• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

BattleMonkey said:
I really don't see what was so awesome about entering mexico, slightly different terrain and some hokey music?

Yeah opinion is definetly divided on whether its awesome or meh, I didnt really get it either.

Net_Wrecker said:
Yeah ummm, the town "hating you" for saving the woman isn't a glitch. The place is called THIEVES LANDING for a reason. Next time, you mind your own business and it'll be all good.

Actually, almost every visit to Thieves' Landing is met by someone running off with a bound woman screaming for help. I gun the guy down, cut the woman free, nobody except the woman seems to care in my game.

Although my biggest issue with Thieves' Landing is that it seems to be the buggiest town, at least in my game. Nothing game-breaking, just odd glitches here and there.

pr0cs

Gooster said:
Actually, almost every visit to Thieves' Landing is met by someone running off with a bound woman screaming for help. I gun the guy down, cut the woman free, nobody except the woman seems to care in my game.

Although my biggest issue with Thieves' Landing is that it seems to be the buggiest town, at least in my game. Nothing game-breaking, just odd glitches here and there.
it is probably due to the costume the character is wearing. I was attacked on site in Thieves' Landing the other day,l'm pretty sure it was because I was wearing the Bowler outfit.

denomes

pr0cs said:
it is probably due to the costume the character is wearing. I was attacked on site in Thieves' Landing the other day,l'm pretty sure it was because I was wearing the Bowler outfit.

Whenever I go there I wear the bandanna because everyone is so hostile and I inevitably end up murdering a whole bunch of people.

pr0cs said:

I suppose you're right, there. The only costumes I'm usually wearing in RDR are the Cowboy, Duster, and Poncho and no one gives me a problem. The Bandito one is pretty cool, too.

Too bad I am unlocking these outfits as Jack, and not John. I even decided to replay a few missions, and I felt this strange pang of nostalgia. I am actually missing John. :(

I found this camp yesterday:

spetfr.jpg

2hdb985.jpg

:O

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm currently (end game)
playing as Jack... does this mean I beat the game? A bit confused here...

Plasma

Banned
Yoshichan said:
I'm currently (end game)
playing as Jack... does this mean I beat the game? A bit confused here...

There is another stranger mission in Blackwater that you have to do to officially complete it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just beat it. 87%, gotta fix the rest... after that, it's time for impressions.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I made it to Mexico last night finally... I actually just did it cause I wanted to hear the music.... Skip was right, it is indeed epic!

I also died for the first two times last night. Fucking cougars were demolishing me. At one point I got attacked back to back to back. Three freakin' cougars watching each other's backs.

Wellington said:
I made it to Mexico last night finally... I actually just did it cause I wanted to hear the music.... Skip was right, it is indeed epic!

Did you make the right decision and not get off the horse? Or pick flowers or anything like that? Did you learn from my failure?!?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm happy for knowing about this Mexico music thing beforehand, I haven't reached the place yet and I'll damn sure not get off my horse. A friend got to that part earlier this week and when I asked him about this moment everyone loves he asked "what music? I got there and saved the game on the campfire".

watership

Having major issues disarming 6 guys without reloading. I have wepaons with large clips, try and get into a room with 6 guys with guns close, pull my gun, they pull theirs, Moonshine, DEAD EYE. Nope. killed or one guy runs instead of shooting, or runs behind another guy and my line of sight is screwed. Then i try and move around and, usually, dead.

Anyone have better luck?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
watership said:
Having major issues disarming 6 guys without reloading. I have wepaons with large clips, try and get into a room with 6 guys with guns close, pull my gun, they pull theirs, Moonshine, DEAD EYE. Nope. killed or one guy runs instead of shooting, or runs behind another guy and my line of sight is screwed. Then i try and move around and, usually, dead.

Anyone have better luck?

Don't attack 6 guys at the same time. That's just asking to be killed.

I did it inside Gaptooth Mines where you face 1 or 2 guys at once as you move through it.

Using a gun with a large clip also helps.

Haunted

watership said:

Anyone have better luck?
You don't have to do it in one dead eye or anything. Just one clip.

Get the Evans Repeater out and do the Gaptooth Ridge hideout mission. Lots of enemies encountered in a narrow hallway should make things easier.

edit: why you gotta do this to me, tempy? :mad:

watership said:

Anyone have better luck?

Empty all the weapons bullets so you only have whats left in the gun, I just rode around found 3 guys by a wagon, disarmed all of them a few times then they ran off, rode around for a few more minutes and found 2 more guys and disarmed them and that was that.

Dead Man

watership said:

Anyone have better luck?
Grab the Mauser, fire all rounds except one mag of 15, go to Pikes Basin, disarm the three guys at the start, let them pick up their weapons, disarm them again.

Really, the main thing is to fire all the rounds except one mag, then he won't reload. You can even miss a few times and you are still good.

Edit: So beaten! :lol

watership said:

Anyone have better luck?

I did it at Thieves Landing and it was pretty easy.

Fully completed this last night. 100% and unlocked the final outfit.
Odd choice of wardrobe... for Jack.
Before I forget, a good spot to rack up 500 kills with a mounted weapon?

Jeff Stephen said:
Fully completed this last night. 100% and unlocked the final outfit.
Odd choice of wardrobe... for Jack.
Before I forget, a good spot to rack up 500 kills with a mounted weapon?

The cannon fort in east mexico? El Presidiro or something

levious said:
did you not get on the horse waiting for you?

ThirstyFly said:
I believe there's certain things that stop the song from playing, such as picking a plant. It doesn't start right away either, so is it possible you stopped to pick a plant or skin an animal when you first got there?

Ah yeah, that's probably what went wrong. I wanted to ride my own horse.

Holy fuck holy fuck, just finished it, what a god damn ending, that's how you do an ending people. Rockstar so fucking awesome. god damn GOTY

BTW people here were talking about credits, how do you get to that part?
I am Jack now and just saved at the ranch, but no other missions are available right now., where is the credits?

Solo said:
Rockstar Social Club is completely fucked for me. It still shows my progress being at 0% even though Im at 40.7% :lol And yet it shows my Achievements correctly :lol

Fuck the Social Club. After it didn't register my 100% in time for the Keys to the City challenge (which I totally did) for GTA IV, I vowed never to go back there again.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I feel like it should be added to the OT or something that you haven't beat the game until the credits roll. It's way too easy to get to that certain point where you think you've seen all the game has to offer.

RadicalRad said:
So best random event:

I was doing a bounty originating in Blackwater for a particularly nasty fellow wanted for murder. He was located at the burnt down log houses near Tall trees. As I'm having a shootout with him and his gang I suddenly hear someone yelling "Help!" over and over. As I was busy fighting for my life I didn't turn around.

The npc yelling runs in front of me right through the middle of the gun fight with a bear chasing him down! It was hilarious. I of course downed the bear as it crossed my fire line. The npc thanks me and runs off, well, at least tries to run off. After his brush with death with a bear he falls prey to gang crossfire, poor guy. But so amusing.
:lol

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Wellington said:

I also died for the first two times last night. Fucking cougars were demolishing me. At one point I got attacked back to back to back. Three freakin' cougars watching each other's backs.

Yeah, when I first got to Mexico and the music came up, it was early morning, suns coming up. The horse slowly galloping towards El Presido (on that cliff side trail). Epic feeling.

I've made it to the Beecher's Home missions. Yeah, the ongoing creepy music is making me feel uncomfortable...

Darklord

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
Gonna try that :lol :lol :lol

I just tried it. It works on everything. Awesome fun.:lol

I also found the new joy of going town to town stabbing people to death with the throwing knives(with the close quarters move it does although weird the actual big knife you can't do it). Good times.:lol

Wiggum2007

'Love is the Opiate' Stranger quest help needed:
So is there anywhere in Mexico that Hungarian Half-breds spawn reliably? See, I already have one, however I am going for the 20 missions with the same horse achievement, and because I have several missions logged with it I don't want to give it up. Also, I can't use the Hungarian Half-bred deed to get another one because it doesn't let you use it when you have that same horse.

Wiggum2007 said:
So is there anywhere in Mexico that Hungarian Half-breds spawn? See, I already have one, however I am going for the 20 missions with the same horse achievement, and because I have several missions logged with it I don't want to give it up. Also, I can't use the Hungarian Half-bred deed to get another one because it doesn't let you use it when you have that same horse.

I found it not too far from where the quest spawned. I think I was done about 5 minutes after getting the quest. :lol

Booshka

Wiggum2007 said:
So is there anywhere in Mexico that Hungarian Half-breds spawn reliably? See, I already have one, however I am going for the 20 missions with the same horse achievement, and because I have several missions logged with it I don't want to give it up. Also, I can't use the Hungarian Half-bred deed to get another one because it doesn't let you use it when you have that same horse.
I find them around Diez Coronas mostly.

I was riding the train around there when I saw one, jumped off the train and ran after it.

Wiggum2007 said:
I'd like to know this as well. I'd rather not spend that much money on a side quest.

Salami Inferno said:
As long as you don't hitch another horse the progress in the 20 missions with same horse achievement is intact.

I didn't have that horse before so stole the horse after the quest was was completed. :lol

Wiggum2007

Salami Inferno said:
As long as you don't hitch another horse the progress in the 20 missions with same horse achievement is intact.

Ok, so if I give up my white horse for the mission, I can whistle for it afterwards and it will come back good as new?

edit: Yup that worked perfectly, silly me, should've tried that before I went horse hunting for an hour. :lol

Dever

Banned
Wiggum2007 said:

I gave him the horse I currently had. He freed the chinese guy and got on the horse. Then, I shot him and took my horse back. Don't know if that breaks the achievement you're trying to get though!

Wiggum2007 said:
Ok, so if I give up my white horse for the mission, I can whistle for it afterwards and it will come back good as new?

edit: Yup that worked perfectly, silly me, should've tried that before I went horse hunting for an hour. :lol

Im pretty sure when I gave up mine for that mission I had to use the deed to get it so it would count as a brand new horse, i would wait till you get the achievement before carrying on with it.

Wiggum2007

kyo_daikun said:
Im pretty sure when I gave up mine for that mission I had to use the deed to get it so it would count as a brand new horse, i would wait till you get the achievement before carrying on with it.

Ok I'll walk through what I did. Pre-mission, I'd already tamed a white horse and was using it for the 20 mission achievement. I'd also bought the deed for that breed, but the game won't let you use a deed if your current horse is of the same breed. So, I just went and did it with my current white stallion, and it played the cutscene showing me giving him the horse, and after the cutscene the horse was still there. Now, rather than stealing that one, I instead whistled, and since I have a Hungarian as my saved horse that is what came. I know it still counts towards the achievement because I then went and hitched him, and the game didn't save, and the game automatically auto-saves when you hitch a new horse.

SamuraiX-

The Lamonster said:
I'd like to know this as well. I'd rather not spend that much money on a side quest.

As soon as you receive the mission, pull out your map and look to the southeast corner for an area north of Diez Coronas and west of Torquemada. There should be some grassy plains around there with images of horses on it. That's your area. It's really easy to find too. Just look for the horse that is pure white.

Top Bottom