K10 is a glitch-fest...

Filldough

Opus Angelorum said:
This game is absolutely beautiful, it's the first in quite some time to remind me how far visuals have progressed.

The lighting alone is amazing to me. Watching the sunlight filter through trees. Or last night my brother was playing and literally riding into the sunset. It was beautiful... It reminded me of home.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
End game spoilers/questions:

I really liked how the ranch part showed Uncle, Jack, and Abigail doing things. Abigail walked around the house and cooked, I saw Jack practice shooting after some of the hunting missions, Uncle was always walking around. It's a shame once you're Jack they're all dead, because nobody else does that. I would've loved to see the other characters roam around even after being done with them, added a lot.

My question is about Uncle. I got the dialogue hunting wolves with Jack that he isn't actually John's uncle, but everyone calls him that. Was he a member of the gang? Why was he at the ranch?

Papercuts said:
End game spoilers/questions:

I really liked how the ranch part showed Uncle, Jack, and Abigail doing things. Abigail walked around the house and cooked, I saw Jack practice shooting after some of the hunting missions, Uncle was always walking around. It's a shame once you're Jack they're all dead, because nobody else does that. I would've loved to see the other characters roam around even after being done with them, added a lot.

My question is about Uncle. I got the dialogue hunting wolves with Jack that he isn't actually John's uncle, but everyone calls him that. Was he a member of the gang? Why was he at the ranch?
Both Abigail and John knew him since they were kids, and John refers to him as an old thief, so he probably ran with the gang or was associated with them in some way. Doesn't seem John had much respect for him, so it was likely a drunk thief Dutch just kind of used occasionally and also wanted out of that life.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Arcipello said:

Cause you went to Mexico expecting tacos

heringer

Just got the game, played a couple hours (PS3 version).

So, apparently Rockstar still thinks that giving an always run option is a crime against humanity and kept the stupid hold X to run BS. Thankfully, THANKFULLY now your character auto runs while engaged in combat. That makes a huge difference. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to run and fucking aim at the same time Rockstar. Too bad I still can't run/ride a horse and move the camera unless I have my weapon drawn.

Ok, rant is over. Game is aewsome and I'm loving it. Definitely better than GTA4, both in gameplay and performance. Can't wait to try it online. :D

Rebel Leader

Filldough said:
The lighting alone is amazing to me. Watching the sunlight filter through trees. Or last night my brother was playing and literally riding into the sunset. It was beautiful... It reminded me of home.

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam
And the deer and the antelope play
Where seldom is heard a discouraging word
And the skies are not cloudy all day

Home, home on the range
Where the deer and the antelope play

How often at night when the heavens are bright
With the light from the glittering stars
Have I stood there amazed and asked as I gazed
If their glory exceeds that of ours

Home, home on the range

Where the air is so pure, the zephyrs so free
The breezes so balmy and light
That I would not exchange my home on the range
For all of the cities so bright

Home, home on the range

Oh, I love those wild flow'rs in this dear land of ours
The curlew, I love to hear scream
And I love the white rocks and the antelope flocks
That graze on the mountaintops green

Home, home on the range

:D

:lol Man no wonder the buffalo are nearly extinct. I rode on the train (literally on roof of the cars) through the great plains and saw a herd of buffalo run right into the steaming train :lol

8 buffalo hides later...

squicken

Jeff Stephen said:

I had the same situation, where bounty posters just showed a question mark. But doing those bounties counted towards the total. I had 3 bounties left in Mexico, all had "?", but still counted towards my 100%.

I finally got my 100%, and I love the Bureau Outfit, but now there's really nothing left to do. Too bad there isn't a new game+

SamuraiX- said:
2K11 is gonna be out in a few short months, should have just waited for that. ;)

I heard 2K10 is a glitch-fest...

Sorry for the OT talk people, just have to respond to it

Yes, it is a glitch-fest, I had a game against the Magic freeze 3 straight times at halftime, so i had to simulate through it. But, its a pretty good game nonetheless

Barrett2

I was up in the snowy mountains, some dude comes running at me, says he needs my help.

Naturally, i hog-tie him, drop him right next to the window of the cabin, pour bait all over him, and go inside the cabin and look out the window and watch the bears come for him.

Now that i beat the game I am quickly losing steam. Other than mass-murdering people, I'm losing interest to do anything else. But it was a hell of a ride!

Hixx

Its taken me over 20 hours to realise it but John Marston is the probably my favourite new character of this generation. I've never cringed at anything he's said, been annoyed at something he's done when I'm not in control... infact that's something I'd say as a whole the game does well. The writing is so much better than GTAIV's.

I'm nearing the end now, I would say I was very, very close infact
working through the families missions now
, and the game has gotten better and better. I thought it would run out of steam but its kept going strong. I think 20-22 hours is about right, it took me about 35 to complete GTAIV first time round and that started to drag a bit.

lawblob said:
Now that i beat the game I am quickly losing steam. Other than mass-murdering people, I'm losing interest to do anything else. But it was a hell of a ride!

I'm in the same spot as you. I've got almost 100 hours in the game and I'm just burnt out. I didn't even manage to complete the game. Once I got to Blackwater I went all out exploring. I'm going to give it a rest for a week or so and see if that sparks anything. I am overall disappointed with the multiplayer. Every time in the past I've tried to play it I've been disconnected constantly. Very disappointing.

It's always sad when you get to this point with a game you love, and have waited so long to play.

Rebel Leader

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I'm in the same spot as you. I've got almost 100 hours in the game and I'm just burnt out. I didn't even manage to complete the game. Once I got to Blackwater I went all out exploring. I'm going to give it a rest for a week or so and see if that sparks anything. I am overall disappointed with the multiplayer. Every time in the past I've tried to play it I've been disconnected constantly. Very disappointing.

It's always sad when you get to this point with a game you love, and have waited so long to play.

Savior the moments, don't wolf them down

Top Bottom